Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1170770 times)

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6075 on: August 26, 2014, 10:24:34 PM »
Outdoor Girl, call your state's Public Services Commission and detail all of this.  I had continual trouble with Verizon's service -- at one point they gave me an appointment that was 10 days out! -- and a call to the Maryland PSC magically freed a Verizon service tech to come out that day.

Question -- is your Dad's phone service FIOS or old-fashioned copper phone lines?  SonIL2 works for Verizon, and told me that they were not servicing the copper, because they want everyone to switch to FIOS.  Didn't work for me.   >:D   I called my cable provider and bundled phone/TV/internet for less than I was spending on TV/cable + Verizon.  If I have a problem, I have a tech out that day. 
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

stkatie00

« Reply #6076 on: August 26, 2014, 11:48:40 PM »
Colonial Cafe and Restaurant.  When I was a kid, it was THE place to get awesome ice cream.  Over time, the ice cream remained fairly awesome, but the food declined.  Then the ice cream started declining, too. 

They didn't do any one thing, but the last time we went there, my chili tasted like ketchup with meat in it, and my milkshake was basically cold milk with Oreo (chocolate cookie, for those of you not in the US) powder in it.  They're more expensive than other similar restaurants, so that was the last time.  Pity- I used to love them.

Okay, I thought it was just us. The last time we were at Colonial Cafe, we noticed the decline in quality as well. Glad to know that we aren't alone but bummed that the chain has gone downhill like this.

That is so sad! We always used to go there after shows during HS (10+ backstage crew members-we always tipped very well because we knew our adrenaline high meant we were loud and a bit obnoxious at times), and I've always loved their turkey bacon club sandwich. It's been a couple years since we've actually gotten there-it's my "nice to have" option when we're in town, instead of my "need to have!" of Giordano's and Portillo's. :)

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #6077 on: August 27, 2014, 01:14:08 AM »
Oh, my -- they have Baldur's gate,  and Sim city delux.   There goes my free time.

Get Baldur's Gate Enhanced Edition- well worth it, in my opinion. Although I do miss several of the old bugs...

There is also a fan remae of King's Quest 2, which is free and fun (although the pumpkins seem like something from KQ5, not KQ2).

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #6078 on: August 27, 2014, 02:22:07 AM »
Outdoor Girl, call your state's Public Services Commission and detail all of this.  I had continual trouble with Verizon's service -- at one point they gave me an appointment that was 10 days out! -- and a call to the Maryland PSC magically freed a Verizon service tech to come out that day.

Question -- is your Dad's phone service FIOS or old-fashioned copper phone lines?  SonIL2 works for Verizon, and told me that they were not servicing the copper, because they want everyone to switch to FIOS.  Didn't work for me.   >:D   I called my cable provider and bundled phone/TV/internet for less than I was spending on TV/cable + Verizon.  If I have a problem, I have a tech out that day. 

She's in Canada, I think Ontario. But there should be an ombudsman service or Public Service Commission type agency for issues such as these. 

Facebook and Twitter are also great ways to get their attention

nayberry

« Reply #6079 on: August 27, 2014, 08:27:13 AM »

She's in Canada, I think Ontario. But there should be an ombudsman service or Public Service Commission type agency for issues such as these. 

Facebook and Twitter are also great ways to get their attention

twitters best as they can delete posts from their own fb page

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6080 on: August 27, 2014, 11:54:23 AM »
I've since been told by a dermatologist to only wear titanium earrings, thanks to my allergies and the fact I'm now very prone to cysts in my earlobes.

Can you wear niobium?  I'm very allergic to metals (I can't even wear stainless), and I wear niobium captive-bead hoops with no problem.

That at least would expand your shopping options.
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Mergatroyd

« Reply #6081 on: August 27, 2014, 11:59:58 AM »
Bell Canada.

My Dad is moving.  He phoned on August 18th to set up an appointment for August 25th.  Everything seemed to go fine - there was certainly no problem with the other two appointments he set up that day.

Usually, it is just a switch so when the phone wasn't working first thing yesterday, it was strange.  I waited a bit and tried again later - still no dial tone.  Called Bell around noon and there was no record of his order.  I ran out to the house to see if he'd recorded the confirmation, which he hadn't.  Called back, requested escalation to a supervisor, since when I left today, Dad wasn't going to have a phone at the apartment.  Supervisor and I agreed that she would call me back at 3:30 to let me know when they could expedite a technician, since the first appointment they could give me was this coming Saturday, after they lost the first order.  She was calling my cell phone - I told her I didn't have it on me, that it was at the apartment, charging, but I'd be there by 3:30.  I don't have voice mail on the phone.

She called back at 2:55; I wasn't there, as I'd told her I wouldn't be.  Waited until after 3:30 to call back; immediately requested a supervisor, who promised to call back.  Never did.  Called again at 5:20.  Asked for a supervisor again, who promised to call back by 6:00.  Never did.  Called again about 6:45.  Asked again for a supervisor.  Was finally told the appointment had been expedited to today between 8 and 12.  Never showed.  Called back at 12, they had no record of the expedited appointment and it was still set for Saturday, no way for it to happen today.  So I was lied to.

The reasons I requested the appointment be expedited is that they were the ones to screw up in the first place, my father is 80 years old and has a potentially life threatening allergy and I'm not comfortable with him being there with no phone!  Plus, he has been a customer of theirs for over 40 years at this one location, not counting all the time he was with Bell when there was no other option.

We wanted the appointment for yesterday because we could wait around at the apartment yesterday.  Saturday is going to be a problem because we are cleaning out the house and no one is going to be at the apartment.  We might have to leave my Dad there and have the technician call my cell phone so I can be there for the duration of the appointment - it's only about 10 minutes from the house to the apartment.

I'm switching my own service to my cable company as soon as my neighbour's cable line is replaced (just in case it disturbs mine) and I've been a Bell customer for almost 24 years.  I'm trying to talk my Dad into the same thing and actually made a tentative appointment for next week for them to come in and install it.  Now the only question is whether or not to keep the appointment with Bell and have them come in and replace all the phone lines and get everything working - on their dime - and then switch to the cable company after that.  The cable company will replace all the lines but we'll have to pay for that.

I'm still trying to decide whether or not to try to lodge a formal complaint because I'm not sure I'd keep their service if they offered it for free, I'm so angry right now.

Oh you better believe you should make a complaint. They "forgot" we moved, and charged us an extra six months of tv service at our old location 12 hours away, billed to that address. We only found out because of mail forwarding. They would have sent us to collections over it. (And yes, we had to pay.) Robbery, pure robbery.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6082 on: August 27, 2014, 12:10:20 PM »
I have a formal complaint typed up, with my brother's help, with the word 'negligence' prominantly featured.  I'm sending it to Bell and copying it to the CRTC.  I just have to wait for my nephew to text me back with my Dad's account number.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #6083 on: August 27, 2014, 02:17:44 PM »
I've since been told by a dermatologist to only wear titanium earrings, thanks to my allergies and the fact I'm now very prone to cysts in my earlobes.

Can you wear niobium?  I'm very allergic to metals (I can't even wear stainless), and I wear niobium captive-bead hoops with no problem.

I'm not sure, actually - I don't think I've ever tried niobium. Where do you get yours?
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #6084 on: August 27, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
I hope I haven't told this story on the site before.

My mother's old oil company is on my "do not use" list. Last winter, she had me check the oil level a couple of days before Christmas. Eep, it was very low - like, going to run out on a statutory holiday low. I called the company to order a delivery, because, you know, running out of heating oil over Christmas isn't good, particularly for a woman of 87 years.

They insisted they'd made a recent delivery, and we should have plenty of oil. I persisted that this was not so.

Finally, with great harrumphing, they argued that they would send out a truck. But, since it clearly wasn't necessary, they would charge an extra $50, unless they delivered more than X litres of oil (X being 80% of the tank).

They arrived, and filled the tank. Guess what? It took X + 25 litres of oil. That tank was dry!

Oh, and guess what else! They still charged us the extra $50 for the "non-emergency" delivery.

We were with a new company by New Year's.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Ms_Cellany

• The Queen of Squee
  • Super Hero!
  • Big white goggie? No. Hasn't seen him.
« Reply #6085 on: August 27, 2014, 02:47:22 PM »

I'm not sure, actually - I don't think I've ever tried niobium. Where do you get yours?

I got mine at a piercing parlor. But I've seen niobium online, including fishhook-style hooks. 
Current fosters: Boojum (F, adult);  Balrog, Rooney, Rascal, Rocket (M)

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #6086 on: August 27, 2014, 02:57:15 PM »

I got mine at a piercing parlor. But I've seen niobium online, including fishhook-style hooks.

Thanks for this.  I'm OK with 14+ carat gold and sterling silver but just about anything else gives me a rash, including stainless steel.  So I'll keep my eye out for niobium.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

DCGirl

« Reply #6087 on: August 27, 2014, 03:12:43 PM »
I have a couple of recent stories.

Doctor's office:  I go to a complementary/alternative medicine practice as it was the only practice that believed I had a thyroid problem and would prescribe medication for it.  The doctor I originally started with retired, and I was assigned to another doctor in the practice.  I arrived for my first appointment, and the first thing his assignment told me was that, "You need to understand that Dr. R believes in taking as much time with a patient as the patient needs, so he sometimes runs late."  Well, they warned me.  He was running 3.5 hours late that day.  I really need my prescription refilled, so I just sat there. 

He gave me a temporary supply of medication and ordered blood tests to determine if the current dosage was correct.  He also requested that I set up a phone appointment to review the results in two weeks.  Phone appointments start at 4:00 in the afternoon.  I set one up, giving my work phone number.  The day of my appointment, I waited and waited, till I finally had to call his assistant back to say I would no longer be at that number because I had to catch the last train home.  I couldn't give my cell phone number as there are areas of no reception on the train line.  The assistant set up another phone appointment a few days later.  I still wasn't called before I had to leave work.  This time, the assistant asked what time I could guarantee I'd be at my home number and said the doctor would call me then.  The doctor didn't call that night.

I called back and was told the doctor forgot he had to call me and had gone home before doing so.  I was given the doctor's cell phone to call. I called it and he hung up on me. 

Two days later, I got a package in the mail.  It was a note from the doctor's assistant saying, "I understand that you spoke to Dr. R last night.  Here is a sample of the supplement he recommended."  Yup, I got somebody else's vitamins. 

At that point, I called the assistant and said that I wanted a print-out of my test results and a prescription for three months of my thyroid medicine to tide me over while I found another doctor.  I'm in that research process now.

Pancake house: DH and I were tickled pink when an IHOP opened near us.  The service was not good the first time we went, but we figured that they just opened and it would get better.  It didn't.  The final straw was a late-night stop after a concert.  I order scrambled eggs and DH ordered fried eggs. 

When my plate arrived, the eggs were fried.  I hate fried eggs, so I sent them back.  The waitress came back a short time later, and it was pretty clear from the grease mark off one side of the plate that the kitchen simply slid the fried eggs off and gave me scrambled eggs rather than make a new plate of food.  The problem was that the scrambled eggs were extremely runny and practically raw.  I sent it back again. 

This time, in addition to the grease mark from sliding the fried eggs off, there was also a slime mark from sliding the undercooked scrambled eggs off.  I'm 99% certain that they slid those undercooked eggs back onto the griddle and cooked them some more to the point of almost being crunchy.

At this point, I gave up and thought I'd just have the potatoes and bacon.  Those were, of course, stone cold after multiple trips back and forth.  We escalated the situation to a manager, who was less than helpful.  So, we're never going back there again. 

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #6088 on: August 27, 2014, 03:21:33 PM »

Liliane

• Licensed to Squee
    • My Dreamwidth
« Reply #6089 on: August 27, 2014, 03:49:10 PM »

I'll have to google a bit then. Thanks for the suggestion!
~I'm just standing with you, in the darkness between battles~