News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 19, 2017, 07:02:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2566785 times)

wolfie

• I don't know what this is so I am putting random words here
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6075 on: August 28, 2014, 07:57:27 AM »
Email sent to Bell, same email copied to the CRTC.  Be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it.

If it's anything like the treatment we got, they'll promise to take fifty dollars off and then charge you the full price regardless. And then if you switch providers, they'll send the box for any equipment that needs to be returned to the old address. When you don't send it back (because you don't live there anymore and never received it) they'll send you a bill for the total cost of the equipment you failed to return. When you phone to tell them the box never arrived, they'll apologise for sending it to the wrong address, tell you not to worry about the bill as they're sending you a box that day to your right address and as long as it's shipped back within 30 days you'll be A-ok. The box will show up a few days later, you'll put the equipment in immediately and drop it off at the shipping outfit that same day, two weeks later, you'll get another bill, threatening to send you to collections. You'll phone and find out that your equipment did arrive there, but they haven't added it back to the inventory yet, but don't worry. One week later, you'll get a nasty letter from the collections agency, asking for the full price of the equipment you already returned and is sitting in Bell's warehouse waiting to be added back to inventory. Once you phone Bell back and mention a lawyer, all charges will miraculously disappear, because hey look, Bell had it for three weeks already! They're not sure what went wrong. It's never happened before.

Never, ever, ever, again.

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse...........

I use to work in mortgages and the most basic rule was "Be able to prove anything you claim."  eg.  "I make $10 a hour. " you need to have a w2 and pay stubs and written verification from your employee. "My mom gave me that $5,000 down payment.", you need a letter from your mom and then you need to prove it was actually your moms money to give by providing 6 months of her bank statements.  The only thing I've seen that the underwriters would just take peoples word for "I gave the cable company back the box I have no idea why there is a collection account for non-returned equipment."  ok sure , that happens so often we take your word for it and will just disregard it.    I'm in the States , this wasn't Bell it seems that in general cable/internet companies were so bad at crediting customer for returns of equipment that one of the least trusting professions will assume the cable company is misreporting the info.

That is the reason i always return the equipment in person. More of a pain but I get a receipt on the day and have never had an issue.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #6076 on: August 28, 2014, 08:12:46 AM »
I had the same thing happen with Time Warner Cable - except I never had the equipment. I have my own router and wireless thingie, so I told them I didn't need one when I ordered and when they came to install it in the house. They charged for maintenance on the things - not much, but money is money. I had to constantly check the bill because they'd put the charge for the maintenance of my own equipment on there. Then, I moved and got rid if TWC and they charged me for the equipment I supposedly didn't return - no amount of "I didn't HAVE any equipment from you" was working. I had to get a lawyer (who was my cousin - but they didn't need to know that) to send them a firmly worded letter before they'd stop billing me for the non-existent equipment.

Comcast did that to us. Every time we'd call to have a tech come out because the service was crap, he'd blame it on our router and tell us we needed to rent one from them. Well DH knows a bit about tech gadgets and he knew what we had was better than what they offered. So it was pretty ridiculous when I ended service with them and, instead of the refund I was due, received a letter stating my refund was being held until I returned their router! When I called the customer service rep told me she could clear it up, I just needed to submit a receipt proving I bought the router. I told her "No, that's not happening. This is my router which I owned before I ever signed up with comcast, my router which every tech you ever sent out blamed for your crap service. I don't know what kind of incorrect information is being displayed on my account but you need to get it removed and get my refund sent ASAP." She promised she would, and eventually did, but it took 2 or 3 more rounds of calls. I'll never use them again! I mean really? We suffered with spotty service for 2 years because their techs would walk in, see our router, blame it, and leave... and now you're going to try to say it was yours all along? Then why wasn't it ever serviced? You can't have it both ways, comcast!

Mergatroyd

« Reply #6077 on: August 28, 2014, 11:45:39 AM »
Email sent to Bell, same email copied to the CRTC.  Be interesting to see what, if anything, comes of it.

