Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1244621 times)

Redsoil

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6015 on: July 12, 2014, 09:14:35 AM »
Pork belly (especially properly done "twice cooked" pork belly) is delicious!  Awesome stuff!  However; badly cooked, it's atrocious.
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Doll Fiend

• The Dolls are in the Garden and in my Head.
« Reply #6016 on: July 13, 2014, 02:03:14 AM »

But her husband (who loves ALL food) didn't like it either.  My suspicion is that if the bacon was limp and undercooked, the rest of the food was probably not well prepared either.
Strange as it may seem to us crispy bacon people, there ARE people who believe that bacon should be flexible when cooked.
But I'm a little mystified how anyone would conclude that 'pork belly' would be lean meat.

I suspect a lot of people don't realize that pork belly is the same cut as American bacon but without the salt and smoke --  which makes it a little pointless in my humble opinion.   ;)  Shalamar probably thought it would be closer to a pork chop or a country-style rib.  (Quick, what part of the pig do country-style ribs come from?   :D   )

I just read Shalamar's update.  Nope, pork bellies have all the fat and none of the good stuff.  I don't understand the appeal, myself.

But her husband (who loves ALL food) didn't like it either.  My suspicion is that if the bacon was limp and undercooked, the rest of the food was probably not well prepared either.
Strange as it may seem to us crispy bacon people, there ARE people who believe that bacon should be flexible when cooked.
But I'm a little mystified how anyone would conclude that 'pork belly' would be lean meat.

I suspect a lot of people don't realize that pork belly is the same cut as American bacon but without the salt and smoke --  which makes it a little pointless in my humble opinion.   ;)  Shalamar probably thought it would be closer to a pork chop or a country-style rib.  (Quick, what part of the pig do country-style ribs come from?   :D   )

I just read Shalamar's update.  Nope, pork bellies have all the fat and none of the good stuff.  I don't understand the appeal, myself.

Country style ribs actually come from the Boston Butt, AKA the shoulder.

poundcake

« Reply #6017 on: July 13, 2014, 08:56:42 AM »
Pork belly (especially properly done "twice cooked" pork belly) is delicious!  Awesome stuff!  However; badly cooked, it's atrocious.

Totally true. Good pork belly is melty and rich and has crispy bits and is like a chunk of heaven!

Tia2

« Reply #6018 on: July 15, 2014, 05:55:30 PM »
My local Starbucks.  They were running a promotion where if you get a hot drink in the morning, you can get a cold drink after 2 p.m. at a discount.

I went back to get the cold drink and was told that the receipt had to be stamped.  There were no signs saying this and the receipts weren't being stamped automatically.

I went to another Starbucks the next day and deliberately didn't say anything - they gave me a stamped receipt without me saying a word which I assume is what is supposed to happen.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #6019 on: July 15, 2014, 10:37:48 PM »
I know that I've mentioned Fry's before, but sadly, they're the only choice for some electronics, other than waiting several days for something to be shipped. I needed, urgently, to replace the cooller in one of my computers so trudged off to my local Fry's.

I had checked the online store to make sure there was stock and it said that there was. When I got there, "the cupboard was bare." An employee passed by and asked how things were going. I said "not well..." and explained checking the stock online and seeing nothing. His response? If you said "Oh, I'm sorry sir. Let me check at other stores for you," you'd be wrong. He shrugged and grinned at me.

I drove to another Fry's, 20 miles away. All but one of their items had been opened, and most of them were returns. They promise the same warranty, but I'm not trusting someone in their store to actually test the item and repackage it properly.

This is after an earlier trip where it was clear that whoever stocked the wall with the product we needed had simply shuffled stuff around to make it look like they had stock in that area.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

bansidhe

• The Menagerie
« Reply #6020 on: July 25, 2014, 08:12:04 PM »
Dell. This is looooonnnngggg.

Over the years I've bought two computers and a couple of monitors from Dell and everything went smoothly each time. Fast-forward a few years to July 2014 when my monitor dies and I need to replace it. Things have changed at Dell in the intervening time.

July 10: I find a dual monitor package on Dell's website and order it. Nothing to do now except wait for it to arrive, or so I think. Shortly afterward, I receive an e-mail telling me the order is on hold and advising me to contact Dell Financial Services.

I call, and wait on hold for ages. Finally a representative comes on the line and after much back and forth, is completely unable to tell me what the problem is with the order. Finally she says something about an address and I notice they've got my billing address wrong so I give her the correct one. She argues with me when I give her the PO Box, saying that a PO Box has to have an apartment number or suite number.  ???  I finally convince her that isn't the case. Problem solved, or so I think.

