Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1273640 times)

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3600 on: February 27, 2013, 01:08:41 PM »
I need to replace my phone as it is failing and has a large gouge on the screen.

I ordered a phone for $186 from MobilePCdotcom and placed the order at 6 AM EST on 2/21. My account was charged on 2/21. According to their website they ship within one business day, but as of 4 PM EST 2/22, it had not yet been shipped. I sent an email and received a run around response from Yvonne. Later, a tracking number was sent. I found it curious that the shipment had not been received by UPS. I sent yet another email 2/26 asking why the tracking number was not valid and after sending that email, it magically showed as being shipped yesterday. I find it very poor business practice to not hold up the policies listed on a company's website. For them to play the game of printing a label three days before shipping the product. I need to buy two more phones, but it won't be from MobilePC.

hjaye

« Reply #3601 on: February 27, 2013, 02:12:37 PM »
I don't know if this is a never shopping there again, but I'm certainly put out at the way they've done this.

I've always wanted to learn to speak a second language, I know a little bit of Spanish, not enough to converse, just small bits and pieces.  I ordered an at home course through Pimsleur, it was only ten dollars.  Of course, as I was placing the order, it kept trying to upsell me to their Gold package, and other things so the ten dollars would end being 10 times that amount, or more.  I refused, I wanted to see how far I would get with their ten dollar course.

I received the disks and have started to go through them, it's simple enough, don't know yet if it's going to really help me become more proficient.  The first few lessons have gone over things I already knew, but that's ok. 

I got a package in the mail yesterday, I had no idea what it was.  I opened it up to find the Pimsleur Approach Gold Edition.  Congratulations it says, here is my free trial opportunity to see if I like their Gold Edition.  I don't have to do anything, just keep it, and in thirty days, they will automatically charge my credit card the first of three payments of 64.00 dollars.  Then in 60 days, I'll get the next level of their Gold edition.  I can of course cancel at any time, and they'll tell me how to return the material.

So now I have to take the time to make sure I call and cancel, and then I have to take the time to get everything packaged up and bring it to the post office to ship it back.  I'm assuming they will be paying the postage, but I'm really not happy with their approach to this at all.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #3602 on: February 27, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
You might want to check your local laws and with your cc company. It may turn out to be a gift.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3603 on: February 27, 2013, 02:18:27 PM »
Agree with Morticia, but in any case I'd definitely warn the credit card company that you did NOT authorize any charges beyond the initial $10.00.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3604 on: February 27, 2013, 02:19:59 PM »
I don't think you're required to return something that was mailed to you unrequested.

(But that probably gets into a legal area - check your local laws and see.)

Midge

« Reply #3605 on: February 27, 2013, 02:28:33 PM »
I don't know if this is a never shopping there again, but I'm certainly put out at the way they've done this.

I've always wanted to learn to speak a second language, I know a little bit of Spanish, not enough to converse, just small bits and pieces.  I ordered an at home course through Pimsleur, it was only ten dollars.  Of course, as I was placing the order, it kept trying to upsell me to their Gold package, and other things so the ten dollars would end being 10 times that amount, or more.  I refused, I wanted to see how far I would get with their ten dollar course.

I received the disks and have started to go through them, it's simple enough, don't know yet if it's going to really help me become more proficient.  The first few lessons have gone over things I already knew, but that's ok. 

I got a package in the mail yesterday, I had no idea what it was.  I opened it up to find the Pimsleur Approach Gold Edition.  Congratulations it says, here is my free trial opportunity to see if I like their Gold Edition.  I don't have to do anything, just keep it, and in thirty days, they will automatically charge my credit card the first of three payments of 64.00 dollars.  Then in 60 days, I'll get the next level of their Gold edition.  I can of course cancel at any time, and they'll tell me how to return the material.

So now I have to take the time to make sure I call and cancel, and then I have to take the time to get everything packaged up and bring it to the post office to ship it back.  I'm assuming they will be paying the postage, but I'm really not happy with their approach to this at all.

I've had my eye on Pimsleur (want to brush up on my French, and try Spanish); I'll take this as a warning because I'm NOT spending hundreds to do so.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3606 on: February 27, 2013, 02:49:54 PM »

I've had my eye on Pimsleur (want to brush up on my French, and try Spanish); I'll take this as a warning because I'm NOT spending hundreds to do so.

I had a similar incident with a magazine I had a subscription to. They also put out "special" books a couple times a year, and were telling me oh, we will send it to you, and you can look at it, and if you want it, do nothing, and we'll simply charge your cc. I told them no, DO NOT send it to me, I am not interested at all.

They reiterated but you can just send it back! I then firmly told them do not send it to me, I do not want it, and why should I have to take time out of my life to send it back. And if they DID send it to me, since I specifically said I do not want it, and do not send it, I would be keeping it as a gift. The rep got quite snippy and hung up on me, but I never did receive the book.

mmswm

« Reply #3607 on: February 27, 2013, 02:52:31 PM »
Agree with Morticia, but in any case I'd definitely warn the credit card company that you did NOT authorize any charges beyond the initial $10.00.

