Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1213299 times)

Andicatt

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #3990 on: April 16, 2013, 03:05:17 PM »
I'll never shop at LOWES again.  My mom is in her 80s and can't get in and out of the tub easily and wanted it replaced with a walk in shower.  I went to LOWES and found one that met her requirements.  The only part of the shower they had in stock was the back wall. I had to have the two side walls and the bottom ordered separately.  I wanted to pay for it all but was told to wait until it comes in.  A week later I get a call - the walls and floor are in.  Went to pick them up - it took the store 1/2 hour to find them - they kept insisting that I didn't get a call saying they were in.  I asked about the back wall - surprise! they no longer had it and that would have to be ordered.  Another week goes by, another phone call from LOWES.  Once again they can't find my order.  After 45 minutes they decide that the back wall did come in but since I didn't pay for it when I ordered it, it was sold to someone else.  We ended up going to a LOWES 30 miles away to get a back wall.  I honestly can't believe that these back walls are just flying off the shelves, and if they were, why don't they have the sides and floor parts in stock?

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3991 on: April 16, 2013, 04:12:06 PM »
I think I had a Lowes story earlier in the thread, but if not here's the basic story.  Ordered and paid for a bookcase, told it would get there in 5-7 days.  Two weeks later, no calls from them, so I call.  "Not here yet." I call a week later. "Yeah, we were just about to send it back. It's been here almost 3 weeks.  We called several times, but you never responded."  Complete and total lie -- I was a SAHM, and the phone had an answering machine. 

Hop in the truck, go to Lowes.  Customer service takes the receipt, says "It will be right up."  Half an hour goes by.  "Oh, yeah, I told Jimmy to do it, and he's gone off shift now.  I'll send someone else."  Half an hour goes by. "We can't find it, but we're still looking."  ANOTHER half an hour goes by, and by then I'm spitting mad, so when the manager wanders by, I grab him.  I'm afraid I was not polite.   :-[   Instead, I let him have it with both barrels.  He apologized profusely, went to the back himself, and had it out in 5 minutes.

Honestly, when you KNOW that a rival chain has a store less than a mile away, why do you screw over your customers like that?  We've been to other Lowes, but not that one.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Shalamar

« Reply #3992 on: April 16, 2013, 04:15:35 PM »
That reminds me of when I ordered my husband a jacket from the Running Room's website for Christmas.   At my request, the company shipped the jacket to a nearby store so that I could go pick it up.  That store called me to let me know it was in.  So far, so good.

I drove there the following day to pick up the jacket.   The clerk at the cash register rolled her eyes as she gave it to me, saying "I was wondering when you were ever going to get around to picking this up."  I said "Excuse me?  I got the call YESTERDAY."  She just rolled her eyes some more.  I'm very sorry that I didn't call the manager over to complain.

I guess I was supposed to drop everything and drive there immediately, otherwise the jacket would have ... gone bad, or something? 

paige =^..^=

• website
« Reply #3993 on: April 16, 2013, 06:11:31 PM »
I think I've posted my own never-shopping-at-Lowe's story here before, but the gist was: we needed a 39˘ packet of screws, they refused to sell it unless we gave a phone number.  I refused, and the manager voided the sale and cheerfully took the next customer.  There's a Home Depot maybe a block away on the other side of the street; the parking lots have direct line-of-sight.  When we needed a store credit card for appliance purchases, we went with Home Depot.

Lowe's definitely sent a Message, but I just don't think it's the one they intended to send.

Iris

« Reply #3994 on: April 16, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »
Domestic violence is not bound by sexual orientation.

Yup. In fact, in many cases, it's allowed to escalate because they don't feel the level of support is there.

Now it's my turn to be confused. Sexual orientation? I agree that domestic violence is not bound by sexual orientation but I don't understand why that's relevant. Did I miss something?

The original sign:

Beer should
Be like Violence
Domestic

The follow up after people complained:

“Seriously, focus your energy on equal rights,”

Equal rights usually refers to equality of marriage, property rights and survivorship rights. So, it seems the company was alluding that domestic violence is less of an issue than equal rights. IMHO

Aha! To me, equal rights can refer to any group that fights/has fought for equality, so I interpreted it as a dig at the (mostly women) who complained. Which is silly anyway, because as you point out any group can perpetrate or suffer from domestic violence.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #3995 on: April 16, 2013, 06:39:26 PM »
I think I've posted my own never-shopping-at-Lowe's story here before, but the gist was: we needed a 39˘ packet of screws, they refused to sell it unless we gave a phone number.  I refused, and the manager voided the sale and cheerfully took the next customer.  There's a Home Depot maybe a block away on the other side of the street; the parking lots have direct line-of-sight.  When we needed a store credit card for appliance purchases, we went with Home Depot.

Lowe's definitely sent a Message, but I just don't think it's the one they intended to send.

Um, why on earth would they need a phone number for screws? I know sometimes they will ask for a phone # just to get an idea of where people are living, I guess, or sometimes ask for a zipcode for the same reason.  But to deny the sale because you wouldn't share your number? Oooookay...

We haven't had problems with our Lowe's here, though once I did get annoyed when I went in to get something when I was working to fix up an old and rickety table someone left out back when we moved in.  I needed to replace the hardware that kept the legs on this thing, and the guys said "Uh we don't have anything like that..." I went looking anyway and found just what I needed.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

afbluebelle

• Super Hero!
  • Saving the world one squirrelbot at a time
« Reply #3996 on: April 16, 2013, 06:58:16 PM »

It took me this long to get that darn sign. I had the last two words flipped. I feel much less confused.
My inner (r-word) is having a field day with this one.
-Love is Evol: Christopher Titus-

LazyDaisy

« Reply #3997 on: April 16, 2013, 06:59:22 PM »
LensCrafters. Never again! I wear disposable contacts (the new pair every two weeks kind). I usually order a six month supply at a time. For the two years I went there they would call me to say my contacts were in after about 2 weeks and I'd go down there that same day to pick them up. When I'd get there, they either couldn't find my order at all, or only one lens came in (right eye and left eye have slightly different prescriptions). So I'd get a second call a few days later that the other lens was in and go back. Luckily the place was on my way home from work, so I didn't really have to go out of my way to do this.

That was irritating enough, but the final straw was: after a 3 week wait (so already longer than usual) I finally get the call my lenses are in. I went to pick them up and discover that only the right lens was in and this time they forgot to order the left one at all so that'll take another 2-3 weeks. After 3 weeks no phone call so I call them. The girl who answered the phone at first wouldn't even look. As far as she was concerned if I didn't receive a phone call from her, they weren't in. I insisted so she put me on hold for a bit before telling me they weren't in -- I don't really believe she looked. After 4 weeks, still no call so I go into the office and ask for the manager. Oh look, they're in. I never received a call. Then the manager tried to get me to pay for another Dr. visit to fit the lenses. I didn't need that, they were just a reorder of the same prescription. The manager refused to give me the lenses that I'd already paid for unless I had an appointment to have them fitted. I let her know that not only was I not making that appointment, but if she didn't hand them over I was going to do a charge back on the credit card for merchandise not delivered. I pointed out that they had botched this whole transaction from the beginning -- I had to wait a total of 7 weeks because they forgot to order one lens and the service was extremely rude. This all took place at the register so other customers could hear the conversation. She wasn't happy. I've never been back.
"A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools." — Douglas Adams

Jocelyn

« Reply #3998 on: April 16, 2013, 08:32:35 PM »
There is, for some reason, an urban legend that doctors take out tonsils "at the drop of a hat." At least, some other doctors must do it. I've never run into such doctors myself.

The reason is that doctors USED to do so. Circa 1978, I was working in a hospital where a doctor did tonsillectomies on 3 little brothers. He talked the mother into this, saying it would be easier just to get them all over and done with at the same time. Of course, it was a nightmare. The nurses put 3 beds into a semiprivate room, so that there was next to no floor space, but even so, the mother could only be between 2 beds at one time, so the third child was left to cry for Mommy's attention as she was tending his brothers.It may have been more convenient for the doctor, but the mother was run ragged and felt horribly guilty that she was unable to give each child the attention he wanted. 
The doctor was one of the oldest ones in town and retired not long after.

BeautifulDisaster

« Reply #3999 on: April 16, 2013, 08:56:20 PM »
I think I had a Lowes story earlier in the thread, but if not here's the basic story.  Ordered and paid for a bookcase, told it would get there in 5-7 days.  Two weeks later, no calls from them, so I call.  "Not here yet." I call a week later. "Yeah, we were just about to send it back. It's been here almost 3 weeks.  We called several times, but you never responded."  Complete and total lie -- I was a SAHM, and the phone had an answering machine. 

