Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1212381 times)

Editeer

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5955 on: June 18, 2014, 05:58:03 PM »
A dentist in my home town who is, thankfully, out of business.

Two of my wisdom teeth are partially impacted.  That's just how they came in.  I have no pain, my jaw is properly aligned and I have no difficulties chewing or talking.  They just stopped.

I went in for a cleaning and he was ready to schedule me for surgery to remove the impacted teeth.  I'm sorry, you don't just schedule a diabetic for surgery.  There has to be a lot of coordination between doctors.  When I asked why I should have them out when I had no problems he insisted they'd "give me problems in the future".

My response was "Well, if that happens you can tell me you told me so".   That was when I was 18.  I'm now 49 and the same impacted teeth are still there.

I must have gone to the same dentist. My wisdom teeth had all come in, but they were angled in a way that meant they didn't meet, and so were useless for chewing. But they were in good condition and caused no problems. The dentist (and his assistant) really twisted my arm to have them removed, because I "wasn't getting any use" out of them, and "Someday they will decay and need fillings." I was in my 20s and something of a doormat. They only reason I was able to resist was that I had no insurance and couldn't afford surgery! I'm now 51 and I still have the teeth (and they are fine).

nuit93

« Reply #5956 on: June 18, 2014, 07:14:44 PM »
A dentist in my home town who is, thankfully, out of business.

Two of my wisdom teeth are partially impacted.  That's just how they came in.  I have no pain, my jaw is properly aligned and I have no difficulties chewing or talking.  They just stopped.

I went in for a cleaning and he was ready to schedule me for surgery to remove the impacted teeth.  I'm sorry, you don't just schedule a diabetic for surgery.  There has to be a lot of coordination between doctors.  When I asked why I should have them out when I had no problems he insisted they'd "give me problems in the future".

My response was "Well, if that happens you can tell me you told me so".   That was when I was 18.  I'm now 49 and the same impacted teeth are still there.

I must have gone to the same dentist. My wisdom teeth had all come in, but they were angled in a way that meant they didn't meet, and so were useless for chewing. But they were in good condition and caused no problems. The dentist (and his assistant) really twisted my arm to have them removed, because I "wasn't getting any use" out of them, and "Someday they will decay and need fillings." I was in my 20s and something of a doormat. They only reason I was able to resist was that I had no insurance and couldn't afford surgery! I'm now 51 and I still have the teeth (and they are fine).

Mine have some fillings but are otherwise fine, despite my former dentist repeatedly stating that "they'll need to come out one day".

They don't hurt.  They're staying.

Asharah

« Reply #5957 on: June 18, 2014, 09:08:44 PM »
Had three of mine taken out due to big cavities. They weren't impacted so I just needed Novocaine. 4th is still in. It's impacted. Dentist says, "If it's not bothering you, leave it alone."
Asharah

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #5958 on: June 19, 2014, 01:46:36 AM »
Mine were coming in sideways. They had to come out and they did.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5959 on: June 19, 2014, 02:04:28 AM »
Would it be possible to move the wisdom teeth discussion to a dedicated thread, please? Discussions about dental surgery make me feel queasy and faint.  :(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5960 on: June 19, 2014, 11:08:00 AM »
Wisdom teeth issues might seem a natural for the Gross Out thread - or start a new thread just for dental grossness?
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

StarFaerie

« Reply #5961 on: June 19, 2014, 04:19:53 PM »
Would it be possible to move the wisdom teeth discussion to a dedicated thread, please? Discussions about dental surgery make me feel queasy and faint.  :(
With all due respect, people are discussing how their dentist got it wrong which I feel belongs in this thread. Many people have things that make them feel queasy, faint or upset and in most cases people just drop out of the thread for a few pages until it moves on as long as it pretty much stays within topic. For example pest control has been discussed and I had to quit reading for a day on so as certain bugs (and not the usual suspects) make me feel very ill. We can't move every trigger to a new thread.

Of course if general wisdom tooth discussion is oncoming, then I would think a new thread would be appropriate.  Just my opinion though.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5962 on: June 19, 2014, 04:23:37 PM »
With all due respect, people are discussing how their dentist got it wrong which I feel belongs in this thread. Many people have things that make them feel queasy, faint or upset and in most cases people just drop out of the thread for a few pages until it moves on as long as it pretty much stays within topic. For example pest control has been discussed and I had to quit reading for a day on so as certain bugs (and not the usual suspects) make me feel very ill. We can't move every trigger to a new thread.

Of course if general wisdom tooth discussion is oncoming, then I would think a new thread would be appropriate.  Just my opinion though.

POD. I also have threads I have to skip reading for periods of time.

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #5963 on: June 20, 2014, 01:02:38 AM »

The discussion was starting to turn into comments related only to wisdom teeth and their growth patterns alone, rather than dentist's incompetance. I'll give this thread a skip for a couple of weeks and hope I miss the bulk of the dental surgery discussion then.  I'm sorry I derailed the thread. Back to the dental discussions.   :-[
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5964 on: June 20, 2014, 06:35:28 AM »
DH and I have a set of Le Creuset dishes that were a wedding present from some friends a year ago. Used them lots, love them. We were cooking chicken breasts in it at 200C in the oven when we heard this loud crack. Our shallow casserole dish is in three pieces in the oven!

We did salvage the chicken breasts to another dish, but we are contacting the company ASAP about this for a replacement.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #5965 on: June 20, 2014, 08:09:28 AM »
I purchased a copy of a biography of Wizard of Oz and gone with the Wind director Victor Fleming from a shop on Amazon. It was described as being in "used -- acceptable" condition.

It was not acceptable. Every outside surface of the book was gritty and visibly dirty, and the cover was badly ripped. I don't mean a small tear; I mean badly ripped. I could barely stand touching the thing.

Amazon gave me my money back, but I'm never shopping at this one Amazon shop again -- and I did something with the book that I almost never do -- I chucked it into the trash.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Goosey

« Reply #5966 on: June 20, 2014, 08:19:03 AM »
I thought used books were usually through private vendors! I didn't realize amazon sold them directly.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5967 on: June 20, 2014, 09:02:17 AM »
It usually says "sold by vendor name", fulfilled by Amazon.

GreenHall

« Reply #5968 on: June 20, 2014, 09:12:43 AM »
I think even when it's private vendors, they are still doing business through Amazon's name, and Amazon wants the customer to be happy. 
My only experience with this was a no-show book.  I am pretty sure the vendor was removed from Amazon.  Not sure if mine was the only complaint.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #5969 on: June 20, 2014, 09:26:31 AM »
I had a no-show book and took too long to deal with it (I emailed the vendor multiple times, etc.), and missed out on the A-Z guarantee.  Oops.  Fortunately it was only $5.  I always wondered what happened to the vendor.  Great reviews for years, and then starting right around the time I purchased my book, tons of complaints from people saying that their books didn't arrive.  It was like he dropped off the face of the Earth.  I honestly wondered if he died or got very sick and didn't have anybody who knew to close his account, so people continued to buy books from him that never arrived.