Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270760 times)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3420 on: January 22, 2013, 08:28:51 AM »
That reminds me of this weekend. My sister and I took DD to the Mall of America for the day. DD wanted to eat at the Rainforest Cafe. It had been probably 15 years since the last time I ate there. So we get in line and tell the hostess there are three of us. There aren't many people waiting around outside or in the store, and I can see a couple empty tables inside, so I'm hopeful. She tells us it will be at least an hour wait. BUT. If we pay $25 to join their "members club", we can get seated in 10-15.

Sorry. I don't think I want to eat at a place where I have to pay extra to eat at. :P

They want you to pay extra for the privilege of paying them for food?!

That reminds me of the mattress place we were at a few weeks ago. The one we selected wasn't in stock in the back so it was going to be an additional $100 for them to have it sent - not to me, to the store. I told the salesman "I'm not going to pay you to obtain something so you can sell it to me. I'll give you my number and you can call me when you get some in."

Of course it turned out they just so happened to have ONE left. Right. We did still purchase from them because it was a good price for a good mattress (well, after we talked them down to a good price) and I imagine the employees are instructed to tack on as many fees and up-sales as possible, I'm sure he was just doing his job.

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3421 on: January 22, 2013, 08:39:15 AM »
Yesterday DH and I were running errands and one of the items we wanted was an OTC supplement for our cats. We checked PetCo and an employee there told us they didn't carry it but most vets would. There happens to be a vet clinic not too far down the road from our home so we decided to pop in and ask. Now I completely understand that a vet may not be comfortable selling medications, supplements, etc. to an animal they haven't personally examined, but the tone and attitude are why we won't be back.

DH walks in, waits a few minutes while someone else is gathering their pet and paying for services, then steps up to the receptionist's counter.

DH: Hi. I was wondering if you sell *supplement* for cats?
Lady: Are you a current client of Dr. VetName?
DH: No, I was told *supplement* is an OTC, and...
Lady, interrupting and annoyed: Then why are you asking?
DH: I'm sorry?
Lady: We don't sell anything to anyone who doesn't bring their pet here. Why would we?
DH: Okay then, thanks.

And he left. The thing is, we have 3 cats and probably would have used this clinic if they'd been friendly. Obviously the location is convenient. Again, it's understandable to have a "won't sell to pets whose health I haven't verified" policy, but to be so snotty about it?! No thanks.

I'd be ripe on Yelp for that one.  I may have even said, "Well, if I knew you did sell supplement, maybe I would have brought my pets here to be seen.  As it is, you've just lost a potential customer.  Have a nice day."
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3422 on: January 22, 2013, 08:43:00 AM »
That reminds me of this weekend. My sister and I took DD to the Mall of America for the day. DD wanted to eat at the Rainforest Cafe. It had been probably 15 years since the last time I ate there. So we get in line and tell the hostess there are three of us. There aren't many people waiting around outside or in the store, and I can see a couple empty tables inside, so I'm hopeful. She tells us it will be at least an hour wait. BUT. If we pay $25 to join their "members club", we can get seated in 10-15.

Sorry. I don't think I want to eat at a place where I have to pay extra to eat at. :P

They want you to pay extra for the privilege of paying them for food?!

That reminds me of the mattress place we were at a few weeks ago. The one we selected wasn't in stock in the back so it was going to be an additional $100 for them to have it sent - not to me, to the store. I told the salesman "I'm not going to pay you to obtain something so you can sell it to me. I'll give you my number and you can call me when you get some in."

Of course it turned out they just so happened to have ONE left. Right. We did still purchase from them because it was a good price for a good mattress (well, after we talked them down to a good price) and I imagine the employees are instructed to tack on as many fees and up-sales as possible, I'm sure he was just doing his job.

Yeah, I guess after you join you get a $25 "rewards" credit (but not until after you open your account online, so good for your second visit.)
Ask me about Jamberry Nail Wraps!

Snooks

« Reply #3423 on: January 22, 2013, 09:14:56 AM »
Yesterday DH and I were running errands and one of the items we wanted was an OTC supplement for our cats. We checked PetCo and an employee there told us they didn't carry it but most vets would. There happens to be a vet clinic not too far down the road from our home so we decided to pop in and ask. Now I completely understand that a vet may not be comfortable selling medications, supplements, etc. to an animal they haven't personally examined, but the tone and attitude are why we won't be back.

DH walks in, waits a few minutes while someone else is gathering their pet and paying for services, then steps up to the receptionist's counter.

DH: Hi. I was wondering if you sell *supplement* for cats?
Lady: Are you a current client of Dr. VetName?
DH: No, I was told *supplement* is an OTC, and...
Lady, interrupting and annoyed: Then why are you asking?
DH: I'm sorry?
Lady: We don't sell anything to anyone who doesn't bring their pet here. Why would we?
DH: Okay then, thanks.

And he left. The thing is, we have 3 cats and probably would have used this clinic if they'd been friendly. Obviously the location is convenient. Again, it's understandable to have a "won't sell to pets whose health I haven't verified" policy, but to be so snotty about it?! No thanks.

Because they're a business and you want to give them money.  Crazy lady.

