Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1280515 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6045 on: August 08, 2014, 11:53:19 PM »
My disdain for Apple grows with very passing day...

I have a fairly "old" iPod touch (I can't remember just how old, but it's at least 6+ years), and was already frustrated by how many apps aren't supported on the older OS - iTunes won't let me upgrade my OS because they basically only care about iPads and iPhones now.

Now, apps that used to work on my iPod are refusing to, because Apple deliberately changed them to only work on newer OS! This is beyond ridiculous. If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!

Apple are obviously doing this to try and get people to upgrade, but all it's doing is making darn sure that when my iPod finally croaks, I'm getting an MP3 Player from a different company...

In general, this is a very deliberate business model for Apple, and is actually one of the things that led to its resurgence as a viable alternative to Windows computers. Apple decided that, unlike Windows, they had no intention of making their software backwards compatible forever. They'd make it backwards compatible to a point, but eventually they'd stop trying to make new stuff work with their older operating systems.

The reasoning was that Windows was becoming clunky, because not only did they have to support third party software and hardware (that they had no control over), they also had to make sure their operating systems would be backwards compatible with that software/hardware almost indefinitely. It made it difficult to release new operating systems, just because of the sheer number of potential compatibility issues.

Apple responded to that very real issue by deciding that they would build their own hardware and not support even their own software indefinitely. There comes a point even on Apple computers where you either upgrade the OS or your computer increasingly stops working. And there comes a point where the hardware on the computer simply won't support an OS upgrade.

The same thing has carried over to their mobile devices. At some point, the hardware of the device won't allow for an OS upgrade, which means that the software is no longer compatible. It stinks, and I experienced the same issues with my several-year-old iPod before I replaced it with a Nexus smartphone. And while I can definitely understand not wanting to buy from Apple because they do tend to stop supporting old hardware/operating systems faster than other companies, it is kind of a fact of operating systems that it becomes increasingly difficult (with increasingly fewer benefits) the further back they try to be compatible.

In other words, other companies might support their devices longer, which might be a better fit with how often you are inclined to replace them, but this statement: "If I buy a product, I have a right for it to be supported during its life!" really is not something that is realistic or practical for companies that produce computers and mobile devices. No matter who you buy your next device from, there will come a time when it's just too old for the company to deem it worth the effort of continuing to support its software, even if it's still functional as a piece of hardware. That said, figuring out where the company draws the line and stops supporting older software is worth figuring out, because they all draw that line in a different place.

Meanwhile, my favorite game (Master of Orion II, from 1996) still runs on my Windows XP laptop.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6046 on: August 09, 2014, 12:50:47 AM »
Meanwhile, my favorite game (Master of Orion II, from 1996) still runs on my Windows XP laptop.

Good Old Games (www.gog.com) specializes in making old games cheap, legally available, and updated to work on modern computers.  Master of Orion II is on there and is well worth the money  ;D

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #6047 on: August 09, 2014, 01:02:06 AM »
Unlocking voice to Text was interesting. Apparently many ambient noises are actually secret cuss words. I once had a student in a panic tell me "Ms. Herbert there is a ghost cussing. I look at his screen and the F word is being typed over and over - but he is standing up with his hands on his head. This was a 3rd grader, who could barely use a mouse at the start of they year.

Maybe the ghost was cursing because it thought it was a lousy computer as well.  ;D

Maybe it was a dog barking in the distance and the computer was picking up on it.  I saw an example on D*** You Auto Correct where someone was using voice to text, and all of a sudden the message was interrupted by two full lines of the f-word over and over, and the explanation, "That's your dog.  The UPS guy just knocked on the door."

Softly Spoken

• "I am a hawk on a cliff..."
« Reply #6048 on: August 09, 2014, 11:05:46 AM »
Well I wasn't a frequent shopper at this one, but I'll still be warning other people about it now.

There is a bakery called Larsen's that seems to be suffering from the "under new management" curse. It is a very old, well-established bakery that is well known in it's Scandinavian neighborhood and attracted lots of senior regulars. Baked goods were good and prices were...well not cheap but not ridiculous either, and they had half off day old deals.

A while back they were closed for renovations. I was in the neighborhood last month (I'm there for an appointment about every 3 months) and saw they had reopened. I went in and at first was pretty impressed. They had opened things up and created more space. There were far more places to sit and the ceiling was raised. It was definitely more "trendy coffee/cafe"-ish. Shiny and modern, t.v. screens, etc. But I left very disappointed. First of all, they had no board (they had before I don't know why they didn't just keep it - it's not like it would have clashed with the decor) listing their products and prices, not even their drinks. Only some of the items in the bakery cases had prices on them. Same with labels. Yes I can point but I would like to know the name of what I am ordering. The worst thing though was the service. There were two young girls working there and they just seemed to radiate an aura of either ineptitude and/or indifference. They were so slow with only a few customers that I shudder to think what it would be like with a crowd!

It's really hard to explain how they were. It was like they were...ghosts haunting the place. It was quiet because they made so little conversation with the customers or each other. They just seemed to wander around the back doing...I don't know what. When I went back up to the counter to ask for a bag (I had gotten a plate to eat my pastry there but couldn't finish it), the girl on front register (the other was working the breads towards the back I guess) was down fussing with - I guess it was the coffee supplies in the cupboard behind the counter? For a long time. She actually turned and looked over her shoulder at me, made eye contact...and turned back to the cupboard.  ??? Um...lets see - wait on customers or fuss with supplies you should already have organized? This shouldn't be a hard decision! >:(
There was a man (maintanence? who knows!) who kept wandering in and out from the back, ostensibly to do work of some kind. He wasn't dressed like them and didn't look at or speak to any of us.

These girls really just gave off a horrible vibe of "we don't know what we're doing."

And the worst part? I bought a chocolate chip cookie. It was raw in the middle. :o Not soft. Not a bit undercooked. Raw. As in, I could take the shiny dough and re-roll it and bake it myself. I thought about complaining but it didn't seem worth it and I didn't think they would care. I actually did take the cookie home and re-bake it in my own oven, after which it was perfectly good but I shouldn't have had to do that! :(

It's just not an enjoyable place anymore, and the food doesn't even make the poor service worth putting up with. I hope they turn things around, especially after they obviously sunk a good amount of money into a remodel.  :-\ But until I hear otherwise, I'm not going back. On a side note, I was waiting at the bus stop across the street a bit later, and I overheard a women there talking to her friend about how bad the service at the place was and how she wouldn't go back there so...yeah sadly it's not just me.
"... for there is nothing either good or bad, but thinking makes it so."
-William Shakespeare

"We find comfort among those who agree with us - growth among those who don't."  ~Frank A. Clark

Ereine

« Reply #6049 on: August 09, 2014, 11:36:20 AM »
That reminds me of a restaurant here that recently reopened after long renovations. I had high expectations, I used to really like it but I don't think that I'll be back soon. The space was still lovely, it's in an old basement with vaulted ceilings, the service was good but I've never eaten as bland food in a restaurant. It arrived fast which may be explained by that fact that it seemed like everything was just heated in a microwave and they had done nothing to the food themselves. I guess most places don't make everything themselves but my town has several very good restaurants that make their own food, in the same neighborhood (as well as several bland chain restaurants that are cheaper) with similar prices so even though I really like vaulted ceilings they don't really compensate for the food.

Carotte

« Reply #6050 on: August 09, 2014, 12:32:52 PM »
Good Old Games (www.gog.com) specializes in making old games cheap, legally available, and updated to work on modern computers.  Master of Orion II is on there and is well worth the money  ;D

I'm still not sure I should thank you or not  ;) - Gog has the roller coaster tycoon game I've been looking after (I still have the game on CD but they don't run on my computer), and I'm not sure yet I trust myself on owning it again, I've spent hundreds of hours on RCT1 and RCT2 but I don't have so much free time now.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #6051 on: August 09, 2014, 12:37:15 PM »

I'm still not sure I should thank you or not  ;) - Gog has the roller coaster tycoon game I've been looking after (I still have the game on CD but they don't run on my computer), and I'm not sure yet I trust myself on owning it again, I've spent hundreds of hours on RCT1 and RCT2 but I don't have so much free time now.

When DH and I first discovered GOG we went a little nuts. Dungeon Keeper was my first download!

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6052 on: August 09, 2014, 12:38:33 PM »
I have spent whole paychecks on that site *shakes head*

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #6053 on: August 09, 2014, 01:39:08 PM »

When DH and I first discovered GOG we went a little nuts. Dungeon Keeper was my first download!

Oh my word.....they have Populous.  And King's Quest.  *dives in*  That site is dangerous.

Bethczar

« Reply #6054 on: August 09, 2014, 07:18:52 PM »

Oh my word.....they have Populous.  And King's Quest.  *dives in*  That site is dangerous.
King's Quest!?! Aargh! I love those games!
Sorry, I must be going...

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #6055 on: August 09, 2014, 07:24:45 PM »

King's Quest!?! Aargh! I love those games!
Sorry, I must be going...

Yahooooo!!!!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Tosha Go

• lurker
« Reply #6056 on: August 09, 2014, 09:18:57 PM »

And Caesar, and Pharoh!!!! city building games were my downfall :)   (sorry to derail thread...)

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6057 on: August 09, 2014, 10:33:31 PM »

And Caesar, and Pharoh!!!! city building games were my downfall :)   (sorry to derail thread...)

Pharaoh is probably STILL my favorite city-building game of all time.  I have it on CD, still, but downloaded it from there also because it was on sale that day and I was too lazy to dig the CD out  :P

Psychopoesie

« Reply #6058 on: August 09, 2014, 11:58:41 PM »
Thanks for the good old games link, Slartibartfast. Just downloaded quest for glory series. Will go searching for more old favourites later.  :)

WolfWay

• They burnt down my house... They ate my tailor!
« Reply #6059 on: August 12, 2014, 02:06:09 AM »
I'm 34 and I still have oily horribly acne prone skin. I have to be extremely careful about what moisturiser I use after washing my face, because even the slightest bit of the wrong kind of oil in the product will make me break out. About 10 years ago, I stumbled onto one moisturiser that doesn't make me break out at all. It's stupidly expensive (well, on my budget it is) and comes in a tiny bottle, but it works, so I'll pay for it. It's hard to find so when I find a place that stocks it, I tend to keep going back there for my supplies.

There is only one local nail/beauty salon near me stocks it. I was running low and went in there a month ago and asked them if they had any in stock. Nope, not yet, next week, definitely!

I go back a week later. Oh no, the lady who does the ordering is coming in later today, we'll put an order in and it'll be here next week!

I go back a week later. Oh no, the order should be arriving next week, definitely!

I go back a week later. Oh, we ordered every other product in the range except the single one you wanted that you've been asking about repeatedly over for the last month. Would you like us to put in an order for it next week?

I stalked out in disgust and now I have to either drive an hour across the city to the only other place I know of that might stock it, or brave the aisles of a nearby drug store to figure out something that maybe won't turn my face into a disaster zone. The problem is that every other product I've tried that claims to help with acne has caused me to have outbreaks.

<sigh> I've decided I need to find another moisturiser, instead of being slaved to the whims of whatever beauty shop I can find that maybe stocks it. Now begins the month long trials of expensive moisturisers that may or may not make me break out.  >:(
It's best to love your family as you would a Siberian Tiger - from a distance, preferably separated by bars . -- Pearls Before Swine (16-May-2009)