Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1183501 times)

LadyPekoe

• Cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #90 on: September 17, 2010, 09:49:27 AM »
My childhood dentist said I need braces IMMEDIATELY.  If I did not get braces, my life would be ruined.  He went on and on and terrified my mom.  She said she had to talk to my father about it and the dentist made a big deal about how she shouldn't have to ask my father anything because they were divorced.  My dad happened to be in the middle of a job change and didn't have insurance.  My mom was worried the lack of braces would ruin my life and told the dentist that she would find a way to pay anyway.  All of a sudden, without insurance, I was cured!  I no longer needed braces.  I was fine!  Mom started taking me to a new dentist and it turned out the old one wasn't supposed to be giving kids braces anyway (he wasn't licensed for it). 
I'm cooking my way through The Joy of Cooking!  Join me on my quest :)
www.thejoyofthejoyofcooking.blogspot.com

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #91 on: September 17, 2010, 09:56:40 AM »
yep "plush size gals" just should lock themselves up in a dresser somewhere till they are skinny enough to "matter"

Yeah my best friend has said something to this affect a few times, and after one experience at the Target in Cedar Rapids, she's decided not to bother trying to find clothes for herself there anymore.   She'll look for other stuff there, but she's written off their clothing department because of their selection of nice looking shirts for women her size.   That is to say, almost nothing at all, and she's not overweight, just taller (5'7") and big boned.  

So this experience took place in Feb. of '09, she'd just dropped her sis and niece off at the airport along with a mutual friend of theirs, and decided that since she was in CR she'd run a few errands that took her to Target.   After getting what she needed, she decided to look in the clothes section since I'd told her about some cute St. Patrick's Day tees I found there that were just $5.    Well after she got home and was telling me about this, she said "it must be a widespread thought that the only girls who deserve anything cute for St. Patrick's Day are the little, petite things like you."  

Then she says, to make matters worse, she was wearing yoga pants, loose shirt, crocs and her coat (pouring rain & freezing outside) and no makeup, and when she told the woman who was trying to help her what style she goes for (hippie/boho), the woman looked her up and down, kind of laughed, and told her "Maybe you should go on one of those makeover shows."  :o >:(

I did find a St. Pat's shirt for her at Target this year and gave it to her as an early bday present (which is 4 days after St. Pats) but I can't blame her for not caring for their clothing department at all and wanting to avoid anyone who thinks insulting a customer is going to help sales.    Friend did tell the girl in response to the snipe, "Pardon me?  Maybe I would like to make over the fashion industry for making such unflattering styles that don't fit or look nice on a rude boned, rude tempered girl!"  

The salesgirl backpedaled saying "Oh but you have beautiful eyes!!"  ::)   It's a good thing I wasn't there that day because even though I'm not as outspoken as my best friend is,  I would have been REALLY tempted to tell this &%#@ off for insulting my best friend like that. 

I read this, but I got so giddy when I saw Cedar Rapids that I missed the rest.  ::) ;D My husband is from CR and I am from IC; we might even know your friend! lol I know that can happen a lot on here, but not usually when you're talking about Iowa!

Elfqueen13

• Adventures in House Hunting!
« Reply #92 on: September 17, 2010, 10:00:22 AM »
I've got a couple.  There's a local tire chain here that I won't go to.  First it was the brakes.  My husband took in his Jeep for brake work and was told he basically needed the whole braking system replaced.  Well, it was a 10-year-old vehicle and the brakes had been iffy for a while so, ok, new brakes.  A week later the brakes locked up on the highway and the Jeep went back to the shop on a flat-bed tow truck.  We were told that the brake lines had dry-rotted.  Wait, didn't they check those a week before when they replaced the pads and everything?  Oh no, they hadn't checked those.  They replaced them for the cost of parts but would not reimburse the tow expense. Since we had paid extra for the warranty on the brakes we decided we'd just use a different location in the chain from now on and that was it.

Until my husband went to work for the cable company.  He did an install at the home of the tire chain owner.  He didn't have something that was needed so a different tech went out a couple days later to finish up.  The chain owner's wife called the cable company furious!  Why did they send this [black person] to her home? Where was the white guy that was there earlier in the week? She wanted the white guy back, right now! We don't go to that chain anymore and neither do a lot of other people, as we are not quiet about sharing this story.