If it's anything like the treatment we got, they'll promise to take fifty dollars off and then charge you the full price regardless. And then if you switch providers, they'll send the box for any equipment that needs to be returned to the old address. When you don't send it back (because you don't live there anymore and never received it) they'll send you a bill for the total cost of the equipment you failed to return. When you phone to tell them the box never arrived, they'll apologise for sending it to the wrong address, tell you not to worry about the bill as they're sending you a box that day to your right address and as long as it's shipped back within 30 days you'll be A-ok. The box will show up a few days later, you'll put the equipment in immediately and drop it off at the shipping outfit that same day, two weeks later, you'll get another bill, threatening to send you to collections. You'll phone and find out that your equipment did arrive there, but they haven't added it back to the inventory yet, but don't worry. One week later, you'll get a nasty letter from the collections agency, asking for the full price of the equipment you already returned and is sitting in Bell's warehouse waiting to be added back to inventory. Once you phone Bell back and mention a lawyer, all charges will miraculously disappear, because hey look, Bell had it for three weeks already! They're not sure what went wrong. It's never happened before.

Never, ever, ever, again.

I'm not sure if this will make you feel better or worse...........

I use to work in mortgages and the most basic rule was "Be able to prove anything you claim."  eg.  "I make $10 a hour. " you need to have a w2 and pay stubs and written verification from your employee. "My mom gave me that $5,000 down payment.", you need a letter from your mom and then you need to prove it was actually your moms money to give by providing 6 months of her bank statements.  The only thing I've seen that the underwriters would just take peoples word for "I gave the cable company back the box I have no idea why there is a collection account for non-returned equipment."  ok sure , that happens so often we take your word for it and will just disregard it.    I'm in the States , this wasn't Bell it seems that in general cable/internet companies were so bad at crediting customer for returns of equipment that one of the least trusting professions will assume the cable company is misreporting the info.

That is the reason i always return the equipment in person. More of a pain but I get a receipt on the day and have never had an issue.

Oh, believe me, I had the paperwork with the signature from the shipping company,the tracking numbers, the dates I phoned, everything. I didn't phone and ask if it was received, I knew it had been, I phoned to confirm it's arrival as the tracking number was showing delivery. They knew it was there it was on their computer, it just hadn't been scanned in for re-use.

If I ever switch from my current provider I'll be able to return the modems personally. Bell warehouse is in Ontario though, and I'm in northern BC.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6078 on: August 28, 2014, 01:22:15 PM »
Just heard from Bell.  The person I spoke to (got his name and employee ID) says that they will credit my Dad for one month of service, waive all the installation charges and make us the first call of the day on Saturday so we don't have to wait around.  And he's going to look into who screwed up in the first place and who lied to me.  I gave him enough detail that he can pull the recordings.

So it will be interesting to see if they actually follow through.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Eeep!

« Reply #6079 on: August 28, 2014, 01:29:45 PM »
When my plate arrived, the eggs were fried.  I hate fried eggs, so I sent them back.  The waitress came back a short time later, and it was pretty clear from the grease mark off one side of the plate that the kitchen simply slid the fried eggs off and gave me scrambled eggs rather than make a new plate of food.

This doesn't change the other problems, mind, but restaurants aren't obligated to make you an entirely new plate of food if just one of the items is a mistake (unless it's a severe food allergy). It's one thing if they put the grilled tomato on your dish and even just the slightest touch of tomato makes you violently ill. But if the steak is underdone or they gave you home fries instead of hash browns? That's just a quick single-item replacement. It's ridiculous and wasteful to think that the entire plate of food should be remade because one item was incorrect. In fact, doing so might delay your meal even further.

I don't know. If it's a simple quick replacement, I would probably agree with you. But if the time it takes to fix the mistake will result in the rest of your food being cold, then I do think they should redo it all.  Regardless, it doesn't take much to clean up a plate before putting the fixed food on it. No one needs to see a food smear.
"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." - Dr. Seuss

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6080 on: August 28, 2014, 01:31:22 PM »
DD made the unfortunate mistake of renting a big screen tv (you know @ 300% interest) so I took it back for her...made them give me a receipt (they didn't want to, I insisted). 

Received at least three phone calls over the next six weeks asking for payment or bring the tv back.  Finally dropped by there with receipt in hand, the calls stopped.

Hillia

« Reply #6081 on: August 28, 2014, 01:36:01 PM »
The cable company we dealt with in Denver (Comcast maybe?)  had a drop off slot for you to return your equipment.  Yeah, I'm going to just randomly drop a few hundred dollars' worth of stuff with no check in, no receipt, nothing.  There was a customer service window (one) with a very long line - I'm sure so you'd get tired of waiting in line and just drop the stuff off.  I waited in line and got a very unhappy customer service person who was put out at having to write a receipt.

Twik

« Reply #6082 on: August 28, 2014, 01:43:35 PM »
DD made the unfortunate mistake of renting a big screen tv (you know @ 300% interest) so I took it back for her...made them give me a receipt (they didn't want to, I insisted). 

Received at least three phone calls over the next six weeks asking for payment or bring the tv back.  Finally dropped by there with receipt in hand, the calls stopped.

To be fair, most of these situations are not deliberate fraud, they're a "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing," sort of thing. Somehow the note that you returned the TV never made it into the file the other people were looking at.

Still incredibly frustrating, though, when one person says, "Oh, yes, I've noted that in the file," and it's not done, or else someone else is looking at a different file.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6083 on: August 28, 2014, 01:49:22 PM »

To be fair, most of these situations are not deliberate fraud, they're a "left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing," sort of thing. Somehow the note that you returned the TV never made it into the file the other people were looking at.

Still incredibly frustrating, though, when one person says, "Oh, yes, I've noted that in the file," and it's not done, or else someone else is looking at a different file.

I agree not attempted fraud but after the first call and you say I have a receipt wouldn't you think they would at least look in the receipt book to confirm?  Or ask around? 

MyFamily

« Reply #6084 on: August 28, 2014, 02:11:02 PM »
I am in the middle of a saga with Time Warner Cable - until it gets resolved, I don't want to share too much, but I will simply say that if you are speaking to anyone from TWC, don't believe a word out of their mouths if it has anything to do with their company.  I don't believe the CSR's are doing this intentionally, I believe it is the corporate bosses who set policies that this is how it is done, but I hope to never deal with them again.  Last night, I thanked the CSR for what TWC is doing to me, because it has helped remind us how happy we are to have left them.
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

Morty'sCleaningLady

« Reply #6085 on: August 28, 2014, 03:13:49 PM »
I recently moved out to the country.  Well, the cable isn't like it was in the city.  The subdivision I'm in is up in arms about the mediocre channel selection of the local cable company.  Half of them want the association to stop working with them and, instead, offer Time Warner.  I'm not going to say the little local cable company is the bestest ever, but when I call, I get a real person who is polite.  Why would I give that up for little-to-no-cost-savings and whatever the net result of the Time Warner/ Comcast merger?  A couple of them have switched to satellite, but with all the Time Warner and Comcast stories here, I'll stick with Comporium, gladly!!!
Formerly Mrs.Bart

MyFamily

« Reply #6086 on: August 28, 2014, 03:21:00 PM »
I recently moved out to the country.  Well, the cable isn't like it was in the city.  The subdivision I'm in is up in arms about the mediocre channel selection of the local cable company.  Half of them want the association to stop working with them and, instead, offer Time Warner.  I'm not going to say the little local cable company is the bestest ever, but when I call, I get a real person who is polite.  Why would I give that up for little-to-no-cost-savings and whatever the net result of the Time Warner/ Comcast merger?  A couple of them have switched to satellite, but with all the Time Warner and Comcast stories here, I'll stick with Comporium, gladly!!!

If it really comes down to them trying to switch to TWC, feel free to PM me and I'll share all the details of my issues with you, to share with them.
"The test of good manners is to be patient with bad ones" - Solomon ibn Gabirol

TomatoBunny

« Reply #6087 on: August 28, 2014, 03:50:57 PM »
Restaurants aren't obligated to make you an entirely new plate of food if just one of the items is a mistake (unless it's a severe food allergy). It's one thing if they put the grilled tomato on your dish and even just the slightest touch of tomato makes you violently ill. But if the steak is underdone or they gave you home fries instead of hash browns? That's just a quick single-item replacement. It's ridiculous and wasteful to think that the entire plate of food should be remade because one item was incorrect. In fact, doing so might delay your meal even further.

While I agree with your sentiment, if they're not going to replace/keep warm the rest of my food, I find it frustrating that they take the whole plate away instead of getting another plate to transfer the problem food to. Is this option really so difficult? Are there some policies in place that prohibit it or something? I would be happy to eat my fries/whatever while waiting for them to properly cook my entree, but that's not the way it usually happens.

They're just giving your meal more problems by taking the whole plate; ideally the plate comes out, everything is warm and nice, but then you have to send it back because of a problem. Then when it returns, hopefully the initial problem is fixed, but everything else involved is usually lukewarm/room-temp and hopefully not what they'd ideally want your experience to be. So now your meal has received two bad marks.  :-\

VorFemme

• It's too darned hot! (song from Kiss Me, Kate)
« Reply #6088 on: August 28, 2014, 06:07:24 PM »
I have twice (different chain restaurants) ordered one sandwich (no raw onions, pickles, or mustard - I have had my mouth start itching when eating a yogurt, dill, & cucumber sauce with Greek food - so I am avoiding pickled cucumbers whether or not dill is involved - better safe than sorry).  This would be out of six or eight orders over the last year, I've gotten two sandwiches twice - so I think that I'm being pretty clear most of the time. 

They repeat it back to me & I confirm the order.

Then I get two sandwiches - one "special" and the other with mustard, pickles, and raw onion.  If I am going to pay for two sandwiches, then I want them customized to the way I ordered the first one (I was clearly by myself both times - although I suppose it could be possible that the person taking the order thought that I was that hungry or that there was someone joining me at the table who hadn't finished whatever they were doing in the store or toilet area, yet).

If I order one sandwich, ask for the customization, and don't repeat the order after they repeat it back to me...then I get a sandwich that I can't eat due to pickles, onions, and mustard. 

Once in the same period of time, they didn't update the receipt to reflect the changes...I scraped off the stuff and hoped that there wasn't too much pickle juice soaked into the bun that time (traveling across town and there was no time for a second meal to be made - traffic had been bad & I was running barely on time to make an appointment).

I did not go back & complain later - but one place I will never go back to, even though they are now not a chain burger place but an independent local barbeque place....the other two, will I go in and specify by number what I am ordering, combo (or just the sandwich), and then state the needed changes. 

We'll see how the second local place does next week - I'm not going to be heading there tomorrow...I won't be going shopping in that area again until next week (or even the week after). 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I explain?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6089 on: August 28, 2014, 10:56:34 PM »

To a certain extent, if a company is so bad at doing business that they can't manage to keep track of when equipment is returned, when renting equipment is a part of their business, and the problem is not once in a while but an ongoing, regular problem, and yet they continue to send people to collections claiming that the person didn't return it... I'd consider it moral fraud, even if it doesn't meet the legal definition.  When they send the case to collections, they're claiming that they know the person didn't return the equipment.  But they know that they don't know that, that their system is unreliable (trust me, if everybody else in the country knows that they are notorious for this, it can't have escaped their notice as well), and thus they are making a false claim.  I'm not claiming that this is fraud in a legal sense, but I think they are still defrauding their customers and the collection system.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14
Baby Charlie expected 9/17