Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 976907 times)

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3225 on: November 06, 2012, 10:36:47 PM »
Oh, so not letting me take my new car until the insurance is in place wasn't just because I was a single woman?  I haven't bought a car with Mr. Sirius yet - we've been married 14 years and are both still driving the cars we had when we got married - so I don't know if we'll be subjected to this.  Still, the times I had bought cars before my last one all the salespeople had needed to hear was that I had an active car insurance policy (and see proof, which I always provided) and I was allowed to drive the cars off the lot.  With the Metro, even proof that I had an active policy with my old car wasn't enough.     

No - In Texas you have to have insurance before you can drive off the lot. I bought my current car, the dealer just called my insurance company and they transfered it to my new car.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

katiescarlett

« Reply #3226 on: November 06, 2012, 11:25:36 PM »
Our current insurance policy extends through the first two weeks with a new car - that gives us time to notify them and get the paperwork done.  I assumed that was pretty standard, but maybe not  :-\

It was the same way for me when I bought my new jeep in April.  Then it was no problem to have my policy changed from my old car to the new jeep.

Jocelyn

« Reply #3227 on: November 06, 2012, 11:47:08 PM »
A friend of mine had great fun going in to buy a car carrying a briefcase.  She negotiated  her deal on the car, and then when they tried to set up financing, she told them she wanted to pay for the car up front.  In cash.  Actual cash.  The briefcase was full of it.  :)  She told us later she had been tempted to point out that they were "non-consecutive bills" but thought that might be pushing it.  They did not know what to do, and ended up calling in several extra car salesman to help count the money (she'd had it organized, of course, but they had to verify).
My great-nephew has an extraordinary interest in investing, for someone who is not quite 8. He would save every bit of money he got for gifts, and finally his parents had to introduce him to the concept of CDs because they were uneasy about him keeping large sums of money sitting around the house.  ::)  He was thrilled when his GiGi (my mother) gave him her old attache case, and he uses it to carry his deposits into the bank. You can imagine how a bank reacts when a 6 year old comes marching in with a briefcase, announces that he wants to purchase a CD, and then opens the case to pull out the cash to do so.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3228 on: November 07, 2012, 01:13:03 AM »
A friend of mine had great fun going in to buy a car carrying a briefcase.  She negotiated  her deal on the car, and then when they tried to set up financing, she told them she wanted to pay for the car up front.  In cash.  Actual cash.  The briefcase was full of it.  :)  She told us later she had been tempted to point out that they were "non-consecutive bills" but thought that might be pushing it.  They did not know what to do, and ended up calling in several extra car salesman to help count the money (she'd had it organized, of course, but they had to verify).
My great-nephew has an extraordinary interest in investing, for someone who is not quite 8. He would save every bit of money he got for gifts, and finally his parents had to introduce him to the concept of CDs because they were uneasy about him keeping large sums of money sitting around the house.  ::)  He was thrilled when his GiGi (my mother) gave him her old attache case, and he uses it to carry his deposits into the bank. You can imagine how a bank reacts when a 6 year old comes marching in with a briefcase, announces that he wants to purchase a CD, and then opens the case to pull out the cash to do so.

Either I've had too much wine, I'm very easy to amuse or both, but I've been giggling over this story for an hour now :D
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

mbbored

• Super Hero!
    • Budget Grad Student
« Reply #3229 on: November 07, 2012, 02:30:22 AM »

Either I've had too much wine, I'm very easy to amuse or both, but I've been giggling over this story for an hour now :D

I'm with you on both fronts.

Jules1980

« Reply #3230 on: November 07, 2012, 08:30:15 AM »
Our current insurance policy extends through the first two weeks with a new car - that gives us time to notify them and get the paperwork done.  I assumed that was pretty standard, but maybe not  :-\

It was the same way for me when I bought my new jeep in April.  Then it was no problem to have my policy changed from my old car to the new jeep.

I had no problems leaving the lot with my new (to me) car with my existing insurance.  I did however have to take it straight to the insurance office so they could take pictures of it for their records since I had full coverage.  I guess they want to document the dents and dings it came with in case I ever needed to get it fixed.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3231 on: November 07, 2012, 08:39:17 AM »

I had no problems leaving the lot with my new (to me) car with my existing insurance.  I did however have to take it straight to the insurance office so they could take pictures of it for their records since I had full coverage.  I guess they want to document the dents and dings it came with in case I ever needed to get it fixed.

I forgot about that! In NJ, if I recall correctly, you have a certain amount of time in which you have to take your car to be inspected, new or used, up to a certain point.  Many garages, service centers etc. will do it, and they look it over, fill out a form, which you are then respoinsible for sending into your insurance co. I want to say its 30 days? My next to last car was old (from my parents) so I didn't have to do it, but my current car was new enough I did.  It was relatively painless; in and out in like 15 minutes.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
  • Paws for a smile
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #3232 on: November 07, 2012, 09:44:02 AM »

The "briefcase reveal" is one of my great desires.  Someday I'm going to buy a *house* like that.  Set down the briefcase, turn it to face them, flip both locks simultaneously, open the briefcase.  I might just hire an actor to wear it on a handcuff, too.

My parents were on the receiving end of it, when they sold an apartment. They had to arrange to close at a private room in their bank (since they certainly wouldn't want to walk around with a whole lot of cash to deposit), with a bank employee there to count the money, as a neutral third party. We strongly suspect money laundering but the paper work was all done correctly, with full values. A call to our IRS equivalent hotline was also placed.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #3233 on: November 07, 2012, 09:51:50 AM »
Working for an insurance company, I remember a guy who filed ONE claim - for damage from a hail storm, a tree branch falling on it, undercarriage damage from a pot hole or rock (I forget which - maybe both?), and about six other things - all from different incidents on different days.  He just wanted to pay ONE deductible since it was only going to take ONE trip to the repair shop....

