Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1246487 times)

athersgeo

• No one told you when to run
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #5985 on: June 24, 2014, 11:41:35 AM »
Gulf Air

Never, ever, ever will I fly with them ever again.

It was a flight from Sydney to London (so its own form of hell on earth just for the sheer length without any shenanigans on the part of the airline) but it turned into one of the worst experiences I've ever had while travelling (and that includes six hour delays on Amtrak in the middle of knowwhere Ohio while sharing a carriage with the children from heck).

1. The flight from Sydney first stopped at Melbourne - so after only an hour, we got turfed off for refueling (!!!)
2. The flight from Melbourne to Singapore was full - so I spent seven hours being groped by the "gentleman" in the seat next to me (I know Gulf Air couldn't have done anything about that but it didn't make my flight any better)
3. The entertainment feed seemed to be stuck in a permanent three hour loop (I swear, if I ever see the Making of The Emperor's New Groove or 102 Dalmations ever again...)
4. The leg from Singapore to Bahrain ended up being over an hour late, which left us with twenty minutes to make our connection to London, and this is where the fun started.

They'd overbooked the flight and instead of giving first priority to those people already travelling (ie those of us booked from Sydney to London), they loaded the locals first which meant that a group of about fifteen people got bumped from the flight. Now, I will grant you that it would have been touch and go for us to make that connection (because, hey, hour late and everything), but this was when I discovered that while my luggage had been checked right through to Heathrow (and, shocklingly, made the flight), I was only checked in as far as Bahrain... In otherwords, the decision to bump me was made when I checked in, because I checked in a couple of hours early.

So there you have it: a group of heavily jet-lagged (mostly) English people stuck in Bahrain airport until the next flight to London (which wasn't for some ten hours or so) and the best bit? Nobody knew what to do with us or what was happening. We spent the next hour being shuffled round and round the airport. Yes our baggage had been pulled. No it hadn't. We'd be put up in a hotel. Who told you that rubbish you have to stay here...

Eventually we got put through security with special passes and assurances we would definitely be put on the next flight, packed into a bus and taken to a hotel...who also didn't know what to do with us and they'd only been told to provide 8 rooms and 5 minutes of phone calls per room. One problem: I was a single traveller on my own and had to share with the other single traveller on her own, which meant we needed 10 minutes (5 a piece). And then the hotel didn't understand why we didn't have any local currency...

It was just a complete mess; about the only good thing was the fact that we all got beds to catch some actual sleep before we got our flight.

Which was full - and which was stuck on the same entertainment loop. But at least nobody groped me.

(For anyone wondering, the only compensation we were offered for our "inconvenience" was $100 off our "next Gulf Air flight")

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #5986 on: June 24, 2014, 11:52:38 AM »
We received a full refund that day.  I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that is was totally logical to the Service Rep to charge us double to fly out of a different city.  They had the empty seats, they had our money, and it would have gone a long way to rectify the situation.  Now they did not have our money and possibly those seats were empty on the flight down (which was direct and had to cost them less to fly than our original flight).

I figured out how to post on their website and facebook page.  I'm not holding my breath or anything.

I no longer see my post on their facebook page.  Could they have deleted it?

Yes. Do you see other customer posts? Some business pages are set to only allow posts by the admin of the page so customer posts will be hidden or deleted within moments.

Do you have a friend with a Facebook account who would be willing to "like" the airline and then repost your comments on their own page? If they mention the airline that will allow them to link the page to the post, causing it to show up on the airline's page, and they can't remove it.
Oh, there are a number of other complaint posts showing - sadly.  One was from a guy who had trouble flying the same day to FLL - like us, he was going to FLL in order to be on a cruise on Saturday.  They eventually got there but with no luggage.  They spent their time at a port in a K-Mart buying clothes instead of an excursion.  Far worse experience than ours.

They may pull new comments for review and then post them. I bet yours will show up if other complaints are there.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5987 on: June 24, 2014, 01:44:13 PM »
We received a full refund that day.  I just can't wrap my mind around the fact that is was totally logical to the Service Rep to charge us double to fly out of a different city.  They had the empty seats, they had our money, and it would have gone a long way to rectify the situation.  Now they did not have our money and possibly those seats were empty on the flight down (which was direct and had to cost them less to fly than our original flight).

