Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1213269 times)

Dazi

• like the flower
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #2685 on: August 01, 2012, 06:53:20 PM »
My mom has introduced the idea of going to a new salon in town. I endured about 8 years of people not knowing how to do my hair, until finally going to a high-end expensive salon where the stylists actually know what to do. I don't care how good "everyone" swears the new salon is, I am not thrilled with the prospect of "trying it out" with the negative effect that I'll end up with a head of frizz that is going to take three months to grow out if they do it wrong.

Do you have curly hair?  Inquire if anyone in the new salon specializes in curly hair, or if anyone is specifically good at cutting it.  Then, when you get the stylist, ask her how she plans to cut it.  If she says "short layers" say "no" and don't let her cut it.  That is a common mistake and it has, IME, always turned out a disaster.

Thanks! I'll definitely do that.

Yeah, short layers with my hair either give me triangle head or the poodle do.  Blunt cuts are pretty bad too.  Nice long layers and no bangs look the best, IMO.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Barney girl

« Reply #2686 on: August 01, 2012, 06:53:53 PM »
The bad haircut stories often seem to refer to being turned away from the mirror. I've never had my hair cut with my back to the mirror. Is this common?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #2687 on: August 01, 2012, 06:54:52 PM »
The bad haircut stories often seem to refer to being turned away from the mirror. I've never had my hair cut with my back to the mirror. Is this common?

I've always been facing the mirror, unless the stylist is handing me a hand mirror to look into so I can see how they did the back of my head, and if I like it.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #2688 on: August 01, 2012, 06:57:24 PM »

I've always been facing the mirror, unless the stylist is handing me a hand mirror to look into so I can see how they did the back of my head, and if I like it.

I can't recall ever being turned away from the mirror as an adult...not that it matters because I can't see anything without my glasses on.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #2689 on: August 01, 2012, 07:22:26 PM »
For some reason this morning I thought of my one (and only) experience of a 'facial'. It's not the kind of thing I had money for at the time but it was a gift certificate to the local 'luxury' spa so I thought, why not?

The woman spent the whole. time. telling me all about how dreadfully I am going to age and how *awful* my skin is in order to upsell me a load of products. I know that's where they make their money, but it made it a very unpleasant experience. Also a lot of what she said was just utter rubbish. I have that skin that blushes easily and turns very red with heat, exercise or alcohol so chances are that when I am old I will have lots of broken capillaries in my face. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that, but buying her brand of *cleanser* is never, ever going to make an appreciable difference to it. Note, that I already do look after my skin, just according to this lady not with 'good enough' product. I felt awful that someone had spent a lot of money on this facial as a treat for me and it was just an absolute ordeal. It's turned me off facials forever. Not only that, but several times I have told other people not to use their services and told them why.

The kicker is that although I don't get facials I do spend a steady amount on other treatments (now) and not one red cent of it goes to this place.

About ten years ago, I was a patient of an amazing dermatologist (Dr. B) here. He was down to earth, and very patient with me as I always ask a lot of questions. I had an annual appointment and went as scheduled.

I knew something was wrong walking in the door, because there were glass cabinets of fancy cosmetic creams and brochures all over the lobby. I get to the back, and Dr. B has moved out of the area, and there is a new doctor. This new doctor was pleasant, but not warm and started to tell me how this $400 cream would repair all of my wrinkles, etc. I let him finish the exam, and left. I never went back. I was 33 at the time and I have always had very good skin, so I really don't think I need to buy that cream.

Elisabunny

« Reply #2690 on: August 01, 2012, 07:23:24 PM »

I can't recall ever being turned away from the mirror as an adult...not that it matters because I can't see anything without my glasses on.

The stylists have probably seen too many episodes of "What Not to Wear."
You must remember this: a ghoti is still a fish...

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #2691 on: August 01, 2012, 07:28:04 PM »

I've never been turned away, but I remember when I used to watch 'What Not to Wear' (which is still on), the stylist turned the guest away.

I've never had a haircut that good or that bad.

I  just told my stylist today that this past 4 years is the most comfortable I've ever been with my hair since I was in high school and had a ponytail (1960).

thedudeabides

« Reply #2692 on: August 01, 2012, 11:15:50 PM »
It's interesting that this came up again because just yesterday I read a column in which a woman was asserting that she and all her friends have botox treatment entirely and totally of their own volition, without anyone making them feel insecure about their looks at any point ever.
Riiiiight!  Because, hey, who wouldn't just decide someday "Hey, I'm going to inject a deadly poison into my face!  No, no reason, I just feel like doing it." ::) ::) ::)

That was rather my line of thought. The other central point of the article was that women who don't have botox hate those who do.
My thought was that the author was mistaking "hate" for "think are silly".
I would use a stronger word than 'silly,' like maybe 'crazy.'

And that attitude is better than the one in the article how, exactly?  Maybe they feel less insecure and more like they're taking charge of a situation by having botox.  I think my girlfriend's gorgeous, but if she wanted to get botox, I'd rather have an actual conversation with her about why she wanted it rather than tittering at her behind my hand or rolling my eyes.

I think you are mistaking the direction of the eye rolls and laughter - they are directed at the woman who wrote this article (or more accurately, at the ideas she expressed), not women who get botox in general. If you write an article for public consumption then you can't complain if people think your ideas are misinformed and discuss that fact.

You're right, I did misunderstand how the comment about waking up and deciding to get a deadly toxin injected was directed at the author.  I apologize.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #2693 on: August 02, 2012, 02:23:27 AM »
For some reason this morning I thought of my one (and only) experience of a 'facial'. It's not the kind of thing I had money for at the time but it was a gift certificate to the local 'luxury' spa so I thought, why not?

The woman spent the whole. time. telling me all about how dreadfully I am going to age and how *awful* my skin is in order to upsell me a load of products. I know that's where they make their money, but it made it a very unpleasant experience. Also a lot of what she said was just utter rubbish. I have that skin that blushes easily and turns very red with heat, exercise or alcohol so chances are that when I am old I will have lots of broken capillaries in my face. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that, but buying her brand of *cleanser* is never, ever going to make an appreciable difference to it. Note, that I already do look after my skin, just according to this lady not with 'good enough' product. I felt awful that someone had spent a lot of money on this facial as a treat for me and it was just an absolute ordeal. It's turned me off facials forever. Not only that, but several times I have told other people not to use their services and told them why.

The kicker is that although I don't get facials I do spend a steady amount on other treatments (now) and not one red cent of it goes to this place.

About ten years ago, I was a patient of an amazing dermatologist (Dr. B) here. He was down to earth, and very patient with me as I always ask a lot of questions. I had an annual appointment and went as scheduled.

I knew something was wrong walking in the door, because there were glass cabinets of fancy cosmetic creams and brochures all over the lobby. I get to the back, and Dr. B has moved out of the area, and there is a new doctor. This new doctor was pleasant, but not warm and started to tell me how this $400 cream would repair all of my wrinkles, etc. I let him finish the exam, and left. I never went back. I was 33 at the time and I have always had very good skin, so I really don't think I need to buy that cream.

This seems so strange to me. If you had an appointment with Dr B, how could a different doctor just be there? Aren't appointments in the US for a particular doctor?

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #2694 on: August 02, 2012, 08:03:33 AM »

I've always been facing the mirror, but without my glasses I'm so blind that I might as well be in a closet, for all the good it does.

Speaking of haircuts, I've had some very good cuts at the local discount chain in the US, called Hair Cuttery. On the other hand, I also have very straight thick hair that is easy to manage.   But I also 'invested' once in a cut (byt a student) at a very expensive salon once, and now that I know the cut that works best for me, I just get it done at the HC, especially now that the student I went to is long gone.

Otterpop

« Reply #2695 on: August 02, 2012, 11:14:28 AM »
We have a brilliant hair cutter, at a neighborhood discount salon, that we've been going to for years.  Michelle can duplicate *exactly* any haircut in any picture you bring her.  The cuts also grow out nicely when you want to change styles. She only charges $12 (in Southern California!) for a cut.  My DH, two daughters and I tell her she's a gem, and tip her accordingly.  I'll cry when she retires.

On the other hand, I've been to a pricey salon in the area.  I paid 5X the amount and came out with one side of my hair choppy layered and the other side flat.  It took 2 trips to get it evened out.  I've learned that price does not always equal quality.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #2696 on: August 02, 2012, 12:28:48 PM »

This seems so strange to me. If you had an appointment with Dr B, how could a different doctor just be there? Aren't appointments in the US for a particular doctor?

Dr. B had sold his practice in the time between OP's annual appointments. So the new doctor took over all of Dr. B's old patients.  That's why she was meeting new doctor for the first time

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #2697 on: August 02, 2012, 12:52:21 PM »

Dr. B had sold his practice in the time between OP's annual appointments. So the new doctor took over all of Dr. B's old patients.  That's why she was meeting new doctor for the first time

But usually there's a letter or something sent out that says "Dr. B has retired/moved/is no longer at this practice, we are very excited to welcome New Dr." I've never been surprised by a new doctor when walking into a previously scheduled appointment.

