News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 21, 2017, 11:53:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2626400 times)

StarFaerie

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #2115 on: March 12, 2012, 05:15:39 AM »
This morning we went to a cafe in a small town for Breakfast. It is the public holiday Monday after one of the biggest annual festivals in the town. So very busy in the town. There were 7 in our group.

We were seated. The cafe got busier and the one waitress was clearly overwhelmed. The owner just appeared to stand around telling the waitress what she should be doing. Please note, the cafe was still not full and newcomers were being seated. One of their off duty waitresses was there with her kids and she jumped in to help, so 25 minutes after we were seated we finally got to order just as we were discussing going elsewhere. We ordered food and drinks and then waited.

After another 15 minutes one of us went get a bottle of water from behind the counter (usually they would bring it).  25 minutes after that our food arrived, or at least most of it did, one guy's muesli was missing. The waitress mentioned that it was on its way. A few minutes later she brought the drinks (2 of then were wrong but by this stage we had stopped caring). Again she mentioned the muesli.

Well, the muesli never turned up. But by the time we realised that it wasn't coming, the rest of us had.finished our meals, so we gave up and went to pay. Up until now we were a bit upset but, these things happen, bad day and all, until.........

The  owner then came up to us to say that we should have rung ahead. How could we expect her to accommodate a large party like us (all 7 of us and one only having coffee) with no notice? We should have known better. Next time she needs a hour notice.

So that was it, we were done. We paid the stand in waitress (who whispered that she was comping the drinks for our troubles) and left swearing never to return. We went to a nearby pie shop so that poor muesli guy didn't starve.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #2116 on: March 12, 2012, 07:26:09 AM »
This morning we went to a cafe in a small town for Breakfast. It is the public holiday Monday after one of the biggest annual festivals in the town. So very busy in the town. There were 7 in our group.

We were seated. The cafe got busier and the one waitress was clearly overwhelmed. The owner just appeared to stand around telling the waitress what she should be doing. Please note, the cafe was still not full and newcomers were being seated. One of their off duty waitresses was there with her kids and she jumped in to help, so 25 minutes after we were seated we finally got to order just as we were discussing going elsewhere. We ordered food and drinks and then waited.

After another 15 minutes one of us went get a bottle of water from behind the counter (usually they would bring it).  25 minutes after that our food arrived, or at least most of it did, one guy's muesli was missing. The waitress mentioned that it was on its way. A few minutes later she brought the drinks (2 of then were wrong but by this stage we had stopped caring). Again she mentioned the muesli.

Well, the muesli never turned up. But by the time we realised that it wasn't coming, the rest of us had.finished our meals, so we gave up and went to pay. Up until now we were a bit upset but, these things happen, bad day and all, until.........

The  owner then came up to us to say that we should have rung ahead. How could we expect her to accommodate a large party like us (all 7 of us and one only having coffee) with no notice? We should have known better. Next time she needs a hour notice.

So that was it, we were done. We paid the stand in waitress (who whispered that she was comping the drinks for our troubles) and left swearing never to return. We went to a nearby pie shop so that poor muesli guy didn't starve.

If you hadn't said a cafe, I would have thought you were at the winery at which I used to work.

The owner was the most crotchety old woman.  I once watched her watch ask the group of four to whom I had given 2 paper plates for cheese, go up, ask them how many were in their group (I guess confirming no more were coming), then take a plate back and say, "Then you only need one!"  It was a paper plate for crying out loud!  I'm pretty sure she lost herself four customers that day...I have a few other horror stories, some firsthand others secondhand. 

Barney girl

« Reply #2117 on: March 12, 2012, 06:25:56 PM »
My mother and I went for a walk yesterday and finished at a pub for lunch. We got there about 1.40 and were told they had a large group in so there would be a delay in taking our order. It must have taken fifteen minutes before the order was taken and we both chose something we thought would be fairly quick ( sausage and mash). After half an hour I chased it up and was told again about their large group and that everything was made fresh. Where they hid that group I don't know. There were a number of people there,but the place wasn't packed and there was no one in the dining room. We were served finally at 2.45 and would have left if it hadn't been a long drive home. To be fair it was beautifully done with several types of vegetable, but even if they had been peeling and boiling the potatoes and preparing the veg from freh when we ordered I could have d one it far faster.
There was no apology given, so I won't be going back, which is shame as otherwise it was a nice cosy pub in lovely countryside

Shea

« Reply #2118 on: March 12, 2012, 08:23:45 PM »
I'd like to say "I'll never shop THERE again!" about the grocery store up the street from me, but in truth I'll continue going there because the deals on produce are so good. But the service is so bad...indifferent at best and surly at worst. Half the time the cashiers don't even bother to greet you, and if you greet them they mostly ignore you. Yesterday I noticed that canned tuna was on sale, so I grabbed a couple of cans. At the register, it rung up at the normal price. I mentioned to the cashier that it was on sale, but she didn't believe me and refused to go check. So I didn't get any tuna :(.