There are also a couple of nail salons I won't go to. There was a big fuss in the news a few years ago about nail salons and cleanliness.  The place I go now has an autoclave for metal items and a box with my name on it for my files. One customer = one set of nail files. I won't go anywhere that doesn't offer that option.
Follow along on my house hunt!  http://ulfrslady.livejournal.com/

Goodnight Kiwi

• Formerly Lucylou
« Reply #93 on: September 17, 2010, 10:04:08 AM »
I told the abridged version of this story as part of my Wedding Day thread, but after DF proposed we went down to Hatton Garden (London's "diamond district") to look at engagement rings.  We were wandering around and were invited in by a saleswoman at one of the dealers (Saleswoman #1).  She, and the ringmaker there (Ringmaker) sat us down, talked about our budget and ideas, and Ringmaker said to us, "Great.  For [basic design that we were after], in rose gold, I can do a diamond of [c] colour, [d] clarity and [e] cut.  I will also, as part of the price, do a silver "mock-up" version of the ring that you can come in and try on, and we can make little amendments to it while you are here, so you can have the perfect ring.  All this will be for [Good Price]."  He said all this over and over, and even wrote it down for us - the quality of diamond, a drawing of the basic ring, and the price "all inclusive".

We went away, thought about it, had a look at other rings and saw that he was giving us a good diamond for a *really good* price.  So I rang up to make an appointment to discuss our ring in more detail, so Ringmaker could make the silver mock-up.  We went back about a week later (the store was only open from 10am-5pm on weekdays, which didn't fit in around our work at all, so we were limited to weekends or leaving work to get there while they were open) and finalised our plans for the ring.  Ringmaker kept going on and on (to the point that I mentioned to DF afterwards that he kept repeating himself) about the quality of the diamond, and the fact that he would make us a silver mock-up model.  We showed him the piece of paper we'd worked off with him last time, with the price he'd quoted written on it, but he didn't say much about that...(should have heard alarm bells here).

So we made an appointment right then and there for the next week to try on the silver "mock-up", for which we'd actually have to leave work.  Ringmaker asked whether we had a tight time frame to get the ring, and we told him that, while we were having an engagement party in three weeks (for which it would be *nice* to have the ring), it was more important to us to get it right.  

Day of the appointment, we showed up.  No Ringmaker.  Just Salewoman #1 and another saleswoman (Saleswoman #2).   Saleswoman #1 apologised that Ringmaker wasn't there yet, offered me coffee, went to put the kettle on, then came back and forgot about it.  Both saleswomen were also panicking because one of them needed to leave the store to get diamonds for another customer (who wasn't there), and their insurance didn't cover the store if only one of them were present.  So they ignored me for most of the time as they called the owner to see if he was OK with one of them leaving.  

When DF got there, the saleswomen looked at us blankly, then called Ringmaker.  He was "in his car", but they weren't sure where.  We decided to wait for a bit.  Saleswoman #2 asked what we were after.  We spoke about it, mentioning the price.  She looked confused and said, "For a diamond of that quality?  I think it's a lot more than that."  She did the calculations, and for a *lesser quality* diamond that what Ringmaker had originally quoted us, it was going to cost 1,000 more than his quote.

We were understandably confused, and asked whether maybe one of them could at least go and get the silver model for us to try on - which, of course, was the whole point of our appointment.  They couldn't find it, so rang Ringmaker again.  He "hadn't been able" to make a silver model of our design.  Um, perhaps a call to tell us that ahead of our appointment would have been nice, considering we were both leaving work for it?   But - never fear! - Ringmaker told Saleswoman #2 that he could "definitely have it done by the date [we] *need* it by" (presumably our engagement party).  Both saleswomen seemed really pleased about this fact, how great that we could have it by the date we *needed* it by.  We told Saleswoman #2 that, well, while we had told Ringmaker it would be *nice* to have the ring by that date, it was not a "need", and we'd rather have a silver model to try on first - that was why we were there.  

We finally left, after asking the saleswomen to get Ringmaker to call us back that afternoon so we could work out what was going on.  They took down both our numbers again, even though they already had them.  We have never heard from Ringmaker again.

