News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• September 26, 2017, 12:47:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2523191 times)

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6060 on: August 27, 2014, 01:47:22 PM »
I've since been told by a dermatologist to only wear titanium earrings, thanks to my allergies and the fact I'm now very prone to cysts in my earlobes.

Can you wear niobium?  I'm very allergic to metals (I can't even wear stainless), and I wear niobium captive-bead hoops with no problem.

That at least would expand your shopping options.

I'm not sure, actually - I don't think I've ever tried niobium. Where do you get yours?

I got mine at a piercing parlor. But I've seen niobium online, including fishhook-style hooks. 
Bingle bongle dingle dangle yickity-do yickity-dah ping-pong lippy-toppy too tah.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6061 on: August 27, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
I've since been told by a dermatologist to only wear titanium earrings, thanks to my allergies and the fact I'm now very prone to cysts in my earlobes.

Can you wear niobium?  I'm very allergic to metals (I can't even wear stainless), and I wear niobium captive-bead hoops with no problem.

I'm not sure, actually - I don't think I've ever tried niobium. Where do you get yours?

I got mine at a piercing parlor. But I've seen niobium online, including fishhook-style hooks.

Thanks for this.  I'm OK with 14+ carat gold and sterling silver but just about anything else gives me a rash, including stainless steel.  So I'll keep my eye out for niobium.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

DCGirl

« Reply #6062 on: August 27, 2014, 02:12:43 PM »
I have a couple of recent stories.

Doctor's office:  I go to a complementary/alternative medicine practice as it was the only practice that believed I had a thyroid problem and would prescribe medication for it.  The doctor I originally started with retired, and I was assigned to another doctor in the practice.  I arrived for my first appointment, and the first thing his assignment told me was that, "You need to understand that Dr. R believes in taking as much time with a patient as the patient needs, so he sometimes runs late."  Well, they warned me.  He was running 3.5 hours late that day.  I really need my prescription refilled, so I just sat there. 

He gave me a temporary supply of medication and ordered blood tests to determine if the current dosage was correct.  He also requested that I set up a phone appointment to review the results in two weeks.  Phone appointments start at 4:00 in the afternoon.  I set one up, giving my work phone number.  The day of my appointment, I waited and waited, till I finally had to call his assistant back to say I would no longer be at that number because I had to catch the last train home.  I couldn't give my cell phone number as there are areas of no reception on the train line.  The assistant set up another phone appointment a few days later.  I still wasn't called before I had to leave work.  This time, the assistant asked what time I could guarantee I'd be at my home number and said the doctor would call me then.  The doctor didn't call that night.

I called back and was told the doctor forgot he had to call me and had gone home before doing so.  I was given the doctor's cell phone to call. I called it and he hung up on me. 

Two days later, I got a package in the mail.  It was a note from the doctor's assistant saying, "I understand that you spoke to Dr. R last night.  Here is a sample of the supplement he recommended."  Yup, I got somebody else's vitamins. 

At that point, I called the assistant and said that I wanted a print-out of my test results and a prescription for three months of my thyroid medicine to tide me over while I found another doctor.  I'm in that research process now.

Pancake house: DH and I were tickled pink when an IHOP opened near us.  The service was not good the first time we went, but we figured that they just opened and it would get better.  It didn't.  The final straw was a late-night stop after a concert.  I order scrambled eggs and DH ordered fried eggs. 

When my plate arrived, the eggs were fried.  I hate fried eggs, so I sent them back.  The waitress came back a short time later, and it was pretty clear from the grease mark off one side of the plate that the kitchen simply slid the fried eggs off and gave me scrambled eggs rather than make a new plate of food.  The problem was that the scrambled eggs were extremely runny and practically raw.  I sent it back again. 

This time, in addition to the grease mark from sliding the fried eggs off, there was also a slime mark from sliding the undercooked scrambled eggs off.  I'm 99% certain that they slid those undercooked eggs back onto the griddle and cooked them some more – to the point of almost being crunchy.

At this point, I gave up and thought I'd just have the potatoes and bacon.  Those were, of course, stone cold after multiple trips back and forth.  We escalated the situation to a manager, who was less than helpful.  So, we're never going back there again. 

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #6063 on: August 27, 2014, 02:21:33 PM »
“All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #6064 on: August 27, 2014, 02:49:10 PM »

I'll have to google a bit then. Thanks for the suggestion!
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6065 on: August 27, 2014, 02:54:00 PM »
Not really shopping and I can't avoid the service but on top of my Bell nightmare, I got home today to find my garbage hadn't been collected.  It is supposed to be out at the curb by 7:00 but they are never that early on my street and both my neighbours still had garbage bags at the end of their driveway when I put it out before 8:00.  I called to complain and to get it picked up and got nothing but grief - it wasn't out early enough, was I sure the neighbours hadn't been picked up yet, if I continually complain, they won't come out and get it when it is missed, yada, yada.   >:(

I'm taking pictures of my garbage and house numbers and my neighbours' (with their permission) every garbage day for the next while.  This isn't the first time this has happened.  Normally, I'd just roll with it, put it back in the garage and put it out next week.  But I probably won't be there next week to put it out and I don't want it sitting for three weeks.  And my irritation with Bell is making me cranky.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

eltf177

« Reply #6066 on: August 27, 2014, 04:19:34 PM »
At this point, I gave up and thought I'd just have the potatoes and bacon.  Those were, of course, stone cold after multiple trips back and forth.  We escalated the situation to a manager, who was less than helpful.  So, we're never going back there again.

I hope you demanded the bill be comped and you wrote to corporate...

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6067 on: August 27, 2014, 05:06:24 PM »
Email sent to Bell, same email copied to the CRTC.  Be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it.
Ontario

Mergatroyd

« Reply #6068 on: August 27, 2014, 06:15:15 PM »
Email sent to Bell, same email copied to the CRTC.  Be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it.

If it's anything like the treatment we got, they'll promise to take fifty dollars off and then charge you the full price regardless. And then if you switch providers, they'll send the box for any equipment that needs to be returned to the old address. When you don't send it back (because you don't live there anymore and never received it) they'll send you a bill for the total cost of the equipment you failed to return. When you phone to tell them the box never arrived, they'll apologise for sending it to the wrong address, tell you not to worry about the bill as they're sending you a box that day to your right address and as long as it's shipped back within 30 days you'll be A-ok. The box will show up a few days later, you'll put the equipment in immediately and drop it off at the shipping outfit that same day, two weeks later, you'll get another bill, threatening to send you to collections. You'll phone and find out that your equipment did arrive there, but they haven't added it back to the inventory yet, but don't worry. One week later, you'll get a nasty letter from the collections agency, asking for the full price of the equipment you already returned and is sitting in Bell's warehouse waiting to be added back to inventory. Once you phone Bell back and mention a lawyer, all charges will miraculously disappear, because hey look, Bell had it for three weeks already! They're not sure what went wrong. It's never happened before.

Never, ever, ever, again.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6069 on: August 27, 2014, 07:53:15 PM »
Fortunately, there is no equipment to send back!  They've already agreed to waive the installation charge.  I'm planning to switch away from them eventually and I'm trying to talk my Dad into it.  If there is an installation charge on the next bill, that switch will be immediate for both of us.
Ontario

Mergatroyd

« Reply #6070 on: August 27, 2014, 08:07:59 PM »
We had tv with them. Our new provider has a modem for the cable, one for the phone, and one for the internet. They're also the only provider that was able to give me high speed internet so I'm ok with multiple modems. Lol.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #6071 on: August 28, 2014, 05:50:00 AM »
I'm really ticked at my credit card company right now.  I've had this card for well over a decade and only missed one payment. That was due to a natural disaster and there was absolutely no way for me to pay it as we had no power, no phones, no cable, and no mail for about 3 weeks (late charges were removed by company once I was able to call in and make a payment as our area was declared a disaster zone).

I've had some unexpected expenses come up during the last two months and my due date falls in between paychecks.  They offer payment arrangements "if you qualify".  I called to ask if my due date could be extended a mere two days so I wouldn't get hit with the $35 late fee. No, no and no. Seriously? It's two days and I haven't made a late payment in a decade. The funny part was the lady commented "Wow, you've been with us for XX years.  That's a really long time".  Her suggestion was to call back once I pay it and ask for the late fee to be removed.

Well believe me, I'm going to be shopping around for a new credit card company.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

poundcake

« Reply #6072 on: August 28, 2014, 06:39:59 AM »
When my plate arrived, the eggs were fried.  I hate fried eggs, so I sent them back.  The waitress came back a short time later, and it was pretty clear from the grease mark off one side of the plate that the kitchen simply slid the fried eggs off and gave me scrambled eggs rather than make a new plate of food.

This doesn't change the other problems, mind, but restaurants aren't obligated to make you an entirely new plate of food if just one of the items is a mistake (unless it's a severe food allergy). It's one thing if they put the grilled tomato on your dish and even just the slightest touch of tomato makes you violently ill. But if the steak is underdone or they gave you home fries instead of hash browns? That's just a quick single-item replacement. It's ridiculous and wasteful to think that the entire plate of food should be remade because one item was incorrect. In fact, doing so might delay your meal even further.

shhh its me

« Reply #6073 on: August 28, 2014, 07:13:15 AM »

If it's anything like the treatment we got, they'll promise to take fifty dollars off and then charge you the full price regardless. And then if you switch providers, they'll send the box for any equipment that needs to be returned to the old address. When you don't send it back (because you don't live there anymore and never received it) they'll send you a bill for the total cost of the equipment you failed to return. When you phone to tell them the box never arrived, they'll apologise for sending it to the wrong address, tell you not to worry about the bill as they're sending you a box that day to your right address and as long as it's shipped back within 30 days you'll be A-ok. The box will show up a few days later, you'll put the equipment in immediately and drop it off at the shipping outfit that same day, two weeks later, you'll get another bill, threatening to send you to collections. You'll phone and find out that your equipment did arrive there, but they haven't added it back to the inventory yet, but don't worry. One week later, you'll get a nasty letter from the collections agency, asking for the full price of the equipment you already returned and is sitting in Bell's warehouse waiting to be added back to inventory. Once you phone Bell back and mention a lawyer, all charges will miraculously disappear, because hey look, Bell had it for three weeks already! They're not sure what went wrong. It's never happened before.

Never, ever, ever, again.

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse...........

I use to work in mortgages and the most basic rule was "Be able to prove anything you claim."  eg.  "I make $10 a hour. " you need to have a w2 and pay stubs and written verification from your employee. "My mom gave me that $5,000 down payment.", you need a letter from your mom and then you need to prove it was actually your moms money to give by providing 6 months of her bank statements.  The only thing I've seen that the underwriters would just take peoples word for "I gave the cable company back the box I have no idea why there is a collection account for non-returned equipment."  ok sure , that happens so often we take your word for it and will just disregard it.    I'm in the States , this wasn't Bell it seems that in general cable/internet companies were so bad at crediting customer for returns of equipment that one of the least trusting professions will assume the cable company is misreporting the info.

Goosey

« Reply #6074 on: August 28, 2014, 07:54:38 AM »
I had the same thing happen with Time Warner Cable - except I never had the equipment. I have my own router and wireless thingie, so I told them I didn't need one when I ordered and when they came to install it in the house. They charged for maintenance on the things - not much, but money is money. I had to constantly check the bill because they'd put the charge for the maintenance of my own equipment on there. Then, I moved and got rid if TWC and they charged me for the equipment I supposedly didn't return - no amount of "I didn't HAVE any equipment from you" was working. I had to get a lawyer (who was my cousin - but they didn't need to know that) to send them a firmly worded letter before they'd stop billing me for the non-existent equipment.