And yes, I'm absolutely sure it was on sale. There was a huge sign by the cans, and I checked to make sure that I was getting the right brand.

If a little knowledge is a dangerous thing, librarians are a global threat.

dawbs

« Reply #2119 on: March 12, 2012, 08:34:57 PM »
I'd like to say "I'll never shop THERE again!" about the grocery store up the street from me, but in truth I'll continue going there because the deals on produce are so good. But the service is so bad...indifferent at best and surly at worst. Half the time the cashiers don't even bother to greet you, and if you greet them they mostly ignore you. Yesterday I noticed that canned tuna was on sale, so I grabbed a couple of cans. At the register, it rung up at the normal price. I mentioned to the cashier that it was on sale, but she didn't believe me and refused to go check. So I didn't get any tuna :(.

And yes, I'm absolutely sure it was on sale. There was a huge sign by the cans, and I checked to make sure that I was getting the right brand.
Not that it helps at the moment, but this is a place where cell phones w/ cameras come in handy.
Heck, if you go through my pictures at the moment, the first one you'll find is a picture of the sale-shelf-tag for cat treats, because I KNEW it wouldn't ring up right and print my coupon--it never does.

MissRose

« Reply #2120 on: April 07, 2012, 01:36:35 PM »
Let me tell you about today's rather frustrating trip to the office cafeteria. 

For a little background, I am Catholic and typing this on a Lenten Friday.  That means as part of my religion I abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent.  (This is hard for me - I love meat.)  Additionally, I work in a building that is religious.  All the people in the office work for the Catholic church, so no meat on Fridays during Lent is pretty easy for the cafeteria.  Additionally, we are open to the public and have religious stuff on going, so the cafeteria makes a good survival off of the population here.  The next nearest food is a Dunkin Donuts about 1/2 a way.  The cafeteria's hours are 8 AM to 3 PM.

Today, I got tied up in a project.  At 2 PM, I run to the cafeteria.  I know what I'm going to have -- a grilled cheese.  It's easy, fast and portable.  Well, I arrive to find the primary cook replacing washed vents in the grill hood.  The grill, panini press, and steam trays were closed.  What did they offer me?  A turkey sandwich.  I was pretty upset and left.  I ran into my boss and said I was running to Panera (2 miles away) for a bowl of soup. 

What makes me more upset?  They are hosting a function tonight.  Yep, I couldn't have a grilled cheese from their menu during their hours, but they were still cooking for a formal dinner for our radio station.  I was only offered something that I couldn't eat.

They are never, ever getting another penny of my money.  I'm bringing in tea bags, granola bars and cans of soup for my desk and hopefully not forgetting my lunch ever again.   I'm actually still fuming!

I would've done the same thing as am I Catholic too.  Makes me glad my work place does not have an onsite cafeteria or canteen.  Although the vending machines leave little to be desired with few non meat options, and good thing I do not work Fridays at this time (but work Saturdays and Sundays).

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2121 on: April 08, 2012, 12:20:42 PM »
Let me tell you about today's rather frustrating trip to the office cafeteria. 

For a little background, I am Catholic and typing this on a Lenten Friday.  That means as part of my religion I abstain from meat on Fridays during Lent.  (This is hard for me - I love meat.)  Additionally, I work in a building that is religious.  All the people in the office work for the Catholic church, so no meat on Fridays during Lent is pretty easy for the cafeteria.  Additionally, we are open to the public and have religious stuff on going, so the cafeteria makes a good survival off of the population here.  The next nearest food is a Dunkin Donuts about 1/2 a way.  The cafeteria's hours are 8 AM to 3 PM.

Today, I got tied up in a project.  At 2 PM, I run to the cafeteria.  I know what I'm going to have -- a grilled cheese.  It's easy, fast and portable.  Well, I arrive to find the primary cook replacing washed vents in the grill hood.  The grill, panini press, and steam trays were closed.  What did they offer me?  A turkey sandwich.  I was pretty upset and left.  I ran into my boss and said I was running to Panera (2 miles away) for a bowl of soup. 

What makes me more upset?  They are hosting a function tonight.  Yep, I couldn't have a grilled cheese from their menu during their hours, but they were still cooking for a formal dinner for our radio station.  I was only offered something that I couldn't eat.

They are never, ever getting another penny of my money.  I'm bringing in tea bags, granola bars and cans of soup for my desk and hopefully not forgetting my lunch ever again.   I'm actually still fuming!

I would've done the same thing as am I Catholic too.  Makes me glad my work place does not have an onsite cafeteria or canteen.  Although the vending machines leave little to be desired with few non meat options, and good thing I do not work Fridays at this time (but work Saturdays and Sundays).

Uck, that's horrible!  >:(
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

padua

« Reply #2122 on: April 22, 2012, 02:50:03 PM »
i ordered some therapeutic materials for my work from an online business. the only options were: paypal, cheque, or cash on delivery. i only had access to the company credit card and petty cash, so chose COD.
i then waited for the delivery.
and waited...
and waited...
finally i contacted the website as my order was still 'pending.' the response? 'you chose the COD option, which we don't use. so you won't be receiving anything from us unless you choose another purchase option.'
uh... don't put it as an option on your website then, or at the least, send me an email letting me know why i won't be getting my order.

oz diva

• The Classics are SO last Century
« Reply #2123 on: April 23, 2012, 03:42:09 AM »
This happened to a colleague, M, not me.

Her daughter G, turns 24 on Wednesday. She ordered a moss green kaftan online. The store was local.

M went to pay the deposit on the kaftan on Wednesday, she had to leave work early to get there on time.

On Friday M & G went to pick up the item. They paid for it and the girl bought it out from the back. It's wrapped in paper, but a little bit is showing. G says "it's the wrong colour" sure enough the item is blue, not green. As soon as the salesgirl hears that she reels off their returns policy which is, in effect that there is no returns allowed for any reason. She says to M that she had told her on Wednesday there were no green ones available. Now, ya just don't get stroppy with a peri-menopausal mother. M told the salesgirl that she didn't have a legal leg to stand on. The item ordered was green and that this item is not green. Hell, they hadn't even taken it out of the packaging yet. G is understandably totally embarrassed and is saying that she quite likes the blue and wants to keep it.

Anyway, they keep the thing and go home.

M is seething and tells her friends about it. They say she should go to the shop's facebook page and share her story. So she does exactly that. The next thing she knows the store's owner is writing to G telling her that she will take M to court for defamation. Young G is scared, M has the bit between her teeth and knows that nothing of the sort will happen. At the end of her rant, the store owner says she will reimburse them the cost if they want to return the item. Which sort of undermines her position, doesn't it.

It's just such a great case study of poor customer service. The store owner obviously doesn't understand facebook pages and how powerful a tool (for better or worse) they can be.

Victoria

Mental Magpie

« Reply #2124 on: April 23, 2012, 04:57:23 AM »
I love false threats when I know better than the other person, I get this exact smile:  >:D.  I'm sure I look scary when I say, "Try me" with that look.  It just so happens that I know a lot more about law than the average Joe. 

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2125 on: April 23, 2012, 05:02:33 AM »
Just a quick heads up,b ut could we lay of the legal stuff?  I *really* like this thread.  :)

Mental Magpie

« Reply #2126 on: April 23, 2012, 05:10:27 AM »
Sorry, I didn't think that qualified as legal stuff.  My apologies.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2127 on: April 23, 2012, 07:09:48 AM »
Oh no, it's not there yet... just trying to head it off.  Sorry for being premature there... carry on, all!

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2128 on: April 23, 2012, 10:15:52 AM »
Best Buy.  At least the one near me.  I recently switched from cable to the "Can you hear me now" company for tv, phone, etc.  And now have HD tv so I decided to break my rule (no new tv until the old one dies) and bought a new one.  I looked online, and saw a couple at Costco that looked promising.  So I went there and looked, then thought let me go to BB and see what they have.  So I walk in, and despite the fact I encountered an employee about every 3 feet between the door and the tv dept (about halfway into the store) not one even said hello to me.

Working in retail, that is a huuuuuge pet peeve of mine.  I don't generally need a lot of help when I shop; i prefer to wander on my own, but if you can't even acknowledge my presence, I will leave, and I did.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #2129 on: April 23, 2012, 10:54:34 AM »
<snip>
So I walk in, and despite the fact I encountered an employee about every 3 feet between the door and the tv dept (about halfway into the store) not one even said hello to me.

Working in retail, that is a huuuuuge pet peeve of mine.  I don't generally need a lot of help when I shop; i prefer to wander on my own, but if you can't even acknowledge my presence, I will leave, and I did.

In Ireland, while we don't have employee's falling over themselves to greet us, you expect an acknowledgement of some kind and perhaps a "please let me know if I can assist you". But otherwise we're pretty content to walk in and browse and if we need anything catch their attention and ask. So for most Irish people going to the states, for example, it's actually a bit unnerving when you enter a store where you are greeted at every turn by an assistant.

On the flip side, I once walked out of a store because the shop assistant actually followed me around the store "straightening" any rack of clothes that I passed by or looked at. So I'd pull out a top, look at the price, size, detail etc then put it back in it's place. She'd immediately start fussing with the top I'd touched and the ones either side to make sure they were just right. I ended up glaring at her and walking out. Only that I was so shy I didn't say anything to her.

Still, to my
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards and crafts -
https://www.facebook.com/cardsandcraftsbycarol?ref=hl