Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1270800 times)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4005 on: April 17, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »
we needed a 39 packet of screws, they refused to sell it unless we gave a phone number.

They wanted a phone number.  Why couldn't you give them one?  They didn't say it had to be yours.

Heck, I'd make it a game and start giving different ones every time - like the above suggestion of 867-5309!

Amara

« Reply #4006 on: April 17, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »
Why couldn't you give them one?  They didn't say it had to be yours.

You can use mine: 123-4567. >:D You need to add your own area code, however. 

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4007 on: April 17, 2013, 02:32:12 PM »
we needed a 39 packet of screws, they refused to sell it unless we gave a phone number.

They wanted a phone number.  Why couldn't you give them one?  They didn't say it had to be yours.

Heck, I'd make it a game and start giving different ones every time - like the above suggestion of 867-5309!

And the best part is that many clerks wouldn't be old enough to have a clue where it came from.
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4008 on: April 17, 2013, 02:36:03 PM »
Sigh.  And it's now an earworm for me today! :D  Get that song outta my head!

lilfox

« Reply #4009 on: April 17, 2013, 02:38:04 PM »
I give all 9s to them when they ask for my phone number.  It's just another way of tracking you and I don't play that game.

FWIW, he actually tried that first and the Lowe's system wouldn't accept it.  It did take the store number.  I like the idea of a 555 number a la Traska, but honestly I'd rather make a point of (politely) saying "No" to any phone number request.  They just don't need that info and it's an intrusive policy.  Maybe if corporate gets enough of store number as the major consumer, they'll figure out something else.

mmswm

« Reply #4010 on: April 17, 2013, 02:53:32 PM »

And the best part is that many clerks wouldn't be old enough to have a clue where it came from.

That's the number I use for most of those places.  I had one clerk who was barely old enough to even legally hold a job punch in the number, pause for a moment then play-shout "JENNY!  I've finally found you!"

This was fairly recently, and the kid couldn't have been more than 16.  I was shocked he not only caught the reference but could make an off the cuff joke so quickly.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4011 on: April 17, 2013, 02:54:49 PM »
I love it! :D

Bottlecaps

« Reply #4012 on: April 17, 2013, 03:16:21 PM »
Unfortunately I have no choice but to go ahead with my two trips by Greyhound this summer, since the tickets are already booked, non-refundable, and weren't even paid for by me. However, I called their customer service line yesterday just to get answers to some general questions I have about bus travel (as I've never traveled by Greyhound before), and the representative on the line was....atrocious at her job. Yes, atrocious. I'll admit it might have been my fault for asking questions to which answers were already posted on their website, but I just wanted to make sure. I'm having major anxiety about traveling by bus and I just want to be prepared for the trip by having all my questions answered. I got off the call with more questions than I had when I dialed the phone.

****Warning - This is a bit long!****

I had typed out a list of questions because I have terrible, terrible phone anxiety and I am bound to panic on the phone and forget half the questions I want to ask, so when making a call like this, I write them out to make sure I don't forget anything. Here's an example of a couple of my questions and her "answers" to them.

Me: I have two trips scheduled this summer. In both cases, the cardholder who paid for the ticket is not travelling with me. Am I still subject to the fee for not having the card present, or is it waived since the cardholder is not travelling?
Her: That fee is paid when you book your ticket.
Me: I understand the gift ticket fee. We've already booked the tickets and paid for them. The website though isn't clear on this particular topic though. It says that when I get my tickets, as they're on will-call, if I don't have the credit card used to pay for them present, I'll have to pay a $15.00 fee. It doesn't tell me whether that is the gift ticket fee or if it's a separate charge all together. However, the cardholder isn't the one traveling, I am, so I was wondering if you all still charge that fee. The way the website explained it, it's not charged if the cardholder isn't travelling, but I just want to make sure. Like I said, we've booked and paid for the tickets, I just want to make sure an extra fee isn't going to crop up when I get to the station.
Her: Yes, you will be subject to a gift ticket fee.
Me: Even though the gift ticket fee was already paid when we booked the tickets? There's a gift ticket fee and then an extra one for not having the credit card with me even though I'm not the one travelling?
Her: Yes, the card needs to be present, even if the cardholder is not traveling.
Me: Oh. Well that's going to be a problem for my second trip. I'm going to visit a friend in Denver. She paid for my bus ticket. I will be departing from the Pittsburgh station, and she's in Denver. I won't have her card, because you know, it's not my card....
Her: Oh, no no. You will not be subject to the fee. The gift ticket fee had already been paid since the cardholder is not riding and you've bought your ticket in advance.

