Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1245974 times)

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3315 on: November 26, 2012, 03:34:30 PM »
Not sugar in my drink but mustard on my sandwich.

The smell makes me feel "off" - I think that I had food poisoning as a young child - because the smell makes me feel the same way as the one or two foods I've gotte food poisoning from since (things that I remember when I got sick from eating them - mustard, I don't remember, I just get that "feeling").

VorGuy ordered two sandwiches, two drinks, and two sides to go while I was in the bathroom (10 hour drive that took 11.5 hours due to traffic by the time we got home).  He showed me the order slip. 

We ate in the car (running behind schedule by almost an hour then - he did not want to stop).  I ate my side and we shared his.  He had both sandwiches - as both were heavily smeared with the yellow mustard.....I couldn't even grab the bare buns off both sandwiches and fake it while he ate double mustard.  Too much mustard......

And I'm not driving back to Mississippi (six hours or so) over a sandwich.

I am going to start opening all bags and unwrapping sandwiches while standing at the counter - because this is not the first time we've had someone prepping our food on "auto-pilot" and preparing the standard sandwich instead of the special order that's been turned in.......

I may go back to ordering chicken sandwiches - as long as they aren't "spicy" - for some reason they are made with mayo as the default instead of mustard......as long as nobody puts pickles on the chicken sandwich......but that's another story and a different fast food chain!
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3316 on: November 26, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »
I am also diabetic, and have grown accustomed to coffee with cream only, no sugar. I still have trouble with my orders at various places. I now just bring K-cups and whole milk to work, so I can use the machine and customize my own.

Shalamar

« Reply #3317 on: November 26, 2012, 05:15:01 PM »
I remember going out for dinner for Father's Day with my husband and then-toddler daughter (she was about 18 months).  I was pregnant at the time with Daughter #2.  For some reason I really fancied a margarita, so I ordered a virgin one.  When it came, it looked so delicious my little girl asked to have a sip, and I thought "Why not?  It's got no alcohol in it."

You know where this is going, right?

When the bill came, I'd been charged full price for my drink, and the virgin version of it should have been a couple of bucks cheaper.  I pointed it out to the server, who said (rather condescendingly) "No, you ordered a regular margarita."  I said in horror "I most definitely did not!  For starters, I'm pregnant, and for another thing I let me daughter have some of it!"  The look on his face was a sight to behold - he must have thought that I was going to get him fired.

Thankfully, there were no repercussions - the drink had been mostly ice, so it didn't harm the baby.  As for my toddler daughter - well, we saw her talking to the flowers and giggling, but she didn't get sick.  Thank goodness!

o_gal

« Reply #3318 on: November 27, 2012, 08:12:18 AM »
I am a regular Tim Horton's coffee drinker.  I am also diabetic, so I take artificial sweetener instead of sugar.  As you can imagine, this is very important.  I have never accidentally been given sugar by any Tim Horton's employee.

But you have to watch them like a hawk if you want decaffeinated. I can't order a decaf anything in the drive-thru. Even if I emphasize decaf when I order, and confirm it when they hand it to me, 4 out of 5 times it will be regular. And then I'll get to spend the next couple of days with my heart going nuts and the next couple of weeks with various low chest pains and arrhythmias as the caffeine works its way out of my system (all of this is benign and does not indicate anything other than that I've had caffeine, as confirmed by my doctor.)

So what I have to do is go inside, order, and watch them. The last time a couple of weeks ago, I watched as the order taker took the regular pot and filled the cup. I called it "is that decaf?" and he stopped, then dumped it. Then he reached up, slowly brought his hand up to the decaf pot, then moved it over and took the older pot next to it. Which was regular. Before he even started pouring, I called out again "Decaf please!" and he realized his mistake AGAIN. Then he poured from the decaf pot and handed it over while apologizing. I left and got to enjoy my yummy Tim's coffee.

While I won't stop ordering a TH coffee, I just know that I can't order it where I can't watch them pour it.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3319 on: November 30, 2012, 02:25:48 PM »
While out today I thought of one!

Years ago, we were shopping for a new kitten (yes, in those days we frequented pet shops... we were young and foolish).  Anyway, we fell in love with an adorable white/tabby mix, and relay that to one of the store workers.  He walks over to the cage, confirms which on the two we want, gets a pet dish, and (to wake the kitty up), BANGS as hard as he can on the cage for a good ten seconds.  My nerves were jangled, I don't know about the kittens'.  (This was the point where we wish, and continue to wish for years, that we just got both of them).

So at this point, we just want to buy the kitten and leave.  We get up to the front, and he gets a cardboard box and uses a big cutter to start punching holes in.  While doing this, he turns to his coworker and says "This used to be a lot more fun 'till they stopped letting us put the cats in first!"  I have never been so quickly nauseated in my life.  I wish I could say I walked right out, but sadly I didn't.  I like to think that it meant that I saved that kitty (who would go on to become our sweet, darling Mitsi) a lot of grief.

I never darkened the door of that shop again, ever.  Months later, it was gone anyway, with a bank in its place, and I said good riddance.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3320 on: November 30, 2012, 02:34:23 PM »
I like to think that it meant that I saved that kitty (who would go on to become our sweet, darling Mitsi) a lot of grief.

Yes, you did.  And thank you for doing that. :(

That story makes me really angry. :(

Sirius

• Super Hero!
  • Stars in my eyes!
« Reply #3321 on: November 30, 2012, 02:55:17 PM »
People tend to react with, "Black coffee?  Are you sure?" when I order black coffee (I like it that way.)  Except for the Starbucks by the bank where I go - the barista said, "Black coffee.  A woman after my own heart." 

Ohjustlovely

• Myspace
« Reply #3322 on: November 30, 2012, 07:34:18 PM »
that kitty (who would go on to become our sweet, darling Mitsi) a lot of grief.

My kitty's name is Mitsi too!

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3323 on: November 30, 2012, 07:48:15 PM »
We had a Mitsy.  My parents lost her suddenly earlier this year. :(

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3324 on: November 30, 2012, 09:25:50 PM »
I remember going out for dinner for Father's Day with my husband and then-toddler daughter (she was about 18 months).  I was pregnant at the time with Daughter #2.  For some reason I really fancied a margarita, so I ordered a virgin one.  When it came, it looked so delicious my little girl asked to have a sip, and I thought "Why not?  It's got no alcohol in it."

You know where this is going, right?

When the bill came, I'd been charged full price for my drink, and the virgin version of it should have been a couple of bucks cheaper.  I pointed it out to the server, who said (rather condescendingly) "No, you ordered a regular margarita."  I said in horror "I most definitely did not!  For starters, I'm pregnant, and for another thing I let me daughter have some of it!"  The look on his face was a sight to behold - he must have thought that I was going to get him fired.

Thankfully, there were no repercussions - the drink had been mostly ice, so it didn't harm the baby.  As for my toddler daughter - well, we saw her talking to the flowers and giggling, but she didn't get sick.  Thank goodness!
I was underaged. I took my elementary aged cousins ice skating at the galleria. We went to get lunch. I ordered us 3 virgin daiquiris and went to the restroom.

The kids warned me that the drinks tasted like Daddy's drink not ours. I confirmed with a sip. The waiter refused to replace them. I took them to the bar - and the bartender at first refused to replace them. Then 3 girls a couple years older came and started to complain that they were given virgin daiquiris.

I was royally ticked off - especially because I have a very soft head. Less than 1/2 of that drink would have had me out at the table. (Weird situation they changed the legal age - and I wasn't Grandfathered in).

I told Dad. He tried to calling the manager (a customer of Dad's) to give him a heads up. He blew Dad off. It was a national chain, so Dad didn't try to talk sense to the chain of command. He reported to Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission that 3 underaged people were served and that the staff did nothing about it. He listed the ages. The agent called him to tell him he made a mistake in the report, did he want to amend it before it went further. The guy practically dropped the phone when Dad explained he hadn't made a mistake that the minors served were 19, 8, and 5 (guy assumed Dad meant 19, 18, 5)
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3325 on: November 30, 2012, 09:33:36 PM »
...  He reported to Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission that 3 underaged people were served and that the staff did nothing about it. He listed the ages. The agent called him to tell him he made a mistake in the report, did he want to amend it before it went further. The guy practically dropped the phone when Dad explained he hadn't made a mistake that the minors served were 19, 8, and 5 (guy assumed Dad meant 19, 18, 5)

Actually, he probably assumed the ages were supposed to have been listed as 19, 18 and 15.  I can't believe the bar didn't jump all over themselves correcting this one.  Quickest way I can think of to lose your liquor license in my state!!

Iris

« Reply #3326 on: November 30, 2012, 09:41:58 PM »
...  He reported to Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission that 3 underaged people were served and that the staff did nothing about it. He listed the ages. The agent called him to tell him he made a mistake in the report, did he want to amend it before it went further. The guy practically dropped the phone when Dad explained he hadn't made a mistake that the minors served were 19, 8, and 5 (guy assumed Dad meant 19, 18, 5)

Actually, he probably assumed the ages were supposed to have been listed as 19, 18 and 15.  I can't believe the bar didn't jump all over themselves correcting this one.  Quickest way I can think of to lose your liquor license in my state!!