Later, someone from another branch of Dell calls to ask why the order is on hold.  ???
I explain the address change and he assures me that the order is fine now.

I wait several days and check the status of the order online. It never moves out of the "order processing" stage.

July 14: I call Financial Service to ask what's up with the order. They tell me it's on hold still, but they don't know why. Multiple calls and lots of hold time follows. The reps do not communicate with each other or make notes on the account, so I repeat myself endlessly. This goes on for some time. Many of the reps are very difficult to understand.

Finally, I'm transferred to the Verification department. The rep there seems to actually know what's going on. He tells me that Dell is unable to ship to the shipping address I've provided. Too bad that wasn't mentioned on their site when I placed the order... I have to contact people to make other shipping arrangements, so the rep gives me his direct line so I can call him back with a new address. Problem solved, or so I think.

I obtain a new shipping address and call the number provided. It is busy. All day. I call Financial Services and they can't get through either. They say they'll have a Verification person call me. No one calls.

July 15: I receive a phone call saying that my order has been cancelled. I am livid. Financial Services (after much hold time and many transfers) tells me it was cancelled because the shipping address was wrong and anyway, my billing address and shipping address are different and that's wrong.  :o  I tell my story. The rep tells me I have to call X number and Y number and speak to more people. I ask to speak to a supervisor. Request denied. I tell them I am completely DONE with the whole thing at this point and will buy the monitors elsewhere.

I file a complaint online with Dell's Complaints department. Someone will contact me within 48 hours, the website says.

July 16: My phone rings. It's someone from Dell. "Hi! We noticed that you cancelled your order and we want to find out why you cancelled it."

I'm proud to say that I avoided cursing.

July 25: Dell e-mailed me a customer satisfaction survey, which I completed very thoroughly and with vengeance in my heart. The Complaints people never got back to me.

I ordered monitors from Costco and they arrived yesterday - no problems at all.
Esan ozenki!

Arizona

eltf177

« Reply #6021 on: July 26, 2014, 09:16:26 AM »
July 25: Dell e-mailed me a customer satisfaction survey, which I completed very thoroughly and with vengeance in my heart. The Complaints people never got back to me.

Why does this not surprise me? (insert eyeroll icon here...).

Nikko-chan

« Reply #6022 on: July 26, 2014, 03:15:09 PM »
I went to eat at a local chinese buffet here in town. It's new and reasonably priced so off I went. I went in, got my plate, got some general tso's, and some cream cheese wontons (love them!) the sign for the cream cheese wontons said fried cheese.... I should have known this would turn out badly...

Ate a bit of General tso's... it's supposed to be spicy and sweet. The thing was loaded with sugar. Welp. No big deal i have my cream cheese wontons! I bite into it.... and its crab rangoon.

I promptly get up and pay my bill (6.70 they charged for lunch) and I was charged almost a dollar more, for you know, sitting in. I expected to be charged more because its a sit down place, but not almost a dollar more. I paid and left. So now I have to cook dinner. Ugh.

dirtyweasel

• Just keep swimming, just keep swimming...
« Reply #6023 on: July 27, 2014, 12:54:28 AM »
I'm currently staying in a hotel in Manhattan that costs $230 a night (thankfully my DH's job is paying for this) and its probably one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in.

They don't have cable TV - just antenna service so the TV is grainy and the channels keep doing this annoying skipping thing and freezing.

The air conditioning seems to be connected to the light outlets so anytime the air-conditioning comes on the lights flicker.  Sometimes the air doesn't have to be on for the lights to flicker - they just go crazy.

We have no insulation from the outside noise and we're on a busy street so pretty much most car horns or sirens have woken me up. 

The bathroom is so cramped that I have to turn sideways to fit on the toilet. 

I've stayed in somewhat questionable hotels that I've paid $20 for that were worlds better than this place. 

Cherry91

« Reply #6024 on: July 27, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
My disdain for Apple grows with very passing day...

I have a fairly "old" iPod touch (I can't remember just how old, but it's at least 6+ years), and was already frustrated by how many apps aren't supported on the older OS - iTunes won't let me upgrade my OS because they basically only care about iPads and iPhones now.

Now, apps that used to work on my iPod are refusing to, because Apple deliberately changed them to only work on newer OS! This is beyond ridiculous. If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!

Apple are obviously doing this to try and get people to upgrade, but all it's doing is making darn sure that when my iPod finally croaks, I'm getting an MP3 Player from a different company...

magicdomino

« Reply #6025 on: July 27, 2014, 03:19:34 PM »

Apple are obviously doing this to try and get people to upgrade, but all it's doing is making darn sure that when my iPod finally croaks, I'm getting an MP3 Player from a different company...

This has me a little worried about my Classic iPod.  The current 80 gig model is my workhorse:  it is my iTunes back-up, contains all of my playlists, videos, etc.  Nanos don't come with enough memory, even if it is just the music.  The 8g nano in the truck is so full that I have to delete songs before I can add new ones, and it doesn't even have the holiday and background music.  Currently, my classic iPod has 40g worth of stuff on it.  It's only replacement:  a 160 g Classic.  The touch goes up to only 36 gigs. 

Maybe I should buy another used nano to use in the back yard.

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #6026 on: July 27, 2014, 04:10:13 PM »
I have AVG antivirus on this computer, which I had to put on in an emergency (long story, but the gist of it is that the programs I used for work upgraded and stopped recognizing each other and I had to get an antivirus program fast.  I've already purchased two antivirus programs this year because of this issue, so I got the AVG free one.)  Even though most of the issues I've had lately have been because of the programs I use for work, I'm annoyed at AVG because they keep sending me dire warnings about things wrong with my computer that they want me to pay for other programs to fix.  While I can see that most of this is a marketing gimmick, it's especially annoying because I get all these warnings at least twice an hour, and they've interrupted my work more than once.  I really don't like companies that play on people's fears.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6027 on: July 27, 2014, 04:45:53 PM »
I understand that Avast Free or Iobit.com's Malware Defender Free have better reputations than AVG. 

We won't be buying another Gateway laptop (if the company still exists) because the graphics card burned out the monitor not once but twice.  I finally got told about the white stripes in the screen after the computer went out of warranty.  VorGuy hates to have his car or his computer in the shop - so it only gets taken in once it no longer works...or if I offer to swap cars with him for the day.

If I'd known he was having issues five years ago, I would have loaned him my laptop...as it was...he ended up getting a new one - it was not a Gateway.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Dindrane

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6028 on: July 27, 2014, 04:48:56 PM »
My disdain for Apple grows with very passing day...

I have a fairly "old" iPod touch (I can't remember just how old, but it's at least 6+ years), and was already frustrated by how many apps aren't supported on the older OS - iTunes won't let me upgrade my OS because they basically only care about iPads and iPhones now.

Now, apps that used to work on my iPod are refusing to, because Apple deliberately changed them to only work on newer OS! This is beyond ridiculous. If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!

In general, this is a very deliberate business model for Apple, and is actually one of the things that led to its resurgence as a viable alternative to Windows computers. Apple decided that, unlike Windows, they had no intention of making their software backwards compatible forever. They'd make it backwards compatible to a point, but eventually they'd stop trying to make new stuff work with their older operating systems.

The reasoning was that Windows was becoming clunky, because not only did they have to support third party software and hardware (that they had no control over), they also had to make sure their operating systems would be backwards compatible with that software/hardware almost indefinitely. It made it difficult to release new operating systems, just because of the sheer number of potential compatibility issues.

Apple responded to that very real issue by deciding that they would build their own hardware and not support even their own software indefinitely. There comes a point even on Apple computers where you either upgrade the OS or your computer increasingly stops working. And there comes a point where the hardware on the computer simply won't support an OS upgrade.

The same thing has carried over to their mobile devices. At some point, the hardware of the device won't allow for an OS upgrade, which means that the software is no longer compatible. It stinks, and I experienced the same issues with my several-year-old iPod before I replaced it with a Nexus smartphone. And while I can definitely understand not wanting to buy from Apple because they do tend to stop supporting old hardware/operating systems faster than other companies, it is kind of a fact of operating systems that it becomes increasingly difficult (with increasingly fewer benefits) the further back they try to be compatible.

In other words, other companies might support their devices longer, which might be a better fit with how often you are inclined to replace them, but this statement: "If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!" really is not something that is realistic or practical for companies that produce computers and mobile devices. No matter who you buy your next device from, there will come a time when it's just too old for the company to deem it worth the effort of continuing to support its software, even if it's still functional as a piece of hardware. That said, figuring out where the company draws the line and stops supporting older software is worth figuring out, because they all draw that line in a different place.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #6029 on: July 27, 2014, 05:13:38 PM »
And if you have an older laptop that you want to keep working - there is always Linux...

Although as I can't run my embroidery machine on anything but Windows XP, Vista, and 7 - I'm not going to install Linux on this laptop until I replace the embroidery machine.

(((sigh)))  The newer embroidery machines have much larger hoops, too - you can do a design for a t-shirt or one side of a tote bag in one big hoop now, instead of moving the hoop & lining up designs to make it look like it was all done at the same time....
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?