Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1246149 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6030 on: July 27, 2014, 06:00:00 PM »
I'm currently staying in a hotel in Manhattan that costs $230 a night (thankfully my DH's job is paying for this) and its probably one of the worst hotels I've ever stayed in.

They don't have cable TV - just antenna service so the TV is grainy and the channels keep doing this annoying skipping thing and freezing.

The air conditioning seems to be connected to the light outlets so anytime the air-conditioning comes on the lights flicker.  Sometimes the air doesn't have to be on for the lights to flicker - they just go crazy.

We have no insulation from the outside noise and we're on a busy street so pretty much most car horns or sirens have woken me up. 

The bathroom is so cramped that I have to turn sideways to fit on the toilet. 

I've stayed in somewhat questionable hotels that I've paid $20 for that were worlds better than this place.

If you all are staying there because DH's company has some contract with them - he needs to let TPTB know that it has gone downhill and the contract needs to be reviewed. I would bring up the flickering lights, and any cleanliness issues. The flickering lights could mean a dangerous problem with overloaded circuits.

If it isn't a contract thing, just the company booked you all there - he should call now and see if you can be booked in somewhere else for the same reason.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Katana_Geldar

« Reply #6031 on: July 27, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
My disdain for Apple grows with very passing day...

I have a fairly "old" iPod touch (I can't remember just how old, but it's at least 6+ years), and was already frustrated by how many apps aren't supported on the older OS - iTunes won't let me upgrade my OS because they basically only care about iPads and iPhones now.

Now, apps that used to work on my iPod are refusing to, because Apple deliberately changed them to only work on newer OS! This is beyond ridiculous. If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!

Apple are obviously doing this to try and get people to upgrade, but all it's doing is making darn sure that when my iPod finally croaks, I'm getting an MP3 Player from a different company...

In general, this is a very deliberate business model for Apple, and is actually one of the things that led to its resurgence as a viable alternative to Windows computers. Apple decided that, unlike Windows, they had no intention of making their software backwards compatible forever. They'd make it backwards compatible to a point, but eventually they'd stop trying to make new stuff work with their older operating systems.

The reasoning was that Windows was becoming clunky, because not only did they have to support third party software and hardware (that they had no control over), they also had to make sure their operating systems would be backwards compatible with that software/hardware almost indefinitely. It made it difficult to release new operating systems, just because of the sheer number of potential compatibility issues.

Apple responded to that very real issue by deciding that they would build their own hardware and not support even their own software indefinitely. There comes a point even on Apple computers where you either upgrade the OS or your computer increasingly stops working. And there comes a point where the hardware on the computer simply won't support an OS upgrade.

The same thing has carried over to their mobile devices. At some point, the hardware of the device won't allow for an OS upgrade, which means that the software is no longer compatible. It stinks, and I experienced the same issues with my several-year-old iPod before I replaced it with a Nexus smartphone. And while I can definitely understand not wanting to buy from Apple because they do tend to stop supporting old hardware/operating systems faster than other companies, it is kind of a fact of operating systems that it becomes increasingly difficult (with increasingly fewer benefits) the further back they try to be compatible.

In other words, other companies might support their devices longer, which might be a better fit with how often you are inclined to replace them, but this statement: "If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!" really is not something that is realistic or practical for companies that produce computers and mobile devices. No matter who you buy your next device from, there will come a time when it's just too old for the company to deem it worth the effort of continuing to support its software, even if it's still functional as a piece of hardware. That said, figuring out where the company draws the line and stops supporting older software is worth figuring out, because they all draw that line in a different place.
There's also this thing called "planned obsolescence".

http://www.inc.com/erik-sherman/planned-obsolescence-a-good-way-to-make-your-business-obsolete.html

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
« Reply #6032 on: July 27, 2014, 09:45:51 PM »

Apple are obviously doing this to try and get people to upgrade, but all it's doing is making darn sure that when my iPod finally croaks, I'm getting an MP3 Player from a different company...

This has me a little worried about my Classic iPod.  The current 80 gig model is my workhorse:  it is my iTunes back-up, contains all of my playlists, videos, etc.  Nanos don't come with enough memory, even if it is just the music.  The 8g nano in the truck is so full that I have to delete songs before I can add new ones, and it doesn't even have the holiday and background music.  Currently, my classic iPod has 40g worth of stuff on it.  It's only replacement:  a 160 g Classic.  The touch goes up to only 36 gigs. 

Maybe I should buy another used nano to use in the back yard.

I wouldn't worry too much about the classic version. There isn't really much software for Apple to change, from what I can see. It's essentially a cute portable hard drive with a screen, so I can't imagine that there would be much issue with it for years to come.

Vita brevis, ars longa

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6034 on: July 28, 2014, 03:59:08 PM »
magicdomino wrote:

"Currently, my classic iPod has 40g worth of stuff on it.  It's only replacement:  a 160 g Classic.  The touch goes up to only 36 gigs."

The iPod Touch comes in a 64Gb version.  My family has two of them because we also fill up stuff with music.

Virg

EveLGenius

« Reply #6035 on: July 28, 2014, 09:48:38 PM »
Colonial Cafe and Restaurant.  When I was a kid, it was THE place to get awesome ice cream.  Over time, the ice cream remained fairly awesome, but the food declined.  Then the ice cream started declining, too. 

They didn't do any one thing, but the last time we went there, my chili tasted like ketchup with meat in it, and my milkshake was basically cold milk with Oreo (chocolate cookie, for those of you not in the US) powder in it.  They're more expensive than other similar restaurants, so that was the last time.  Pity- I used to love them.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6036 on: July 29, 2014, 10:45:55 AM »
The ironic thing is I remember when, in the computer industry, Dell's customer service was held up as the Gold Standard.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Hillia

« Reply #6037 on: July 29, 2014, 10:54:40 AM »
The ironic thing is I remember when, in the computer industry, Dell's customer service was held up as the Gold Standard.

Back when Michael was building and shipping them from his dorm room :-)

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6038 on: July 29, 2014, 01:04:16 PM »

I always got really good service from them while my laptop was still under warranty, but I'd paid $$ for the extended send-me-a-tech service package.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #6039 on: August 01, 2014, 09:38:29 AM »
Tried to give Olive Garden another chance--my DD wanted pasta, soup sounded good, and it was on the way home. The waiter came, took our order, brought our food...and never came back. (Not really "unlimited" soup if the waiter never returns to see if you want more...) DD had come from an activity class and was really thirsty; she drank her juice and wanted a refill; I had to give her my water. (Side note--if a 6 year old asks if the waiter is ever coming back, that's bad service.)

He came back after 40 minutes to cheerily box up our food.
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #6040 on: August 01, 2014, 10:00:02 AM »

My last laptop from them was having problems. I contacted "customer service"
1. was asked if they could speak to someone else in the house because my accent was to thick for them to understand. I am from Texas! My accent is not that pronounced more generic TV news.

2. I was with in 48 hours of warranty expiring. So I found it suspicious that we would get through the trouble shooting, to the they repair it part of the service - only to get disconnected. I would call back and my ticket number didn't exist. So we absolutely had to do the whole troubleshooting thing all over again. The warranty expired before I got help.

3. I went to a big box store and purchased a new laptop.

4. I work in a Dell district. I didn't have a district laptop. I had my personal laptop because I was working on something and didn't want to keep changing computers (long before cloud computing besides the district had a different version of the program.) During a Tech walkthrough with a Dell rep. they saw my non Dell laptop. We had a talk. THey wanted to know why I didn't use my district discount and get a Dell. I asked to you want the flat out truth. They said yes. I told them about what happened in #2 - the Dell guy was not happy. Even after I got my district laptop, I tended to do things on my personal one. Went back and forth with tech about it. It was a bit of an ADA issue. I couldn't make changes to the settings to accommodate my LD's. Since fatigue level is an issue, it wasn't like a tech could change my settings to fit what I need. Because what I need depends on the lighting, and other factors. They stopped locking down those settings because it was hurting students with LD's as well.

Unlocking voice to Text was interesting. Apparently many ambient noises are actually secret cuss words. I once had a student in a panic tell me "Ms. Herbert there is a ghost cussing. I look at his screen and the F word is being typed over and over - but he is standing up with his hands on his head. This was a 3rd grader, who could barely use a mouse at the start of they year.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

anonever13

« Reply #6041 on: August 01, 2014, 03:48:47 PM »
Unlocking voice to Text was interesting. Apparently many ambient noises are actually secret cuss words. I once had a student in a panic tell me "Ms. Herbert there is a ghost cussing. I look at his screen and the F word is being typed over and over - but he is standing up with his hands on his head. This was a 3rd grader, who could barely use a mouse at the start of they year.

Maybe the ghost was cursing because it thought it was a lousy computer as well.  ;D

gmatoy

« Reply #6042 on: August 01, 2014, 07:50:46 PM »

Maybe the ghost was cursing because it thought it was a lousy computer as well.  ;D

I'm laughing out loud! Very funny comment!

becktheriddler

« Reply #6043 on: August 05, 2014, 10:01:54 AM »
Just posting for the updates
By Grabthat's Hammer...what a savings!

Otterpop

« Reply #6044 on: August 08, 2014, 10:27:17 PM »
Walked into "Best Buy" today to buy 3 appliances for my daughter's condo.  There were no employees visible.  We walked around for 10 minutes, found a fridge we wanted and asked a salesperson from another department to find someone to help us purchase.  He said "Ok" and walked away never to be seen again.  I then approached another employee from computers and asked him to send someone.  He said "sure" and we waited another 10 minutes.  Another guy walked by and asked if we needed help.  I said yes and started asking questions.  He quickly stated he wasn't from that department but he'd get someone to help us.  I said "No thanks, we've been here 1/2 an hour already and have approached 3 people.  I'm headed over to to Sears Outlet down the road." (Sears, a place I swore to never shop again after the fridge disaster of '06).

We spent $1300 at Sears Outlet, reinstated our credit card, got a 5% discount and 6 months deferred interest.  Plus, my daughter is newly minted adult and has a good impression of Sears.  She'll probably buy more things there.

We had money, were ready to buy and "Best Buy" lost our business.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2014, 12:58:36 PM by Otterpop »