Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1211954 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4080 on: May 03, 2013, 09:51:08 PM »
I know someone who has a mix of grey and brown mixed in and it looks AH-MA-ZING. I think it helps that she has a really good hair cut to show it off

Minmom3

« Reply #4081 on: May 03, 2013, 09:53:47 PM »
My scalp is always itchy the week after I've had my hair coloured.   I love the salon that I go to, but I sure don't love that part.

Just as a sort of Public Health Statement, can I just let you know that hair dye allergies can get a LOT worse VERY quickly (trust me, I've been there  :P). If you ever have any kind of swelling starting in the day or so after dyeing your hair, go to hospital immediately.

Please, do not dispense medical advice or what medication to take.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2013, 06:56:04 PM by cass2591 »
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Minmom3

« Reply #4082 on: May 03, 2013, 09:58:52 PM »
My scalp is always itchy the week after I've had my hair coloured.   I love the salon that I go to, but I sure don't love that part.

Just as a sort of Public Health Statement, can I just let you know that hair dye allergies can get a LOT worse VERY quickly (trust me, I've been there  :P). If you ever have any kind of swelling starting in the day or so after dyeing your hair, go to hospital immediately.

Barely pregnant coworker of VorGuy's dyed her hair it's usual blonde.  Itchy rash broke out almost immediately.

ER offered her this lovely cortisone shot for the rash & itch, she mentioned the pregnancy, and got a much weaker cortisone cream to "help with the itching" - it took days to go away.....and she had to wait six or seven months to color her hair again.

I just have to go grey gracefully, darn it all to heck  >:(. Okay, I'm still working on the 'gracefully' part  ;D

Heh. I'm wavering between dyeing my hair purple (over my current brown, not with a pre-bleach to make it flaringly obvious) and adding more grey. I'm curious as to how I'll look with grey, and as I'm away from most family and friends for another five months (for a year in total), an evil part of my brain wants to see the reaction when I come back with lots of silver highlights...

It's always kinda been my goal to get verdigris copper color in my hair - copper, green, gray. I think it would be lovely. Younger, I aimed for cherry-wood - brown with streaks of red and darker brown.

Once upon a time, I was in a group that also had a young man who was starting his career as a hair dresser.  He did great hair.  He went to a convention somewhere in Florida (Miami?  other?) and got asked to go into a shop and do an old lady's hair as an emergency/favor.  And he did.  And he mixed up some unfamiliar chemicals and got olive green, rather than the standard Little Old Lady lavender or blue tint.  And.... he was horrified and extremely apologetic. 

The next day, the little old lady came up to him and said she had some friends who really liked that color, and could he do it for them, too, pretty pleeeeeze?!  His rendition of this story had us laughing to hard we cried... 
Mother to children and fuzz butts....

Miss Tickle

« Reply #4083 on: May 03, 2013, 10:04:43 PM »
Speaking of bad smells, I'm finding I can't shop in certain clothing stores anymore. I feel sick everytime I go in. Not that they smell bad, per se, but that there's something in the air that nauseates me. I'm wondering if it's formaldehyde or something. At any rate, it's horrible, because it's DH's favourite shop.

A friend of mine has to be very careful - sometimes she will touch something that was only just removed from a plastic bag it was shipped it, or if it's still in the bag, and it's a certain kind of bag that seems to be becoming rather more common these days, she turns BRIGHT red. All over. I think it may abate as the items air out, though. But maybe there's something in shipping bag composition that's setting you off?

That's a good question. Nothing is in a bag when I see it, and it happens at one chain that carries mostly clothing and footwear, but I haven't really noticed it in other stores.

Dazi

• like the flower
« Reply #4084 on: May 03, 2013, 10:21:55 PM »
A friend of mine has to be very careful - sometimes she will touch something that was only just removed from a plastic bag it was shipped it, or if it's still in the bag, and it's a certain kind of bag that seems to be becoming rather more common these days, she turns BRIGHT red. All over. I think it may abate as the items air out, though. But maybe there's something in shipping bag composition that's setting you off?

I used to have this happen a lot, especially when I was too young to do my own laundry.  My mother is of the mind that it's perfectly fine to wear socks straight out of the pack without washing them first.  I would break out in this horrible red, nearly purple looking rash and my feet felt like they were on fire.

At least as a super smeller, I can usually identify troublesome clothing just by the smell now.  I have to be very careful what I try on in stores and why I prefer thift stores for some things (jeans come to mind).  If I am planning on shopping, I typically take a preemptive benedryl and shower as soon as I get home.  I wash new clothes in the hottest setting they can handle and wash them twice on the longest cycle with a vinegar rinse...if I can still smell chemicals, they get hung out in the sun for a few hours, then I rewash them to get the pollen off.
Meditate. Live purely. Quiet the mind. Do your work with mastery. Like the moon, come out from behind the clouds! Shine. ---Gautama Buddah

Browyn

« Reply #4085 on: May 03, 2013, 10:47:26 PM »
The last time I died my hair; my scalp started itching......

I miss having the red in my hair more visible (red headed daughter - I carry the genes and so does VorGuy) - but I don't like itching......

I shouldn't have skipped the skin test that time - famous last words.

Mine did this every time I've ever colored my hair until a friend taught me a nifty little trick to help ease the itching and burning...add a few drops of oil to it before you begin mixing the dye and developer.  Doesn't matter what kind.  I've used almond oil, jojoba oil, and even olive oil.

Maybe try the new Olia from Garnier?  Its oil instead of ammonia based.  i had good luck with it, not smelly and left my hair shiny.  One tip - get yourself a mixing bottle, the one that comes with it is teardrop shaped and hard to hold with wet hands.

Jones

« Reply #4086 on: May 03, 2013, 11:49:16 PM »
Heh. I'm wavering between dyeing my hair purple (over my current brown, not with a pre-bleach to make it flaringly obvious) and adding more grey. I'm curious as to how I'll look with grey, and as I'm away from most family and friends for another five months (for a year in total), an evil part of my brain wants to see the reaction when I come back with lots of silver highlights...
One tip, if you do go purple; the salon stylist told me I'd better sleep with dark pillowcases and use dark towels for a couple days, as excess color would rub off. Boy was she right. I keep finding purple marks about the house in places I leaned my head and didn't realize it....sadly the purple was gone in a few weeks (it's worse than red for staying in) and I haven't decided if I want to redye, as I'll have to wear a hood around the house this time, I think....

nuit93

« Reply #4087 on: May 04, 2013, 12:08:17 AM »
One tip, if you do go purple; the salon stylist told me I'd better sleep with dark pillowcases and use dark towels for a couple days, as excess color would rub off. Boy was she right. I keep finding purple marks about the house in places I leaned my head and didn't realize it....sadly the purple was gone in a few weeks (it's worse than red for staying in) and I haven't decided if I want to redye, as I'll have to wear a hood around the house this time, I think....

Yep, the color sheds.  I have a friend who gets purple and turquoise highlights in her hair regularly, she ended up buying bedsheets in those colors just to avoid ruining other sets. 

Which is fine since those are her favorite colors.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4088 on: May 04, 2013, 02:23:27 AM »
Could the hairdye and allergy discussion please be taken to another thread?

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4089 on: May 09, 2013, 10:43:03 PM »
Not NEVER never, since MIL and Babybartfast still love it, but tonight's experience at Cracker Barrel was absolutely surreal.  Among the four of us, there were five major mistakes with our meal - no one had the right food!  I suspect the server had poor hearing or something, because some of the mistakes were probably due to miscommunication - I ordered chicken livers and got chicken fingers, and Babybartfast ordered a grilled cheese and got grilled chicken.  MIL got the entirely wrong sauce on her entree, though, and DH's cheeseburger was wrong even though the server clarified exactly what he wanted and wrote it down!  I also never got the lemonade I ordered.  When they brought our food the second time (the right food), the manager came by, and I made a point of saying "I didn't get the lemonade I ordered but that's okay; I don't need it now."  (Since we were half done with the meal by then.)  The server then brought me the wrong lemonade "just in case", which would have been nice if it hadn't then showed up on the bill (at the higher price the lemonade I actually asked for was billed at).

I did track down the manager and told him I wanted the lemonade off the bill (and explained that I didn't want to get the server or the kitchen in too much trouble, not knowing the source of the issue, but the mistakes in our food were ridiculous).  He took off the lemonade and our desserts, which I didn't ask for but kind of half expected  :P

Anyway, the food was better than usual (when we finally got the right food!) and I do appreciate the reduced bill, but I spent the whole time sitting there waiting for my corrected dinner and wondering what eHell would think  :P

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4090 on: May 09, 2013, 10:45:34 PM »
LOL!  It almost sounds like they brought another table's order to yours.  I wonder if there were other diners that night who also got meals they hadn't ordered?  :)

You handled everything just fine.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4091 on: May 09, 2013, 10:50:08 PM »
LOL!  It almost sounds like they brought another table's order to yours.  I wonder if there were other diners that night who also got meals they hadn't ordered?  :)

You handled everything just fine.

I would have thought that if the sides hadn't been right  :)  The server didn't look like it was his first day or anything, and it was a loud room, so I really do suspect he's got less-than-stellar hearing and/or really bad handwriting  :P

iridaceae

• Boring in real life as well
« Reply #4092 on: May 10, 2013, 05:15:30 AM »
One of the cellphone store locations. I had a cheap old pay as you go and lost the power cord. It was a weird one and so I was dubious if it was still made but hey. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

The young lady at the AT & T store was all condescending and dismissive because it's an old cheap pay as you go. Nope,  weren't made anymore. Try online, Radio Shack or Walmart. And she basically said goodbye. I left.

Radio Shack said sorry but hey we can help you get a new pay as you go and switch the number so you can keep it. Sold. Yeah I got a cheap model but even if the Radio Shack guy was disappointed over that he was professional enough not to show it.

Reika

« Reply #4093 on: May 10, 2013, 05:22:52 AM »
Radio Shack said sorry but hey we can help you get a new pay as you go and switch the number so you can keep it. Sold. Yeah I got a cheap model but even if the Radio Shack guy was disappointed over that he was professional enough not to show it.

When I was trying to find a power cord for my one tablet and I hit Radio Shack, the guy was disappointed (and amazed) that he couldn't find anything that fit the stupid thing.

Cami

« Reply #4094 on: May 10, 2013, 12:08:58 PM »
We just returned from a short vacation in the tourist mecca city in which my dd lives. We went to one restaurant to which we will never return. Every single entree was wrong. And not even remotely close to correct. I ordered a steak and got stew. My dh ordered chicken and got a salad. My dd ordered chicken and got soup. The waitress kept insisting that she'd written down those entrees because that's what we ordered and showed us her pad. I told her, "I'm sorry. But we most certainly did not order those meals. We ordered..." She kept arguing with us. My dd actually asked the waitress if we were being punked. We had to ask for the manager and he acted so put out by our wanting the meals we actually ordered, that we got up and left the restaurant.

My dd had cobalt blue put in her hair and it was a freaking nightmare for her clothes and bed linens and even, our tub. It dyed our tub blue. ANd kept dying it blue every single day of the weeks she had her hair blue -- in other words, the blue NEVER stopped leaching out of her hair. We spent HOURS cleaning the blue out of the tub. She has been forbidden from dying her hair a color like that while living in our home.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2013, 12:13:17 PM by Cami »