RebeccainGA

• formerly RebeccainAR
« Reply #2698 on: August 02, 2012, 01:13:41 PM »
Mine is more of a 'If I have a choice I'll never use them again" kind of thing. My company moved me halfway across the country, from Arkansas to Georgia, last month.

They were supposed to be there Monday morning - they didn't arrive until Tuesday late afternoon. They seemed to be great at first - polite, friendly, worked hard, asked questions, etc. I will admit, our old house was a zoo - a few steps up from hoarders - but I'd spent months going through and discarding everything I could, and while it wasn't clean and wonderful like I'd have liked, it was at least MUCH BETTER than it had been before my work. The last day of packing, however, when they said they would be out of the house and on to the storage unit by noon, was insane. We had scheduled HVAC work to be done that day (my DD is staying in the house) and were expecting them after noon. They got there, and the movers, who had known the HVAC guys would be there, had left to the last the very back bedroom. The one you had to pass the HVAC closet to get to. The one that had all the huge heavy furniture in it. Yeah, that one. As you can imagine, it was insane.

They finally finish the house about 4pm. I'd told them that DP had her last appointment with her oncologist that day, at 4, so I'd have to leave to take her at 3:30. I arranged for the storage people to open the gate for them, and I unlocked my unit and took off for the doctor. When we got back to the unit, they were still working (almost 7pm). I'd told them it would be six or seven dish barrels worth of fragile, and a huge number of framed art piece to pack. They thought I was exaggerating. I wasn't. They finally finished at 8:30, and said they would meet us in Georgia about 12 hours later. This is a 10-11 hour drive, at minimum, so we were frantic - we still wanted to have dinner with DD before we left, and I still had some things at the house to load into our van! We rush through things, and get to Georgia about 7:55 - I think we broke a few land speed records in the mountains.

The movers arrive after 1pm.

The driver immediately starts making noises about having to be somewhere else the next day, and that he would be napping while the guys unloaded. I was unhappy about this, but figured they would work like they were supposed to. It was like I was playing the bingo game from Hades as we unloaded - I was checking off numbers, directing traffic, keeping DP and the dog happy, and trying to unpack the kitchen so I could function. The end result is that we worked until 10:25 at night, no lunch, no dinner, no breaks longer than 5 minutes. The driver came in about 9:30, very cranky, and not in uniform - turns out he'd parked under the bedroom window of my new neighbor's 7 year old, and left the truck running while he napped, and they had come and knocked on the window to ask him to move or turn it off, as their daughter was trying to sleep. He was all but screaming at the guys to get the stuff off the truck. They finally finish, and the guys go outside to close up the truck (and I thought to load the trash like they were supposed to). The driver hangs around for a few minutes, waiting for a tip, until I tell him I'm about to pass out and he needs to leave, now (and I was!).

You guessed it, they left the trash.

They were supposed to be there for two days unloading. They were supposed to unpack and cart away the trash. They did none of it. It took a frantic call to the local branch from our 'moving concierge' to get a local crew (1 guy and a truck) to come out and help me unload the boxes so that I could reach them (they were stacked to the ceiling in places, and still are in 1 room) and to unpack part of the kitchen. He also took the trash.

They did a half job on the whole thing - I'm unpacking a few boxes every night, and the damage bill is in the thousands already. Poor packing, insane things (wardrobe boxes full of junk, and so full of packing paper I'm throwing away almost full boxes of it for every two boxes I open, and hanging clothes not in wardrobe boxes but folded still on the hangers into regular boxes).

I don't know if corporate moves are always like this or not. I certainly hope not. The company I work for is known for moving folks around, once they reach middle management, about every three years. Argh!

Jones

« Reply #2699 on: August 02, 2012, 01:23:00 PM »
I've had two moving company experiences. One, the larger one, was fantastic. They were prompt, courteous, gave an accurate quote and did everything they said they would. The other, a small company that was subcontracted to a larger company, was a total disaster and afterwards I realized they had broken a couple DOT regulations (I was learning DOT regs as part of my new position). I left bad reviews of them online because they wouldn't take my calls, and the larger company just said "Oh, sorry about that." Don't know if they are still in business or not, but I don't plan on moving again for quite a while (10+ years) and I will carefully check online reviews if I do have to move.