Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1161430 times)

LazyDaisy

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3675 on: March 11, 2013, 04:01:01 PM »
I think it has more to do with the possibility of a personal check or debit transaction "bouncing." There can be a slight delay on debit card reconciliation on the business end -- approval at the time of transaction doesn't mean the funds are taken out right on the spot. I know that when I make a debit card purchase over a holiday or weekend, when the banks are closed, it doesn't show up until the banks reopen and they process the debit. If I went wild over a weekend, it's possible that on Monday, when they go to reconcile all of my purchases, my account becomes overdrawn and my debit transactions bounce. On a credit card, the business might have a bit of "insurance" that the CC company will cover the purchase and go after their card holder themselves. Maybe no such agreement occurs on a debit transaction.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Amara

« Reply #3676 on: March 11, 2013, 04:19:54 PM »
Debit card transactions are not taken out right away? I didn't know that. It seems as if the money is gone as soon as you approve it. See's Candies, for example, will take your check. But then they process it so it becomes a debit transaction and then hand you the check back. (I no longer bother to write checks to them; waste of paper.)

And honestly I have no idea why this craft store takes credit cards but no debit cards. At the time I was totally confused, and asked the clerk three times if I was hearing right. Now, I just go elsewhere.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #3677 on: March 11, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
Some debit transactions come out of my account right away, within minutes. Some, like gas, put a hold on and then the full amount comes out a few days later. Some don't come out at all for a few days, like if I buy something over the weekend. And that's at major stores--I'm pretty sure I've had Target and Wal-Mart charges not post until Monday. So it seems like if that was a worry for a business it would be possible to make sure the debit charges come out right away, but I'm not sure how.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3678 on: March 11, 2013, 05:11:16 PM »
Some debit transactions come out of my account right away, within minutes. Some, like gas, put a hold on and then the full amount comes out a few days later. Some don't come out at all for a few days, like if I buy something over the weekend. And that's at major stores--I'm pretty sure I've had Target and Wal-Mart charges not post until Monday. So it seems like if that was a worry for a business it would be possible to make sure the debit charges come out right away, but I'm not sure how.
I don't think the business can do it though, that would be up to all of the various banks and credit unions that their customers might use. I bet the business has been burned in the past and decided it wasn't worth the risk.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Jules1980

« Reply #3679 on: March 11, 2013, 08:08:19 PM »
Also, some banks charge the store a service charge on debit transactions.  The gas station near me won't accept a debit charge for less than 5 dollars since it has to be at least that much (well, that's the nearest dollar) for them to make a profit on it after service charges.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3680 on: March 11, 2013, 09:08:26 PM »
According to the merchant agreement between the merchant and the card company, they can't require a minimum charge for debit purchases, although a small minimum is allowed for credit purchases. If you report them, they will lose their ability to process those payments.

http://www.cardfellow.com/blog/minimum-charge-credit-card-purchase

Kaymyth

« Reply #3681 on: March 11, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »
I don't think the business can do it though, that would be up to all of the various banks and credit unions that their customers might use. I bet the business has been burned in the past and decided it wasn't worth the risk.

It varies pretty wildly, depending on the merchant's POS processor and which companies are processing the bank cards.  Everyone's got a slightly different setup.  Some will hit the credit lines on authorization, and some for whatever odd reason won't show up until the merchant has settled the transactions in their device.  In the latter case, it can sometimes take even longer, because the transactions have to process through the merchant's POS provider and then get sent on to the various credit card companies.

Example:  self-serve gas pumps will dial in for pre-authorization and may put a "hold" on the card.  This hold can vary from $1 to $100 (or more), and is actually set by the merchant in the software at the pump.  Once the pump settles out and the transactions process through, the hold will resolve to the actual amount pumped.

Jules1980

« Reply #3682 on: March 12, 2013, 02:44:51 AM »
According to the merchant agreement between the merchant and the card company, they can't require a minimum charge for debit purchases, although a small minimum is allowed for credit purchases. If you report them, they will lose their ability to process those payments.

http://www.cardfellow.com/blog/minimum-charge-credit-card-purchase

Didn't know that. Interesting.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3683 on: March 12, 2013, 09:44:50 AM »
My husband's business was reported for having a minimum, and had to meet with agents from Visa.

Sebastienne

« Reply #3684 on: March 13, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
Last week, I made an appointment to take my car into a local shop for an oil change/tire rotation/state inspection. The owner gave me a call when it was done (except, apparently for the inspection, because I'd made an appointment on the inspector's day off. Which--huh.). He asked about the car "shuddering." I thought he was talking about how it was a little choppy when changing gears, but when I got the car back (after paying over $80 for the oil change/rotation),  I understood what he meant. It was obviously misfiring, and in the three block drive back to my house, it stalled twice, and the check engine light came on.

I brought it back to the shop, he ran diagnostics (for $90), and said that the problem was with the air intake sensor on the engine, and repairs would be around $500. And this couldn't possibly be caused by the oil change, even though my car (with 6,000 whole miles on it) has never shown symptoms of this before.

The car is still under warranty, so instead, I had it towed to the nearest dealer. The problem? The oil cap wasn't tight enough. Which caused oil to leak. Which caused airflow problems. Which caused the misfiring.

Hulk smash.

An update: I finally had a chance to go back to the mechanic's today, with the report from my dealership. Even after reading it, the mechanic fully denied that the oil change caused the problem. It was impossible. Oil would have leaked everywhere! I noted that the dealer said the oil was almost empty. "Impossible!"

Still, he gave me a $100 store credit. Which is something, I guess. But what are the odds, really, of me bringing my car back to a place I can't trust to change the oil?

Minmom3

« Reply #3685 on: March 13, 2013, 08:50:22 PM »
Well, if we're taking guesses here, I'd have to say ZIP.  For them to maintain a refusal of responsibility even in the face of evidence means they cannot be trusted.  Cars are too expensive to take to people to act that way.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

snowfire

« Reply #3686 on: March 13, 2013, 10:23:21 PM »
Sadly, more common than I would like to think.  The mother of a friend had her car in for an oil change and when she got it back she was driving back to their home in the country.  Engine light and oil pressure light came on and within a mile the engine seized up completely.  She had it towed in and it turned out the oil plug at the bottom of the pan was completely missing and oil was splattered all over the bottom of the car.  It was obvious that the plug had not been put back in properly, yet the mechanic denied up, down and sideways that the oil change had anything to do with the missing plug and seized engine.  She was NOT HAPPY.  I can't remember nonw if they ended up taking the mechanic to small claims court or not, but they never went back & I'm sure they spread the word about said mechanic.

mrs_deb

• I didn't expect THAT to happen!
« Reply #3687 on: March 14, 2013, 12:12:02 AM »
That last story reminded me - we'll never go to VIP Auto again.  We had the oil changed there (cheaper than going to the mechanic...we thought) and one dark rainy night soonafter heard a loud "pop" while in the middle of the highway, all the idiot lights came on, and the car started losing power.  By the time we made it to the shoulder, it was dead.  It had to be towed to our mechanic.

The next day our mechanic called and noted this could have been because there was no oil filter on the car and therefore no oil...and the engine was seized and junk. 

Mr_Deb went back and drove slowly along the highway where we'd heard the pop and found the darn oil filter on the median.  Our mechanic checked its type (VIP branded filter, not available in stores, but mechanics have ways) and discovered that they had put the 'sedan' or 'coupe' version of the oil filter on our 'convertible' version car during the oil change - totally different engine, different filter - and since it was the wrong type, it had just come off.

The car was then towed to VIP who argued that it couldn't possibly be their fault...until presented with the filter as evidence.  Oops.

It took weeks for them to decide how they were going to reimburse us.  Corporate told Mr_Deb they'd pay him blue book value, so he went out and bought a new car...and then they changed their minds and said they'd just replace the engine.  And of course it had to be a used engine, since the car wasn't new...which took forever to find...it was a couple months in process, and then we had to sell the old car because we'd already replaced it...and frankly, I won't go there even to buy windscreen washer fluid now.

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3688 on: March 14, 2013, 12:06:36 PM »
Sometimes a business can have excellent customer service and I still won't go back. All of the mechanic stories remind me of my experience with Sears Auto. I had the brake pads changed on my car. I was almost home when I go to step on the brake and it won't move -- the opposite of it went to the floor -- they've seized up like cement. I pull the emergency hand brake (thank goodness that worked) and stop in time for the light, then turn off onto a side street so I'm not on the very busy main road. After I stopped shaking, I called Sears and spoke to the manager, he and a mechanic (I don't know if it was the same guy who worked on my car) drove out to where I was (about 15 miles away) checked it out on the side of the road then towed my car back to Sears. Only the problem turned out to be more than this shop could handle so they sent it to another Sears Auto, which takes 4 days to fix the issue. Turns out, they didn't install the new pads properly and this caused the brake assist to fail. The managers of both stores were very honest and apologetic, and I didn't have to argue about it being their fault. I wasn't charged for any of the repairs and had access to another car so I didn't need a rental either. They had great customer service, and I didn't feel like they were trying to rip me off, but I won't ever go to Sears Auto again. Having my brakes fail scared me too much to risk it.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3689 on: March 14, 2013, 12:24:58 PM »
Sometimes a business can have excellent customer service and I still won't go back. All of the mechanic stories remind me of my experience with Sears Auto. I had the brake pads changed on my car. I was almost home when I go to step on the brake and it won't move -- the opposite of it went to the floor -- they've seized up like cement. I pull the emergency hand brake (thank goodness that worked) and stop in time for the light, then turn off onto a side street so I'm not on the very busy main road. After I stopped shaking, I called Sears and spoke to the manager, he and a mechanic (I don't know if it was the same guy who worked on my car) drove out to where I was (about 15 miles away) checked it out on the side of the road then towed my car back to Sears. Only the problem turned out to be more than this shop could handle so they sent it to another Sears Auto, which takes 4 days to fix the issue. Turns out, they didn't install the new pads properly and this caused the brake assist to fail. The managers of both stores were very honest and apologetic, and I didn't have to argue about it being their fault. I wasn't charged for any of the repairs and had access to another car so I didn't need a rental either. They had great customer service, and I didn't feel like they were trying to rip me off, but I won't ever go to Sears Auto again. Having my brakes fail scared me too much to risk it.

I don't blame you on bit, but kudos to Sears Auto for stepping up, admitting their mistakes, and fixing it for you.