I figured out how to post on their website and facebook page.  I'm not holding my breath or anything.

I no longer see my post on their facebook page.  Could they have deleted it?

Yes. Do you see other customer posts? Some business pages are set to only allow posts by the admin of the page so customer posts will be hidden or deleted within moments.

Do you have a friend with a Facebook account who would be willing to "like" the airline and then repost your comments on their own page? If they mention the airline that will allow them to link the page to the post, causing it to show up on the airline's page, and they can't remove it.
Oh, there are a number of other complaint posts showing - sadly.  One was from a guy who had trouble flying the same day to FLL - like us, he was going to FLL in order to be on a cruise on Saturday.  They eventually got there but with no luggage.  They spent their time at a port in a K-Mart buying clothes instead of an excursion.  Far worse experience than ours.

They may pull new comments for review and then post them. I bet yours will show up if other complaints are there.

That must be it because it is now back.

Thanks.

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #5988 on: June 24, 2014, 02:54:21 PM »
I've had just enough bad experiences flying with a large enough variety of airlines that, at this point, I'm not going to make any claims about how I'll never fly a particular one again.

In the end, they all stink for one reason or another, because the system of air travel overall just stinks. Flights are all overbooked or delayed or whatever. They all misplace or delay luggage, even when you've checked to make sure the destination airport code is correct. They all run on such tight schedules that even a small delay can throw the whole schedule off. They all have pretty poor customer service, horrible refund policies, and just in general are a headache to deal with.

Given all that, I pretty much just assume that checked luggage has a 50/50 chance of actually showing up at my destination at the same time as me, things will very likely be removed from my bag, security will be a pain to get through, the flight itself will be (at best) an exercise in endurance, and there won't be any food or entertainment available to speak of unless I bring it myself. Basically, I expect the whole experience to be awful, so that when bad stuff inevitably happens I am at least somewhat prepared to deal with it. I am also, at that point, pleasantly surprised if the worst thing that happens while I'm traveling that I'm bored and cramped from not enough space.

Xandraea

« Reply #5989 on: June 25, 2014, 10:30:22 AM »
I've had just enough bad experiences flying with a large enough variety of airlines that, at this point, I'm not going to make any claims about how I'll never fly a particular one again.

In the end, they all stink for one reason or another, because the system of air travel overall just stinks. Flights are all overbooked or delayed or whatever. They all misplace or delay luggage, even when you've checked to make sure the destination airport code is correct. They all run on such tight schedules that even a small delay can throw the whole schedule off. They all have pretty poor customer service, horrible refund policies, and just in general are a headache to deal with.

Given all that, I pretty much just assume that checked luggage has a 50/50 chance of actually showing up at my destination at the same time as me, things will very likely be removed from my bag, security will be a pain to get through, the flight itself will be (at best) an exercise in endurance, and there won't be any food or entertainment available to speak of unless I bring it myself. Basically, I expect the whole experience to be awful, so that when bad stuff inevitably happens I am at least somewhat prepared to deal with it. I am also, at that point, pleasantly surprised if the worst thing that happens while I'm traveling that I'm bored and cramped from not enough space.

I recently took a two-week trip with my mom, and challenged myself to pack into _only_ carry-on to avoid checking anything at all. Fellow travelers in our tour group kept asking "Where's your luggage?" and were amazed to find out I'd brought only the two small shoulder-carry bags. I simply did not want to surrender any luggage of mine to the airlines. My mom checked a bag and it arrived in one piece on the other side both ways, but often people aren't so lucky.