In any state, I would have thought. I can't fathom any person that, on being told that they'd accidentally given a 5 year old rum, wouldn't at least CHECK. The fact that at least one of them was professionally trained/licensed to serve alcohol blows my mind.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3327 on: November 30, 2012, 09:44:34 PM »
I was underaged. I took my elementary aged cousins ice skating at the galleria. We went to get lunch. I ordered us 3 virgin daiquiris and went to the restroom.

The kids warned me that the drinks tasted like Daddy's drink not ours. I confirmed with a sip. The waiter refused to replace them. I took them to the bar - and the bartender at first refused to replace them. Then 3 girls a couple years older came and started to complain that they were given virgin daiquiris.

I was royally ticked off - especially because I have a very soft head. Less than 1/2 of that drink would have had me out at the table. (Weird situation they changed the legal age - and I wasn't Grandfathered in).

I told Dad. He tried to calling the manager (a customer of Dad's) to give him a heads up. He blew Dad off. It was a national chain, so Dad didn't try to talk sense to the chain of command. He reported to Texas Alcohol Beverage Commission that 3 underaged people were served and that the staff did nothing about it. He listed the ages. The agent called him to tell him he made a mistake in the report, did he want to amend it before it went further. The guy practically dropped the phone when Dad explained he hadn't made a mistake that the minors served were 19, 8, and 5 (guy assumed Dad meant 19, 18, 5)

What happened after that?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3328 on: November 30, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »

What happened after that?
Sorry about the typo. Honestly I don't remember. I went back to University. I do know the restaurant closed down shortly after. The chain was shutting down restaurants that were under performing and that spot had to cost lots of money. I don't know if TABC shut them down or if they just closed because they  weren't making enough money.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Thuringwethyl

« Reply #3329 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
Ooooh, I just thought of a good one!

As part of a sales agency/distribution company we go to a lot of industry conferences. This particular conference we had our own booth for the first time (we are mainly west coast and this was east coast). We had arranged with our trucking company to deliver a pallet of supplies - brochures, samples, etc. - the morning the conference center was open. There are always long lines for the delivery trucks as all the vendors have to get their stuff delivered and set up in one day. The only way to be finished setting up the booth before nightfall is to get the truck in the line early. The company was contracted to be get to the center around 8 AM and all of our material would be available in a reasonable amount of time.

So the day the set-up starts we get to the conference center around 9 AM. We set up what we can (rented couches, display cases) and check with the receiving people if our pallet has been checked in yet. After getting a negative we decide to run to Walmart to pick up some last minutes supplies (glass cleaner, small potted plants, energy bars, etc) fully expecting to find our pallet waiting for us when we got back. After lunch we went to receiving and found out that the truck had never been in the line to begin with. :o My boss called our office (which, due to the time difference, was just starting their day) and spoke to our purchaser. The purchaser (hereafter P) called up the company to find out what was going on.
Well. The person P talked to said that the trucker decided he didn't want to wait in line all that time (which was in the contract) and would deliver the pallet later. After 5 PM in fact. Unfortunately, the conference receiving center closed at 4:30.
All our marketing materials were on this pallet.   
After P pulled up the contract and read them the riot act they grudgingly agreed to get to the conference center as soon as they could (it was about 2 PM). We waited for another hour for the truck to appear. My boss was trying to haunt the receiving area without annoying people so around 3:30 she noticed a single box leaning against one of the doorways with her name on it. She asked the receiving people and they said a man had walked up to the doorway without checking in and just left the box there. Huh - said my boss - but where's the rest of the pallet? No pallet, just the box.
Now this particular box was long, thin, and heavy - which is why it had been placed in the middle of the pallet and the whole thing cocooned in shrink-wrap.  >:(
My boss called P who hit the roof; P called the company again and was informed that their records showed that we had only shipped the box. Unfortunately for them, we had had the weight recorded, the number of packages on the pallet, a picture, and the signature of the delivery company when they picked it up. The company back-pedaled after realizing that we kept good records  ::) and started following up to find out what had happened. Meanwhile OUR office was scouring their building for left-over material and overnighting it to us.
Back at the conference center it was after 6:30 PM when we gave up on the truck. We brainstormed and managed to put up simple displays featuring what we had been able to fit in our luggage. Since we were marketing "natural" material we decided to tell people that we were collecting emails instead of handing out brochures in order to save trees.  ;D

Epilogue: the rest of our pallet mysteriously appeared 2 hours after the conference started, the shrink wrap torn up and boxes beat to heck. It was unceremoniously dumped at our booth and left for us to deal with. We had to unpack the boxes, move, and clean up the debris while customers swirled around us.  :(

So that's one company that we will never do business with again!