Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 971212 times)

Thuringwethyl

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3330 on: November 30, 2012, 11:10:13 PM »
Ooooh, I just thought of a good one!

As part of a sales agency/distribution company we go to a lot of industry conferences. This particular conference we had our own booth for the first time (we are mainly west coast and this was east coast). We had arranged with our trucking company to deliver a pallet of supplies - brochures, samples, etc. - the morning the conference center was open. There are always long lines for the delivery trucks as all the vendors have to get their stuff delivered and set up in one day. The only way to be finished setting up the booth before nightfall is to get the truck in the line early. The company was contracted to be get to the center around 8 AM and all of our material would be available in a reasonable amount of time.

So the day the set-up starts we get to the conference center around 9 AM. We set up what we can (rented couches, display cases) and check with the receiving people if our pallet has been checked in yet. After getting a negative we decide to run to Walmart to pick up some last minutes supplies (glass cleaner, small potted plants, energy bars, etc) fully expecting to find our pallet waiting for us when we got back. After lunch we went to receiving and found out that the truck had never been in the line to begin with. :o My boss called our office (which, due to the time difference, was just starting their day) and spoke to our purchaser. The purchaser (hereafter P) called up the company to find out what was going on.
Well. The person P talked to said that the trucker decided he didn't want to wait in line all that time (which was in the contract) and would deliver the pallet later. After 5 PM in fact. Unfortunately, the conference receiving center closed at 4:30.
All our marketing materials were on this pallet.   
After P pulled up the contract and read them the riot act they grudgingly agreed to get to the conference center as soon as they could (it was about 2 PM). We waited for another hour for the truck to appear. My boss was trying to haunt the receiving area without annoying people so around 3:30 she noticed a single box leaning against one of the doorways with her name on it. She asked the receiving people and they said a man had walked up to the doorway without checking in and just left the box there. Huh - said my boss - but where's the rest of the pallet? No pallet, just the box.
Now this particular box was long, thin, and heavy - which is why it had been placed in the middle of the pallet and the whole thing cocooned in shrink-wrap.  >:(
My boss called P who hit the roof; P called the company again and was informed that their records showed that we had only shipped the box. Unfortunately for them, we had had the weight recorded, the number of packages on the pallet, a picture, and the signature of the delivery company when they picked it up. The company back-pedaled after realizing that we kept good records  ::) and started following up to find out what had happened. Meanwhile OUR office was scouring their building for left-over material and overnighting it to us.
Back at the conference center it was after 6:30 PM when we gave up on the truck. We brainstormed and managed to put up simple displays featuring what we had been able to fit in our luggage. Since we were marketing "natural" material we decided to tell people that we were collecting emails instead of handing out brochures in order to save trees.  ;D

Epilogue: the rest of our pallet mysteriously appeared 2 hours after the conference started, the shrink wrap torn up and boxes beat to heck. It was unceremoniously dumped at our booth and left for us to deal with. We had to unpack the boxes, move, and clean up the debris while customers swirled around us.  :(

So that's one company that we will never do business with again!

camlan

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3331 on: December 04, 2012, 05:43:37 PM »
A friend of mine had great fun going in to buy a car carrying a briefcase.  She negotiated  her deal on the car, and then when they tried to set up financing, she told them she wanted to pay for the car up front.  In cash.  Actual cash.  The briefcase was full of it.  :)  She told us later she had been tempted to point out that they were "non-consecutive bills" but thought that might be pushing it.  They did not know what to do, and ended up calling in several extra car salesman to help count the money (she'd had it organized, of course, but they had to verify).

My dad did that once. They had to give him $40.57 in change--but they didn't have any change, because no one ever buys a car for cash. They had to ask him if he would take a check for what they owed him.

The salesman was pretty darned surprised at getting cash. I think he was also worried about whether he could get it all to the bank before it closed.
Nothing is impossible, the word itself says, “I’m possible!” –Audrey Hepburn

Reika

« Reply #3332 on: December 06, 2012, 03:15:56 PM »
This originally started in the personal mysteries thread.

The ac-dc wall charger for my tablet disappeared. After a couple of days, mom finally fessed up to throwing out "a weird looking wire". So I tried all sorts of places, including Radio Shack, to get a replacement. No luck. I finally get in touch with the manufacturer over the phone (they never responded to my emails) and they tell me to mail a check or money order with a written request for a wall charger. No, they don't take orders over their website.

So over three weeks ago I mail my order with a personal check. I gave it a little time due to the upcoming holidays, but they couldn't give me any updates when I called last week.

Yesterday there's a voicemail from them saying "We don't accept personal checks, only money orders or cashier's checks."

I'm still trying to calm down before calling them back to say nevermind.

So I'm never buying another item from Craig Electronics again.

Luci45

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3333 on: December 06, 2012, 05:41:49 PM »
This originally started in the personal mysteries thread.

The ac-dc wall charger for my tablet disappeared. After a couple of days, mom finally fessed up to throwing out "a weird looking wire". So I tried all sorts of places, including Radio Shack, to get a replacement. No luck. I finally get in touch with the manufacturer over the phone (they never responded to my emails) and they tell me to mail a check or money order with a written request for a wall charger. No, they don't take orders over their website.

So over three weeks ago I mail my order with a personal check. I gave it a little time due to the upcoming holidays, but they couldn't give me any updates when I called last week.

Yesterday there's a voicemail from them saying "We don't accept personal checks, only money orders or cashier's checks."

I'm still trying to calm down before calling them back to say nevermind.

So I'm never buying another item from Craig Electronics again.

Breath deeply. Go to your happy place. Remember we all understand and sympathize.

And thanks for the tip.

Reika

« Reply #3334 on: December 06, 2012, 08:54:40 PM »
Breath deeply. Go to your happy place. Remember we all understand and sympathize.

And thanks for the tip.

I'll be doing better tomorrow when the new one I got through Newegg arrives. :)

magician5

« Reply #3335 on: December 06, 2012, 10:26:12 PM »
I found a charger for my "antique" electronic keyboard this way - bet you could find one this way too:

Google "charger [name/model of your tablet]" - it was just that easy, and cheap.
There is no 'way to peace.' Peace is the way.

Reika

« Reply #3336 on: December 07, 2012, 05:27:55 AM »
I found a charger for my "antique" electronic keyboard this way - bet you could find one this way too:

Google "charger [name/model of your tablet]" - it was just that easy, and cheap.

Tried that, no luck. Thank you, though. :)

laud_shy_girl

“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #3338 on: December 07, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »
Not sure what model you have but when I searched Amazon, they had a couple of wall chargers for Craig tablet computers.

Reika

« Reply #3339 on: December 07, 2012, 01:07:12 PM »
I've tried universal adapators and they didn't work. The ones I found on Amazon weren't for my model and Craig's customer service couldn't tell me if one for another model would work or not. Believe me, I went crazy trying to find a charger that would fit and work.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3340 on: December 07, 2012, 02:23:11 PM »
If you know the charging requirements (usually it will be something like "Output: 5V ---- 1A"), then you can search for the exact power requirements.  As long as the charger you buy has the proper connection, and has the exact power output you need, you'll be set.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3341 on: December 07, 2012, 03:13:53 PM »
If you know the charging requirements (usually it will be something like "Output: 5V ---- 1A"), then you can search for the exact power requirements.  As long as the charger you buy has the proper connection, and has the exact power output you need, you'll be set.

Or a lower output. We're having this problem with our Kindle Fire--Amazon's power adapters never last long and we need yet another new one. Our Fire is still under warranty so it should be free, but since they introduced the second generation Fire they don't make those chargers anymore--the second generation Fire comes with a mini USB cord and you have to buy a wall charger separately, which is "currently unavailable" from Amazon. They tried giving us a second generation Fire but I hated it, plus I thought it was stupid to replace a $200 tablet instead of a $20 charger. So they're sending a second refurbished charger (even though they assured me that they're all quality tested, the first refurbished one was so loose it literally fell out of the Fire) and I have to use my cell phone charger for now, which is half as powerful. It works, just much much more slowly. Not really a "never shopping there again" offense (yet), but I probably couldn't say that about Amazon anyway since we order so much stuff from them.

Reika

« Reply #3342 on: December 07, 2012, 03:22:01 PM »

I tried that, I really did, but the blasted thing wouldn't charge with the charger that wasn't made by the company. I tried 3-4 different chargers (once I found ones that would actually fit). And unlike any other device I've dealt with (including mom's cheapo smart phone), it won't charge off the computer.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3343 on: December 07, 2012, 04:06:48 PM »

I tried that, I really did, but the blasted thing wouldn't charge with the charger that wasn't made by the company. I tried 3-4 different chargers (once I found ones that would actually fit). And unlike any other device I've dealt with (including mom's cheapo smart phone), it won't charge off the computer.

Yeeeah, that's definitely a deal breaker for me.  If the company goes out of business, I have a plastic brick.  NUH UH.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3344 on: December 07, 2012, 04:14:52 PM »
I have a Belkin surge suppressor with both regular plugs and usb outlets on it. I use it to charge all of my devices. It is less than $12. I have had mine for nearly two years and use it all the time. We love it so much we bought another for DH and DS.

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Mini-Surge-Protector-Charger/dp/B0015DYMVO