Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 979320 times)

Mental Magpie

• ...for the dark side looks back.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3975 on: April 15, 2013, 08:39:12 PM »
In the article.

“Seriously, focus your energy on equal rights,”  :-X

Wow. Yeah, the no remorse would cause me to stop shopping there. He doesn't realize that not everyone shared his sense of humor but then doesn't feel bad about offending anyone.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #3976 on: April 15, 2013, 08:41:39 PM »
Sharing a news story I just read.

Article link here.

Summary: A Houston organic restaurant - Roots Bistro - posted a sign that read:

Beer should
Be like Violence
Domestic

The manager on duty tried to backtrack too. Disgusting.

I must have a really messed up sense if humor, because that didn't bother me. It got a laugh out of me. It was a stupid joke and obviously the manager didn't think that through.

Ditto. He didn't think that many people will not share his sense of humor. Stupid, yes, but I would still shop there.

I would have agreed, because people that think bad puns are funny rarely have any realistic view of how much other people will enjoy them IME, but the follow up sign definitely seemed a bit ... deliberate. That's the one that would have stopped me shopping there.

Also, seems a bit PD to me, as the set of people who would enjoy the sentiments posted and the set of people who would pay extra for organic, locally produced food have a fairly small intersection, I would have thought.

In the article.

Wow. That does color it even more negatively than before. Seriously, equal rights for all means things like not trivializing domestic violence (or sexual assault), which are gross abuses of power that thrive in secrecy, complacency, and inequality.
Utah

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #3977 on: April 15, 2013, 08:47:58 PM »
Domestic violence is not bound by sexual orientation.

Moray

• My hovercraft is full of eels!
« Reply #3978 on: April 15, 2013, 08:53:50 PM »

Yup. In fact, in many cases, it's allowed to escalate because they don't feel the level of support is there.
Utah

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #3979 on: April 15, 2013, 08:54:13 PM »
I'm just trying to figure out what the darn sign meant... all head? Cheap? Made in Colorado?

Beh, offensive and brain hurty.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

BB-VA

« Reply #3980 on: April 15, 2013, 09:21:38 PM »
There is, for some reason, an urban legend that doctors take out tonsils "at the drop of a hat." At least, some other doctors must do it. I've never run into such doctors myself.

It is not and urban legend.

They used to. In the '20s and '30s, one kid would get a sore throat and often the whole family would go into the office and have them out at once.  (I have no research - just firsthand stories from my childhood and books.)

I was on the borderline - it was discussed sometimes, but they didn't do it until I insisted when I was 21. Up to about the age of 50, I said that was the best thing I ever did medically.

See "Cheaper By the Dozen" in which most of the kids had their tonsils out at the same time.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

Iris

« Reply #3981 on: April 15, 2013, 09:30:49 PM »

Yup. In fact, in many cases, it's allowed to escalate because they don't feel the level of support is there.

Now it's my turn to be confused. Sexual orientation? I agree that domestic violence is not bound by sexual orientation but I don't understand why that's relevant. Did I miss something?
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
  • Is it Spring yet?
« Reply #3982 on: April 15, 2013, 11:01:56 PM »
There is, for some reason, an urban legend that doctors take out tonsils "at the drop of a hat." At least, some other doctors must do it. I've never run into such doctors myself.
No, not an urban legend, just outdated information.  Before the 1960's, when the Doctor's word was GOD, they did take them out like that.  I have never had this confirmed, but I believe that they thought the tonsils were some kind of reservoir of infection.  Kid has one cold after another? Must be the tonsils, take them out. (Because, you know, it couldn't be that kids and their sometimes sketchy ideas of hygiene cause them to share germs.) Kid has a sinus infection?  Must be his tonsils. Kid snores?  Must be tonsils and adenoids. Any kind of upper respiratory problem was blamed on the tonsils.  They would even remove the tonsils of healthy kids, because sooner or later ALL kids get colds, sore throats, ear infections, etc. and it was better to just get rid of those nasty tonsils before they caused trouble.

If you've ever read Cheaper by the Dozen, you'll remember the chapter when the doctor took out all the kids' tonsils so that Mr. Gilbraith could film them and work out more efficient ways of doing surgery.

And in that same vein, my MIL strongarmed the doctors into doing all three of her kids at once.  (So that she didn't have any of them underfoot while she threw away their blankies and other loveys.  >:( Horrible woman.) DH was 7, his sister was 5, and brother about 2.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
I don't go crazy.  I AM crazy.  I sometimes go normal. 
Please make a note of this for future reference.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #3983 on: April 16, 2013, 08:02:22 AM »

Article link here.

Beer should
Be like Violence
Domestic

I must have a really messed up sense if humor, because that didn't bother me. It got a laugh out of me. It was a stupid joke and obviously the manager didn't think that through.

Ditto. He didn't think that many people will not share his sense of humor. Stupid, yes, but I would still shop there.

I would have agreed, because people that think bad puns are funny rarely have any realistic view of how much other people will enjoy them IME, but the follow up sign definitely seemed a bit ... deliberate. That's the one that would have stopped me shopping there.

Hey, I think bad puns are funny in general, but I'm perfectly capable of distinguishing between mere atrocious wordplay and horribly offensive wordplay.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3984 on: April 16, 2013, 08:58:57 AM »
I'm not disagreeing that it is offensive.  I can overlook that, though, and laugh at it, too.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #3985 on: April 16, 2013, 09:24:35 AM »
The problem for me, though, is that the level fo offensiveness sucks any potential for humor from the joke.

Mental Magpie

« Reply #3986 on: April 16, 2013, 09:26:48 AM »
The problem for me, though, is that the level fo offensiveness sucks any potential for humor from the joke.

I understand that.  I completely understand why people would not use the business again.  I'm just not one of them (until his lack of understanding what he did wrong).

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3987 on: April 16, 2013, 09:39:19 AM »
In the article.

Or what, he'll belt you one?  >:(

Strange that he wouldn't consider freedom from violence part of "equal rights".
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Twik

• A Pillar of the Forum
« Reply #3988 on: April 16, 2013, 09:45:49 AM »
No, not an urban legend, just outdated information.  Before the 1960's, when the Doctor's word was GOD, they did take them out like that.  I have never had this confirmed, but I believe that they thought the tonsils were some kind of reservoir of infection.

Well, they can be, if a resident infection sets up there. I spent 3 years constantly ill - my record was having 0 days attendance in school one month. Serious kidney infections, serious ear infections, living on antibiotics. Never really was "well" until the tonsils were removed.
My cousin's memoir of love and loneliness while raising a child with multiple disabilities will be out on Amazon soon! Know the Night, by Maria Mutch, has been called "full of hope, light, and companionship for surviving the small hours of the night."

Kariachi

« Reply #3989 on: April 16, 2013, 10:07:01 AM »

Article link here.

Beer should
Be like Violence
Domestic

As someone who more or less thrives off offensive humor: poorly done and in poor taste. Replace 'violence' with 'women' and he'd at least get a chuckle, but as it stands I just had to facepalm and think of how bad people were gonna come after him.
"Heh. Forgive our manners, little creature — that we may well kill and eat you is no excuse for rudeness."