Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270893 times)

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #1350 on: July 19, 2011, 05:24:11 PM »
I've been into VS as a larger size (I've lost weight) and they treated me well, though I didn't find any bras that properly supported the girls (or any bras that kept the girls modest, either). :P

Total POD. Maybe it's because most people in my town are nice, but I have never had a VS employee get snarky or mean. I'm so sorry you all had such horrible experiences though.  :-\
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

mabelle

« Reply #1351 on: July 19, 2011, 05:56:02 PM »
I don't know how the people at TJ's do it, but every time I leave their store, I feel like I'm in a better mood because I had a great five-minute conversation with someone cool.

Same with Central Market.  I always leave there smiling.

I would likely be as well - with an awesome recipe in hand - if it weren't for the bank balance implications! I just cannot not spend $200 (when my usual grocery trip is $80/week)!

I was at the superWallyWorld last weekend; as I walked in I noticed an entire cart of grocery items by the front registers closest to my entrance/exit doors. I sometimes leave my cart and venture to the restroom that is nearby, so I thought that must be the case with this cart.

I shopped for a LONG time - first personal items, then crafts, three phone calls to DH about the specific car-battery he needed, and then onto grocery items (didn't want them to get warm as I shopped for other things). Based on the phone calls' times I was in the store more than an hour.

As I was choosing a roast, an employee came up to the meat section, pushing THAT cart that had been upfront (it had milk and eggs sitting in the seat-portion). He proceeded to re-stock the roast from that cart into the section from which I was choosing my meat. I picked it up and said, "this is not even cool anymore - it's been sitting up front since I entered the store at 10AM. I don't think this is safe." He returned that it was fine, they do it all the time and walked by to the bacon/hot dogs/etc to reshelve some stuff there.

I went to customer service and asked if they didn't have a policy about reshelving items that were to be refrigerated and was talked to like I was loonytunes.

"Why would it matter - it's cold in the store?" said the customer service person.
Me: "But how long does something sitting out at room temperature keep? Bacteria could grow."
Clerk: "it wasn't there that long" 
Me: "Huh, really? I saw it at 10, it's now 1130."
Clerk: "Food doesn't spoil sitting out in just an hour. and it wasn't the same cart."
Me: "There were two such carts today? Please feel free to restock my basket, because I really don't want to buy milk, eggs, meat or any other spoilable item here"

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #1352 on: July 19, 2011, 06:31:01 PM »

I was at the superWallyWorld last weekend; as I walked in I noticed an entire cart of grocery items by the front registers closest to my entrance/exit doors. I sometimes leave my cart and venture to the restroom that is nearby, so I thought that must be the case with this cart.

I shopped for a LONG time - first personal items, then crafts, three phone calls to DH about the specific car-battery he needed, and then onto grocery items (didn't want them to get warm as I shopped for other things). Based on the phone calls' times I was in the store more than an hour.

As I was choosing a roast, an employee came up to the meat section, pushing THAT cart that had been upfront (it had milk and eggs sitting in the seat-portion). He proceeded to re-stock the roast from that cart into the section from which I was choosing my meat. I picked it up and said, "this is not even cool anymore - it's been sitting up front since I entered the store at 10AM. I don't think this is safe." He returned that it was fine, they do it all the time and walked by to the bacon/hot dogs/etc to reshelve some stuff there.

I went to customer service and asked if they didn't have a policy about reshelving items that were to be refrigerated and was talked to like I was loonytunes.

"Why would it matter - it's cold in the store?" said the customer service person.
Me: "But how long does something sitting out at room temperature keep? Bacteria could grow."
Clerk: "Food doesn't spoil sitting out in just an hour. and it wasn't the same cart."
Me: "There were two such carts today? Please feel free to restock my basket, because I really don't want to buy milk, eggs, meat or any other spoilable item here"

Gross, but that wouldn't fly at my Wal-Mart. A cart full of perishables would never have been left sitting; cashiers are trained to immediately call for someone from grocery/deli/wherever to come get perishables if they get left up front. If no one was available a manager would do it, and if a manager didn't get to it in time it would get written off and tossed. I don't blame you for not wanting to buy anything from there, although the eggs would most likely have been fine--most grocery store eggs are close to a month old by the time you get them, and eggs can be kept at room temperature for quite a while, as in days, before they go bad.

kitty-cat

« Reply #1353 on: July 19, 2011, 09:25:44 PM »
Mabelle- shop at Target to avoid that. They throw out anything that gets left. Even if its still ice cold. (which, lemmie tell ya, I hated seeing when I worked there because I was broke at the time)

NE Florida

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #1354 on: July 19, 2011, 09:57:14 PM »
Mabelle please call the health department and file a complaint.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

magician5

« Reply #1355 on: July 19, 2011, 10:15:43 PM »
I would likely be as well - with an awesome recipe in hand - if it weren't for the bank balance implications! I just cannot not spend $200 (when my usual grocery trip is $80/week)!

IMO the milk might be "iffy" but the meat and eggs would be fine. It's not like they were sitting outside unwrapped in the summer sun.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Garden Goblin

« Reply #1356 on: July 19, 2011, 11:52:46 PM »
IMO the milk might be "iffy" but the meat and eggs would be fine. It's not like they were sitting outside unwrapped in the summer sun.