In the end, we went back to Hatton Garden (I was a bit put off for a few weeks after this episode - isn't engagement ring shopping meant to be fun?), to a place where a friend had got her ring.  They were lovely.  They were helpful.  We've bought our engagement ring from there (and I just picked it up 2 days ago - I LOVE it) and will in all probability go back to get our wedding rings there.  Plus, I'll recommend them to anyone (Raphael in Hatton Gardens, for all you London EHellions in need of a ring!), whereas the other place gets bad-mouthed.

Edited to fix formatting.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2010, 10:06:36 AM by Lucylou »

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #94 on: September 17, 2010, 10:20:11 AM »
1.  The dermatologist who tried to kill me.  I had a mole that I *knew* wasn't right.  I wanted it biopsied and taken off.  Dermo refused to do the biopsy; it was nothing to worry about.  He treated me like I was about 5.  So I went back to my GP for another referral.  He biopsied; it was melanoma.

2.  Sears.  Their ridiculous credit card policies.  For years, they wouldn't take any CC but their own.  When they finally started taking other CCs, I started shopping there again.  I had a gift certificate but my purchase was more than it was worth.  I wanted to put the remainder on my CC.  Nope.  I either had to pay cash or open up their CC.  Have never gone back.

3.  Local garden centre.  A few instances of poor customer service over a couple of years, culminating in a very bad experience when another CSR butted into the conversation, having no idea what my issue was.  Used my $20 GC that day to almost the exact penny and never went back.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

oogyda

« Reply #95 on: September 17, 2010, 10:24:24 AM »
Oogydad and I purchased a new camper.  The interest rate quoted from "their" lender was acceptable, so we applied, were accepted and went in to sign the paperwork.  

Amongst that paperwork was a document stating that we would not take the camper out of the country.  The two things wrong with that were:
1) we lived a stone's throw away from the Canadian border and had thought we might go camping there.
2) being active duty military, there was a possibility of a transfer to a different country.  

When we objected, it was explained that they want this document from all military people precisely because of the possibility of transfer.   ???

We refused that loan, got another from our credit union and picked up the camper by the end of business the same day.  

I WILL NOT use that bank.  I even encouraged my parens to leave that bank.
It's not what we gather along the way that matters.  It's what we scatter.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #96 on: September 17, 2010, 10:30:11 AM »
Forgot one...

4.  Drove into a car dealership in my small sedan with TWO kayaks strapped to the roof racks.  I was greeted at the door by the salesman.  Once we sat down and I indicated I was interested in a small truck and wanted to price it out, he said, 'What's a girl like you want a truck for?'  I wish I'd either spoken to the manager or walked out on the spot.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #97 on: September 17, 2010, 10:31:42 AM »
Best Buy - Pretty much the same experiences as other females - being ignored, talked down to, not being able to buy anything because no one will give me the time of day. I wonder why this is a universal problem at Best Buy when it is not a universal problem in all electronic stores? Other stores seemed to have picked up on the fact that you don't need dangly bits to want to buy an xbox or computer!

Girly doctor - I wanted to get on BC after my surgery. Due to my "new anatomy" I could not take the pill as it wouldnt work for me. Doc suggested an IUD (interuterin device - sp?). He really sold it and I said I was interested and what was the process. He explained that I would (1) have to be put under and (2) have to be dialated. Also, he mentioned kind of off-handedly that because I was so sensitive... in there (I can feel every little thing)... that it was a good possibility that I would always be able to feel it and would possibly experience pain from it. Finally, the one he wanted me to get was non-hormonal. I wanted the hormones because of some other problems that the hormones help with. So, I told him I'd like to explore another option. He refused to discuss any other options with me. Literally refused. I have another appointment with a new Girly Doctor in a couple weeks to try and get something.

California Pizza - friend and I went for dinner, ordered a mozzerella and fresh tomato pizza (roma tomatoes?). Could see our waiter hanging out at the bar, chatting with friends. He finally came out with the pizza... which had no tomatoes on it. We waved him down (after 5 mins) and asked about the tomatoes. He said, "We don't have any." and walked off. We just kind of sat there because we wanted to ask for a different pizza, but he never came back and we were hungry so we ate our mozzerella pizza. I love mozzerella, but it wasn't the flavor we wanted. We finally saw our waiter again (no refills on drinks, been sitting there forever) and he was serving a salad to the people next to us - with tomatoes on it...