The adjuster on the scene said that some of the damage was rusted (old damage) and some was still shiny (new damage) - so it was sorted out by the type of damage - he ended up with one hail claim (dated as the last hail storm some five months earlier), an impact with a deer, impact from a falling branch,  the undercarriage damage, and a couple of other things - which were roughly dated by the the type of damage, weather that might have caused it, and the amount of rust or dirt over that particular ding, dent, or scrape.

He was furious because that meant that he had to pay for all the deuductibles and that was more than the cost of the paint job.

He got told that he was supposed to get it reported and fixed after every incident if he wanted it fixed - not once a year or so.......

I do not remember what state it was in or if there were any quirks of state law - I do remember the note from the on the scene adjuster about "he says that he didn't have time to report the individual accidents or events and he only wanted to have to put it in the shop ONE time after all the snow melted"....  Which wasn't the way that car insurance works - even if some people would like it to work that way.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Hillia

« Reply #3234 on: November 07, 2012, 10:36:06 AM »
I can kind of see his reasoning...when I was a medical claims processor nearly 30 years ago, many people would save up all their healthcare claims and submit them once or twice a year.  One deductible was applied and the claims processed as a batch.  But I can also see how car insurance would look at claims per incident rather than as a series of discrete events.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

suzieQ

« Reply #3235 on: November 07, 2012, 11:02:08 AM »
I think I'm done with Discover Card. I bought a game on Amazon on October 29. It arrived and I put it up for DS. Four days later, the price dropped. Amazon won't do anything about it, unless I want to return it and eat half the cost of the price drop in shipping. Not worth the hassle.
So I think - "hey, let me check the credit card I used to see if they offer price protection!" and they do! Yea!

I call Discover, they put me on hold for a long time, and then I find out that plan went into effect November 1. Yep, they won't refund a measly $10 because I bought it before the plan started.

I totally understand this, but NOWHERE on the site does it say that the plan started November 1. It just says to contact them within 90 days of the purchase to get the difference refunded. Now if it was a big refund, I can understand sticking to the date. But for $10? When the website does not have the date the plan started on it?

Yeah, I'm just aggravated enough to quit using that card.  I called back to complain (nicely) about it and they will tell the website people about it so the website will be updated. But did they offer the $10 difference to me for my time and aggravation? Nope. She even asked if the person I spoke to offered me anything and I told her he did not, because after he transferred me to the other person, he didn't know that they could not refund the difference. So did she offer it? Nope.

Maybe I should have flat out asked for it, but I felt that I *was* asking for it since I did make the call to request it and then another call to complain that the information about start date is not on the website.

tiff019

« Reply #3236 on: November 07, 2012, 12:52:49 PM »
Oh, so not letting me take my new car until the insurance is in place wasn't just because I was a single woman?  I haven't bought a car with Mr. Sirius yet - we've been married 14 years and are both still driving the cars we had when we got married - so I don't know if we'll be subjected to this.  Still, the times I had bought cars before my last one all the salespeople had needed to hear was that I had an active car insurance policy (and see proof, which I always provided) and I was allowed to drive the cars off the lot.  With the Metro, even proof that I had an active policy with my old car wasn't enough.     

If I remember from past threads, you are in California?  I believe it's a state law because both times I bought a new car I definitely had to show proof of insurance before I could drive it off the lot.   Because it was late by the time everything was signed, I had to go back to the dealership to get the car the next day.

Odd, I'm in CA and bought a car in 2010 (used but from a dealership). I had a 5 day grace period to get insurance on the 'new' car (of course I called that night though...)

Shalamar

« Reply #3237 on: November 07, 2012, 01:09:12 PM »
Jocelyn, I love that story about your nephew!

That reminds me of when my husband and I saved up a bunch of cash to buy a new couch.  The total was just shy of $800, and we got a 5% discount for paying cash.  When I pulled out a big wad of bills, the salesclerk stared and said jokingly "Hey, I heard that a 7/11 got knocked over a few blocks from here."  "You got me - it was us," I grinned.

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #3238 on: November 07, 2012, 01:21:44 PM »
We toss all of our change into a large plastic banks. Periodicly, we will empty it out and roll up the coins. We had quite a bit of it. When we were buying the F-150 Wulfieman asked the salesman if it was ok to pay the down payment with the coins or did they want a check? He said that the coins were fine. I don't think he understood how many coins make up $1000.  They turned pale when we pulled out the handtruck. :)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #3239 on: November 07, 2012, 01:27:31 PM »
After a texting drunk driver  ??? :o rear-ended DH and DS several months ago, we received a check for the totaled car.  It was not enough to replace it, but we found a one year older and smaller vehicle for about the same price, and made arrangements to buy it Saturday morning from a private owner.  Yes, we had an auto inspection done!

Well, when I had deposited the check from the drunk guy's insurance company, I made double sure, even checked with two bank employees, that I could make the deposit to our joint account, even though the check was made out only to DH.  I was told it was fine.

Cue a few days later when we want to pull the cash out to pay cash for the car.
"Oh, RegionMom, the company denied the check, since it had to be only for DH, and you signed it without his permission."
"WHAT!"!

So we spent about an hour in some bank officer's office making calls and getting it settled so that we could get our cash and buy the car.

It got done, and all was rectified. 

Still, I considered finding another bank...

As for the coins, yeah, they add up!  We do a cash only budget, and do not spend change.  I actually like paying $X.02 to get the 98 cents in change because that goes straight to the jar at home, where every now and then, the kids dump it into the machine that counts it up and then they fill out deposit and transfer slips to their accounts, savings for college and what not. 

It really adds up!!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.