Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1186967 times)

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5940 on: June 04, 2014, 04:27:34 PM »
I think frustrations with pharmacies in general are often more due to insurance than the pharmacy themselves, but there seems to be a particularly frustrating intersection between insurance companies and mail order pharmacies.

I think it's because a lot of the point of mail order pharmacies is to keep a consistent supply and save a bit of money by buying in bulk. So when the supply isn't consistent (because of insurance company policies or pharmacy ones), or there aren't any significant cost savings (for whatever reason), it's more intensely frustrating than it would be at a brick and mortar store. Because at least at brick and mortar store, you can get a prescription filled the same day (sometimes even within the hour), but mail order pharmacies can't do that.

It makes me very appreciative of the fact that my insurance company will now allow me to get a 90-day supply of medication at my local retail pharmacy (rather than just the 30-day supply I could get before). And even more appreciative that the only medication I or my husband take regularly is free because it counts as preventive care.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5941 on: June 04, 2014, 08:08:12 PM »
Our insurance company always charges less when you get it from their mail order division.  You have to get a 90 day supply, but it's cheaper than picking it up at the pharmacy.

Unfortunately, the only drug I use is an inhaler and that can't be sent through the mail because it's sensitive to temperatures.  (A mailbox can easily get to over 100 degrees F. in the summer and significantly below freezing in the winter here.)

NyaChan

« Reply #5942 on: June 14, 2014, 01:13:34 PM »
I've got two unfortunately

1)  My parents want to remodel their bathroom.  They'd looked into it 3 years ago, but weren't ready to spend the amount they'd have needed to to get what they wanted.  Now that they are ready, they've budgeted $20k and got a quote from a new contractor in the area.  My mom wasn't thrilled with the design and they redesigned it, but she still remembered the company they'd originally spoken to and gotten an estimate from.  So she called them asking for an appointment and mentioned that she'd had them over about 3 years ago and she'd remembered them now that they were ready to do the project.  She was told that someone would be in touch - cue phone call from the guy who'd viewed their house last time. 

He was super confrontational and asks well "what changed? why should I think that you're actually going to go through with it this time?"  and starts berating my mother and ranting about how people think it is okay to just call them in on a whim with no serious intent.  After my mom listened to a bit of it, she summoned up an inner steel spine I didn't think she had and coolly informed him that she had no intention of convincing him that she was serious and that she no longer wanted him to give her an estimate.  Cue back-tracking on his end, but she simply restated, "No, I don't want an estimate from you anymore, there are any number of other contractors in the area who I'd much prefer to work with now," and ended the call.

She told me that she didn't know if he was the owner himself or else she would have called and informed them of their loss of business at his hands.  I did ask how far they'd gone with them last time (was wondering if he was feeling burned or something) and she basically said that this was what had her most confused - all they'd done was come to the house, gone over what she had in mind, and named a sum.  My parents talked it over, decided it wasn't the right time for it, and called them to let them know. 

2) My sister just finished her residency and my parents decided to give a lunch for family and friends at a popular Middle Eastern Restaurant in the city.  It is very popular for large gatherings - my cousin had her post-wedding wrap-up brunch there with the whole family - and for their buffet.  They now have two locations that are doing very well.  My mom called two months in advance to book a party of 25.  They have three rooms - one is quite large with a bar in the back and in the past they've set up the buffet there with tables around it.  They have another medium sized room and then a smaller room where they've put parties of larger groups in the past.  After making multiple confirmations, we show up to a restaurant that is so packed with people that there is barely room to walk.  The restaurant for reasons I can't understand booked two parties of 100 people, plus our party of 25, and was still taking walk-in diners.  That in and of itself could be okay since they have capacity to seat that many, but here is the part that makes me want to tear my hair out - they put the buffet in the small room. 

My parent's party was shoved in the back of the small room with walk-ins seated towards the front, with one buffet right by the door and 250 people all trying to get food.  I watched as walk-ins were offered drinks while my parents had to corner a waiter to demand water and drinks be offered at our tables after 30+ minutes had passed.  Our guests could barely get food - the queue was impossibly long and when they arrived, they had to fight just to get in the room where we were seated.  Included in our guests - my mom's uncle who just had heart surgery but made a huge effort to come anyways, my sister's attending who helped her get a job and has given her hundreds of dollars in gifts - my parents were mortified.  The restaurant wouldn't even apologize and tried to blame the guests for the confusion (which made no sense!).  After they way they treated us, we will not be going back - I don't care how good their dill rice is - and I know our family members who live in the area and would normally eat there frequently were ticked off as well.   

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Tirial & Errror blog
« Reply #5943 on: June 14, 2014, 02:34:01 PM »
Our branch of a chain hardware store. We needed to have some building work done, so we contacted them for a quote, and told them our price range.

The initial quote came above our price range, but as we had included a few extras it was acceptable, and we agreed to proceed. Then they sent an inspector round and revised the quote. For exactly the same work they had already quoted on - no building nasties found or any other problem - they upped the quote to one and a half times their initial quote, and over twice our price range.

We phoned up and declined, asking what had changed. They said something vague about building standards, which would have sounded fine except that those were actually itemised on the original quote. We asked if they wanted to take the smaller part of the work, where the quote was still fine. They said no, all or nothing.

Nothing sounds good. We won't be calling them again. What a waste of time.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #5944 on: June 14, 2014, 04:14:38 PM »
The place where I used to live needed a new hot water boiler.  The plumber I hired was late every day, then tried to tell me how punctual he was.  He replaced the water heater, failed to fix the shower that ran off it, and attempted to flirt with me...until his wedding ring dropped out of his spare overalls.  He also pinched the back of my neck as he passed me.

No way, no how would I ever hire him again.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5945 on: June 16, 2014, 08:58:08 AM »
Apparently Target Corp had a major computer issue yesterday that took down the registers in all locations.

People waited hours to check out. Now, I love Target, but I would leave the cart and go. There is nothing worth waiting hours for in a store for me.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5946 on: June 16, 2014, 11:52:01 AM »
Apparently Target Corp had a major computer issue yesterday that took down the registers in all locations.

People waited hours to check out. Now, I love Target, but I would leave the cart and go. There is nothing worth waiting hours for in a store for me.

I heard about that, and I agree. What's funny is I go to Target almost weekly, mainly for groceries, but also other misc stuff, and where my Target is, there's a Walmart literally down the road. I prefer Target, but what I needed/wanted, Walmart had where T did not. So rather than going where Target as I normally would, I went to Walmart instead!  someone must like me.

But I never buy anything that I'd need right then and there, or couldnt get elsewhere, so I would have left as well. And you know what, things happen. And sometimes they can't be fixed ASAP.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5947 on: June 16, 2014, 12:13:44 PM »
What I think may have been the hours waiting to check out customers are tourists. They come on their buses and load up on electronics and clothing to take back home. Sometimes one family will have two carts full.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5948 on: June 16, 2014, 12:17:56 PM »
What I think may have been the hours waiting to check out customers are tourists. They come on their buses and load up on electronics and clothing to take back home. Sometimes one family will have two carts full.

Two carts full of merchandise on a bus? That much extra for several people would not fit in the luggage bin or overhead racks or even laps, would it?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5949 on: June 16, 2014, 12:58:50 PM »
They go where the luggage goes, underneath the passenger area, and are shipped home.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5950 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26:08 PM »

Two carts full of merchandise on a bus? That much extra for several people would not fit in the luggage bin or overhead racks or even laps, would it?
They go where the luggage goes, underneath the passenger area, and are shipped home.

Hmmmm. I've never seen that there is enough room. Good to know for future reference that there is extra room there. (I used to have to help unload after 2 week  band trips.)

Xandraea

« Reply #5951 on: June 16, 2014, 09:25:59 PM »
The place where I used to live needed a new hot water boiler.  The plumber I hired was late every day, then tried to tell me how punctual he was.  He replaced the water heater, failed to fix the shower that ran off it, and attempted to flirt with me...until his wedding ring dropped out of his spare overalls.  He also pinched the back of my neck as he passed me.

No way, no how would I ever hire him again.

UGH on the touching you (pinching your neck) and the flirting. Just ugh.

I had a guy come to fix a crack in my ceiling which has a knockdown texture. It should have been quick, and I had plans to meet a friend for lunch after he was done. This guy spent 6 hours working on the crack, all the while telling me over and over again about how great he was at this job, and that it takes real expertise to fix a crack like this and get the texture of the patch to match the rest of the ceiling without re-doing the entire ceiling. I missed lunch with my friend (we were texting, made it dinner), and I was so very glad to get rid of the guy when he finally decided he was done. The patchwork, despite all his bragging, was obvious, not perfectly blended as he claimed, and the crack reappeared soon after. I've just let it exist there, as it really doesn't bother me. At least I didn't have to pay for his "repairs", as the house was under warranty then.

Queen of Clubs

« Reply #5952 on: June 18, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »

UGH on the touching you (pinching your neck) and the flirting. Just ugh.

I had a guy come to fix a crack in my ceiling which has a knockdown texture. It should have been quick, and I had plans to meet a friend for lunch after he was done. This guy spent 6 hours working on the crack, all the while telling me over and over again about how great he was at this job, and that it takes real expertise to fix a crack like this and get the texture of the patch to match the rest of the ceiling without re-doing the entire ceiling. I missed lunch with my friend (we were texting, made it dinner), and I was so very glad to get rid of the guy when he finally decided he was done. The patchwork, despite all his bragging, was obvious, not perfectly blended as he claimed, and the crack reappeared soon after. I've just let it exist there, as it really doesn't bother me. At least I didn't have to pay for his "repairs", as the house was under warranty then.

Pinching the back of my neck was the worst.  I hate having my neck touched, and from a practical stranger?  Urgh!

His telling you he's so good at his job is just like that plumber telling me how punctual he was.  Don't tell me - show me.  In both cases, they didn't.

BeagleMommy

« Reply #5953 on: June 18, 2014, 04:23:19 PM »
A dentist in my home town who is, thankfully, out of business.

Two of my wisdom teeth are partially impacted.  That's just how they came in.  I have no pain, my jaw is properly aligned and I have no difficulties chewing or talking.  They just stopped.

I went in for a cleaning and he was ready to schedule me for surgery to remove the impacted teeth.  I'm sorry, you don't just schedule a diabetic for surgery.  There has to be a lot of coordination between doctors.  When I asked why I should have them out when I had no problems he insisted they'd "give me problems in the future".

My response was "Well, if that happens you can tell me you told me so".   That was when I was 18.  I'm now 49 and the same impacted teeth are still there.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5954 on: June 18, 2014, 05:49:23 PM »
I have one of my wisdom teeth gone, but only one.  The dentist told me that it was causing the pain and swelling I was having back there.  From the taste, it was infected, too.  :P   Dentist removed the wisdom tooth.  Pain and swelling and nasty taste persisted, until I managed to floss out the popcorn hull that had gotten wedged waaaaay down in the gum, almost under the rear molar.   ::)

I'm with BeagleMommy.  If they don't bother me, I'm not going to bother them.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~