We asked for our bill and the manager, was told the manager was unavailable. We told them we didnt want to be charged for the specialty pizza that was lacking in "special" and that he should have told us that tomatoes were unavailable when we ordered. He told us we "should have known" and that he couldn't give us a discount and, of course, the manager was unavailable (in a restaurant??). We were so disgusted we paid, but left no tip.

Car place - took my little old neon in for an inspection. Was told I had a "major fuel leak" and needed to have the tank repaired to the tune of $1000. I was really doubtful because when fuel leaks in a major way, doesn't is usually leave, you know, fuel somewhere? I was at college at the time so I rarely drove, and yet had seen no dark or wet spots under my car. So, I refused, took it to another place immediately, told them to please check the fuel tank and get me an estimate on the repair. They looked at it, came back really confused and said that there was nothing wrong with my fuel tank and that they'd checked andeverything else out and it was fine. The only thing the would recommend was to change a little rubber piece that was drying out and could eventually crack - to the tune of $25. So, that's what I did and I didn't have any problems with my fuel tank.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #98 on: September 17, 2010, 10:35:15 AM »
What is the rule of thumb if the photographer is dead? 

My aunt went into a Target to make a copy of her brother's graduation portrait for a scrapbook for my grandparents' anniversary.  Said brother died before he graduated HS (in 1978) and the photographer died sometime in the thirty years between the photo date and the anniversary.  The Target clerk told her that she couldn't make the copy of the photograph without the release and my aunt read her the riot act.  (*insert cringe here*) I think she ended up going to another store that either didn't check or care that there was a photographer's imprint at the bottom of the pic. 

Just curious if there is a "statute of limitations" as I have several professional photos of family that are probably in the same boat as well...

I worked for a photo lab chain for a dozen years. We had people come in all the time to copy photos for obits/funerals. We would tell them to get a release from the studio. If they didn't have a release, we'd turn them away. We'd feel bad about it, but that's the law. If they were nice to us while we told them this, we'd mention that the chain studio down the hall in the mall would give a release for anything, even if they didn't do the original photos. We needed a release so we wouldn't get sued. We wouldn't check to see if the release was from the actual photographer...

It depends on what country you're in.  In the US copyright remains for 70 years after the death of the creator.  The copyrights are part of the estate and so belong to your photographer's heirs-and-assigns.  Note please that this is not legal advice -- consult an IP attorney to get the answer in your specific case.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Rosey

• Super Hero!
« Reply #99 on: September 17, 2010, 10:47:11 AM »
I will never use Walmart pharmacies again.

My legs were crushed in a car accident about ten years ago. I've had many, many surgeries, and in tights my legs look almost normal now (lots of scars). However, there are still many problems and many surgeries to go, so I take quite a bit of pain medicine. My doctor wanted me to try a slow-release pill that I'd never heard of, so I went to fill my prescription. The pharmacist took one look, told me it had been recalled, and I would never be able to get it. I called my doctor back, and he said that was not the case. I called the manufacturer, and they said the pill had never been recalled but another pill they made had.

Back to the pharmacy I go. However, this took about two weeks, so my doctor had me using my breakthrough meds as a regular med. As a result, I had to get a refill on my breakthrough medicine about two weeks early. I am very careful about pain medicine, so I was in constant communication with my doctor about this (plus the law requires you to pick up the script in person). At the pharmacy, I tried to explain what happened. First I tried to explain to the assistant that they had wrongfully informed me that a pill had been recalled. He contradicted me! On the spot he insisted that they didn't tell me that. I was so shocked that I called him on that but moved on with much less fuss than I wish I had made. He said the pharmacist would have to help me and walked off.

When the pharmacist came over, I mentioned the name of the slow-release again, and he immediately went off on this rant about how it's been recalled! I pulled out the bottle I had from filling it at another pharmacy. Then he said they must have re-released it, and I explained to him that I called my doctor and the manufacturer and checked online, and there's no sign of it having ever been released. I had to go through all this because he wouldn't fill my refill until he talked to me about what I was already taking - which apparently included convincing me that the medicine I had *in hand* was no longer available.  ::)

After thirty minutes of talking to them, I just kept asking them to call my doctor. I get all of my prescriptions from one doctor, and with the exception of the slow-release, which the Walmart pharmacy didn't have, I fill all of my meds at the same pharmacy. My doctor knows all of this, so all I needed was for the pharmacist to talk to the doctor - and maybe the doctor could explain that the recall never happened! They wouldn't do it. Two hours after I showed up, they filled the prescription and I left. I tried to leave sooner and say that I would pick it up the next day, but they kept telling me it would be "ten minutes" and they'd be ready.

