News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• October 16, 2017, 07:16:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2560688 times)

Kiwipinball

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #8610 on: September 09, 2017, 09:21:55 PM »
IMO the milk might be "iffy" but the meat and eggs would be fine. It's not like they were sitting outside unwrapped in the summer sun.

If it's below 80, eggs are fine if they are let sit out for a week or so.  When it gets to be 100 out the eggs sweet a bit which can allow bacteria in, and of course, if they are fertile, you start to risk them hatching if you leave them sit for 3 weeks or more.

Eggs can be left unrefrigerated? I didn't know that. What about the expiration date? Are eggs still good after that?

I think this only applies to eggs that haven't been washed to remove the protective coating they're laid with. Almost all storebought eggs have been washed and have to be refrigerated.

In the US. Some other countries don't and then sell their eggs not refrigerated. Which absolutely freaked me out the first time I saw it. I figured it had to be okay since it was obviously intentional (all their eggs were just on shelves, not like someone just left one somewhere). But it looked and felt as wrong as seeing milk out on shelves would have.

Slartibartfast

• Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #8611 on: September 09, 2017, 10:04:01 PM »
Even in the US, where our milk spoils in hours and our eggs are washed, eggs don't go bad that fast. You can keep them two or three days at room temperature and they'll be fine.

Ser Lucien Liliane

• He Who Makes Words Make Sense
    • My tumblr
« Reply #8612 on: September 09, 2017, 10:12:03 PM »
Good to know. :) I honestly thought they go off faster than that.
"This is the kind of nonsense up with which I will not put."

pattycake

« Reply #8613 on: September 10, 2017, 08:10:12 AM »
Your eggs are in the retail chain a lot longer than you think! I can't remember where I found a video on it, but they can be in the system for probably a month before they hit the store shelves, and still be good for a couple of weeks. Here's how to tell if they're okay to eat, even if they are past the best before date (remember, best before has to do with quality, not that it is definitely bad after that date)

"Just fill a bowl with cold water and place your eggs in the bowl. If they sink to the bottom and lay flat on their sides, they're very fresh. If they're a few weeks old but still good to eat, they'll stand on one end at the bottom of the bowl. If they float to the surface, they're no longer fresh enough to eat."

We get eggs fresh from a farm, and they put the date they were laid on one egg in the flat and I have yet to have a problem with them a month after that date.

AfleetAlex

• Proud cat mom and Auntie
« Reply #8614 on: September 11, 2017, 03:35:11 PM »
Drunk Jelly. Saw them featured on some listicle in early July.

When I first started reading this, I was still in "terms of customer/server endearment" brain mode, and I thought, "Drunk Jelly? What a weird thing to call someone."  :-\

Clearly, I need more coffee.  ;D

I just did the same thing. Here, it's Monday Brain.  ;D
I have a chronic case of foot-in-mouth disease.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #8615 on: September 18, 2017, 08:02:14 AM »
Drunk Jelly. Saw them featured on some listicle in early July.

When I first started reading this, I was still in "terms of customer/server endearment" brain mode, and I thought, "Drunk Jelly? What a weird thing to call someone."  :-\

Clearly, I need more coffee.  ;D

I just did the same thing. Here, it's Monday Brain.  ;D

Ha. I'd call someone that. (Not professionally, though!) ;)

On a related note, I got an e-mail over the weekend. They've realized they can't keep up with their orders and have taken the liberty of canceling my order. Which is nice, because I now won't have to monitor my bank statement relentlessly, but also fairly annoying. And they started their e-mail with, "Dear Valued Drunk Jelly Customer"...

MissRose

« Reply #8616 on: September 24, 2017, 07:44:09 AM »
Someone in a gardening group that I belong to made a post about cheap planters at Dollar General. I went for the first time today, and do not understand why anyone would choose to shop there, when we have a nice store just down the street that is cheaper, better organized and has more than one employee working at one time. It was crazy! Empty shelves, stuff in the aisles, and expensive.

For contrast, the Dollar General nearest to us is well-stocked, clean, and thrifty. I suspect like any other chain, they have their problem areas.

That is true, as I've been to various chain places where some are well stocked and service is good, others are questionable.

Peppergirl

« Reply #8617 on: September 27, 2017, 10:32:36 AM »
**Warning: Long!**

I can't really see this being the end of me shopping at Target, but it was pretty appalling and I actually called customer service, which I've never done with Target:

Visited yesterday morning before work to get a couple of outfits for my granddaughter's birthday.  Of course, being Target, I ended up spending over $100.00 total, when the outfits and gift bags only accounted for about $40 (hate that, but my own fault). 

I went to the checkout and only self-checkout was open. I'm not against self-checkout, but on large orders and with Cartwheel it's generally a hassle.  I just went with the flow, though.

I got to the end and the attendant wandered over and said, "Let me know if you have issues with the receipt.  This one has been acting up this morning."

I tried to think positive and went to pay.  I was relieved when a receipt spit out but, alas, it was incorrect.  I called her back over and she said, "Oh no.  I'll have to try to suspend and get a receipt over here."  I was patient and thanked her. 

Unfortunately, at that same time a lady approached and made a fuss about wanting to check out with a full-service cashier.  The attendant, as she's required to do, tried to talk her in to self-checkout but fussy wasn't having it.  Certainly her right but it was just bad timing for me and for the poor attendant, who was clearly alone and out of her depth because of it.  She turned to me and said, "I'll just ring her up real fast and be right with you."  I was not amused, but sucked it up and waited.

As you can probably imagine, the act of the attendant going to the cashier station and opening to assist the fussy lady set off the inevitable: people saw a line open (although no light on) and proceeded to line up.  I stood there somewhat shocked and waited about 3 more minutes. I finally said, "Ma'am, no offense - but as long as you're open people are going to continue to line up and I really need my receipt. Is there anyone who can help?" 

She began to get flustered and told me I could go over to customer service, as there was no line there.  I glanced over at customer service, also manned by only one person,  and saw 4 people lined up there.  I looked back over to the attendant and said, "Sorry, no. She's got a large line there as well." 

At that point she radioed to the customer service person who told her a receipt could be generated in "the office".  She then called the office and asked for the receipt and gave the register number. 

About 10 minutes had passed by now between pauses to check people out and the conversations she was having.  I'll admit to getting testy.  I said, "How long is this going to take?" I'm sure I sounded exasperated, but at no time was I rude, nor did I raise my voice.  She said, "Just a few minutes."  Another customer said to her, "You've got it rough today," to which she replied, "I'm trying really hard but I'm getting it from all sides this morning."

Oh E-Hell no!  I was firmly on her side up until this point and, to be fair, she may not have been referring to me - but it was entirely inappropriate to say.  I took a deep breath and let it go.  I realize I should have demanded a manager at this point, but I was so flustered and nervous about cutting it close to get to work, I just wanted to get the e-hell out of there. I didn't want to tattle on her,  but I was pissed - I admit. 

About 5 minutes later (total time is at 15 or so by now) a guy comes sauntering out of the back and hands me a printed receipt on standard copier paper. He gave a halfhearted, "Sorry about that."  I said, "What is this?" he said, "Your receipt."  I then asked if I would have any issues returning anything with this and he said no.  Then I asked about gift receipts, which caused deer-in-the-headlights all around and no responses.  I just said, "Oh my God - forget it. I have to go." 

I got my stuff and got out of there. I was actually shaking when I reached my car.  On the way out, a lady that had been nearby and had seen part of this said, "Unreal - you were way more patient than I would have been."  I couldn't even speak. I just nodded and kept going. 

I called customer service on my way home, who followed their script and apologized, etc.  They took my name, number and email. I asked if someone from store-level would be in contact and was told, "Possibly, but it's not guaranteed."  I asked why and he said that all they can do is report the issue and that someone from the district level may follow up.  ::)  I thanked him and ended the call.  I was just done by this point, although I was polite and professional throughout the call.

I really think I need to follow up with the store directly.  It's absolutely ludicrous that they were understaffed to the point that this happened.  Other than the attendant's little quip to the other customer, I absolutely did not blame her at all. I blame the management of the store - full stop.  If I had had more time I would have asked for a manager, but I really was shocked and felt like I was a hostage because I just had to get out of there. :(   

I am certain I could have handled it differently, but man was I mad. I still am, actually.  If I wanted to have a Wal-Mart experience, I'd shop at Wal-Mart.  No offense to those who like Wal-Mart, and there are some good ones, but most in my area offer abysmal service...although I'm not sure I've experienced much worse than what transpired here. 

Edited for clarity
« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 11:21:52 AM by Peppergirl »

gmatoy

« Reply #8618 on: September 28, 2017, 12:15:22 AM »
Peppergirl, I don't know where you are, but that would never fly where I am. (Washington state) Whenever I have called (maybe 3 times in 10 years?) I have gotten a return call from someone further up the ladder. I hope they do right by you.

Peppergirl

« Reply #8619 on: September 28, 2017, 09:55:25 AM »
Thanks, GMA.

I am in Florida.  I also sent a tactfully worded tweet to the @AskTarget handle on Wednesday and have yet to be acknowledged in any way.  Clearly I'm doing it wrong.

Still kicking around the idea of calling the store directly.  I don't want anything out of this but I'd like to be sure it doesn't happen again, whether it be to me or to someone else. 

Twik

« Reply #8620 on: September 28, 2017, 10:19:45 AM »
Even in the US, where our milk spoils in hours and our eggs are washed, eggs don't go bad that fast. You can keep them two or three days at room temperature and they'll be fine.

Saw an interesting Youtube video on premodern ways of preserving food. Eggs can be kept at room temperature for an amazing period of time unwashed, and could be kept for at least a *year* if submerged in limewater. That shell is an amazing construct for preserving freshness!

So, one benefit of keeping hens for early farmers would be that the eggs could be stored relatively easily over the period when then hens stopped laying, as well as being easy to ship to markets some distance away.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

o_gal

« Reply #8621 on: September 28, 2017, 11:11:49 AM »
She turned to me and said, "I'll just ring her up real fast and be right with you."  I was not amused, but sucked it up and waited.

Cranky Getting Older O_Gal has started not allowing stuff like this to happen. It's in the same category with developing a shiny spine.

Fussy lady got her way because she was more insistent, probably louder, and fussy. In these kind of situations, I have (politely, I hope) said that no, I'm in a hurry because of X reason, so would you please just complete my transaction first? And if she had said that line again, I would have again politely insisted that she handle my transaction first. In the 2 times that I've employed this tactic, the other customer hasn't said a peep, I got my stuff done, and got out of there. It kind of politely shames the other customer. I haven't yet run into any snowflakes that would then insist that no, they still get to go first over me.

Peppergirl

« Reply #8622 on: September 28, 2017, 11:40:50 AM »
You are absolutely right, O-Gal!  I definitely should have spoken up and am kicking myself for not doing so.  I usually have no problem standing up for myself, but I was distracted and half-way shocked at how it was playing out.  Does that make sense? 

Have you guys ever been so surprised by something happening that you're semi-speechless for a minute?

I'm actually far more upset that no one has replied to my tweet, and by customer service's assertion that someone 'may or may not' contact me to discuss.  If I get a break today I'm definitely calling the store.  I should probably let it go, but I've been doing a slow burn about it since it happened.

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #8623 on: September 28, 2017, 12:27:58 PM »
I usually love Target, but their self-checkout is THE WORST.

gramma dishes

« Reply #8624 on: September 28, 2017, 01:45:03 PM »
Most of the stores around here who had self checkout lanes discontinued them after about a year.  Managers said they lost far more money due to people 'forgetting' to scan certain items before leaving the store than it would have cost to pay cashiers for those same stations.  So they just abruptly stopped what they ultimately decided had been a failed social-commercial experiment.