Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1136960 times)

Library Dragon

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3810 on: April 07, 2013, 03:10:05 AM »
I had forgotten about an incident I had decades ago.  There is a company that people often order checks from.  They used to have a very large stationary and greeting card catalog.  One Christmas season they had a catalog with nice gifts.  I ordered and had them sent to family in another state.  I had no credit card and paid for the order in full with a check. 

I received an invoice indicating payment for one of the items and a refund check for all the others.  The next day I received a letter stating the amount owed and I had 30 days to pay.  I sent a check. I had enough sense to know I needed a paper trail.  I had older/wiser folks advising that I just return the check sent to me. 

This repeated itself for each item.  I would receive a refund check then a statement demanding payment. Each subsequent letter became more threatening and adding late fees.  I would send letters with my next check.  I finally had to have the Army JAG office send a letter to cease threatening me.  Fortunatley I had a paper trail showing my good faith attempts to pay. 

In all the years since I refuse to order replacement checks from this company.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Jocelyn

« Reply #3811 on: April 07, 2013, 03:10:53 PM »
A particular McDonalds.
The guy at the drive through dropped my change on the ground. Apparently, it wasn't enough change for me to be upset about not receiving, but WAAAY too much change for him to replace it, and then go out after the morning rush and pick it up himself. If I wanted it, I was supposed to get out of my car and get it. Despite the fact that it was UNDER my car.
And he helpfully told me I could keep any other change I found down there, too.

I'd have gotten out of my car then and there to find it. If that held up the drive-through - so be it.
I reached down and got what I could...which wasn't all of it. But if I'd moved my car to get the rest, the driver behind me would have pulled forward. There were about 8 cars behind me, and I was on my way to work, so I didn't want to wait around to get my change. But the McD's employees were going to be there after the rush...

Cami

« Reply #3812 on: April 07, 2013, 04:22:50 PM »
A particular McDonalds.
The guy at the drive through dropped my change on the ground. Apparently, it wasn't enough change for me to be upset about not receiving, but WAAAY too much change for him to replace it, and then go out after the morning rush and pick it up himself. If I wanted it, I was supposed to get out of my car and get it. Despite the fact that it was UNDER my car.

I'd have gotten out of my car then and there to find it. If that held up the drive-through - so be it.
I reached down and got what I could...which wasn't all of it. But if I'd moved my car to get the rest, the driver behind me would have pulled forward. There were about 8 cars behind me, and I was on my way to work, so I didn't want to wait around to get my change. But the McD's employees were going to be there after the rush...
Well and then there's the problem of picking dirty money off a filthy driveway with your hands and then using those hands to eat the food you just ordered.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3813 on: April 07, 2013, 07:29:21 PM »
A particular McDonalds.

Well and then there's the problem of picking dirty money off a filthy driveway with your hands and then using those hands to eat the food you just ordered.

Exactly. And this is money that has likely rolled underneath the car. Sorry, I'm not getting on my hands and knees in a drive-thru. I've had people at drive-thrus drop some change and then replace it saying that they'd get the dropped stuff later.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jocelyn

« Reply #3814 on: April 07, 2013, 07:49:32 PM »
Cami and Art,
It may relieve you to know that all I had ordered was a refreshing beverage.  ::) No handling of food required.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #3815 on: April 07, 2013, 08:55:01 PM »
Cami and Art,
It may relieve you to know that all I had ordered was a refreshing beverage.  ::) No handling of food required.

Doesn't bother me one way or another. I'm pretty lax about stuff like that -- my immune system works just fine, thank you!
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Minmom3

« Reply #3816 on: April 07, 2013, 09:05:58 PM »
I had forgotten about an incident I had decades ago.  There is a company that people often order checks from.  They used to have a very large stationary and greeting card catalog.  One Christmas season they had a catalog with nice gifts.  I ordered and had them sent to family in another state.  I had no credit card and paid for the order in full with a check. 

I received an invoice indicating payment for one of the items and a refund check for all the others.  The next day I received a letter stating the amount owed and I had 30 days to pay.  I sent a check. I had enough sense to know I needed a paper trail.  I had older/wiser folks advising that I just return the check sent to me. 

This repeated itself for each item.  I would receive a refund check then a statement demanding payment. Each subsequent letter became more threatening and adding late fees.  I would send letters with my next check.  I finally had to have the Army JAG office send a letter to cease threatening me.  Fortunatley I had a paper trail showing my good faith attempts to pay. 

In all the years since I refuse to order replacement checks from this company.

Current?  Wow.  I've gotten checks from them for 25+ years, with NEVER any problems.  I've never gotten anything else from them, just the checks.  How in the world did they manage to mess up your order so ridiculously??
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

proudmama

« Reply #3817 on: April 07, 2013, 09:41:30 PM »

4)  buying my very first car that will be mine, all mine, without having to share with the children!  first time i ever got to pick my paint color and my interior colors.  i already sort of knew what i wanted, and i was paying.  with cash money.  that i had earned all by myself.  the hubs wanted me to look at the Taurus, which he didn't think i would like, but he wanted me to see all of my options.  the salesman showed us the car, then left to get the keys.  the hubs and i were amusing ourselves looking at other cars.  in fact we were looking at a version of the car that i ultimately bought somewhere else.  it was the Sports model with a spoiler, and really UGLY red and black leather seats.  we were kidding and joking and teasing about the butt-ugly seats.  so the salesman comes back with the keys, keeps trying to address the hubs, and the hubs keeps pointing at me, saying "talk to her, it's her car, and she's paying for it."  couldn't be more obvious.  so we've examined the Taurus, and it was bigger than i wanted (which is what the hubs thought).  and we are walking back towards the building.  and i say to the hubs "oh and look at those butt ugly seats!" pointing.  teasing again, and all was fine, until the salesman stated "look young lady, if that is the car your husband chooses to buy, you will take those seats and you WILL like them and be grateful that he bought you a car!"   

i looked at the hubs, and told him i was done now, we were leaving.  the salesman kept at him, trying to sell, while the hubs kept telling him that the salesman had just insulted the car buyer (me).  finally, when we reached the building, and the salesman kept trying to push brochures into his hand and doing the whole fast talk thing, i pulled my checkbook out of my purse, tapped the salesman on the arm, told him that i had been prepared to buy for cash right then and there, but hey, what did i know, i was just a young lady who didn't know what she wanted, so i would take my money and buy elsewhere.  i did, the next day.  oh, and as to the young lady thing?  at that point, i was 53.

I love your husband's response.

I had a similar experience twice.  The first time, I was buying a brand new car at 21.  I saved my money, had a large down payment and had to borrow a small amount (less than my down payment).  I went with my dad because I needed a ride to the dealership.  The salesperson would not talk to me. Everything was directed at my dad.  I wish I had a backbone, but at that time I did not.  I bought the car.

I was buying my second brand new car when I was 29 and pregnant (very pregnant).  My DH and I went car shopping together.  I had done all of the research and I new how much I wanted to spend and what I wanted to buy.  We ended up with exactly what I wanted for the price I was willing to pay, but from a dealership that was 45 minutes away.  The dealership near me chose to ignore me and speak with my husband, even when I would ask questions.  My DH tried to direct the sales person back to me, but the guy just would not take the hint.  So, I got up and said to my DH.  'Let's go.'  That's all I said.  The guy assumed that I was going into labor and continued to harass DH about coming back the next day to finish the deal.  At this point, I've had enough and turned to the guy and said:  'If you really wanted this sale, you would have spoken to me.  I am the one that has the checkbook in my purse.  I know what I want, I know how much is should cost for the options that I want and I would be the one writing the check.  I will not allow my husband to give you a single cent.  I am not in labor, I just will not tolerate being treated this way.'  My DH was applauding as I left the dealership.  We bought the car the next day, where the salesperson spoke to me and answered my questions even though I was there with my DH. 

I did go back to that dealership for service because it was closer to home.  The service department treated with utmost respect and never had any issues with them trying to sell me something I didn't need.  I would have not gone back if I had any issues with the service department.  I found out from one of their employees that this salesperson was let go not long after my outburst. 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3818 on: April 07, 2013, 10:49:02 PM »
What is it with car dealerships and not listening to people?  When we bought our last minivan, we nearly walked out of one dealership.  We knew what we wanted, there were none on the lot or in the area, so we had to order it.  The dealer tried to get us to take an SUV on the showroom floor.  Not the model we wanted, not the mileage we wanted, not the color we wanted, not the options we wanted.  He tried to push this thing FOUR times, once while we were sitting there signing the papers to order the minivan.  After the fourth time, I looked at him and said "If you try one more time to sell us that SUV, we are tearing up this paperwork and walking out, AFTER we tell your manager that you lost this sale.  And then we will go home, find the corporate information, and tell THEM.  Now, are you going to try again?"  He just sulked and took our money and paperwork.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #3819 on: April 08, 2013, 01:41:05 AM »
What is it with car dealerships and not listening to people?  When we bought our last minivan, we nearly walked out of one dealership.  We knew what we wanted, there were none on the lot or in the area, so we had to order it.  The dealer tried to get us to take an SUV on the showroom floor.  Not the model we wanted, not the mileage we wanted, not the color we wanted, not the options we wanted.  He tried to push this thing FOUR times, once while we were sitting there signing the papers to order the minivan.  After the fourth time, I looked at him and said "If you try one more time to sell us that SUV, we are tearing up this paperwork and walking out, AFTER we tell your manager that you lost this sale.  And then we will go home, find the corporate information, and tell THEM.  Now, are you going to try again?"  He just sulked and took our money and paperwork.

Honestly, I think it's because sales positions are 1) cheap and 2) easy for the company to hire for.  Dealerships (or timeshare resorts or cell phone kiosk owners) don't have to invest a lot of time or money into training salespeople, and when the pay is mostly commission they don't have to pay the bad ones, either.  The dealership would rather go through five potential salespeople and only have one stay longer than a few weeks than actually have a stringent hiring process and real training and a flat salary whether or not the salesperson was closing deals.  As a result, an awful lot of people in commissioned sales positions like this a) have never been trained properly in what to do, b) are fairly new, and c) have little prior sales experience.  The dealership counts on the salespeople to weed themselves out - the good ones make money, while the bad ones give up after a few weeks/months of no sales and therefore no commissions.  The end result for the customer, though, is a revolving door of subpar salespeople  :-\

(And no, I never worked at a dealership, but I did work at a timeshare while in college.  I was office staff, but worked fairly closely with the salespeople.  There was a lot of staff turnover.)

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #3820 on: April 08, 2013, 05:49:32 AM »
I think it is partly because they are looking at the commission fee not the wants. I bought a used car two years ago from a place that does not do commissions. My dad went with me because my old car was too iffy to make it there safely. I'd looked up their inventory online and chosen one I thought looked good.

We told the salesman who didn't try to steer me to a more expensive car. When he found out I was the buyer he talked to me. It was very painless because he listened and, I suspect,  wasn't distracted by thoughts of the commission.

Carotte

« Reply #3821 on: April 08, 2013, 06:37:33 AM »
What Slartibartfast said about training is probably very true, but then it means that most of them didn't even start with an ounce of common sense and a big bag of macho - the men makes the decision, because you know, no women has ever known anything about cars or bought one...
On the opposite side you have the tea store clerk that addressed all her answers to me (the girl) the day I went with a friend (a boy) because he needed tea. No amount of 'I'm standing 4 feet away and browsing some other stuff' and 'he asked you' would clue her in.

It makes me want to make a study, go to an appliance store with an hetero couple (and then with a gltb one), and see for which appliance the salesperson turns to the woman or the man. I think the graph would be that everything that is cleaning or cooking it's for the woman (talking about the pretty color or the nice design), for big ticket items they talk about the pretty color to the woman and about the price to the man.
Tools and powertools all for the man, if a woman is there alone they'll go get the nice pink set they have in the back, with a dose of patronizing.

Thank deity not all stores or salespeople are like that, or they'll all go under if people had more spine (and the ability to shop elsewhere, not always an option sadly.)

NyaChan

« Reply #3822 on: April 08, 2013, 08:11:33 AM »
I am in a class about negotiation and mediation and we covered gender recently.

Apparently cars tend to sell for higher prices to women, then to African Americans, and then Caucasian men get the best price.  They do teach sales techniques to the dealerships and (according to the professor's readings) we were told that there are actually policies/trainings that steer salesmen towards the males in the group when people come in.  She didn't cite the research so I don't know how accurate that is, just sharing :)

Redsoil

« Reply #3823 on: April 08, 2013, 09:19:07 AM »
I would have thought it basic common-sense for a salesperson to ask "Is this a joint purchase?"  Easy - talk to both if so, if not, then you're able to direct your conversation to the one actually buying!  A few simple questions would result in better sales, surely?
Look out... 
It's one of the Aussie Contingent!

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #3824 on: April 08, 2013, 09:23:05 AM »
I would have thought it basic common-sense for a salesperson to ask "Is this a joint purchase?"  Easy - talk to both if so, if not, then you're able to direct your conversation to the one actually buying!  A few simple questions would result in better sales, surely?

Well, to me, it is a joint purchase even if I get the last say because the car is specifically for me but the Eagle will drive it maybe 20% of the time.  We're both paying for it, but I make the final decision.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.