Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1143718 times)

Zenith

• Life's Little Lunatic
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4065 on: May 03, 2013, 04:19:40 AM »
My mother used to henna her hair black/dark brown. One time she decided on brown with a red tint and it came out black but when she stood in the sunlight her hair halo was a bright, vivid violet. Us kiddos cracked up because it was such a change but we loved it but she never forgave us for laughing. The oldest kid was 10 at the time and the youngest was 2, of course we are going to giggle it was such a change. She did get pulled aside at work and had to re dye her hair pretty quick. Now she sticks with the tried and tested standard box black. I wish she would re tint her hair a vivid colour. She is retired so who is going to complain about it in the workplace and surprisingly she carries off purple and red fantastically well. Wish I could but my colouring is all wrong.

When I retire I am going to have he most ridiculous hair I can think of as often as I can and dress as silly as possible :) I use hair chalk now because it washes out instantly but I can have rainbow hair for a day.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4066 on: May 03, 2013, 08:09:24 AM »
Not buying Garnier hair color again.  I covered it completely, thouroughly saturated and it didn't color all of it.  I ended up with partially purple locks and some of it a purplish auburn. DH said it looks like I did it on purpose so I guess it doesn't look too bad, but I'm not going to bother with it again.  Will go back to L'Oreal as I've always had good results with that.

Several years ago I colored my hair with Feria. I was going a shade or two lighter than my natural color, which is ash blonde. My hair turned purple. If you've seen Fried Green Tomatoes, when she gets her hair done by the beauty school student, that is what color my hair was. And since I'd used Feria before and hadn't had an issue, I did it a few hours before I had to work so I had to go in with bruise purple hair.

Oh dear!!  That's awful!

I knew a woman who bought a box of hair color and it turned out a totally different color than she intended, and she'd used this color before with no issues! She looked at the bottles and they were marked as belonging to a kit for a different color.   Someone had switched them I guess.   So now she (and I) always check to make sure the numbers on the bottles match the number on the box!
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4067 on: May 03, 2013, 08:37:46 AM »
The last time I dyed my hair; my scalp started itching......

I miss having the red in my hair more visible (red headed daughter - I carry the genes and so does VorGuy) - but I don't like itching......

I shouldn't have skipped the skin test that time - famous last words.

(spelling corrected - dyed and died do not mean the same thing - no matter what Spell Check thinks)
« Last Edit: May 03, 2013, 08:56:52 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4068 on: May 03, 2013, 02:09:40 PM »
That's another thing. My head's been itchy recently and it wasn't before I colored my hair.  I know I don't have lice because they won't cut your hair if you just have the nits.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Shalamar

« Reply #4069 on: May 03, 2013, 04:35:32 PM »
My scalp is always itchy the week after I've had my hair coloured.   I love the salon that I go to, but I sure don't love that part.

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #4070 on: May 03, 2013, 06:05:39 PM »
Mum reminded me of this.  This is more her story, not mine, and for a product that she bought a long time ago.

She bought a cooking program, with a promise on their website of a 200 percent guaranteed refund if the consumer wasn't happy.

Mum wasn't happy, tried to contact customer support to help her solve something, ended up getting hung up on, wrote a review of the software on Amazon giving her fair opinion, and tried to return the software, only to get told to take a screenshot of the uninstaller and he'd revoke the key.

We did, and they refused to give her the money back.

Then the guy who owned it wrote against her review, calling her, basically, a liar.

We did more research, turns out the guy never lives up to his refund promises, always calls out people who review his program poorly, and, thanks to some snooping we did, used a lot of shill accounts to post glowing reviews of his product.  We also think we found traces of RecipeFox in the program, but no way to prove or disprove that.  He's also using Mozilla's codebase, but without a credit to Mozilla.

On the latest, he's also promising a feature on the box and write up that hasn't been released, nearly a year and a half after the program's release.

This guy is a general schmuck, and I'd avoid dealing with him at all costs.  If anyone is curious, I'll tell you the program name in email.  Let's just say I'm getting a headache thinking about this, again...

Kaora

• I'm just a singer in a rock and roll band
« Reply #4071 on: May 03, 2013, 06:37:53 PM »
I can see why you'd be "disappetized."  But yeah, in hindsight, pretty funny.  Consider it part of the ambiance - deep south, fish camp, squatting dude with plumber's crack...

Had this happen at a tea house in Huntington Gardens, CA.  It was a female patron sitting on a metal folding chair.  Thing was FRAMED for all to see.  My cucumber sandwiches lost their appeal, but it's a funny story now.  ;)

Back to Square One? ;D

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4072 on: May 03, 2013, 08:16:06 PM »
The last time I died my hair; my scalp started itching......

I miss having the red in my hair more visible (red headed daughter - I carry the genes and so does VorGuy) - but I don't like itching......

I shouldn't have skipped the skin test that time - famous last words.

Mine did this every time I've ever colored my hair until a friend taught me a nifty little trick to help ease the itching and burning...add a few drops of oil to it before you begin mixing the dye and developer.  Doesn't matter what kind.  I've used almond oil, jojoba oil, and even olive oil.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Dr. F.

« Reply #4073 on: May 03, 2013, 08:31:37 PM »
Not buying Garnier hair color again.  I covered it completely, thouroughly saturated and it didn't color all of it.  I ended up with partially purple locks and some of it a purplish auburn. DH said it looks like I did it on purpose so I guess it doesn't look too bad, but I'm not going to bother with it again.  Will go back to L'Oreal as I've always had good results with that.

Several years ago I colored my hair with Feria. I was going a shade or two lighter than my natural color, which is ash blonde. My hair turned purple. If you've seen Fried Green Tomatoes, when she gets her hair done by the beauty school student, that is what color my hair was. And since I'd used Feria before and hadn't had an issue, I did it a few hours before I had to work so I had to go in with bruise purple hair.

Oh dear!!  That's awful!

I knew a woman who bought a box of hair color and it turned out a totally different color than she intended, and she'd used this color before with no issues! She looked at the bottles and they were marked as belonging to a kit for a different color.   Someone had switched them I guess.   So now she (and I) always check to make sure the numbers on the bottles match the number on the box!

Back in the 80's, I dyed my hair black (pure Goth). After a year or so, I  decided to lighten it back to my normal reddish-brown. Yeah, don't do that. PYLON ORANGE. It took a solid day at a salon to recover to something looking even remotely natural.

Iris

« Reply #4074 on: May 03, 2013, 08:39:36 PM »
My scalp is always itchy the week after I've had my hair coloured.   I love the salon that I go to, but I sure don't love that part.

Just as a sort of Public Health Statement, can I just let you know that hair dye allergies can get a LOT worse VERY quickly (trust me, I've been there  :P). If you ever have any kind of swelling starting in the day or so after dyeing your hair, go to hospital immediately.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4075 on: May 03, 2013, 08:57:48 PM »
Never shopping at Stephanie's Boutique Lingerie again. :P

In the months leading up to my wedding to the Good Ethnic Boy, I went looking for a pretty white corselet set - you know, fairly traditional strapless Sexy Wedding Undies. We went to Stephanie's to check it out, and found a lot of nice things, but nothing over a size 12B (er... Australian sizing there, I'm not sure how it maps over to US sizing, but think fairly slender). Some items didn't have anything over a 10A. At the time I was a 14DD in 'normal' clothes and an 18 in wedding dress sizing, so think curves and some padding but not bigger than a reasonable 'average' build.

The shop assistant told us that they were expecting a delivery in a couple of months and would have larger sizes available then, so advised me to call them to check every so often and come in when their delivery was in. I did. And oh, boy...

I had a quick look around and once again didn't find anything over about a size 10, so asked the shop assistant (can't remember if it was the same one as the first visit). Her response? "Oh, our delivery came in two weeks ago! You should have come in sooner. We sell out of those sizes really quickly."

I wish there was a font that could convey the tone of disgust and contempt she used for the word 'those'. As I was blinking at her, she went on:

"If you're after a corselet to squeeze yourself down, it won't work; you'll bulge out underneath it." She started miming rolls of fat around her waist and hips, then pointed at some things hanging on the wall that looked like flesh-coloured wetsuits. "I can recommend our control bodysuits, they look horrible but they work miracles."

Deity forbid I have a little excess flesh and still want to wear sexy undies. How could I possibly be happy with my body when I wear those sizes? Of course I must want to 'squeeze myself down' into a smaller wedding dress! I managed to mutter something fairly polite in the way of refusal, walked out feeling fat and ugly... then got mad instead. We found a much better lingerie shop and got me some AWESOME stuff. Ha.

I'm now a 16E in most styles of underwear, still think I look dang sexy in the right outfits (cleavage ahoy!), and make the Good Ethnic Boy laugh by hissing at the radio whenever an ad for Stephanie's comes on.  >:D
"Set aphasia to stun!"

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4076 on: May 03, 2013, 08:59:32 PM »

Just as a sort of Public Health Statement, can I just let you know that hair dye allergies can get a LOT worse VERY quickly (trust me, I've been there  :P). If you ever have any kind of swelling starting in the day or so after dyeing your hair, go to hospital immediately.

Barely pregnant coworker of VorGuy's dyed her hair it's usual blonde.  Itchy rash broke out almost immediately.

ER offered her this lovely cortisone shot for the rash & itch, she mentioned the pregnancy, and got a much weaker cortisone cream to "help with the itching" - it took days to go away.....and she had to wait six or seven months to color her hair again. 
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Iris

« Reply #4077 on: May 03, 2013, 09:31:42 PM »

Barely pregnant coworker of VorGuy's dyed her hair it's usual blonde.  Itchy rash broke out almost immediately.

ER offered her this lovely cortisone shot for the rash & itch, she mentioned the pregnancy, and got a much weaker cortisone cream to "help with the itching" - it took days to go away.....and she had to wait six or seven months to color her hair again.

I just have to go grey gracefully, darn it all to heck  >:(. Okay, I'm still working on the 'gracefully' part  ;D
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

daen

« Reply #4078 on: May 03, 2013, 09:38:40 PM »

I just have to go grey gracefully, darn it all to heck  >:(. Okay, I'm still working on the 'gracefully' part  ;D

Heh. I'm wavering between dyeing my hair purple (over my current brown, not with a pre-bleach to make it flaringly obvious) and adding more grey. I'm curious as to how I'll look with grey, and as I'm away from most family and friends for another five months (for a year in total), an evil part of my brain wants to see the reaction when I come back with lots of silver highlights...

Dr. F.

« Reply #4079 on: May 03, 2013, 09:49:18 PM »

Heh. I'm wavering between dyeing my hair purple (over my current brown, not with a pre-bleach to make it flaringly obvious) and adding more grey. I'm curious as to how I'll look with grey, and as I'm away from most family and friends for another five months (for a year in total), an evil part of my brain wants to see the reaction when I come back with lots of silver highlights...

It's always kinda been my goal to get verdigris copper color in my hair - copper, green, gray. I think it would be lovely. Younger, I aimed for cherry-wood - brown with streaks of red and darker brown.