Hop in the truck, go to Lowes.  Customer service takes the receipt, says "It will be right up."  Half an hour goes by.  "Oh, yeah, I told Jimmy to do it, and he's gone off shift now.  I'll send someone else."  Half an hour goes by. "We can't find it, but we're still looking."  ANOTHER half an hour goes by, and by then I'm spitting mad, so when the manager wanders by, I grab him.  I'm afraid I was not polite.   :-[   Instead, I let him have it with both barrels.  He apologized profusely, went to the back himself, and had it out in 5 minutes.

Honestly, when you KNOW that a rival chain has a store less than a mile away, why do you screw over your customers like that?  We've been to other Lowes, but not that one.

If you mean Home Depot, I promise, they're just as bad. I work w/ Lowes and Home Depot stores every day all across the US, Ontario, Nova Scotia (and surrounding provinces), they all suck. You can find good people that are very good customer service wise, but they're rare in my experience.

Today's a good example of what I deal with every day. Note, this all happens at about 3:58pm local time, the store I'm calling is in the same time zone. Call a store to confirm if a part has come in. Get bumped around to the operator and tell her what I need. She says "let me get you to receiving". A girl answers the phone. I tell her who I am, my company name and why I'm calling.

Her: Well, who is it? (meaning, who's the part for)
Me: Jane Smith
Her: *snotty tone* I don't know who that is.
Me: I have an RP # if that would help.
Her: *big sigh, snotty tone* I'll transfer you to receiving.
Me: *super polite, though I was VERY VERY annoyed* That would be great, thank you!
Her: *sets the phone down and walks off*

I set there for about 30 seconds and then hung up. By now it's 4:02. Call back and everyone in receiving is gone for the day.  ::) Of course.

As a customer - I avoid both stores like the plague. DH can deal with them, I will not.

lilfox

« Reply #4000 on: April 17, 2013, 02:05:47 AM »

Ha, unfortunately you reminded me that the Useless Cashier (at Lowe's) tried to do the same phone number bit to me for my $ 0.27 floor sample purchase.  He said, I need your phone number, and I said no, you don't.  He said the register wouldn't ring me out without it and I said, okay, use the store's number.  He had to ask the next cashier over but that guy did tell him what to enter.  Argh.  Ironically I would have saved myself some aggravation if he'd have just refused the sale like your guy did.  Zip code?  Fine.  Phone number, not a chance.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4001 on: April 17, 2013, 03:01:45 AM »
I give all 9s to them when they ask for my phone number.  It's just another way of tracking you and I don't play that game. 

Calistoga

« Reply #4002 on: April 17, 2013, 02:10:25 PM »
Just picked up lunch from a local BBQ place. Started in to my ribs and BAM...

Big old piece of steel wire from one of those wire dish scrubbies was buried in the spice crust.

Nasty. But I work in a restaurant...so I know how, conceivably, this could happen. I called the place up and the cashier put me on hold for about 3 minutes before a manager finally picked up and I told him my complaint.

Me: Hi, I was just in to pick up a takeout order, and I found a big piece of wire or steel wool in my ribs.
Him: Well I don't doubt it, but I have no idea how that would happen. We don't make our ribs around any steel wool. Can you bring it in so  I can look at it?

So I drive 10 minutes back to the place (keep in mind lunch break is only an hour long, and it's already half over). Get inside and show the manager the wire in my food.

Him: Well I don't know how that got there. I called BiggerStore where the meat comes from to see if it could have come off one of the racks or something.
Me: Ok...
Him: Do you want a refund or do you want another plate?
Me: I'll just get a refund.
Him: Ok. I'm going to keep this. :He takes my food: She'll help you over there.

Got my refund.

What really bothered me is that this guy didn't express any kind of condolences that I had found a piece of dish scrubbie in my food. None at all. That's poor customer service in my opinion. He didn't even seem to think it was a big deal.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4003 on: April 17, 2013, 02:12:15 PM »
I give all 9s to them when they ask for my phone number.  It's just another way of tracking you and I don't play that game.

I just say 'No, thank you.'  Haven't had a problem yet.  But if I do, I'm giving them (my area code) 867-5309.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4004 on: April 17, 2013, 02:18:03 PM »
I think I'll start giving them a 555 number.