News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 22, 2018, 07:31:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2994116 times)

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3555 on: February 22, 2013, 03:58:41 PM »
Also, up until the 1960's, large or multiple bathrooms just weren't considered important.  My family of five lived in a house with three bedrooms and one small bath.  You did what you had to do, and got out.  My friend came from a family of seven, and also had one bathroom.  A half-bath was added later, but even that was after a couple of the oldest kids had moved out.  (It may be significant that she and all of her siblings now live in homes where there is a minimum of one toilet per person.  Come to think of it, so do my siblings and I.   :)  )

Likewise, bedrooms just weren't places to hang out.  Extra telephones and their jacks were expensive, only rich kids had TVs in their bedrooms, and that only after TVs had shrunk to less than major pieces of furniture.  Heck, 1950's and earlier houses don't even have a lot of electrical outlets.  There wasn't much to plug in.

Our house was built in 1920.  It has the *worst* electrical capacity.  One of the reasons we're moving.  (Well, #213 on the list, anyway.)

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3556 on: February 22, 2013, 04:26:32 PM »
Also, up until the 1960's, large or multiple bathrooms just weren't considered important.  My family of five lived in a house with three bedrooms and one small bath.  You did what you had to do, and got out.  My friend came from a family of seven, and also had one bathroom.  A half-bath was added later, but even that was after a couple of the oldest kids had moved out.  (It may be significant that she and all of her siblings now live in homes where there is a minimum of one toilet per person.  Come to think of it, so do my siblings and I.   :)  )

Likewise, bedrooms just weren't places to hang out.  Extra telephones and their jacks were expensive, only rich kids had TVs in their bedrooms, and that only after TVs had shrunk to less than major pieces of furniture.  Heck, 1950's and earlier houses don't even have a lot of electrical outlets.  There wasn't much to plug in.

I don't object to small bedrooms, and that certainly fits with what I've seen in old houses so it's not unexpected. But agents, don't try and convince me that a bedroom narrow enough to fit the length of a crib and nothing else on a wall is "huge." It is not. Words mean things. I'm familiar with "dollhouse" to mean "small house," "charming" to mean "the previous owners did some weird things with paint," etc. Those are clearly euphemisms. "Huge" has a fairly clear meaning, and a 5x8 foot bedroom has not ever, nor would it ever, be considered huge. To me that's dishonesty on the agent's part, and if I were misled by an agent like that, he/she would no longer be my agent.

mmswm

« Reply #3557 on: February 22, 2013, 05:22:29 PM »
I'm lucky that the last time I was house hunting I had a wonderful buyer's agent.  I did run into quite a number of less than honest sellers agents.  I'll be happy if I never have to go through that again, though I will have to at some point.  *sigh*
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #3558 on: February 22, 2013, 05:59:06 PM »
The Sprint Store in Houghton Lake, MI.

Went in there with DH, my Grandmother & DD (who's 2.)  Walked in, associate is helping a family.  She doesn't look at us, acknowledge us in any way.  So we look around, pick out a phone for Grandma, watch DD run around (not destroy anything, just the energy that toddlers have).

We were going to purchase a basic phone for Grandma and add it to our plan.

We wait over 20 minutes without the associate (and the only person we could see) acknowledging us.  We get fed up, and leave, telling Grandma that we'll just order her phone through Amazon wireless.

On our way out, the associate finally looks at us as w're going out the door.  She smiles and says "If you have just a quick question - "

I give her a slight glare and say "We were going to get a phone," emphasising the were.

She gets a panicked look in her face and blurts out "sorry, I'm here by myself, please come back!"

We don't, and we won't be back to that store.  If she'd acknowledged us in any way, even saying "sorry, this is going to take awhile" etc, we would have come back, but we're not.  Not when they're apparently not taught to acknowledge a customer.

As a reference  librarian, I usually get a line of patrons (after school or weekends, usually).  If there's a line, I smile and say, "It'll be  a minute". If it's a long question, I'll even go a step further and ask if it's just a quick question.  I never ignore a patron, and I would never treat a customer like the associate treated my family.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #3559 on: February 22, 2013, 06:25:10 PM »
Our house is a 1920's bungalow, last decorated in the 70's.  DH's uncle insists it was a duplex, divided down the middle of the house, but I expressed doubt at this, because the first and second floor bathrooms are on the same side of the house which means the right side of the house would have had no bathrooms.  It was suggested that perhaps the upstairs and right side of the first floor was one side, the left side and the basement another.

But then one unit would have no shower or bath. 

Really there's just no good way for it to have been divided but he was sure it was a duplex. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

DottyG

« Reply #3560 on: February 22, 2013, 06:37:02 PM »
It could be a duplex divided by the 1st and 2nd floors.

We have a friend who lived in a house like that (until the elderly lady downstairs died - now he owns the whole thing).

