Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270798 times)

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3780 on: April 03, 2013, 08:18:07 PM »
We get these guys:

Warning:  not for the arachnophobic!

http://australianmuseum.net.au/Huntsman-Spiders

I don't mind them, as long as they stay up high, but Housemate is terrified of them, so I must be the Great Spider Huntress.  At least the ones here are smaller than the ones I used to get in the semi-tropics - larger than a man's outstretched hand.  You could have put a lead on it and taken it for walkies!   :o

Back on topic - having issues with a certain brand of air conditioner at the moment.  Had my one-year installed unit fail dramatically, the company that does the warranty work replaced the whole thing.  The brand new air con unit lasted 5 days.  Sigh.  The tech is at home this morning trying to see what's wrong (same error messages as the old unit) so I will wait for the verdict before I name names.

Amara

« Reply #3781 on: April 03, 2013, 10:04:39 PM »
Julian, I loved reading (and rereading) Bill Bryson's In a Sunburned Country, and one of the things I loved most about it was the descriptions of the flora and fauna--the "proto ants" to the largest earthworm in the world to the shells and snakes and spiders that have venom far beyond their own dietary needs. Utterly fascinating even if I would prefer not to meet most of them in person.

Julian

• I lost it between Thriller and Gangnam Style...
« Reply #3782 on: April 03, 2013, 10:14:01 PM »
Amara, it must have been a very challenging experience for the first colonists.

Heck, it's challenging enough sometimes even for those of us born here!   ;D  There's nothing quite like finding a very large snake curled up on the kitchen floor, particularly if you don't know if it's venemous or not!  (Thank you Morty, you're such a brave kitty bringing that in.  Oh, it's not dead?  Crivins!)

Having said that, though, I have to say our marsupials are gorgeous. 

Amara

« Reply #3783 on: April 03, 2013, 10:43:53 PM »
*laughing madly*

Yes, it's hard to imagine being one of the first colonists and deciding who in the group would see if that snake was edible.

"Oops! Marvin, you okay? Marvin? Marvin!!! Geez, guys, guess we better look elsewhere for dinner. Who knew something like that could happen in three seconds."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3784 on: April 03, 2013, 11:02:16 PM »
We get these guys:

Awww!  Who's a cutie!  You are, Spider!  Yes you are!  Yes you are!

Iris

« Reply #3785 on: April 04, 2013, 12:48:29 AM »
We get these guys:

Awww!  Who's a cutie!  You are, Spider!  Yes you are!  Yes you are!

We had a big huntsman living in our bathroom for AGES. My daughter named it Aragog and was really upset when it moved out. Compare that with my mother who kept me on the phone for half an hour one day because there was a huntsman near where she had to hang up. I believe I've told the story here before in more detail. I wonder how she manages to live in this country quite frankly, given how arachnophobic she is.

I trap and release into the wild 99% of the spiders I find indoors...but one day at our camp I saw one that was, I swear, the size of my clenched fist and there was NO WAY I was going to get close enough to put a drinking glass over THAT.

I still feel kinda bad about dispatching it.

I was at work one day and captured a harmless but large spider to release into the wild. One of the guys I was working with said to me, eyes as big as saucers "You are SOOOOO brave." Hilarious.  :D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3786 on: April 04, 2013, 07:23:20 AM »
One day, our student assistant came in, eyes wide, telling me about the "alligator" in the driveway for our building. I looked out one of the windows and and saw a large (10-15 lbs) soft shelled turtle. I went out to the car, grabbed an old towel, and used that with my hands to pick up the turtle and carry it to the pond nearby.

We rescue things all the time, and I look at it in a practical aspect. The turtle can pee on me and scratch me, but my hands are never near it's head close enough for it to bite me. However, I leave the alligator snapping turtles to DH and DS, they are scary!

Kariachi

« Reply #3787 on: April 04, 2013, 09:27:27 AM »
I don't know what my mother, sister and I would do if my dad wasn't around, 'cause he's the only one who can handle spiders without incapacitating terror.

Meanwhile, he needs us (namely me) to handle snakes for him 'cause eHell no.

There was a summer where I was the only one who could check the mail because a family of wasps had set up in our mailbox. I is the wasp-whisperer, always have been. We've got an understanding.

But even I lost it when I found a three-inch hornet in the kitchen. Normally a very safe person, that scared me so bad I momentarily forgot you don't mix ammonia and bleach.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

laud_shy_girl

« Reply #3788 on: April 04, 2013, 04:25:32 PM »
I don't know what my mother, sister and I would do if my dad wasn't around, 'cause he's the only one who can handle spiders without incapacitating terror.

There was a summer where I was the only one who could check the mail because a family of wasps had set up in our mailbox. I is the wasp-whisperer, always have been. We've got an understanding.

But even I lost it when I found a three-inch hornet in the kitchen. Normally a very safe person, that scared me so bad I momentarily forgot you don't mix ammonia and bleach.

I bet it took care of that hornet though?  ;D
“For too long, we've assumed that there is a single template for human nature, which is why we diagnose most deviations as disorders. But the reality is that there are many different kinds of minds. And that's a very good thing.” - Jonah Lehrer

Kariachi

« Reply #3789 on: April 04, 2013, 09:36:18 PM »

No. It did not.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #3790 on: April 04, 2013, 09:52:18 PM »

Hornets can only be dispatched via percussive therapy and screaming

Kariachi

« Reply #3791 on: April 04, 2013, 10:12:42 PM »

Hornets can only be dispatched via percussive therapy and screaming

I can't speak for the screaming, but dropping a box of stone tile on it worked wonders.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3792 on: April 04, 2013, 10:18:25 PM »

I can't speak for the screaming, but dropping a box of stone tile on it worked wonders.

Yep, percussive therapy!  Very brief session.   ;D

Minmom3

« Reply #3793 on: April 05, 2013, 12:19:05 AM »
I hope all you spider tale tellers are HAPPY that I'm going to have the Devil's own time getting between the sheets tonight.  I'm all tight in the back now and will be FLINGING ALL sheets on the bed open so I can see where I'm getting in....   :P  Completely creeped out, I am!

ETA - because I can't type.
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3794 on: April 05, 2013, 08:04:09 AM »
I hope all you spider tale tellers are HAPPY that I'm going to have the Devil's own time getting between the sheets tonight.  I'm all tight in the back now and will be FLINGING ALL sheets on the bed open so I can see where I'm getting in....   :P  Completely creeped out, I am!

ETA - because I can't type.

I'm right there with you! when I was a kid, there were times I was so afraid there was a a HUGE tarantula at the end of my bed, where the sheets tucked in, that I'd sleep in a fetal position all night, since I knew if I put my feet down, it woudl get me. yes, I am irrationally afraid of spiders, why do you ask?????