Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1212953 times)

Luci

• Super Hero!

norrina

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4051 on: April 30, 2013, 04:47:31 PM »
Nailwrecks?

If I could find an active nailwrecks blog I would totally submit that travesty!

alkira6

« Reply #4052 on: April 30, 2013, 06:05:51 PM »
Nailwrecks?

I hope you didn't pay them. That is horrible.

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4053 on: April 30, 2013, 06:17:25 PM »
Nailwrecks?

No kidding! Heck they should be reimbursing you the cost of having that fixed!!

norrina

« Reply #4054 on: April 30, 2013, 06:27:33 PM »
Nailwrecks?

No kidding! Heck they should be reimbursing you the cost of having that fixed!!

Unfortunately, I did pay them. I didn't realize right away that it was so bad that I was going to have to have it redone, so at the time it didn't feel like fighting over. Now I'm not sure what to do, since I didn't give them the chance to make it right. Once I realized how bad it was though, there was no way I was letting them touch my hands again! (On top of the bad gel job, the tech got a little over zealous with the Dremel tool on my cuticles, so I especially didn't want them having another go at me with it to file off the gel.) so I don't know if it's kosher for me to go demand my money back now.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4055 on: April 30, 2013, 07:24:02 PM »
Definitely never going back to the "Nail Palace" in my hometown!  I actually ended up immediately going elsewhere to have the gel overlay that they did removed and redone. Before I was able to have them redone though, my fiancÚ exclaimed, "What happened to your pinky?!?" [the pinky nail was the worst of them all], and another gentleman took my hand, looked it over thoroughly, and asked, "Oh, honey, who did this to you?" The lady that redid my nails didn't speak much English. Of the few things she said to me, she commented, "Who do you nails? They UGLY."

I have very small hands/nails, and due to a genetic condition my nails will split and break when they don't have an acrylic or gel overlay, and I haven't had an overlay recently, so my nails were fairly short today. The gentleman that greeted me at the door informed me that my nails were too short for an overlay, so I said I would come back later (really, I intended to go to another salon, where I have had a gel overlay done on my "too short" nails before), but the nail tech insisted that I let her see my hands, and promised that she could do the overlay. I should have listened to the gentleman!

The tech did my first nail reasonably well, but then for the other 9 nails she decided that she was going to use a nail form to extend the length. I noticed that she was using the nail form over the my natural nail, when every tech I've been to previously has used it UNDER the nail, but I figured she was the professional so I was going to trust that she knew what she was doing. Afterwards I would realize I placed far too much faith in her.

During the process, half of the nail forms lifted off of my natural nail, resulting in a gap between my natural nail and the overlay. The gel overlay itself was also unnecessarily thick, resulting in a final outcome of an overlay that was about 2 stacked pennies higher off my finger than my natural nail. They looked like this: and

I wouldn't go back there on a bet........if I were you.

Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Jocelyn

« Reply #4056 on: April 30, 2013, 09:08:32 PM »
Speaking of bad smells, I'm finding I can't shop in certain clothing stores anymore. I feel sick everytime I go in. Not that they smell bad, per se, but that there's something in the air that nauseates me. I'm wondering if it's formaldehyde or something. At any rate, it's horrible, because it's DH's favourite shop.
Chemicals used in finishing fabrics can do that.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #4057 on: May 01, 2013, 11:07:32 AM »
Speaking of bad smells, I'm finding I can't shop in certain clothing stores anymore. I feel sick everytime I go in. Not that they smell bad, per se, but that there's something in the air that nauseates me. I'm wondering if it's formaldehyde or something. At any rate, it's horrible, because it's DH's favourite shop.
Chemicals used in finishing fabrics can do that.
That's what I was wondering about.  It's not a perfume smell, it's more like cleaner or some other chemical. Makes me dizzy.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4058 on: May 01, 2013, 11:10:48 AM »
New carpet has quite a gas-off, too.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4059 on: May 01, 2013, 11:39:02 AM »
Not buying Garnier hair color again.  I covered it completely, thouroughly saturated and it didn't color all of it.  I ended up with partially purple locks and some of it a purplish auburn. DH said it looks like I did it on purpose so I guess it doesn't look too bad, but I'm not going to bother with it again.  Will go back to L'Oreal as I've always had good results with that.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Redwing

« Reply #4060 on: May 01, 2013, 12:36:54 PM »
Not buying Garnier hair color again.  I covered it completely, thouroughly saturated and it didn't color all of it.  I ended up with partially purple locks and some of it a purplish auburn. DH said it looks like I did it on purpose so I guess it doesn't look too bad, but I'm not going to bother with it again.  Will go back to L'Oreal as I've always had good results with that.

Oh, I wonder what happened?  I've used Garnier several times without mishap.

Jones

« Reply #4061 on: May 01, 2013, 12:52:28 PM »
Garnier is a favorite of mine. I wonder if there was a chemical reaction between it and residual L'oreal?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4062 on: May 01, 2013, 01:06:59 PM »
That could be.  I guess different brands work differently for different types of hair, too. 
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4063 on: May 02, 2013, 12:31:01 AM »

A friend of mine has to be very careful - sometimes she will touch something that was only just removed from a plastic bag it was shipped it, or if it's still in the bag, and it's a certain kind of bag that seems to be becoming rather more common these days, she turns BRIGHT red. All over. I think it may abate as the items air out, though. But maybe there's something in shipping bag composition that's setting you off?
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4064 on: May 02, 2013, 06:30:51 PM »

Several years ago I colored my hair with Feria. I was going a shade or two lighter than my natural color, which is ash blonde. My hair turned purple. If you've seen Fried Green Tomatoes, when she gets her hair done by the beauty school student, that is what color my hair was. And since I'd used Feria before and hadn't had an issue, I did it a few hours before I had to work so I had to go in with bruise purple hair.