At the very least the CC company should have some policy that allows you to unauthorize any charges by a specific company. The problem with this is many shady companies use several different company codes so if one doesn't work, they run it through with another.  This is one of the reasons why stop pays on e-checks can be so difficult.  The processes are similar, so I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

Morrigan

• Requests from the Reference Desk
« Reply #3608 on: February 28, 2013, 10:35:54 AM »
For the language people: check out your local library.  Look for "Mango Languages".  It's a free language learning website.  Two different complete courses (traveler/basic and advanced/to learn everything).  Lots of different languages, really easy to use.  And free.

hjaye

« Reply #3609 on: February 28, 2013, 10:55:09 AM »

At the very least the CC company should have some policy that allows you to unauthorize any charges by a specific company. The problem with this is many shady companies use several different company codes so if one doesn't work, they run it through with another.  This is one of the reasons why stop pays on e-checks can be so difficult.  The processes are similar, so I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I'll have to check with my bank, since I used my debit card for the initial payment.  I very rarely use credit for anything, I like to pay as I go.

tiff019

« Reply #3610 on: February 28, 2013, 10:38:17 PM »
I need to replace my phone as it is failing and has a large gouge on the screen.

I ordered a phone for $186 from MobilePCdotcom and placed the order at 6 AM EST on 2/21. My account was charged on 2/21. According to their website they ship within one business day, but as of 4 PM EST 2/22, it had not yet been shipped. I sent an email and received a run around response from Yvonne. Later, a tracking number was sent. I found it curious that the shipment had not been received by UPS. I sent yet another email 2/26 asking why the tracking number was not valid and after sending that email, it magically showed as being shipped yesterday. I find it very poor business practice to not hold up the policies listed on a company's website. For them to play the game of printing a label three days before shipping the product. I need to buy two more phones, but it won't be from MobilePC.

Sometimes the delay in the shipping label tracking info showing up is on the part of the shipping company (UPS, FedEx etc) Until the parcel is scanned, it generally doesn't show up. I had a package ship out yesterday 2 day, and the tracking info wouldn't show up until today - some sort of 1 day til it was active  (the company I purchased from was kind enough to let me know that). It doesn't excuse the company you bought from not shipping within 24 hours like promised - but could explain the tracking not being available right away.

Seven Ate Nine

« Reply #3611 on: March 01, 2013, 07:59:07 AM »

I'll have to check with my bank, since I used my debit card for the initial payment.  I very rarely use credit for anything, I like to pay as I go.

I used to do that as well, until the time that my debit card number got stolen.  If your CC number gets stolen, you're out that amount of credit until it gets fixed.  When your debit card number gets stolen, you're out that amount of cash.  Thankfully my bank took quick action on it, but ever since then I use a CC when I make online purchases, just to not have to worry about my bank account getting drained.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3612 on: March 01, 2013, 08:30:53 AM »

I used to do that as well, until the time that my debit card number got stolen.  If your CC number gets stolen, you're out that amount of credit until it gets fixed.  When your debit card number gets stolen, you're out that amount of cash.  Thankfully my bank took quick action on it, but ever since then I use a CC when I make online purchases, just to not have to worry about my bank account getting drained.

That's exactly why I never use my debit card online either. I was trying to explain this logic to a friend, but they just weren't getting it. They kep saying but the bank will give you the money back. Well, yes, but maybe not right away, whereas a cc company will simply "suspend" the charge until they investigate, and you're not responsible for paying it. And if someone did steal your number, in the end, you shouldn't be responsible for the charge.

Just like to me, if someone gets a hold of your credit card #, and uses it, yes, its identify theft, but to me, its not as serious as someone getting ahold of ALL your personal info, SS#, etc. and opening accounts, pretending to be you.  If someone gets your card, you can just call the cc company, cancel the card, and let them take it from there.  With your entire identity, from what I understand, its much more difficult to prove you didn't open those accounts, and get them taken off your credit report.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3613 on: March 01, 2013, 09:55:33 AM »
As a bank employee, I agree with everything about about credit card vs. debit card.  I encourage everybody to use a credit card and just pay it off at the end.  Besides what was already mentioned, a merchant can also put a hold on your funds (anywhere from one dollar, to hundreds of dollars) and you can't use your own money until the hold expires.  The hold can still be there even after the real payment is paid.  The bank can't help you since it's the merchant putting the hold on, not the bank. 

To be on topic, explaining a hold hurt many a customers' brains.  eta: wrong thread  :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 11:53:51 AM by rose red »

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3614 on: March 01, 2013, 11:27:02 AM »
As a bank employee, I agree with everything about about credit card vs. debit card.  I encourage everybody to use a credit card and just pay it off at the end.  Besides what was already mentioned, a merchant can also put a hold on your funds (anywhere from one dollar, to hundreds of dollars) and you can't use your own money until the hold expires.  The hold can still be there even after the real payment is paid.  The bank can't help you since it's the merchant putting the hold on, not the bank. 

To be on topic, explaining a hold hurt many a customers' brains.

The problem is, for some of us, the debit card is the only credit card we can get.