BabyMama

• Jamberry Nail Wraps
« Reply #3561 on: February 22, 2013, 07:09:02 PM »
Our house was listed as a 3-bedroom, 1 bath--I guess because the dining room has a closet they felt they could list it as a bedroom. I don't know many people who like bedrooms with large sliding glass doors leading to the outside and no room door... ::)

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #3562 on: February 22, 2013, 08:18:06 PM »
My theory is that perhaps they had the idea of making it a duplex, did a bit of work towards it but then changed their mind.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Samantha

• Blah Blah Blah. Insert witty comment here!
« Reply #3563 on: February 22, 2013, 09:15:59 PM »
When I was house hunting last year, I saw a gorgeous house that was on the lower end of my price range. I set up an appointment with a realtor to view the place. It was listed as a three bedroom, two bath home.

Technically, it was a ZERO bedroom, two bath home. The master bedroom was a loft, and only had two full walls (one wall was a partial, the other was a balcony railing overlooking the foyer/entrance). At first, we thought it was a second living room on the second floor (with a balcony!), but it turned out that the other two rooms upstairs were the master bathroom and a walk-in closet!

The main level of the home had a kitchen, dining room, living room, and a side room that would have been perfect as an office off the living room.

The other two "bedrooms" were in the walk-out basement... Which meant that they couldn't actually be marketed as bedrooms, based on what my realtor said about state housing regulations. So according to regulations, the house was a zero bedroom.

(C) Get Fuzzy 5.13.07

mmswm

« Reply #3564 on: February 22, 2013, 09:24:41 PM »
I'm really enjoying the house hunting stories, but I don't want this thread to close because it got derailed.  I just started a house hunting horror story thread so we can keep swapping these stories. :)
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Jocelyn

« Reply #3565 on: February 22, 2013, 09:26:59 PM »
Our house was listed as a 3-bedroom, 1 bath--I guess because the dining room has a closet they felt they could list it as a bedroom. I don't know many people who like bedrooms with large sliding glass doors leading to the outside and no room door... ::)
I have a friend who went to see a 2-br apartment. It turned out the dining room had a closet, so they were calling it a bedroom. Except that there was a huge arched opening into the living room, and you had to go through the dining room to get from the living room to the kitchen. The 'other' bedroom was off the kitchen, and the bathroom was off the bedroom. There was only about a 4'section of the dining room that was not visible from the living room, and that was the corner where the closet was. Yep, a really practical second bedroom.

dawnfire

« Reply #3566 on: February 23, 2013, 06:57:34 PM »

We have a friend who lived in a house like that (until the elderly lady downstairs died - now he owns the whole thing).

my relatives live in a setup like that.  my grandmother and single aunt lived upstairs. my uncle and his family lived downstairs. 
Whittlesea Victoria

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #3567 on: February 23, 2013, 10:37:12 PM »

my relatives live in a setup like that.  my grandmother and single aunt lived upstairs. my uncle and his family lived downstairs.

A friend of mine lives in a similar set up. A tiny old lady lives in the downstairs, he lives in the upstairs. And her children apparently live VERY far away (since they only visit once every four or five months as far as he can tell) yet seem to feel that his very presence in their mother's home (She owns the whole thing and he rents from her.) is horrible and leave nasty notes all over his door when they do visit.

He is hoping that will stop now. He has to walk through the woman's hallway to get to his front door and about two weeks ago, coming home from a weekend visit somewhere, heard something weird when he did. Her kids often yell at him to stay away from their mother's part of the home, but he rarely listens, so he went searching for the sound, figuring the woman's cat was stuck in a cabnet (again) and the old lady was at a social function. (She is fine with him letting her cat loose if it gets trapped)

It wasn't. It was the old lady sprawled in her bathroom, more or less worn out. Thankfully she is fine now (well, a broken leg isn't fine, but she's cheerfully getting around on a cane) but he says his heart about stopped when he opened the door.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #3568 on: February 23, 2013, 10:45:48 PM »
Thank God he found her! I hope her family treats her better.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Kimblee

• I look good in white....
  • "Hugs don't go Boom." "They don't? Since when?"
    • My Blog
« Reply #3569 on: February 24, 2013, 03:26:00 PM »
Thank God he found her! I hope her family treats her better.

Oddly, while her family visited her in the hospital they tried to put his name on the "Do Not Visit" list. Yet the place called HIM to come pick her up when she was ready to go home. (He had to borrow his sister's car, all he has is a motorcycle. Funny Part: His sister wants him to ask the lady what perfume she wears because she keeps smelling it on the passenger seat and wants to buy a bottle. Friend has no idea how to ask this question without it sounding creepy.)

He says he loves his landlady, would do anything for her, but he's starting to really despise her kids.

Not really funny but cute: He says the lady's cat about had a fit when he brought her home. He had to pick it up and carry it until she could sit down. He was afraid its "welcoming" might knock the woman over.