News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

  • May 23, 2018, 07:35:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2997163 times)

0 Members and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

hjaye

  • Member
  • Posts: 1013
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3585 on: February 28, 2013, 09:55:09 AM »
Agree with Morticia, but in any case I'd definitely warn the credit card company that you did NOT authorize any charges beyond the initial $10.00.

At the very least the CC company should have some policy that allows you to unauthorize any charges by a specific company. The problem with this is many shady companies use several different company codes so if one doesn't work, they run it through with another.  This is one of the reasons why stop pays on e-checks can be so difficult.  The processes are similar, so I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I'll have to check with my bank, since I used my debit card for the initial payment.  I very rarely use credit for anything, I like to pay as I go.

tiff019

  • Member
  • Posts: 145
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3586 on: February 28, 2013, 09:38:17 PM »
I need to replace my phone as it is failing and has a large gouge on the screen.

I ordered a phone for $186 from MobilePCdotcom and placed the order at 6 AM EST on 2/21. My account was charged on 2/21. According to their website they ship within one business day, but as of 4 PM EST 2/22, it had not yet been shipped. I sent an email and received a run around response from Yvonne. Later, a tracking number was sent. I found it curious that the shipment had not been received by UPS. I sent yet another email 2/26 asking why the tracking number was not valid and after sending that email, it magically showed as being shipped yesterday. I find it very poor business practice to not hold up the policies listed on a company's website. For them to play the game of printing a label three days before shipping the product. I need to buy two more phones, but it won't be from MobilePC.

Sometimes the delay in the shipping label tracking info showing up is on the part of the shipping company (UPS, FedEx etc) Until the parcel is scanned, it generally doesn't show up. I had a package ship out yesterday 2 day, and the tracking info wouldn't show up until today - some sort of 1 day til it was active  (the company I purchased from was kind enough to let me know that). It doesn't excuse the company you bought from not shipping within 24 hours like promised - but could explain the tracking not being available right away.

Seven Ate Nine

  • Member
  • Posts: 811
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3587 on: March 01, 2013, 06:59:07 AM »
Agree with Morticia, but in any case I'd definitely warn the credit card company that you did NOT authorize any charges beyond the initial $10.00.

At the very least the CC company should have some policy that allows you to unauthorize any charges by a specific company. The problem with this is many shady companies use several different company codes so if one doesn't work, they run it through with another.  This is one of the reasons why stop pays on e-checks can be so difficult.  The processes are similar, so I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I'll have to check with my bank, since I used my debit card for the initial payment.  I very rarely use credit for anything, I like to pay as I go.

I used to do that as well, until the time that my debit card number got stolen.  If your CC number gets stolen, you're out that amount of credit until it gets fixed.  When your debit card number gets stolen, you're out that amount of cash.  Thankfully my bank took quick action on it, but ever since then I use a CC when I make online purchases, just to not have to worry about my bank account getting drained.

siamesecat2965

  • Member
  • Posts: 9319
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3588 on: March 01, 2013, 07:30:53 AM »
Agree with Morticia, but in any case I'd definitely warn the credit card company that you did NOT authorize any charges beyond the initial $10.00.

At the very least the CC company should have some policy that allows you to unauthorize any charges by a specific company. The problem with this is many shady companies use several different company codes so if one doesn't work, they run it through with another.  This is one of the reasons why stop pays on e-checks can be so difficult.  The processes are similar, so I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I'll have to check with my bank, since I used my debit card for the initial payment.  I very rarely use credit for anything, I like to pay as I go.

I used to do that as well, until the time that my debit card number got stolen.  If your CC number gets stolen, you're out that amount of credit until it gets fixed.  When your debit card number gets stolen, you're out that amount of cash.  Thankfully my bank took quick action on it, but ever since then I use a CC when I make online purchases, just to not have to worry about my bank account getting drained.

That's exactly why I never use my debit card online either. I was trying to explain this logic to a friend, but they just weren't getting it. They kep saying but the bank will give you the money back. Well, yes, but maybe not right away, whereas a cc company will simply "suspend" the charge until they investigate, and you're not responsible for paying it. And if someone did steal your number, in the end, you shouldn't be responsible for the charge.