(Y'know the questions always asked at airports, "Have you been in control of your bags at all times?" "Did anyone help you pack your bags?" If I'd checked luggage, I'd be prepared to answer "No, my bags were completely out of my control from the time I checked in until I claimed them from the baggage carousel, and were repacked (badly) by unknown person(s) during that time." -- getting to the other side of an overseas trip and finding a note in my bag that someone had been rifling through was quite disconcerting. Locks are useless, as they must be TSA-accessable. I'd rather avoid the entire mess by carrying my own stuff.)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #5990 on: June 25, 2014, 11:41:37 AM »
I carry a carry on roller, a backpack and a small medication bag that can fit in the backpack. The last two flights, they have gate checked my carry on because there were too many brought on board.

Free Range Hippy Chick

« Reply #5991 on: June 25, 2014, 11:45:26 AM »

(Y'know the questions always asked at airports, "Have you been in control of your bags at all times?" "Did anyone help you pack your bags?" <snip>

Have you ever seen what happens when somebody gives the wrong answer? It's entertaining. We saw it once at Stansted airport: a young French woman with a suitcase about as big as herself and from the way she was handling it, about twice her bodyweight, was asked 'could anyone have interfered with your case since you packed it?' and she said 'yes'.

Check-in employee sighed and said 'no, what I'm asking is, has anybody other than you had access to your suitcase? Could anybody have interfered with it without your knowledge?'

And the woman repeated 'yes, that is possible'.

Slowly, and loudly, in the cartoon-talking-to-slightly-stupid-foreigners voice: 'Could anybody have put something in your bag, and not told you?'

Equally slowly and loudly, in the same cartoon-talking-to-slightly-stupid-foreigners voice but with a French accent: 'Yes, they could. I live in a shared house and my bag stood overnight in the hall. It would be possible for somebody to put something in it. Yes.'

Followed by total freakout on the part of the staff member, who plainly had been trained to ask the question but not trained on what to do when given a truthful answer. She didn't know what she was supposed to do next (which was eventually established to be sending the case over to the scanner they use for oversize items, with its owner in attendance, and then to take it through manual search. Not exactly difficult).

Tea Drinker

• Now part of Team Land Crab
« Reply #5992 on: June 25, 2014, 08:04:08 PM »
They also don't want to be told "yes, I checked my bag at the hotel for a couple of hours after I checked out, and I don't know how many people have a key to that room," or about my bag being in the back of a hotel's airport shuttle van with several other people's,' or that it's difficult to watch a bag closely if I put it on a luggage rack on the Silver Line that connects the T station to the airport, or such. (I'm fairly sure the main risk for the last category is a bag being stolen by someone casually getting off the bus before the rightful owner, though, not terrorist bombs.)
Any advice that requires the use of a time machine may safely be ignored.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #5993 on: June 25, 2014, 10:51:14 PM »
I have tried packing for shorter trips (three weeks) with only carry-on.

The last trip was five weeks and was going to include the Georgia Renaissance Festival - I flew Southwest and got two "free" checked bags, one of which was nothing but garb...

Coming back, I was on AirTran, but apparently since I made the reservation through Southwest (possibly an erroneous assumption - but I was not charged & that seemed the least illogical assumption) - I managed to check one for free.  The other was a rolling carry-on that I've used before on Southwest & my second carry-on was a messenger bag with a padded laptop compartment and a relatively roomy book bag compartment for meds, a small wallet-on-a-string, jewelry, and an ereader or two (battery life was not up to the early check in, the wait in the terminal, the flight, and the shuttle from the Atlanta airport to where I was going - easier to take a spare - no way to charge them on the plane).
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #5994 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:51 AM »
I vowed never to fly United again after they cancelled my flight from Chicago to Scranton.  Why?  Because, when I asked for the reason for the cancellation, the employee looked at me calmly and said "Because of the weather."  I looked outside - it was a beautiful day with no clouds in sight.  "What weather?" (thinking maybe there was something going on, perhaps in Scranton, of which I was unaware).  "There's weather.  Let's just leave it at that."

I found out later that the pilots were going through a labour dispute and decided to simply not fly that day.    >:(
I guess a labour dispute is rather embarrassing, some airline pilots are paid pitifully low wages and are on food stamps.

knitwicca

« Reply #5995 on: June 26, 2014, 08:34:05 AM »

The last trip was five weeks and was going to include the Georgia Renaissance Festival - I flew Southwest and got two "free" checked bags, one of which was nothing but garb...