I will never go to them again.  >:( I admit, I kind of want to go back one last time in order to tell the rude assistant that I refuse to be helped by him.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #100 on: September 17, 2010, 11:04:45 AM »
Car place - took my little old neon in for an inspection. Was told I had a "major fuel leak" and needed to have the tank repaired to the tune of $1000. I was really doubtful because when fuel leaks in a major way, doesn't is usually leave, you know, fuel somewhere? I was at college at the time so I rarely drove, and yet had seen no dark or wet spots under my car. So, I refused, took it to another place immediately, told them to please check the fuel tank and get me an estimate on the repair. They looked at it, came back really confused and said that there was nothing wrong with my fuel tank and that they'd checked andeverything else out and it was fine. The only thing the would recommend was to change a little rubber piece that was drying out and could eventually crack - to the tune of $25. So, that's what I did and I didn't have any problems with my fuel tank.

Does the car place start with a "M?"

My sibling and I were young and didn't know much about cars.  When it started making a squealing noise, we went to "M" and after looking at it, told it all these things need to be repaired and the cost was over $500.00.  We didn't have that kind of money and took the car across the street to see if they have a better price.  The 2nd place simply changed the break pads.

We've since learned this is common practice for this place.

Peggy Gus

« Reply #101 on: September 17, 2010, 11:19:26 AM »
I needed new tires once and I had my husband call and see what the price was for 4 tires. I get to the store and they tried to charge me $30 more per tire. I asked them why when my husband called they were so much cheaper, the guy started stuttering and saying he must have looked up the wrong number, he'd check again. Yeah right, they were trying to screw me over.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #102 on: September 17, 2010, 11:28:48 AM »
I live in a very small town.  A very small town with 4 pharmacies!!  Two of them are located inside grocery stores, and we also have a Bartells and a Rite Aid.

What my little town does not have is a plethora of decent restaurants.  Everyone I know always complains about the lack of good dining.  We have the usual fast food places, but, you know. Yuck.  We desperately need some good family dining establishments, with good selections, good food, and fair prices.

So when a huge corner lot became vacant in the shopping district, we were all collectively crossing our fingers that some forward thinking developer would build a restaurant.  Even a decent chain restaurant would have been welcomed with open arms.

What ended up being built on this prime spot?  A Walgreens.

I vowed to never shop there and to this day, I never have.

PeasNCues

• Mind your PeasNCues!
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #103 on: September 17, 2010, 11:38:14 AM »

Does the car place start with a "M?"

My sibling and I were young and didn't know much about cars.  When it started making a squealing noise, we went to "M" and after looking at it, told it all these things need to be repaired and the cost was over $500.00.  We didn't have that kind of money and took the car across the street to see if they have a better price.  The 2nd place simply changed the break pads.

We've since learned this is common practice for this place.

Yeah I was really angry about it. Made me really paranoid about my car and any repairs people said I needed.
'I shall sit here quietly by the fire for a bit, and perhaps go out later for a sniff of air.  Mind your Ps and Qs, and don't forget that you are supposed to be escaping in secret, and are still on the high-road and not very far from the Shire!' -FOTR

http://inanitiesofanidlemind.blogspot.com/

Marisol

• with a parasol.
« Reply #104 on: September 17, 2010, 11:59:08 AM »
Apple   Bees.  

I have had many bad experiences in this chain restaurant.  I also know dozens of people who have had their own bad experiences.  And the food is not even that good.  It is mediocre at best.

Oh, Applebees. Two visits, two lousy experiences, two thousand miles apart:

There is something wrong with that place.  My bad experiences have also been states apart and I constantly run into people who tell me they will go anywhere but Applebees if I ask where they want to go for dinner.  It seems to be a universal problem with them.  I really can't think of a single good experience I have ever had at Applebees (although I guess there was one okay visit).