Just like to me, if someone gets a hold of your credit card #, and uses it, yes, its identify theft, but to me, its not as serious as someone getting ahold of ALL your personal info, SS#, etc. and opening accounts, pretending to be you.  If someone gets your card, you can just call the cc company, cancel the card, and let them take it from there.  With your entire identity, from what I understand, its much more difficult to prove you didn't open those accounts, and get them taken off your credit report.

rose red

  • Member
  • Posts: 9953
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3589 on: March 01, 2013, 08:55:33 AM »
As a bank employee, I agree with everything about about credit card vs. debit card.  I encourage everybody to use a credit card and just pay it off at the end.  Besides what was already mentioned, a merchant can also put a hold on your funds (anywhere from one dollar, to hundreds of dollars) and you can't use your own money until the hold expires.  The hold can still be there even after the real payment is paid.  The bank can't help you since it's the merchant putting the hold on, not the bank. 

To be on topic, explaining a hold hurt many a customers' brains.  eta: wrong thread  :P
« Last Edit: March 01, 2013, 10:53:51 AM by rose red »

Diane AKA Traska

  • Member
  • Posts: 4704
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3590 on: March 01, 2013, 10:27:02 AM »
As a bank employee, I agree with everything about about credit card vs. debit card.  I encourage everybody to use a credit card and just pay it off at the end.  Besides what was already mentioned, a merchant can also put a hold on your funds (anywhere from one dollar, to hundreds of dollars) and you can't use your own money until the hold expires.  The hold can still be there even after the real payment is paid.  The bank can't help you since it's the merchant putting the hold on, not the bank. 

To be on topic, explaining a hold hurt many a customers' brains.

The problem is, for some of us, the debit card is the only credit card we can get.
Location:
Philadelphia, PA

Amanita

  • Member
  • Posts: 1468
  • San Francisco I miss you!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3591 on: March 01, 2013, 11:01:11 AM »
Yeah, I have a friend who can't get a credit card at all- she wants one with a low limit for online purchases, but can't get approved because she has no credit history and "doesn't make enough". And I have another friend who refuses to use credit cards at all, believing that credit card companies are all up to no good and looking to shaft people, even those who pay their bills off in full every month. She refuses to pay as much as a cent in interest, even to the extent of refusing student loans.

There's plenty of people out there who can't get credit cards, or who don't believe in them.

Virg

  • Member
  • Posts: 5412
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3592 on: March 01, 2013, 11:23:17 AM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"The problem is, for some of us, the debit card is the only credit card we can get."

Get a secured card.  It's limited to the amount of money you pay in to start, but there's no issue with credit rating because the balance is secured, and if it's stolen, you still don't have to worry that your bank account will get drained out.  For online pruchases with a low limit, it's a very reasonable answer.  Also, since it's secured, there can be no billing trickery, and no interest charges.

Virg

ica171

  • Member
  • Posts: 566
    • Must Add Fabric Softener
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3593 on: March 01, 2013, 11:38:48 AM »
Agree with Morticia, but in any case I'd definitely warn the credit card company that you did NOT authorize any charges beyond the initial $10.00.

At the very least the CC company should have some policy that allows you to unauthorize any charges by a specific company. The problem with this is many shady companies use several different company codes so if one doesn't work, they run it through with another.  This is one of the reasons why stop pays on e-checks can be so difficult.  The processes are similar, so I'd definitely be keeping an eye on it.

I'll have to check with my bank, since I used my debit card for the initial payment.  I very rarely use credit for anything, I like to pay as I go.

I used to do that as well, until the time that my debit card number got stolen.  If your CC number gets stolen, you're out that amount of credit until it gets fixed.  When your debit card number gets stolen, you're out that amount of cash.  Thankfully my bank took quick action on it, but ever since then I use a CC when I make online purchases, just to not have to worry about my bank account getting drained.

That's exactly why I never use my debit card online either. I was trying to explain this logic to a friend, but they just weren't getting it. They kep saying but the bank will give you the money back. Well, yes, but maybe not right away, whereas a cc company will simply "suspend" the charge until they investigate, and you're not responsible for paying it. And if someone did steal your number, in the end, you shouldn't be responsible for the charge.

Just like to me, if someone gets a hold of your credit card #, and uses it, yes, its identify theft, but to me, its not as serious as someone getting ahold of ALL your personal info, SS#, etc. and opening accounts, pretending to be you.  If someone gets your card, you can just call the cc company, cancel the card, and let them take it from there.  With your entire identity, from what I understand, its much more difficult to prove you didn't open those accounts, and get them taken off your credit report.

Actually, a bank has five days to issue a temporary credit if you say that a debit charge is fraudulent. Then they will conduct an investigation within a longer specified amount of time (maybe 60 days, I'm not sure on that one) and decide whether or not the charge is fraudulent. We went through that twice; once our actual debit card was stolen and once the number was stolen. No issues getting our money back either time.

