Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1172931 times)

Starchasm

• And the mome raths outgrabe.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3660 on: March 07, 2013, 11:40:16 PM »
There's a small cafe in the building where I work that sells nice sandwiches, salads, and fresh brewed tea.  I noticed that they had been pretty empty lately but I didn't think much about it.

One morning, I wanted a coffee and went to the cafe.  The owner left as I went in and held the door for me to go inside.  I smiled and said hi.  Then I waited at the counter.  And waited.  I leaned over and yelled "Hello!" into the back, but no one answered.  I waited long enough to become uncomfortable.

Through the window I could see the owner chatting with the security guard at the front desk (and it was just chatting.  He was leaning against the desk and laughing).  I went back out the door and asked him, "Are you the only one here?"

"Yep!"  He said, with a friendly smile.

>:(

Gee, wonder why he isn't doing a brisk business.  Usually they're slow, but DANG, he held the door open for me to go in and let me just hang around like an idiot!

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #3661 on: March 08, 2013, 07:56:44 AM »
There's a small cafe in the building where I work that sells nice sandwiches, salads, and fresh brewed tea.  I noticed that they had been pretty empty lately but I didn't think much about it.

One morning, I wanted a coffee and went to the cafe.  The owner left as I went in and held the door for me to go inside.  I smiled and said hi.  Then I waited at the counter.  And waited.  I leaned over and yelled "Hello!" into the back, but no one answered.  I waited long enough to become uncomfortable.

Through the window I could see the owner chatting with the security guard at the front desk (and it was just chatting.  He was leaning against the desk and laughing).  I went back out the door and asked him, "Are you the only one here?"

"Yep!"  He said, with a friendly smile.

>:(

Gee, wonder why he isn't doing a brisk business.  Usually they're slow, but DANG, he held the door open for me to go in and let me just hang around like an idiot!

You could cross-post this to professional Darwinism! That's so crazy it makes me wonder if he wants his business to fail? Why not just close up or sell it if you're burned out? I guess because then you wouldn't have any excuse to go hang out with the other building employees all day?  :P

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3662 on: March 08, 2013, 08:13:13 AM »
A friend of mine had a theory on that when I told her about a bible-thumping New Age store owner who had gone off on how wrong Catholicism is because it's so pagan.  (yeah, that coming from a New Age store owner-talk about brain hurts) I wondered to my friend why they'd alienate a customer like that.

Friend's theory is that some people get tired of running their own business but they don't want to be accused of being a quitter so they sabotage themselves and then blame the poor economy.

The business is still going so maybe she just had a bad day, but I haven't been back since.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3663 on: March 08, 2013, 11:01:48 AM »
JenJay wrote:

"You could cross-post this to professional Darwinism! That's so crazy it makes me wonder if he wants his business to fail? Why not just close up or sell it if you're burned out?"

I can come up with several reasons.  Maybe he's sold the business but the new owner hasn't come in yet so he doesn't care about losing clitentele.  Maybe he's lost a settlement and he's sticking it to the new owner.  Maybe the business is buried in debt, but he can't "quit" before declaring bankruptcy or he risks lawsuits, so he's just letting the business implode so he can walk away.  I've seen aspects of all three of these back when I was working in the bank.

Virg

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3664 on: March 08, 2013, 08:57:49 PM »
Our building has a franchise shop that sells smoothies, sandwiches and cookies. They started out strong, with plenty of employees, good service and decent food. Then the prices began to rise, service fell, and they started running out of things. Service is usually bad, because only one person will take and ring up orders, the rest stand around in the back.

In December, their soda machine broke, and they didn't fix it until the end of January. They ran out of bananas, eggs (they serve breakfast), and cookie dough for about three weeks.

They have lost the business of our office, and remain open solely due to the lack of other options in walking distance.

snowdragon

« Reply #3665 on: March 09, 2013, 09:41:22 PM »
Joann's Fabrics.   I went to the one on Niagara Falls Bvld yesterday found some material and went and got the little ticket with a number and waited for my turn. The screen said they were serving 94 and I had 95 so I should have been next.  Well one clerk finished up with her customer and another simply by passed the ticket machine, put their stuff on the cutting table and the clerk just took them! I said, "excuse me, I was next" and got ignored, so then the second clerk finished and someone walks over and says, I need something from over in another area, and that clerk leaves!  I protested again, and got told to wait and Devinica would help me in a minute.  Devinica took care of her person ( and it took a while) and took care of me, but I was ticked.
  And yes, at this point I did talk to the manager - why have the machine if that ticket means nothing?

So today my SIL and I went to sign up for classes and look for material  for her daughter's Easter dress. While we were looking at fabric a clerk walks up next to us, pulls something down and pulls two bolts of fabric fall and hit me in the face.  Not so much as an apology,excuse me or are you ok, from the clerk.  So found the material and I was paying for it ( my Easter gift to my niece but it needs mom's approval on material) and the first thing I said to the cashier was I also need to sign up for classes. She brushed off that comment and I figured she'd take care of the classes when I was done paying - wrong.  While she was checking me out another cashier yells over that some woman who had by passed the rest of the line and just walked over needed to sign up for class. So I reminded the cashier that  I had also said at the beginning of the transaction that I needed to sign up for one too.  She looked me straight in the face and said  "I have that other lady first, you'll have to wait".   I replied with I had already waited and she was still in the middle of my transaction, so why did I have to wait again? And she simply repeated I had to wait.
  I demanded a manager, told her I wanted my money back and why.  While I am telling her this the manager, told me twice "It's ok" - umm, no it's not.  I walked out of there and immediately called 411 and got the customer service # for Joann's and called it.  While that girl was apologetic and sweet, the damage had been done.  I did leave a phone # for the district manager to call but this very little that will bring me back to that store.

Nikko-chan

« Reply #3666 on: March 09, 2013, 09:53:30 PM »
not one from me, but one from SunshineMom! She and my aunt were out today shopping (one big shopping trip to stock up on some things for the year. so that means they get ten of this, twelve of that, etc.) They get to the register, and get checked out, mom goes to slide her debit card,can't find a machine, and the cashier goes "Oh we only take cash, check or SpecificCreditCard" O.o mom said "cancel my order" and they both left, and mom said she won't return.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3667 on: March 10, 2013, 12:11:21 PM »
not one from me, but one from SunshineMom! She and my aunt were out today shopping (one big shopping trip to stock up on some things for the year. so that means they get ten of this, twelve of that, etc.) They get to the register, and get checked out, mom goes to slide her debit card,can't find a machine, and the cashier goes "Oh we only take cash, check or SpecificCreditCard" O.o mom said "cancel my order" and they both left, and mom said she won't return.

We shop at Aldi, but the first time I went in there I walked out without my stuff because they only take cash or debit (they now take Discover but I don't think they did at the time). I didn't see anything on the door saying that; it's apparently something you're just supposed to know. At the time, I did say "I'm never shopping THERE again" but I went back several years later.

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #3668 on: March 10, 2013, 03:10:21 PM »

It's funny how so many of the stores in this thread have been repeats! Yesterday I was reading a list of stores with the worst customer service records, and couldn't help but thinking of this thread.  I don't have any major gripes about any stores in particular, but stores that don't put enough cashiers on the registers drive me insane. 

P.S.-snowdragon, your story sounded familiar-check this out! Another bad Joann's story.  http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=29034.0

Amara

« Reply #3669 on: March 10, 2013, 10:25:33 PM »

We shop at Aldi, but the first time I went in there I walked out without my stuff because they only take cash or debit (they now take Discover but I don't think they did at the time). I didn't see anything on the door saying that; it's apparently something you're just supposed to know. At the time, I did say "I'm never shopping THERE again" but I went back several years later.

Funny these. There is a local crafts store here that is similar to Michael's. Wanting to support local business, I went in a few months ago to have a photograph framed. Turns out they accept only cash or credit cards. No checks, no debit cards. I paid with a credit card that time but was quite unhappy about it so they lose. Michael's it is in the future.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3670 on: March 11, 2013, 01:39:47 PM »
Amara wrote:

"Funny these. There is a local crafts store here that is similar to Michael's. Wanting to support local business, I went in a few months ago to have a photograph framed. Turns out they accept only cash or credit cards. No checks, no debit cards. I paid with a credit card that time but was quite unhappy about it so they lose. Michael's it is in the future."

This stance perplexes me since every debit card that's attached to the VISA or Mastercard network can be run as a credit card, so barring very few debit cards that shouldn't present an issue.

Virg

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3671 on: March 11, 2013, 01:48:07 PM »
Amara wrote:

"Funny these. There is a local crafts store here that is similar to Michael's. Wanting to support local business, I went in a few months ago to have a photograph framed. Turns out they accept only cash or credit cards. No checks, no debit cards. I paid with a credit card that time but was quite unhappy about it so they lose. Michael's it is in the future."

This stance perplexes me since every debit card that's attached to the VISA or Mastercard network can be run as a credit card, so barring very few debit cards that shouldn't present an issue.

Virg

I'm also confused, because isn't there a fee associated with credit cards that's not associated with debit cards?

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3672 on: March 11, 2013, 02:39:28 PM »
Amara wrote:

Virg

I'm also confused, because isn't there a fee associated with credit cards that's not associated with debit cards?

Those fees are so confusing... my one bank's debit card has a $0.25(US) fee every time you use it as a debit card - but if I use it as a credit card, it's free. For my credit union, there's no fees, but I earn rewards for CC-type usage but not when I enter my PIN. So I am guessing there are different processing charges associated with credit vs. debit.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3673 on: March 11, 2013, 03:45:01 PM »

Those fees are so confusing... my one bank's debit card has a $0.25(US) fee every time you use it as a debit card - but if I use it as a credit card, it's free. For my credit union, there's no fees, but I earn rewards for CC-type usage but not when I enter my PIN. So I am guessing there are different processing charges associated with credit vs. debit.

I'm not sure, but I think that when you use a debit card, if there's a fee you are the one paying it.  When it's used as a credit card, the credit card company/bank charges the store a small percentage, not you.

Margo

« Reply #3674 on: March 11, 2013, 03:48:18 PM »
Amara wrote:

Virg

This could be the difference. If you pay the fee, it's cheaper for the store. If it's free for you, they're almost certainly paying a processing fee. I can't speak for the US but here in the UK this can be a problem for smaller businesses as they don't have the clout to negotiate a better deal with the bank.