I'm on the verge of not going back to the place we got married (which is also a restaurant) because they've just been taken over and Every Other Word on their Website and In Their Mailings is Capitalised.  I'm tempted to tweet them and ask them to have a marketing professional proof their website and newsletters because I can't bring myself to eat somewhere who can't follow the basic rules of grammar.

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3424 on: January 22, 2013, 09:38:04 AM »
Because they're a business and you want to give them money.  Crazy lady.

Pod. Selling supplements is a business, not a favour done for your own specific customers. Even if you never took your pets there for vet services, buying things from their office is money in their pocket.

I think this woman doesn't quite get the "we want to make money" aspect of running a small business like a vet's.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

mmswm

« Reply #3425 on: January 22, 2013, 09:51:25 AM »

Wow.  I was just at that location in August and they were wonderful.  It was fairly crowded, but no mention of a members club and no real wait.  I wonder if this is a new thing?  I would have done the same thing you did if they did that to me.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3426 on: January 22, 2013, 10:00:24 AM »
I'd be ripe on Yelp for that one.  I may have even said, "Well, if I knew you did sell supplement, maybe I would have brought my pets here to be seen.  As it is, you've just lost a potential customer.  Have a nice day."

When we got home I googled the vet's office and the reviews were not good - people complaining that they won't see a pet, even for emergencies, unless you first pay for a full exam, all vaccinations, etc. and they charge significantly more than nearby offices. Color me unsurprised. I told DH he ought to leave a review, too.

I agree with you about how he should have replied, however, DH is not what I call ehell-approved. A curt (and probably sarcastic) "Thanks" is the best we can hope for. I'm just glad he didn't lob an f-bomb on his way out.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3427 on: January 22, 2013, 10:14:48 AM »
I am in west Texas - where unemployment is probably under 2% and wages being paid are ridiculously competitive...

IHOP is out for me.  Even before the price of oil skyrocketed their help was horrible.  Now they are down to three waitresses for the entire facility.  I have a friend that eats there four times a week and last time I joined him half of the serving area was closed and there were two waitresses for the other half.  My food was tasty but the wait is incredible because they do not have enough help and apparently (according to our waitress) are not willing to up the salary to hire more help.

On the other side of town, Cracker Barrell has upped their wages and have a full staff with excellent service.  Even McDonald's is starting out over $8 an hour with no experience. 

It is mostly the IHOP saga around town.  Boomtown wages and costs in this area.  Apartment rent has tripled and people are living in travel trailers (paying triple the normal lot rent) or living four to six deep in two bedroom apartments to manage the rent. 

It's insane in this area right now.   

LibraryLady

« Reply #3428 on: January 22, 2013, 12:05:28 PM »
So don't move out here to West Texas  expecting to find a place to live!  You can find a job, no problem. Just not a place to live without
paying two arms and maybe a leg for it.  It is the same way in the towns around the city Redneck lives in.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3429 on: January 22, 2013, 12:35:05 PM »
My friend got a Rainforest Cafe card when it was free and she does get to bypass the line and also get a free appetizer for each visit.  But the food is so overpriced that I dread when I'm visiting her and her children request to go there (it's their favorite).

As for IHOP, there is one by work that is sooooo slow.  One time, there were only three tables with 2-3 people at each table.  It took at least 20 minutes for the waitress to take our order.  And then we waited.  and waited.  and waited.  It took at least an hour for the food to arrive. 

There was another location that was awesome.  Fast friendly service and even the food tasted hotter and better and fresher than other locations.  Fruits and veggies were always firm and crisp.  But then the mananger left and it went downhill.  I don't go to any IHOP anymore, especially when there are breakfast places with better food and service for around the same or better price.

EmmaJ.

« Reply #3430 on: January 22, 2013, 12:37:47 PM »
<snip>
I'm on the verge of not going back to the place we got married (which is also a restaurant) because they've just been taken over and Every Other Word on their Website and In Their Mailings is Capitalised.  I'm tempted to tweet them and ask them to have a marketing professional proof their website and newsletters because I can't bring myself to eat somewhere who can't follow the basic rules of grammar.

I love the Pioneer Woman's recipes, but she does the same darn thing with Capitalizing Every Word.  Drives me bonkers.  If I print a recipe from her site, I must download it to Word and correct it first.

1 Whole Egg, Beaten Slightly
1 Cup Heavy Cream, Chilled Well
Salt And Pepper, To Taste

Grrr!   :)

Shalamar

« Reply #3431 on: January 22, 2013, 12:50:15 PM »
I once printed a bundt cake recipe off a website.  The recipe was great, and the cake was delicious - except that it called for two cups of flounder.  I knew what she meant, of course, but I wonder how on earth she didn't notice before she posted it.

BabylonSister

• Shake it!
« Reply #3432 on: January 22, 2013, 12:52:17 PM »
I once printed a bundt cake recipe off a website.  The recipe was great, and the cake was delicious - except that it called for two cups of flounder.  I knew what she meant, of course, but I wonder how on earth she didn't notice before she posted it.

Sounds fishy.

Sorry.  :-[

deadbody

« Reply #3433 on: January 22, 2013, 01:37:26 PM »

Sounds fishy.

Sorry.  :-[

Gotta be pretty on the ball tuna notice mistakes like that

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3434 on: January 22, 2013, 01:59:51 PM »
I used to love IHOP.  Then we discovered a great diner around here.  More expensive, but man, the food is light years beyond.