News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 06:06:12 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2457745 times)

Snooks

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #6135 on: September 12, 2014, 04:34:12 PM »
Gigsandtours.com are now officially on my "bad-mouth to everyone around list".

I got tickets to one event with them, and then on discussion with a friend realised we'd gotten one too many (previous tickets had sold out in a flash, so we were both trying to get them and doubled up by mistake). No problem, I can just cancel the ticket - or not. No cancellation of orders, non-negotiable. Because apparently they've never heard of plans changing, or things coming up at the last minute, or to be more accurate, they don't care. Haven't received the tickets, so I can't even sell them (as most people want proof that you have them, eg, photo, before they'll pay money). They're in no rush to send me the tickets, but you can bet the money went out of my account at breakneck speed. So my "order" is currently little more than data on a system, but nooooo, can't refund it. Also, their system was really inconsistant about what was and wasn't available (stalls, circle, etc) but they won't hear of being able to change your booking. My attempts to ask for a little consideration got rather snotty responses back too.

Tried to get tickets to something today (Foo Fighters, tiny gig not far from my house - would have been amazing...) and openly GROANED when I saw it was Gigsandtours. Website hit max capacity in a minute of the tickets being available, so I was stuck on a slow loading screen while it tried to reconnect me. Who'da thunk a massive band that regularly sells out stadium venues might be fairly in demand, eh? Sold out in ten minutes, which isn't their fault. What is their fault is the system repeatedly going "Wait! More tickets!" then "Lol, maybe not" when you clicked buy.

I don't know if they're UK only or not, but if you can get your tickets any other way (eg, directly from the venue), do it.

I didn't even get close, being at work meant I didn't find out about the gigs until far too late :(  Will have to make do with memories of seeing them at the Astoria in 2005 which sold out in 15 minutes and I got to see for free due to my brother being the best-brother-in-the-whole-world-when-I-don't-want-to-throttle-him

sevenday

« Reply #6136 on: September 13, 2014, 03:12:55 PM »
I am currently in the middle of a really nasty situation with the organizers of a convention for a specific show that I enjoy. I am deaf and require an interpreter to have access to their panels and events. In the past they have been notoriously inaccurate about their legal obligations - they claim that because they are a private company they are not required to provide an interpreter. I informed them that this was not true and provided them with legal statutes to back it up. They finally did barter with a woman I know to have her interpret. Great. They want me to pay XXX+YYY for a front row seat.  I told them that it logically adds up to an unintentional tax on me for being deaf because Row B (the $XXX ticket) wouldn't work due to the fact that there would be a head directly between me and the interpreter.  I'm not asking for a front row seat because I want to count the actors' freckles or get great photos or something; I'm doing it purely because my disability and its accommodation requires me to have line of sight. 

Their counter was "Oh I didn't realize price was a concern" (REALLY??)  then "We can put you to the side of the stage with general admission." Except no, that won't quite work either because the interpreter will be blocking the action on the stage. A lot of what she signs would lose context plus I'd miss any physical things that happen behind her... not to mention that I kind of think the other people sitting near me would be equally pissed about not being able to see the panelists either.  They also said that they needed the income (that YYY) to cover costs, relying on that, etc and "the other 2 people" already paid full price for their front row seats, etc - and then said that they especially needed me to pay the full cost because they had bartered a free front row seat to the interpreter for her daughter (in lieu of paying her).  ... Okay, how is that relevant to me at all?

So after all that pressure to pay for the front row ticket I finally told them "I am extremely unhappy about it, but fine, here's my information."  ... That was evening of the 11th.  We are now past 24 hours and no one has gotten back to me with the ticket information (and they haven't charged my card yet either at least so there's that).   I'm just peeved at this point.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #6137 on: September 15, 2014, 11:44:23 AM »
This may be silly, but it left a bad taste in my mouth . . .

Some friends and I went out for lunch to a local restaurant I'd never been to before.  The food was fine, but the service was well below acceptable.  The server didn't really check on us (despite it being a smallish restaurant and we were smack dab in the middle of the room), sounded like she really didn't like her job, and just generally was disagreeable.  Except we couldn't even lower our tip, because we got an auto-gratuity of 18% added to our bill (for five people).