Coming back, I was on AirTran, but apparently since I made the reservation through Southwest (possibly an erroneous assumption - but I was not charged & that seemed the least illogical assumption) - I managed to check one for free.  The other was a rolling carry-on that I've used before on Southwest & my second carry-on was a messenger bag with a padded laptop compartment and a relatively roomy book bag compartment for meds, a small wallet-on-a-string, jewelry, and an ereader or two (battery life was not up to the early check in, the wait in the terminal, the flight, and the shuttle from the Atlanta airport to where I was going - easier to take a spare - no way to charge them on the plane).

I used to be in a long-distance relationship. The first time the guy and I took a trip together, he paid for my airline tickets and picked me up at the airport. (he had driven 6 hours the previous day)  When I arrived at the destination airport, he was waiting at the baggage claim. I told him "I don't have any checked bags".  He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and asked "Do you really have a weeks worth of clothes and stuff in a backpack?" 
Not only did I have everything I needed (including blow dryer and curling iron) but purchased a few t-shirts as souvenirs for my grandsons which fit into the backpack with no problem.

Said guy was quite impressed.

ScubaGirl

« Reply #5996 on: June 26, 2014, 09:26:36 AM »

Yes, there is a lot of truth in this.

Shalamar

« Reply #5997 on: June 26, 2014, 10:59:12 AM »
My husband and I aren't handy in the least, and therefore little maintenance jobs around the house often go undone for a while until they've piled up.  I figured that it was a good time to call the local Handyman Connection number - we've used them before, and their work has been okay - not stellar, but not terrible, either.  And the price is usually not too bad.

The guy came out last Thursday to give us an estimate.  We were asking for the following things to be replaced:  two screens on windows, two outside vents, and a drop-ceiling tile in the rec room.  Also, some painting touch-ups.  We'd supply the paint, they'd buy all other materials and charge us accordingly.

The estimate was $1,050.00.   :o  Not only did that seem an outrageous amount, but he didn't break it down by item, either - just "Yup, for all that, it'll cost $1,050.00."  I e-mailed the company afterwards and asked for an itemized estimate.  They never got back to me. 

We've now hired a guy through Kijiji who has a good reputation.  His estimate is for $100 plus materials.  Goodbye, Handyman Connection!

medowynd

« Reply #5998 on: June 26, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
I have traveled to Europe, Asia and Africa, always with a carryon bag.  My husband took two bags to Korea and I had a rolling bag.  Seoul has lots of hills, he did a fair amount of complaining about the weight of the bags.  I hand wash every evening and wear travel clothes.  I always have room for souvenirs.  The only time my bag has been checked, when there was no overhead room left on the flight.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #5999 on: June 26, 2014, 12:35:58 PM »

I used to be in a long-distance relationship. The first time the guy and I took a trip together, he paid for my airline tickets and picked me up at the airport. (he had driven 6 hours the previous day)  When I arrived at the destination airport, he was waiting at the baggage claim. I told him "I don't have any checked bags".  He looked at me, raised an eyebrow and asked "Do you really have a weeks worth of clothes and stuff in a backpack?" 
Not only did I have everything I needed (including blow dryer and curling iron) but purchased a few t-shirts as souvenirs for my grandsons which fit into the backpack with no problem.

Said guy was quite impressed.

I remember reading an article about a woman who liked to travel, and often took advantage of last-minute deals. In one case, she travelled to another country for 3 weeks with only her carry-on bag and a personal bag - the customs guy was *amazed*. He asked if that was really all she'd brought for 3 whole weeks and she listed what she'd packed and stated that she thought it would be more than adequate. He asked her to marry him.
[/threadjack]

At this point, I figure airlines are like telecoms - there isn't really one that's without a long list of folks who don't like it, it's very much a YMMV* thing. In some locations they're awesome, in some they're awful, and some folks have never had a problem with Company X, while others have had nothing but problems with them.

*YMMV = Your Mileage May Vary, an old bit of spokenreallyfast fine print from US car commercials/print ads where they brag about gas mileage.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture