News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• November 22, 2017, 06:27:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2628618 times)

EmmaJ.

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #2130 on: April 23, 2012, 11:38:47 AM »

<snip>

On the flip side, I once walked out of a store because the shop assistant actually followed me around the store "straightening" any rack of clothes that I passed by or looked at. So I'd pull out a top, look at the price, size, detail etc then put it back in it's place. She'd immediately start fussing with the top I'd touched and the ones either side to make sure they were just right. I ended up glaring at her and walking out. Only that I was so shy I didn't say anything to her.

Still, to my

I'm on pins and needles!   :D  What's the rest of the sentence? 

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2131 on: April 23, 2012, 12:53:38 PM »
<snip>
So I walk in, and despite the fact I encountered an employee about every 3 feet between the door and the tv dept (about halfway into the store) not one even said hello to me.

Working in retail, that is a huuuuuge pet peeve of mine.  I don't generally need a lot of help when I shop; i prefer to wander on my own, but if you can't even acknowledge my presence, I will leave, and I did.

In Ireland, while we don't have employee's falling over themselves to greet us, you expect an acknowledgement of some kind and perhaps a "please let me know if I can assist you". But otherwise we're pretty content to walk in and browse and if we need anything catch their attention and ask. So for most Irish people going to the states, for example, it's actually a bit unnerving when you enter a store where you are greeted at every turn by an assistant.

On the flip side, I once walked out of a store because the shop assistant actually followed me around the store "straightening" any rack of clothes that I passed by or looked at. So I'd pull out a top, look at the price, size, detail etc then put it back in it's place. She'd immediately start fussing with the top I'd touched and the ones either side to make sure they were just right. I ended up glaring at her and walking out. Only that I was so shy I didn't say anything to her.

Still, to my

Unfortunately, many employees are required to greet, and then hover over customers. I hate doing it, and will do only the bare minimum.  I know most people prefer to shop alone, so I make sure I at leaset greet them, ask if they need help, and if they say no, I back off, but let them know if they DO need anything, please let me know.  And that usually works.  But the no greeting isn't acceptable to me at all.  In my opinion, everyone who walks in shoudl be greeted.  A simple hello, how are you is fine.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2132 on: April 23, 2012, 01:19:35 PM »
Honestly, I prefer not to be greeted.  For me, an ideal shopping experience is me going in, getting the things I need, going to the register, paying, and leaving.  Now, I don't mind some chit-chat (especially the functional kind, such as "Did you find everything you needed?"), but I don't shop for conversation, I shop to buy things and move on with my day.  :)

Nika

« Reply #2133 on: April 23, 2012, 01:27:19 PM »
Honestly, I prefer not to be greeted.  For me, an ideal shopping experience is me going in, getting the things I need, going to the register, paying, and leaving.  Now, I don't mind some chit-chat (especially the functional kind, such as "Did you find everything you needed?"), but I don't shop for conversation, I shop to buy things and move on with my day.  :)

Yep, same here. I get intensely uncomfortable when I get greeted. I like knowing employees are nearby, so that if I have a question I don't have to search for someone, but I don't really want to have any interaction unless I instigate it. Guess I'm just anti social.  :P
"I am, in fact, a hobbit in all but size."

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #2134 on: April 23, 2012, 02:02:39 PM »

<snip>

Still, to my

I'm on pins and needles!   :D  What's the rest of the sentence? 

Oh dear! I'm having one of those days where I type out something and then delete and retype... and absentmindly hit post because I think I've finished. What was I going to say? It sounds like "still, to my credit I didn't..." nope, haven't a clue. Sorry  ;D

I have no issue with people greeting me nor offering to assist. But being followed around like I was messing up her precious stock or being constantly asked if I need help - well that just drives me bonkers. I prefer my shopping experience to be more like Nika & Traska's
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards and crafts -
https://www.facebook.com/cardsandcraftsbycarol?ref=hl

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #2135 on: April 23, 2012, 02:09:52 PM »

For me, it depends on the store and what I'm shopping for.  Home improvement or garden center?  Leave me to wander on my own.  Upscale clothes store?  I'm looking for help.  I've gone in, found the nearest sales person and told them what I needed and asked them to show me around.  I ended up buying a dress for a wedding that I never would have picked out if I'd been shopping on my own.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

violinp

• cabbagegirl28's my sister :)
« Reply #2136 on: April 23, 2012, 03:26:51 PM »

For me, it depends on the store and what I'm shopping for.  Home improvement or garden center?  Leave me to wander on my own.  Upscale clothes store?  I'm looking for help.  I've gone in, found the nearest sales person and told them what I needed and asked them to show me around.  I ended up buying a dress for a wedding that I never would have picked out if I'd been shopping on my own.

Exactly. And some people are really bad at finding things (yours truly), so it helps to have people like that.
"It takes a great deal of courage to stand up to your enemies, but even more to stand up to your friends" - Harry Potter

lady_disdain

• Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2137 on: April 23, 2012, 06:19:10 PM »
I am the exact opposite - leave me alone while I am browsing clothing!

GreenEyedHawk

• Not hot but SPICY
    • My Facebook.  Feel free to add me!
« Reply #2138 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:14 PM »
I am the exact opposite - leave me alone while I am browsing clothing!

When it comes to clothing...particularly nice clothing...I'm in dire need of assistance. 
"After all this time?"
"Always."

guihong

« Reply #2139 on: April 23, 2012, 08:11:39 PM »
I was just in Best Buy yesterday, and I found the salespeople were too cloying, too familiar somehow.  Hard to describe.  I don't really need every third person to ask me how my day is treating me. 

The worst part was when I asked a clerk who was young enough to be my son if they had any Perry Mason videos.  He looked at me and asked, "Is that a TV show?"  ::) :P

BB-VA

« Reply #2140 on: April 24, 2012, 07:54:06 AM »
I have no issue with people greeting me nor offering to assist. But being followed around like I was messing up her precious stock or being constantly asked if I need help - well that just drives me bonkers. I prefer my shopping experience to be more like Nika & Traska's

I would have guessed that it was a slow day, and she was bored, so was just wandering around straightening things up after you looked at them.  It had nothing to do with you and everything to do with the 'Must Keep Busy' mindset.

But I can see how you perceived it as annoying.  She could have waited until you'd gone before running around and doing that.

Not necessarily.  There was a local store where the owner all but followed you into the dressing room.  Granted, the store was not located in the best part of town.  But he was so paranoid about shoplifting/theft that he had trouble letting shoppers actually SHOP.

The building is now a restaurant. 
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #2141 on: April 24, 2012, 08:44:58 AM »

I would have guessed that it was a slow day, and she was bored, so was just wandering around straightening things up after you looked at them.  It had nothing to do with you and everything to do with the 'Must Keep Busy' mindset.

But I can see how you perceived it as annoying.  She could have waited until you'd gone before running around and doing that.

My first thought was someone fussy, who wanted all the merchandise displayed just so, so when IK started looking through things, it just sent her off the edge.  "It's a MILLIMETER out of position!  I must correct it, or the entire store will look like a riot just occurred!"  Like how some people are obsessive frame-straighteners.

siamesecat2965

« Reply #2142 on: April 24, 2012, 09:09:40 AM »

My first thought was someone fussy, who wanted all the merchandise displayed just so, so when IK started looking through things, it just sent her off the edge.  "It's a MILLIMETER out of position!  I must correct it, or the entire store will look like a riot just occurred!"  Like how some people are obsessive frame-straighteners.

And sometimes, and I speak from experience, esp if its not that busy, we still have to look busy, and like we have something to do.  Few or no customers doens't mean we can stand around; we have to make it look like we have plenty to do, or we'll hear about it.

Irishkitty

• Ce la vie
    • Cards and Crafts by Carol
« Reply #2143 on: April 24, 2012, 09:17:18 AM »

And sometimes, and I speak from experience, esp if its not that busy, we still have to look busy, and like we have something to do.  Few or no customers doens't mean we can stand around; we have to make it look like we have plenty to do, or we'll hear about it.

Oh yes, I briefly worked in a clothing store and even it everything was *perfect* we'd have to make ourselves look busy. However this was truely obnoxious behaviour, if we stopped she'd almost bump into us she was following so close. And your hand had barely left the item and she was fixing it. She was also glaring at us  ??? Really bizarre behaviour.
Ireland
Check out my handmade cards and crafts -
https://www.facebook.com/cardsandcraftsbycarol?ref=hl

rose red

« Reply #2144 on: April 24, 2012, 09:56:32 AM »
Went to a restaurant this weekend and ordered a dish that's suppose to come with certain toppings.  When it came, some main toppings were missing.  When asked, the waitress curtly said they ran out.  I felt she should have informed us when we ordered which gives us a chance to either say that's fine, or to order something else.  Her attitude also told us it would not be wise to send it back.  Therefore, we will not be back.