OK....took long enough to get that question answered. Whatever, right? At that point I thought it might have been a language barrier. As it turns out, I don't think she was even listening to me, based on her answers to other questions.

Me: I read that the majority of your fleet is now equipped with power outlets at each seat and wifi hotspots. Is this true? I understand that not all your buses will have them, but apparently, some do. Can you give me an approximation of the percentage of your buses that offer this service? Both of my trips are rather long ones and it would be nice to be able to keep in touch with people while I'm on the bus.
Her: (Garbled, couldn't understand it)
Me: Pardon?
Her: Can you repeat the question?
Me: (I repeat the question).
Her: You do not have to pay for that service.
Me: I understand I don't have to pay for it. I'm just wanting to confirm that there is that service on some of your buses and get an approximation of how likely it is to ride a bus with it.
Her: That service is only for express buses.
Me: Oh, OK. Well, the website didn't make that clear. I was just wondering how many of your buses have that service, so I can work out the probability that I could end up on a bus with it at some point. I'm sorry if this is confusing, I just have a lot of questions as I've never traveled by bus before and I'm nervous.
Her: Please make sure you arrive at the terminal at least an hour before boarding.
Me: Yes ma'am, I know. But I'm asking about wifi and power outlets.
Her: We do not provide that service on any of our buses.

(At this point she was totally contradicting herself, and then, without asking if there were any more questions, which there were, and with no warning....)

Her: OK. Thank you for calling Greyhound. Have a good day.

Maybe my response to that wasn't Ehell approved, but I was already frustrated as she seemed to have no idea what neither she nor I was talking about. So after that, I said (and I'll admit, my voice got a pretty snarky tone  :-[), "Well, I wasn't finished, but thank you." Then I hung up.

Luckily I had opted to take a survey about my call, so I got an automated call-back a few minutes later in which I proceeded to give that girl the lowest survey score I have ever given a customer service representative. I used to be a CSR, I know it's a hard job, but at least most of them try to answer your questions. I wasn't even calling with a problem or complaint, just general questions. I mean, she wasn't even trying. In the voice message I left in the survey, I said I really hope they redeem themselves when I actually do travel with them, because based on that one phone call, I was not impressed - not in the slightest.

I told Mr. Bottlecaps about it and he said it sounds like maybe she was new, didn't have a good grasp of the English language, and was just connecting certain words and phrases I was using to pre-programmed answers. Either way, I was very disappointed in that call. I guess I won't know what to expect when traveling by Greyhound until I do it here in a couple weeks. :( (Unless maybe any of you lovely Ehellions can give me some advice! :-P)
"Some of the most wonderful people are the ones who don't fit into boxes." -Tori Amos

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #4013 on: April 17, 2013, 03:17:40 PM »
Don't use 867-5309 unless you *know* it's not a valid phone number in your area code. It's valid in my area code and I'm sure those people get plenty of fake phone calls already (at least they did 20 years ago when my friends and I were in junior high  ::) )

Calistoga

« Reply #4014 on: April 17, 2013, 03:25:02 PM »
I always give 555-2368

The Ghostbusters don't mind.

PastryGoddess

• Super Hero!
    • My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4015 on: April 17, 2013, 03:54:07 PM »
Don't use 867-5309 unless you *know* it's not a valid phone number in your area code. It's valid in my area code and I'm sure those people get plenty of fake phone calls already (at least they did 20 years ago when my friends and I were in junior high  ::) )

Very true. The number is still given out in some area codes and is valid.  that's why I give all 9's  The register can't move forward without having something in those fields and It's not fair to take it out on the cashier who has nothing to do with the programming.

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4016 on: April 17, 2013, 03:58:38 PM »
I thought 555-xxxx should work anywhere, since it is reserved for movies/tv shows (OT).

Back on topic: We were in Liverpool on vacation, and went into a pub. I ordered a Caesar salad, and got:
iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, salad cream and large pieces of back bacon.
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #4017 on: April 17, 2013, 07:01:46 PM »
I give 555-3253 (fake)
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4018 on: April 17, 2013, 10:25:15 PM »
I thought 555-xxxx should work anywhere, since it is reserved for movies/tv shows (OT)

Not entirely. Only 555-0100 through 555-0199 are officially reserved as fictitious.  Wikipedia on the topic.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4019 on: April 18, 2013, 04:18:54 AM »
I thought 555-xxxx should work anywhere, since it is reserved for movies/tv shows (OT)

Not entirely. Only 555-0100 through 555-0199 are officially reserved as fictitious.  Wikipedia on the topic.
Cool! So if I call 555-4200 I'll really get The Equalizer!!