If it's below 80, eggs are fine if they are let sit out for a week or so.  When it gets to be 100 out the eggs sweet a bit which can allow bacteria in, and of course, if they are fertile, you start to risk them hatching if you leave them sit for 3 weeks or more.

mabelle

« Reply #1357 on: July 20, 2011, 10:33:58 AM »
Gross, but that wouldn't fly at my Wal-Mart. A cart full of perishables would never have been left sitting; cashiers are trained to immediately call for someone from grocery/deli/wherever to come get perishables if they get left up front. If no one was available a manager would do it, and if a manager didn't get to it in time it would get written off and tossed. I don't blame you for not wanting to buy anything from there, although the eggs would most likely have been fine--most grocery store eggs are close to a month old by the time you get them, and eggs can be kept at room temperature for quite a while, as in days, before they go bad.

I totally understand that this was LIKELY just that wallyworld's issue. Eggs - we get from my MIL's chickens, and she regularly leaves them on the counter for days prior to refrigerating them and we've never gotten sick.

to others...the meat on the other hand...I have bought chicken there that was well-in-advance of its sell-by date that has gone bad within 3 days of being home stored in my colder-than-normal frig - and when still in advance of its sell by date. So now I think I know why.  :-X :| Food safety rules state that raw meat should not be left out at room temperature for this amount of time (in excess of an hour) and that by two hours, the food would be potentially unsafe even after being cooked!

I didn't call the health department, because my backdoor neighbor works there. ;) So I had a convo with him about the 'rules' (he's the one that told me about the 2 hour rule) and he said he'd put a bug in the appropriate person's ear.

« Last Edit: July 20, 2011, 10:36:21 AM by mabelle »

nutraxfornerves

« Reply #1358 on: July 20, 2011, 11:24:34 AM »
I've researched eggs & refrigeration before for another message board.

The issue with unrefrigerated eggs is not so much food safety as quality. Eggs age must faster in warmer temperature. As an egg gets older, moisture evaporates from the white and is replaced by air. That's why the air pocket in an egg gets bigger the longer you store it. The white gets runnier & the membrane on the yolk gets thinner & more likely to break.

Studies show that eggs can lose as much quality in one day at room temperature as in 4 to 5 days in the refrigerator. In other words, the eggs that have been sitting in your fridge for a month are about the same quality as an egg that's been at room temperature for a week.

Nutrax
The plural of anecdote is not data

Carnation

• Super Hero!
« Reply #1359 on: July 20, 2011, 11:29:14 AM »
I don't know how the people at TJ's do it, but every time I leave their store, I feel like I'm in a better mood because I had a great five-minute conversation with someone cool.

Same with Central Market.  I always leave there smiling.

I should shop there.   Whenever I go shopping, leaving my cart unattended for more than five minutes will cause it to be whisked off by overzealous employees (as recently as last week!).   

Reuth

« Reply #1360 on: July 20, 2011, 11:37:41 AM »
Eggs - we get from my MIL's chickens, and she regularly leaves them on the counter for days prior to refrigerating them and we've never gotten sick.

I was told that it's fine to leave the eggs at room temperature, as long as they haven't ever been refrigerated or washed.

mabelle

« Reply #1361 on: July 20, 2011, 04:07:07 PM »
(snip quote stream)

I should shop there.   Whenever I go shopping, leaving my cart unattended for more than five minutes will cause it to be whisked off by overzealous employees (as recently as last week!).

If I do need to use the restroom at target or the grocery, I always ask an employee "May I leave this here for a moment, I'm just running into the restroom?" for that reason - I've lost full carts at both stores, too.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #1362 on: July 20, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »

I stopped buying meat at WM years ago when I was having physical therapy alongside another patient who said that while working at the WM distribution center (which is where she was injured and injury sent her to PT) they were instructed if the individual chicken packages fell on the floor to just throw them back in to whatever box or bin they fell from. She said she would never buy meat at WM after what she has seen working at the distribution center, so I quit buying meat at WM as well.

hot_shaker

• Super Hero!
  • Friendly EHell Crank
« Reply #1363 on: July 20, 2011, 05:39:29 PM »

I stopped buying meat at WM years ago when I was having physical therapy alongside another patient who said that while working at the WM distribution center (which is where she was injured and injury sent her to PT) they were instructed if the individual chicken packages fell on the floor to just throw them back in to whatever box or bin they fell from. She said she would never buy meat at WM after what she has seen working at the distribution center, so I quit buying meat at WM as well.

Is the chicken not in plastic or something?  Did the chicken itself actually touch the floor?  Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem is.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trust me, I'm a scientist.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Raised on the East Coast,
living in the Mid-West.

NotTheNarcissist

« Reply #1364 on: July 20, 2011, 05:42:58 PM »

Is the chicken not in plastic or something?  Did the chicken itself actually touch the floor?  Otherwise, I'm not sure what the problem is.

The way she explained it to me, the chicken did not physically touch the floor, just the package the chicken was in.

I guess the way I feel is that the plastic is so thin, that even the thought of it touching the floor was enough to turn me off of buying WM chicken, although I extended it to all meat, since she (having first-hand knowledge) herself would not purchase meat at WM.