Then, on top of that, the receipt said they gave a 2% discount if you pay in cash.  Which I did, and didn't get my $0.25 discount.  And yes, I feel grumpy enough about the server stealing my quarter that it balances out the totally acceptable food quality  ::)

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #6138 on: September 15, 2014, 02:03:40 PM »

Some friends and I went out for lunch to a local restaurant I'd never been to before.  The food was fine, but the service was well below acceptable.  The server didn't really check on us (despite it being a smallish restaurant and we were smack dab in the middle of the room), sounded like she really didn't like her job, and just generally was disagreeable.  Except we couldn't even lower our tip, because we got an auto-gratuity of 18% added to our bill (for five people).

Then, on top of that, the receipt said they gave a 2% discount if you pay in cash.  Which I did, and didn't get my $0.25 discount.  And yes, I feel grumpy enough about the server stealing my quarter that it balances out the totally acceptable food quality  ::)

That bad taste in your mouth...tell 10 people and it might help it go away.  Word of mouth, literally, can get a restaurant pointed in the right direction.

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #6139 on: September 15, 2014, 02:11:03 PM »

I think I would have asked for the manager and asked to have the autograt waived, explaining why.  5 isn't that large of a party.  If s/he wouldn't do it, well, that would tell me that it wasn't going to be a restaurant I patronized.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

sandisadie

« Reply #6140 on: September 15, 2014, 03:20:41 PM »
I have a dentist story.  I moved to this state 4 yrs ago.  I take really good care of my teeth and go every 6 months for cleaning, etc.  So I looked into getting a dentist in my new area.  I finally decided upon a chain that seemed to be well recommended and had a location near me.  At my first appointment I was not seen until an hour past my appointment.  The waiting room was full of patients.  It was a large place with many stations.  The tech. finally called me in for xrays.  I was a little shocked when she pulled out antiquated equipment and proceeded to do the xrays.  I hadn't seen that kind of equipment in years! 

Then she proceeded with the cleaning.  She did not check my gums with the little measure to see if they were receding.  She did almost nothing except use the paste to scrub the teeth.  After waiting about 30 minutes after that a dentist rushed in and began to look quickly into my mouth.  He looked at the exrays and then began to fire instructions to the tech. as to which of my crowns needed replacing.  I have alot of crowns.  He also told me that several of my teeth were cracked and needed fillings.  With that he departed and I was hustled out to see someone about the cost and payment of all that work that needed to be done without delay!  Several thousand dollars!  I don't have dental insurance;  not a problem.  we will set up a payment schedule!

I left there and the next day located a well recommended private dentist, also in my area.  When I went in I informed him that I had been to another dental establishment two weeks prior and that after he examined my teeth and the new xrays that his tech had done (with modern equipment no less) I would compare what he told me with what the other dentist had told me.  I was not shocked to find out that I had nothing wrong with my teeth or any of my crowns.  Everything was in perfect condition.  The only thing that I needed was a thorough cleaning which included some tartar scraping and of course my gum levels were checked and we discussed the fact that I have a couple of places where my gums are receding, mainly due to my age.  I have had this condition for several years and had just completed a laser treatment with my former dentist a few months before I had moved to this new state.

I then told him what the first dentist had told me was going on with my mouth.  My new dentist just kept shaking his head and finally told me that I had nothing to worry about.  He didn't ask where I had gone first and I didn't tell him.  I've seen him now for 4 years, every 6 months and have had nothing done but cleanings.

TurtleDove

« Reply #6141 on: September 15, 2014, 03:40:37 PM »
I am currently in the middle of a really nasty situation with the organizers of a convention for a specific show that I enjoy. I am deaf and require an interpreter to have access to their panels and events. In the past they have been notoriously inaccurate about their legal obligations - they claim that because they are a private company they are not required to provide an interpreter. I informed them that this was not true and provided them with legal statutes to back it up. They finally did barter with a woman I know to have her interpret. Great. They want me to pay XXX+YYY for a front row seat.  I told them that it logically adds up to an unintentional tax on me for being deaf because Row B (the $XXX ticket) wouldn't work due to the fact that there would be a head directly between me and the interpreter.  I'm not asking for a front row seat because I want to count the actors' freckles or get great photos or something; I'm doing it purely because my disability and its accommodation requires me to have line of sight. 

Their counter was "Oh I didn't realize price was a concern" (REALLY??)  then "We can put you to the side of the stage with general admission." Except no, that won't quite work either because the interpreter will be blocking the action on the stage. A lot of what she signs would lose context plus I'd miss any physical things that happen behind her... not to mention that I kind of think the other people sitting near me would be equally pissed about not being able to see the panelists either.  They also said that they needed the income (that YYY) to cover costs, relying on that, etc and "the other 2 people" already paid full price for their front row seats, etc - and then said that they especially needed me to pay the full cost because they had bartered a free front row seat to the interpreter for her daughter (in lieu of paying her).  ... Okay, how is that relevant to me at all?

So after all that pressure to pay for the front row ticket I finally told them "I am extremely unhappy about it, but fine, here's my information."  ... That was evening of the 11th.  We are now past 24 hours and no one has gotten back to me with the ticket information (and they haven't charged my card yet either at least so there's that).   I'm just peeved at this point.

Could the interpreter just be near you further back in the venue?  If not, I really don't think the venue is out of line for requiring you to pay for a front row seat if you are in fact sitting in a front row seat. 

Slartibartfast

« Reply #6142 on: September 15, 2014, 04:06:31 PM »

Could the interpreter just be near you further back in the venue?  If not, I really don't think the venue is out of line for requiring you to pay for a front row seat if you are in fact sitting in a front row seat.

A good venue would find a way to make line-of-sight, end-of-row, wheelchair access, etc. seats available *without* sacrificing their front and center premium spots.  That often means exactly what they suggested - front-row or aisle seats in a side section, so the angle isn't perfect but it allows customers to see both the interpreter and the stage.  Sevenday, do you know for sure that the interpreter would block the action on the stage itself?  Could they have a tiered setup so you can see both?

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6143 on: September 15, 2014, 04:18:07 PM »
I have a dentist story.  I moved to this state 4 yrs ago.  I take really good care of my teeth and go every 6 months for cleaning, etc.  So I looked into getting a dentist in my new area.  I finally decided upon a chain that seemed to be well recommended and had a location near me.  At my first appointment I was not seen until an hour past my appointment.  The waiting room was full of patients.  It was a large place with many stations.  The tech. finally called me in for xrays.  I was a little shocked when she pulled out antiquated equipment and proceeded to do the xrays.  I hadn't seen that kind of equipment in years! 

Then she proceeded with the cleaning.  She did not check my gums with the little measure to see if they were receding.  She did almost nothing except use the paste to scrub the teeth.  After waiting about 30 minutes after that a dentist rushed in and began to look quickly into my mouth.  He looked at the exrays and then began to fire instructions to the tech. as to which of my crowns needed replacing.  I have alot of crowns.  He also told me that several of my teeth were cracked and needed fillings.  With that he departed and I was hustled out to see someone about the cost and payment of all that work that needed to be done without delay!  Several thousand dollars!  I don't have dental insurance;  not a problem.  we will set up a payment schedule!

I left there and the next day located a well recommended private dentist, also in my area.  When I went in I informed him that I had been to another dental establishment two weeks prior and that after he examined my teeth and the new xrays that his tech had done (with modern equipment no less) I would compare what he told me with what the other dentist had told me.  I was not shocked to find out that I had nothing wrong with my teeth or any of my crowns.  Everything was in perfect condition.  The only thing that I needed was a thorough cleaning which included some tartar scraping and of course my gum levels were checked and we discussed the fact that I have a couple of places where my gums are receding, mainly due to my age.  I have had this condition for several years and had just completed a laser treatment with my former dentist a few months before I had moved to this new state.

I then told him what the first dentist had told me was going on with my mouth.  My new dentist just kept shaking his head and finally told me that I had nothing to worry about.  He didn't ask where I had gone first and I didn't tell him.  I've seen him now for 4 years, every 6 months and have had nothing done but cleanings.

I ran into this with a chain dental place.  Apparently they are notorious for making up all sorts of stuff you need done.  (If anybody is curious, it starts with 'A' and is the name of a well-known coniferous tree.)  I went to a dental school instead and got much better care for the one slight thing that I did need done, and didn't have to get the thousands of dollars of work done.

My current dentist told me, at my first appointment, that I needed to get braces.  I just had braces a few years ago.  They never fixed the problem he says I have, even after wearing them for over two years.  So I don't really see the point in doing it again.  I was nervous about being pressured at this appointment, but he let it drop when I said I wouldn't want to do it again.  Whew.
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #6144 on: September 15, 2014, 05:00:01 PM »
(If anybody is curious, it starts with 'A' and is the name of a well-known coniferous tree.)

I know well this dental practice of which you speak. :-\ They kept forcing all kinds of unnecessary things on me too, even though insurance wouldn't cover it (X-rays at every visit? Um, no) and every single filling they did on me fell out a few weeks later.

