Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1094639 times)

Redneck Gravy

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3795 on: April 05, 2013, 10:51:16 AM »
Farmers Insurance Company - after 31 years they have deeply, deeply wronged me.   I will NEVER go back.

I use billpay through the bank to pay my monthly auto insurance (plus a number of other things).  I have three cars insured through Farmers.  One of the drivers is my teen daughter (I promise you, you never, ever want to be without coverage when you have a teen driver).

Apparently, the May 2012 payment did not arrive at Farmer's on time (I have since found out from BillPay that it must have been placed in the wrong PO box because it eventually came back to BillPay stamped NOT AT THIS ADDRESS and I have a copy of the envelope with the correct address).  The June payment was also mailed to the same address and it apparently arrived on time.  But because Farmers did not receive the May payment on time they cancelled our policy.  According to Farmers they mailed me a cancellation notice - I never received it, because believe me if I had I would have taken a check straight to my agent!  But when they received the June payment they reissued the coverage ???  My daughter bumped a car stopped in the turning lane while texting (still my daughter's fault, no question - no damage to her car) on June 5th, damage was $525

Because Farmers says we were without coverage on June 4th, 5th & 6th they will not pay this claim.  My agent is viligant about calling clients when they get a notice of cancellation in their office, they just missed us that month ("you fell through the crack" were his exact words) so Farmers is not going to pay.  My agent is terribly apologetic but it looks like I will have to pay for the damage.  The area supervisor (over my agent) asked, "why do you think you should be treated more special than other Farmer clients?"  30 Years of loyalty was my response and I can prove my premium was mailed on time and to the correct address, the post office must have put it in the wrong box.  Farmers says they can "prove they mailed me a notice of cancellation" because it is on their computer report and they will not pay this claim.  Again, my agent is terribly apologetic, this has never happened to him before but still, I will have to pay out of my pocket for the damage.   

The other driver wound up filing their claim and being covered under Uninsured Motorist and then their insurance company sued me for the damage plus other "assorted charges". 

We are now with another insurance agency.   So Farmers Insurance - never again!

NyaChan

« Reply #3796 on: April 05, 2013, 10:59:42 AM »
Wow!  That is horrible  >:(

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3797 on: April 05, 2013, 12:46:35 PM »
Farmers Insurance Company - after 31 years they have deeply, deeply wronged me.   I will NEVER go back.

I use billpay through the bank to pay my monthly auto insurance (plus a number of other things).  I have three cars insured through Farmers.  One of the drivers is my teen daughter (I promise you, you never, ever want to be without coverage when you have a teen driver).

Apparently, the May 2012 payment did not arrive at Farmer's on time (I have since found out from BillPay that it must have been placed in the wrong PO box because it eventually came back to BillPay stamped NOT AT THIS ADDRESS and I have a copy of the envelope with the correct address).  The June payment was also mailed to the same address and it apparently arrived on time.  But because Farmers did not receive the May payment on time they cancelled our policy.  According to Farmers they mailed me a cancellation notice - I never received it, because believe me if I had I would have taken a check straight to my agent!  But when they received the June payment they reissued the coverage ???  My daughter bumped a car stopped in the turning lane while texting (still my daughter's fault, no question - no damage to her car) on June 5th, damage was $525

Because Farmers says we were without coverage on June 4th, 5th & 6th they will not pay this claim.  My agent is viligant about calling clients when they get a notice of cancellation in their office, they just missed us that month ("you fell through the crack" were his exact words) so Farmers is not going to pay.  My agent is terribly apologetic but it looks like I will have to pay for the damage.  The area supervisor (over my agent) asked, "why do you think you should be treated more special than other Farmer clients?"  30 Years of loyalty was my response and I can prove my premium was mailed on time and to the correct address, the post office must have put it in the wrong box.  Farmers says they can "prove they mailed me a notice of cancellation" because it is on their computer report and they will not pay this claim.  Again, my agent is terribly apologetic, this has never happened to him before but still, I will have to pay out of my pocket for the damage.   

The other driver wound up filing their claim and being covered under Uninsured Motorist and then their insurance company sued me for the damage plus other "assorted charges". 

My question is what happened to the 'grace period' that insurance companies used to have? One of the clearing staions for the post office we used had major problems with lost mail - stolen or willfully misplaced - so we received a letter that our payment was overdue and our insurance would be cancelled after 30 days. This is just what they did; it had nothing to do with the scandal at the time, but we did call and explain that our mail went through that place and were assured that everything was okay for 30 days.

Recently, my Rx insurance bill was misplaced by me (first time ever, by the way), and again I recieved a 30 day grace noticed before I cought it, and my prescriptions were refilled as promised.

Anyway, I'm very sad for you and agree that it is a disservice to you.

I swore I would never use Farmers, too. I worked for them and had to send out warning notices to people who had towing insurance and used it once! Why do people pay extra for that if they can't use it when needed? Why did the company offer it if they weren't goining to graciously honor it?

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3798 on: April 05, 2013, 12:58:24 PM »
I'm surprised too at how quickly they cancelled you and then just reinstated the policy without question. Usually when a policy is cancelled, aren't they unlikely to reinstate it at all or at least increase the payments?

I wonder though, if you still had coverage, wouldn't $500 be about the deductible amount you would have to pay out of pocket anyway?
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." Douglas Adams

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #3799 on: April 05, 2013, 01:28:34 PM »
Liability pays for the other cars damage - no deductible.

Grace period?  If you don't pay your insurance premiums on time - there is no stinking grace period. 

And don't think I didn't question that reissuing policy either? 

Still, no we aren't going to pay.   We aren't going to pay and also, we aren't going to pay.

I did fight and get a refund of the June payment and by this time the July payment, since they "reissued" the policy I was able to do this - big shocker, I thought they would try to stiff me out of that too.  Unbelieveable.  I filed a complaint with the state board of Insurance - they found no violation of policy since Farmers "can prove they mailed a notice of cancellation". 

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #3800 on: April 05, 2013, 01:40:18 PM »
Liability pays for the other cars damage - no deductible.

Grace period?  If you don't pay your insurance premiums on time - there is no stinking grace period. 

And don't think I didn't question that reissuing policy either? 

Still, no we aren't going to pay.   We aren't going to pay and also, we aren't going to pay.

I did fight and get a refund of the June payment and by this time the July payment, since they "reissued" the policy I was able to do this - big shocker, I thought they would try to stiff me out of that too.  Unbelieveable.  I filed a complaint with the state board of Insurance - they found no violation of policy since Farmers "can prove they mailed a notice of cancellation". 

Can you point out that you, too, can prove that you mailed the May check?  Since you got it back with the "not at this address" thing?

Otterpop

« Reply #3801 on: April 05, 2013, 01:59:38 PM »

I HEAR you about Farmers.  We are thinking of switching after 20 years of loyalty and 5 homeowners policies (our house + rental units).  Our auto-pays went out on the March 8 for payment on the 16th.  On the 18th we got a cancellation notice.  That QUICK!!!  I had to call the bank to track the payment which had been delivered, but had not been processed by Farmer's.  This was our second instance in the last 2 months.  They are cancellation-crazy.  Our agent called to apologize.   ::)

Oh, and try to file a claim...tried only once for water damage but it was not covered.  Why, again, have I paid thousands over 2 decades?

If it's worth it to you, fight it. 
« Last Edit: April 05, 2013, 02:02:58 PM by Otterpop »

MindsEye

« Reply #3802 on: April 05, 2013, 02:09:14 PM »
I'm right there with you! when I was a kid, there were times I was so afraid there was a a HUGE tarantula at the end of my bed, where the sheets tucked in, that I'd sleep in a fetal position all night, since I knew if I put my feet down, it woudl get me. yes, I am irrationally afraid of spiders, why do you ask?????

Holy moly, you mean I am not the only one to have had this very specific fear as a little kid!? 
(For me, sometimes it was a tarantula and sometimes a really big crab with huge claws.)

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3803 on: April 05, 2013, 02:17:07 PM »
I'm right there with you! when I was a kid, there were times I was so afraid there was a a HUGE tarantula at the end of my bed, where the sheets tucked in, that I'd sleep in a fetal position all night, since I knew if I put my feet down, it woudl get me. yes, I am irrationally afraid of spiders, why do you ask?????

Holy moly, you mean I am not the only one to have had this very specific fear as a little kid!? 
(For me, sometimes it was a tarantula and sometimes a really big crab with huge claws.)

Hehe - my other fear was a cobra. Totally irrational since the chances of me seeing one in NJ are slim to none, but still....I recall one night, either in HS or college, i had that nightmare and was so terrified i actually got out of bed, and put my blankets in the hall and slept there! 

Last year a cobra escaped from the Bronx Zoo, and was later found in a bldg there. But there is NO WAY in heck i would have gone while it was still on the loose.  oh no.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #3804 on: April 05, 2013, 02:38:45 PM »

I have my insurance through State Farm.  My bill is due on the 15th of each month.  Due to a family emergency, I forgot to pay it a few months ago.  At the first of the next month, my agent mailed out a cancellation notice for 30 days out, emailed me, and called me to make sure everything was okay because in nearly 15 years I've never missed a payment.

I'm not sure if all Sate Farm locations do this, but when I was initially set up on my policy, I paid two months the first time so I would always have a grace period of 30 days.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Reika

« Reply #3805 on: April 05, 2013, 02:55:03 PM »
So the kind person mailed the check that had been sent to her by that electronics company, including the envelope they mailed it in and I just got it yesterday. Would it be over the top for me to send a thank you card to her for her kindness?

Also my bank isn't sure who I can contact, but I think the rep's jaw hit her desk when I explained the situation. They're going to look into it and get back to me (not holding my breath).

So yeah, stay far, far away from anything by Craig Electronics.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3806 on: April 05, 2013, 02:58:03 PM »
So the kind person mailed the check that had been sent to her by that electronics company, including the envelope they mailed it in and I just got it yesterday. Would it be over the top for me to send a thank you card to her for her kindness?

Also my bank isn't sure who I can contact, but I think the rep's jaw hit her desk when I explained the situation. They're going to look into it and get back to me (not holding my breath).

So yeah, stay far, far away from anything by Craig Electronics.

I think if it were me, I'd go one step further - I'd send her a thank you and include a $5 Starbucks/McDonalds/etc. gift card (something she's reasonably sure to have near her).  She really went above and beyond.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #3807 on: April 05, 2013, 05:18:44 PM »
Oh yea, that is definitely thank-you note worthy!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Jocelyn

« Reply #3808 on: April 06, 2013, 11:38:22 AM »
A particular McDonalds.
The guy at the drive through dropped my change on the ground. Apparently, it wasn't enough change for me to be upset about not receiving, but WAAAY too much change for him to replace it, and then go out after the morning rush and pick it up himself. If I wanted it, I was supposed to get out of my car and get it. Despite the fact that it was UNDER my car.
And he helpfully told me I could keep any other change I found down there, too.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #3809 on: April 07, 2013, 02:09:04 AM »
A particular McDonalds.
The guy at the drive through dropped my change on the ground. Apparently, it wasn't enough change for me to be upset about not receiving, but WAAAY too much change for him to replace it, and then go out after the morning rush and pick it up himself. If I wanted it, I was supposed to get out of my car and get it. Despite the fact that it was UNDER my car.
And he helpfully told me I could keep any other change I found down there, too.

I'd have gotten out of my car then and there to find it. If that held up the drive-through - so be it.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice