News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 21, 2018, 05:48:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2992619 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3405 on: January 22, 2013, 09:00:24 AM »
I'd be ripe on Yelp for that one.  I may have even said, "Well, if I knew you did sell supplement, maybe I would have brought my pets here to be seen.  As it is, you've just lost a potential customer.  Have a nice day."

When we got home I googled the vet's office and the reviews were not good - people complaining that they won't see a pet, even for emergencies, unless you first pay for a full exam, all vaccinations, etc. and they charge significantly more than nearby offices. Color me unsurprised. I told DH he ought to leave a review, too.

I agree with you about how he should have replied, however, DH is not what I call ehell-approved. A curt (and probably sarcastic) "Thanks" is the best we can hope for. I'm just glad he didn't lob an f-bomb on his way out.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3406 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:48 AM »
I am in west Texas - where unemployment is probably under 2% and wages being paid are ridiculously competitive...

IHOP is out for me.  Even before the price of oil skyrocketed their help was horrible.  Now they are down to three waitresses for the entire facility.  I have a friend that eats there four times a week and last time I joined him half of the serving area was closed and there were two waitresses for the other half.  My food was tasty but the wait is incredible because they do not have enough help and apparently (according to our waitress) are not willing to up the salary to hire more help.

On the other side of town, Cracker Barrell has upped their wages and have a full staff with excellent service.  Even McDonald's is starting out over $8 an hour with no experience. 

It is mostly the IHOP saga around town.  Boomtown wages and costs in this area.  Apartment rent has tripled and people are living in travel trailers (paying triple the normal lot rent) or living four to six deep in two bedroom apartments to manage the rent. 

It's insane in this area right now.   

LibraryLady

« Reply #3407 on: January 22, 2013, 11:05:28 AM »
So don't move out here to West Texas  expecting to find a place to live!  You can find a job, no problem. Just not a place to live without
paying two arms and maybe a leg for it.  It is the same way in the towns around the city Redneck lives in.

rose red

« Reply #3408 on: January 22, 2013, 11:35:05 AM »
My friend got a Rainforest Cafe card when it was free and she does get to bypass the line and also get a free appetizer for each visit.  But the food is so overpriced that I dread when I'm visiting her and her children request to go there (it's their favorite).

As for IHOP, there is one by work that is sooooo slow.  One time, there were only three tables with 2-3 people at each table.  It took at least 20 minutes for the waitress to take our order.  And then we waited.  and waited.  and waited.  It took at least an hour for the food to arrive. 

There was another location that was awesome.  Fast friendly service and even the food tasted hotter and better and fresher than other locations.  Fruits and veggies were always firm and crisp.  But then the mananger left and it went downhill.  I don't go to any IHOP anymore, especially when there are breakfast places with better food and service for around the same or better price.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #3409 on: January 22, 2013, 11:37:47 AM »
<snip>
I'm on the verge of not going back to the place we got married (which is also a restaurant) because they've just been taken over and Every Other Word on their Website and In Their Mailings is Capitalised.  I'm tempted to tweet them and ask them to have a marketing professional proof their website and newsletters because I can't bring myself to eat somewhere who can't follow the basic rules of grammar.

I love the Pioneer Woman's recipes, but she does the same darn thing with Capitalizing Every Word.  Drives me bonkers.  If I print a recipe from her site, I must download it to Word and correct it first.

1 Whole Egg, Beaten Slightly
1 Cup Heavy Cream, Chilled Well
Salt And Pepper, To Taste

Grrr!   :)

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #3410 on: January 22, 2013, 11:52:17 AM »
I once printed a bundt cake recipe off a website.  The recipe was great, and the cake was delicious - except that it called for two cups of flounder.  I knew what she meant, of course, but I wonder how on earth she didn't notice before she posted it.

Sounds fishy.

Sorry.  :-[

esteban

« Reply #3411 on: January 22, 2013, 12:37:26 PM »
I once printed a bundt cake recipe off a website.  The recipe was great, and the cake was delicious - except that it called for two cups of flounder.  I knew what she meant, of course, but I wonder how on earth she didn't notice before she posted it.

Sounds fishy.

Sorry.  :-[

Gotta be pretty on the ball tuna notice mistakes like that
The artist formerly known as deadbody

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3412 on: January 22, 2013, 12:59:51 PM »
I used to love IHOP.  Then we discovered a great diner around here.  More expensive, but man, the food is light years beyond.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3413 on: January 22, 2013, 01:48:01 PM »
Same thing here, also late nights at our IHOP locations involve car loads of teenagers who are not on their best behavior.

Our smoothie and sandwiches place (in my office building) had 6 people working today, with 2 at the front counter. Neither of the two at the counter would take my order, instead calling someone from the back to do it.  ???
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

silvercelt

« Reply #3414 on: January 22, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
All the stories about IHOP. Just chiming in to agree.  DH and I haven't been back there since we got married years ago. Every single time we went, they were understaffed and took forever to bring the food.

There is a reason DH started calling it the "International House of Patience".

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3415 on: January 23, 2013, 08:08:03 AM »
The only location I will visit is the one near my campus. However, there is always one server working the whole dining room. This is very strange to me.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

heartmug

« Reply #3416 on: January 23, 2013, 12:54:13 PM »
All the stories about IHOP. Just chiming in to agree.  DH and I haven't been back there since we got married years ago. Every single time we went, they were understaffed and took forever to bring the food.

There is a reason DH started calling it the "International House of Patience".

lol!  I do like their food, but yes, my local one is a nightmare as far as trying to get seated and waited upon.  We visited relatives in the midwest and when MIL asked for a table for 10 you should have seen their eyes bug out.  lol  (4 of us ended up sitting at the counter.)
One option in a tug of war with someone is just to drop the rope.

Browyn

« Reply #3417 on: January 23, 2013, 03:35:34 PM »
If you're in Massachusetts try hearth 'n kettle instead of ihop.  Better food, they also do breakfast all day and the service has always been good.

Went there Saturday for brunch (Attlebor).  Had the down'easter.  Poached eggs with cheese sauce served over fish cakes with a side of bacon and hash browns.  Awesome!

http://www.hearthnkettle.com/locations-directions.php

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3418 on: January 24, 2013, 01:38:27 AM »
The IHOP across from Disneyland rocks; they understand you want to eat and leave.

The restaurant I tried twice before giving up on has closed; I'm wondering how many other people were not impressed that the staff- in their teens and early 20s- were more interested in interacting with customers their age than making food for those who were not.
Nothing to see here.

Miriam

« Reply #3419 on: January 24, 2013, 10:53:54 AM »
I'm never shopping at a certain textbook store after this semester.

I went in after placing a book on hold and waited at the counter where pick-ups are authorized. There were three employees, one dismantling a box, one in the background shuffling around, and one weaving throughout the aisles. I managed to make eye contact with the guy and girl behind the desk, so I smiled and offered "Hi, hello." but both averted their eyes and continued dismantling the box and shuffling around. Okay, so I'll find the person in the aisles to help me. She disappeared. Increasingly becoming confused, I went up to the check out lanes and asked if I went to the correct desk to pick up my desk book. When it was confirmed that I did go to the correct desk, I walked back.

When I get to the counter the box guy had his back to me, shuffling girl had her back to me. I saw aisle girl come up so I smiled and asked, "Excuse me?" She ignored me, and walked into the back room. I faltered, "Oh..uh, okay." Then the box guy turns around, furrows his eyebrows into and angry Spock looking face, and asks "Yes?!" Wow, okay.

"Hi, hello, I need to pick up a rental. (Gives info at this point)" Box guy throws box on the ground then walks to a pile of books, grabs one, then dumps it on the counter:
"Check and see if that's it," then walks back to the box. I see through the plastic wrap that it is the book I rented.
"Yes, this looks like what I ordered, thank you for your help. . ." then box guy interrupts,
"NO." He drops the box again, yanks book out of plastic wrapping and shakes a large piece of paper (the receipt) out of the pages. "Check THAT to see if it's correct." How was I supposed to know how to do that? At this point other students are wandering up and are frustrated by how aisle girl and shuffling girl are ignoring their pleas for service. Feeling very small I wrapped my book back in the plastic and wondered to the front to check out. There wasn't a manager on duty to speak to, so I just left with my book vowing to use competitor's.
"All Was Well"