I now have a far better dentist.
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

otterwoman

« Reply #6145 on: September 15, 2014, 05:17:35 PM »

I ran into this with a chain dental place.  Apparently they are notorious for making up all sorts of stuff you need done.  (If anybody is curious, it starts with 'A' and is the name of a well-known coniferous tree.)  I went to a dental school instead and got much better care for the one slight thing that I did need done, and didn't have to get the thousands of dollars of work done.

My current dentist told me, at my first appointment, that I needed to get braces.  I just had braces a few years ago.  They never fixed the problem he says I have, even after wearing them for over two years.  So I don't really see the point in doing it again.  I was nervous about being pressured at this appointment, but he let it drop when I said I wouldn't want to do it again.  Whew.

I'll type it out: ASPEN DENTAL is a rip off!!!

They tried the same carp with me, I refused to let them do what they wanted. I couldn't find another dentist (I had just moved to a new area). I ended up driving 4 1/2 hours back to my old dentist for the entire time I lived in that area. I throw things at the tv when I see their commercials.

Slartibartfast

« Reply #6146 on: September 15, 2014, 05:36:57 PM »

They tried the same carp with me, I refused to let them do what they wanted. I couldn't find another dentist (I had just moved to a new area). I ended up driving 4 1/2 hours back to my old dentist for the entire time I lived in that area. I throw things at the tv when I see their commercials.

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out the chain, because the only "A" tree I could think of was aspen and I don't think they're coniferous  :-[

sevenday

« Reply #6147 on: September 15, 2014, 05:58:29 PM »
The convention hall in question is not tiered - all seats on the same floor level. I agree that there should be some arrangement where they don't have to sacrifice the front row seats but still have me be able to follow what's happening.  Past conventions have had at least one big screen but the camera is trained on the guests so that the people who ARE sitting in the back rows can see what's going on.  (A thought was to have a camera on the interpreter, and have us seat ourselves normally, but without a screen this isn't possible and they haven't confirmed whether there is one at all.)  I'm also not sure how elevated the stage is. At some locations it's only a foot, in others it's nearly shoulder height. 

I've asked them for pictures of the hall so I can guide them as to where would be best to position an interpreter with minimum fuss to us and to them (i.e. out of the $$$$ seats, etc) but they haven't provided any. From what I hear they haven't given any info to the interpreter either, who also requested that for the same reason.  Normally for things like plays we do get seats in the front two rows (although it is very rare to have a premium on these seats) off to the left or right somewhat with the interpreter either standing or sitting directly in front of us so we can see "through" them to the action on the stage. This does not impede anyone else's view of the action.  This is a different situation because of the nontiered seating, unknown stage height, etc.   I only have a partial seating chart and with the seating as it is presently the only good viewing angles are in the front row, which creates this problem.  Supposedly there are general admission "wings" to the sides of the stage, but I'm uncertain how they're established so I can't help them.

The problem is twofold - one, they are sitting JUST on this side of legal as far as satisfying their legal obligations for accommodations, and the other is that they continually drop the ball with communication.  I had to email them multiple times over nearly a month and finally with my last email I got a response from a different department entirely than customer service, and now he too has gone radio silent after I provided him with the CC details he urgently needed in order to reserve my seat. (No charge, no ticket information. Info was given afternoon of 9/11).  Now according to the online chart all the front row seats are sold, but I do not know which, if any, are still reserved (i.e. intended to be sold to me).
« Last Edit: September 15, 2014, 06:08:05 PM by sevenday »

sandisadie

« Reply #6148 on: September 15, 2014, 06:39:02 PM »
OP here.  The questionable dental practice I am referring to is "My Dentist".  Aspen Dental is also in my area.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #6149 on: September 15, 2014, 07:40:41 PM »

I was wracking my brain trying to figure out the chain, because the only "A" tree I could think of was aspen and I don't think they're coniferous  :-[

Oops!  You're right.  I don't live where aspens do, and I just always assumed they were some sort of coniferous tree because there's the connection with snow and mountains (John Denver song and all) and there's a ski resort named Aspen, etc.  Apparently they're deciduous and not at all like what I thought they were!  Sorry about that.  :)
Emily is 10 years old!  1/07
Jenny is 8 years old!  10/08
Charlotte is 7 years old!  8/10
Megan is 4 years old!  10/12
Lydia is 2 years old!  12/14