Outdoor Girl

  • Member
  • Posts: 16769
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3594 on: March 01, 2013, 12:17:18 PM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"The problem is, for some of us, the debit card is the only credit card we can get."

Get a secured card.  It's limited to the amount of money you pay in to start, but there's no issue with credit rating because the balance is secured, and if it's stolen, you still don't have to worry that your bank account will get drained out.  For online pruchases with a low limit, it's a very reasonable answer.  Also, since it's secured, there can be no billing trickery, and no interest charges.

Virg

Is that the same as a pre-paid credit card?  Because that's what I was going to suggest.  And that way, they can't scam you for very much money because once the balance on the card is gone, you can't get blood from a stone.   :)
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

  • Member
  • Posts: 4704
  • Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3595 on: March 01, 2013, 12:23:41 PM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"The problem is, for some of us, the debit card is the only credit card we can get."

Get a secured card.  It's limited to the amount of money you pay in to start, but there's no issue with credit rating because the balance is secured, and if it's stolen, you still don't have to worry that your bank account will get drained out.  For online pruchases with a low limit, it's a very reasonable answer.  Also, since it's secured, there can be no billing trickery, and no interest charges.

Virg

Is that the same as a pre-paid credit card?  Because that's what I was going to suggest.  And that way, they can't scam you for very much money because once the balance on the card is gone, you can't get blood from a stone.   :)

As it turns out, however, they can turn you down for one.
Location:
Philadelphia, PA

Yvaine

  • Member
  • Posts: 10051
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3596 on: March 01, 2013, 12:26:01 PM »
Diane AKA Traska wrote:

"The problem is, for some of us, the debit card is the only credit card we can get."

Get a secured card.  It's limited to the amount of money you pay in to start, but there's no issue with credit rating because the balance is secured, and if it's stolen, you still don't have to worry that your bank account will get drained out.  For online pruchases with a low limit, it's a very reasonable answer.  Also, since it's secured, there can be no billing trickery, and no interest charges.

Virg

Is that the same as a pre-paid credit card?  Because that's what I was going to suggest.  And that way, they can't scam you for very much money because once the balance on the card is gone, you can't get blood from a stone.   :)

As it turns out, however, they can turn you down for one.

And some of the companies who issue them are skeezy. I kind of suspect them by default until I hear otherwise!

Outdoor Girl

  • Member
  • Posts: 16769
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3597 on: March 01, 2013, 12:29:52 PM »
Really?  Even if you have cash in hand and say, 'Give me this $400 on a prepaid credit card'?

That's just dumb (on the part of the bank).

I had a friend who was going to be living apart from her husband for a number of months for work.  She needed a credit card so she could put work purchases on it and keep them separate from her personal purchases.  Even though she'd been the one to do all the family finances, everything was in her husband's name.  The banks wouldn't give her a credit card.  She ended up getting a store card that had a gas station for a very low amount, like $500 available credit.  She had to make payments several times a month to keep the balance low enough on the months she did a lot of driving.  But after about 6 months, her limit was raised and she was able to get a regular bank credit card in her name.

In my last year of university, I was able to get a low balance credit card.  Best thing I ever did.  I was disciplined enough to pay it off each month and it let me start building a credit score.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

Virg

  • Member
  • Posts: 5412
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3598 on: March 01, 2013, 12:32:23 PM »
Outdoor Girl wrote:

"Is that the same as a pre-paid credit card?  Because that's what I was going to suggest.  And that way, they can't scam you for very much money because once the balance on the card is gone, you can't get blood from a stone."

It is, but the idea of "once the money is gone" doesn't directly fit with how a secured card works.  It's not like a prepaid debit card or gift card, where you put money in and then spend it out.  The amount you pay in is held as a deposit and that amount becomes your credit limit.  Then the company treats billing exactly like a credit card.  You charge stuff, they send you a bill, you pay it.  If you default on your payments, they can take it out of your deposit, so there's no need for creditworthiness checks to get one, and most companies that issue secured cards will release the deposit (turning the card into a standard credit card) after some span good payment behavior, so it's a good way for someone without credit history to create that history.  In any case, if you pay the balance on time there's never any interest to pay and there are plenty of companies that will issue a secured card with no fees, so you get a card to use that isn't directly tied to your bank account.

Virg

Outdoor Girl

  • Member
  • Posts: 16769
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3599 on: March 01, 2013, 12:41:36 PM »
Gotcha.  I don't know if those are available here; I've never needed one so I haven't looked into it.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario