News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• December 14, 2017, 03:20:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2675749 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5940 on: June 20, 2014, 07:09:28 AM »
I purchased a copy of a biography of Wizard of Oz and gone with the Wind director Victor Fleming from a shop on Amazon. It was described as being in "used -- acceptable" condition.

It was not acceptable. Every outside surface of the book was gritty and visibly dirty, and the cover was badly ripped. I don't mean a small tear; I mean badly ripped. I could barely stand touching the thing.

Amazon gave me my money back, but I'm never shopping at this one Amazon shop again -- and I did something with the book that I almost never do -- I chucked it into the trash.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Goosey

« Reply #5941 on: June 20, 2014, 07:19:03 AM »
I thought used books were usually through private vendors! I didn't realize amazon sold them directly.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #5942 on: June 20, 2014, 08:02:17 AM »
It usually says "sold by vendor name", fulfilled by Amazon.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

GreenHall

« Reply #5943 on: June 20, 2014, 08:12:43 AM »
I think even when it's private vendors, they are still doing business through Amazon's name, and Amazon wants the customer to be happy. 
My only experience with this was a no-show book.  I am pretty sure the vendor was removed from Amazon.  Not sure if mine was the only complaint.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5944 on: June 20, 2014, 08:26:31 AM »
I had a no-show book and took too long to deal with it (I emailed the vendor multiple times, etc.), and missed out on the A-Z guarantee.  Oops.  Fortunately it was only $5.  I always wondered what happened to the vendor.  Great reviews for years, and then starting right around the time I purchased my book, tons of complaints from people saying that their books didn't arrive.  It was like he dropped off the face of the Earth.  I honestly wondered if he died or got very sick and didn't have anybody who knew to close his account, so people continued to buy books from him that never arrived.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5945 on: June 20, 2014, 08:28:27 AM »
Yeah, that's what I meant--  a vendor through Amazon. I was blanking on the word "vendor." But it was through Amazon Prime.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5946 on: June 24, 2014, 07:40:26 AM »
Southwest Airlines

We were eating lunch at a restaurant on our way to the airport. This was on a Thursday and we were flying to Fort Lauderdale to catch a cruise on Saturday.  I received an email from Southwest saying they had cancelled our flight.  We were suppose to fly to Baltimore (just a stop, didn't have to change planes) and then on.  Well, the leg from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale was cancelled.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I got online (thankfully we had our iPad with us) as well as called them.  There was no way to get us down there on Thursday and only 1 seat was left for their flights Friday.  That was it.  She offered no more.  I asked if they could book us on another airline.  No.  I asked if they flew out of Chicago.  Good news!  They have a direct flight on Friday.  Oops, that one only has 1 seat.  Hey, found another!  But, it will cost $360 PER TICKET more to get that flight.  I was dumbfounded.  Charge us double what we paid because they cancelled our flights?!  I had asked why it was cancelled and she said she didn't really know but it looks like there were a lot of delays by air traffic control.  Uh, what?  So our option was to lose a day of vacation, drive to Chicago, lose the $ on the hotel we had reserved in Fort Lauderdale for that night AND pay $720 for the privilege to fly Southwest out of Chicago.  Not my finest moment but I told her coolly/calmly that we would drive to Fort Lauderdale before we paid them more money (which would have been about a 24 hour drive).  Thankfully we were able to fly Allegaint Air that evening to Orlando and rented a car and drove to Fort Lauderdale.  We were still ahead money-wise than Southwest's solution.  I'm hoping to get Southwest to reimburse us for the rental car but I'm not hopeful. 

ladyknight1

« Reply #5947 on: June 24, 2014, 07:49:03 AM »
Make your story into a social media mess for them. On their facebook page, write a review and mention all the details pertinent. I would also go on Tripadvisor and do the same.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5948 on: June 24, 2014, 07:56:54 AM »
Make your story into a social media mess for them. On their facebook page, write a review and mention all the details pertinent. I would also go on Tripadvisor and do the same.
Do I need a facebook account to get to their facebook page?  I've never quite understood facebook.  Thanks for the suggestion of TripAdvisor.  I use their site frequently.

ladyknight1

« Reply #5949 on: June 24, 2014, 07:57:54 AM »
You might be able to post as a guest on their facebook page.
-J.R.R Tolkien

PastryGoddess

« Reply #5950 on: June 24, 2014, 08:05:10 AM »
Do I need a facebook account to get to their facebook page?  I've never quite understood facebook.  Thanks for the suggestion of TripAdvisor.  I use their site frequently.

You can tweet via text message with no account.  But they won't be able to respond

z_squared82

« Reply #5951 on: June 24, 2014, 08:16:07 AM »
Southwest Airlines

We were eating lunch at a restaurant on our way to the airport. This was on a Thursday and we were flying to Fort Lauderdale to catch a cruise on Saturday.  I received an email from Southwest saying they had cancelled our flight.  We were suppose to fly to Baltimore (just a stop, didn't have to change planes) and then on.  Well, the leg from Baltimore to Fort Lauderdale was cancelled.  Sorry for the inconvenience.  I got online (thankfully we had our iPad with us) as well as called them.  There was no way to get us down there on Thursday and only 1 seat was left for their flights Friday.  That was it.  She offered no more.  I asked if they could book us on another airline.  No.  I asked if they flew out of Chicago.  Good news!  They have a direct flight on Friday.  Oops, that one only has 1 seat.  Hey, found another!  But, it will cost $360 PER TICKET more to get that flight.  I was dumbfounded.  Charge us double what we paid because they cancelled our flights?!  I had asked why it was cancelled and she said she didn't really know but it looks like there were a lot of delays by air traffic control.  Uh, what?  So our option was to lose a day of vacation, drive to Chicago, lose the $ on the hotel we had reserved in Fort Lauderdale for that night AND pay $720 for the privilege to fly Southwest out of Chicago.  Not my finest moment but I told her coolly/calmly that we would drive to Fort Lauderdale before we paid them more money (which would have been about a 24 hour drive).  Thankfully we were able to fly Allegaint Air that evening to Orlando and rented a car and drove to Fort Lauderdale.  We were still ahead money-wise than Southwest's solution.  I'm hoping to get Southwest to reimburse us for the rental car but I'm not hopeful.

Dang.

No, they won't reimburse you for the rental car, but since you didn't use the flight b/c of a change they made, they should refund the tickets. Or, at least that's what Delta would do. Sometimes I think the cheaper airlines are cheaper only b/c they really don't care about customer service.

BarensMom

« Reply #5952 on: June 24, 2014, 08:23:15 AM »
Southwest Airlines

Dang.

No, they won't reimburse you for the rental car, but since you didn't use the flight b/c of a change they made, they should refund the tickets. Or, at least that's what Delta would do. Sometimes I think the cheaper airlines are cheaper only b/c they really don't care about customer service.

If they give you any difficulty, call your credit card company and dispute it.  You can request it for either partial refund or for the full amount.

When Hertz messed up my reservation made through and paid to SW Vacations, I requested a refund and got the runaround (first 3 days, then 10 days, then was told they would have to "investigate" and it would take up to 30 days).  I finally called VISA and put the amount of the rental (~$200) into dispute.  A few days later, the refund for that amount appeared in my account.

Black Delphinium

• The Black Flower
« Reply #5953 on: June 24, 2014, 08:24:10 AM »
Dang.

That is what I tell people all the time about "budget" services- Customer Service is a great way to cut overheard, because by the time they need it, you already have their money.
When angels go bad, they go worse than anyone. Remember, Lucifer was an angel. ~The Marquis De Carabas

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5954 on: June 24, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
We received a full refund that day.  I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that is was totally logical to the Service Rep to charge us double to fly out of a different city.  They had the empty seats, they had our money, and it would have gone a long way to rectify the situation.  Now they did not have our money and possibly those seats were empty on the flight down (which was direct and had to cost them less to fly than our original flight).

I figured out how to post on their website and facebook page.  I'm not holding my breath or anything.