News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 24, 2018, 12:56:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2998103 times)

nuit93

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3495 on: February 18, 2013, 05:09:32 PM »
Can I say "the entire mall" because today I could not find a single thing I wanted to buy.   :P
I know it's totally a first world problem, not to mention a matter of taste preferences, but yeah, nothing looked even slightly attractive.  It made me sad since this is the first time in almost 6 months that I've gone shopping for myself, only to find that every store seems to have embraced the mid 80s.  My choices were neon skinny jeans + sheer tops over bustiers or with suspenders, or clunky nautical prints in flowy polyester or rayon.

Yep, the 80's are back in full.

*weeps*

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3496 on: February 18, 2013, 05:15:43 PM »
At least it's not the 70s again.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

mmswm

« Reply #3497 on: February 18, 2013, 05:25:41 PM »
I think I'd prefer the 70's.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Susiqzer

« Reply #3498 on: February 18, 2013, 05:29:50 PM »
Can I say "the entire mall" because today I could not find a single thing I wanted to buy.   :P
I know it's totally a first world problem, not to mention a matter of taste preferences, but yeah, nothing looked even slightly attractive.  It made me sad since this is the first time in almost 6 months that I've gone shopping for myself, only to find that every store seems to have embraced the mid 80s.  My choices were neon skinny jeans + sheer tops over bustiers or with suspenders, or clunky nautical prints in flowy polyester or rayon.

Yep, the 80's are back in full.

*weeps*

Don't weep yet. You know what's next? The 90's.

*shudder*

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3499 on: February 18, 2013, 05:32:12 PM »
I dunno, after looking at my baby pics from the 70s and my childhood pics from the 80s, I'll take eye-bleedingly goofy 80s fashion over the bizarre shades of fall colors goofy 70s fashion, but that's just me.  :-\

Just wait until the 2000 - 2009* fashions come back - all the worst of the preceding 40 years of fashion! All at once!

*Did anyone ever come up with a good name for that decade? I kinda liked "The Noughties" but don't know if anyone else would understand what I meant.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Library Dragon

« Reply #3500 on: February 18, 2013, 05:36:12 PM »
A crate for a letter?!  Overkill much?  Let me guess... they sell the crating materials.

Yes, they do.  How convenient!   ;)   

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #3501 on: February 18, 2013, 06:11:04 PM »
I tell my DH to stop causing himself needless pain by trying to use the local mailbox store. 

1.  When we had our server fiasco we used them to ship our crashed server to the northeast for info retrieval.  They insisted we needed a pallet.  Okay, I thought it was a bit much, but went with it. 

2.  On this visit my DH needed to send a box of documents and he was told it had to have a crate built for it.  What?  It's going to the next state over.  No, I don't think so. 

3.  My DH needed to send a letter to his University in Leuven, Belgium.  He wanted to use UPS because the tracking is better than the postal system.  First he was told that UPS doesn't go to Belgium.  After much discussion they concede that UPS does go to Belgium, but they will need to build a crate for the letter.  Again!  What?!  DH opted to chance it with the postal system. 

4.  Today we have to send back a our DISH receiver.  It has a label, is taped, paid for, just needs to be picked up by UPS on the routine stop.  Yes.  Yes. Of course.  They will need to build a crate for it.  DH drove to the next city to the UPS central office. to drop it off.

Sounds like someone at the shop is making $$$$ off the crates. I would report them to UPS on suspicion of defrauding customers.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Library Dragon

« Reply #3502 on: February 18, 2013, 06:34:34 PM »
That's a good idea. 

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

DottyG

« Reply #3503 on: February 18, 2013, 06:46:54 PM »
Did anyone ever come up with a good name for that decade? I kinda liked "The Noughties" but don't know if anyone else would understand what I meant.

That term has, typically, been used for the 1st decade of the 1900's.  But, now that we've gone into a new century, it's used for this one now as well.  Depending on the context of what you're discussing, people would probably be able to figure out whether you're talking about 1900-1910 or 2000-2010.

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/noughties

Jocelyn

« Reply #3504 on: February 18, 2013, 09:05:00 PM »
Today's Fedex delivery

I hit the garage door opener as I came out of the house, got into the car, started the engine and started to back out when I suddenly saw a Fedex deliveryperson standing IN MY GARAGE. Apparently she had walked up the drive to deliver the package, but when she saw the garage door open, she decided to come into the garage and make her delivery.
I appreciated her not just going onto the porch and leaving it by my front door, but honestly! I almost backed into her, because, silly me, I didn't expect to see anyone standing inside my garage!
FWIW, she could have stood on the steps to the porch, and tapped on my car as I backed out, if she'd wanted to get my attention.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #3505 on: February 19, 2013, 08:08:26 AM »
I think I'd prefer the 70's.

Yeah, I'd love the late 60's and 70's to come back with the broomstick skirts and peasant style tops.  It annoys me when I see the boho style tops in stores and when I touch them, find out they're made of polyester. :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3506 on: February 19, 2013, 10:23:57 AM »

Ah the mall - commonly referred to now as "teen h@ll for adults"

if you venture out of an anchor store (Sears, Penneys, Dillards) everything else is geared for teen dollars - loud music, half dressed sales clerks and young, skinny clothes

I will go to the mall if forced but will not venture beyond the anchor stores.  Nowdays I can order housewares/bedding online and have it shipped to my office for less than the drive there and the parking hassle  (and don't forget I got mugged at the mall two years ago  >:(). 

So yes, the mall is out!

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #3507 on: February 19, 2013, 11:14:46 AM »
I'm getting tired of the Yankee Candle store.  Ours in the mall is rather small and cramped and it doesn't help that the 3 employees on duty are always following you around introducing you to the candles that always seem to smell the worst. :P  I like candles, I like some of the ones they have and can get them elsewhere.   But I always get "Bahama Delight" or something that smells nauseatingly sweet. 

But then I like natural or woodsy fragrances like their Ocean Water, Beach Walk, Jasmine, Sandalwood and Patchouli sort of fragrances.  Not the "Hey you know you want your house to smell like a tropical bar!!" fragrances.  :P
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #3508 on: February 19, 2013, 11:52:29 AM »
Pirate, if you're near one of the outlet stores (is there one in Hagerstown?  I know there's one in Leesburg), they have a lot more of the old non-sweet fragarances.  Plus the employees leave you alone.  :)
Rogers/Barnes 2016 - With You 'til the End of the Line.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #3509 on: February 19, 2013, 11:55:45 AM »
Oh yeah, we have the Prime Outlets here but I don't think we have a Yankee Candle outlet. We do however have Bath and Body Works.  I wish they did, I do like Yankee Candle and some of the little accesories/decor they have but get annoyed with being followed!