Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1093882 times)

zyrs

• spiffily male.
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4110 on: May 12, 2013, 11:55:23 PM »
He doesn't want fat people, ugly people or people who aren't the 'cool kids' wearing his brand.

Hillia

« Reply #4111 on: May 13, 2013, 01:16:12 AM »
He also says something about how their target customer is 'a cool kid with a great attitude'.  I fail to see how judging people based on their appearance shows a 'great attitude'.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

cabbagegirl28

• violinp's my sister :)
    • My Fitness/Singing Blog
« Reply #4112 on: May 13, 2013, 01:24:53 AM »
Yeah, they make big size clothing for their men's line, but they only go up to large for women. Basically, fat women wearing that brand make Abercromie & Fitch look bad, apparently.

Frankly, if he wants to let the nasty insults fly, fine. He should just know how much money he's losing the company by saying all those things. I know some of my friends are talking about donating the clothes to homeless shelters, since their corporate headquarters apparently burns leftover stock so poor people can't wear their clothes.

"To study and practice the goodness of life, the beauty of art, the meaning of music...To speak the words that build, that bless and comfort...And again, to practice./This is to be our symphony."

atirial

• just 'plane mad
    • Cat blog
« Reply #4113 on: May 13, 2013, 05:20:08 AM »
He also says something about how their target customer is 'a cool kid with a great attitude'.  I fail to see how judging people based on their appearance shows a 'great attitude'.
He said he was going after kids with "a great attitude and lots of friends." Now, I wouldn't think that someone with a 'great attitude' would shop at a store that makes their friends unwelcome.

Mad Goat Woman

• formerly Hamlet: The Original Emo
    • Mad Goat Woman
« Reply #4114 on: May 13, 2013, 07:16:53 AM »
Yeah, they make big size clothing for their men's line, but they only go up to large for women. Basically, fat women wearing that brand make Abercromie & Fitch look bad, apparently.

Frankly, if he wants to let the nasty insults fly, fine. He should just know how much money he's losing the company by saying all those things. I know some of my friends are talking about donating the clothes to homeless shelters, since their corporate headquarters apparently burns leftover stock so poor people can't wear their clothes.

Bolding mine.

That just seems so wasteful!

Captains Flat, Australia

dawbs

« Reply #4115 on: May 13, 2013, 07:56:58 AM »

Bolding mine.

That just seems so wasteful!

It's a fairly common practice.
It has it's reasons because of scarcity relating to value; if these items could be bought (because of someone picking them up or them ending up in a 'cheap' retailer) for 1/4 the price as it costs in regular stores, then the initial articles of clothing will only be worth 1/4 their regular price.

Heck, in a box in my office are a few hundred t-shirts printed w/ my employer's logo, from some events from previous years.
I can't donate them (having the entire homless population in my area wearing my employers logo = problematic).  I don't want to regale them all to rags.  Can't burn them.  Cant give them out to people who attend our events (here, have a t-shirt from 2001)...they're in t-shirt limbo-hell.

Jones

« Reply #4116 on: May 13, 2013, 08:08:33 AM »
His statements have made some friends of mine giggle. See, there's a woman in my town who looooves the brand. She is too big for their largest size, but she buys it anyway and squeezes in; doesn't seem all that great for the A&F image. 

Perhaps that should go in the "things I shouldn't laugh about" thread.

Personally? He has the right to market to whomever he wants, but a lot of those people love and support the people that have been rejected by his store. I've never worn the brand. The models who are paid to wear the clothes are usually half naked and getting nakeder in the ads. If you can't pay beautiful people to keep them on, why should the rest of us?

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4117 on: May 13, 2013, 08:14:51 AM »
cabbacgegirl28 wrote:

"I know some of my friends are talking about donating the clothes to homeless shelters, since their corporate headquarters apparently burns leftover stock so poor people can't wear their clothes."

I could only find a single source for this, coming from an article written three years ago and quoting a district manager who would not be named.  Given only one anonymous source I'm left to wonder about its veracity.  Can anyone find any A&F representative going on the record with this policy?  It doesn't make a lot of sense specifically because people could donate their castoffs so it wouldn't be tremendously effective at keeping the brand away from "poor people".

Virg

Margo

« Reply #4118 on: May 13, 2013, 08:33:15 AM »
<snip>[quote author=dawbs link=topic=83832.msg2941963#msg2941963 date=1368446218

Heck, in a box in my office are a few hundred t-shirts printed w/ my employer's logo, from some events from previous years.
I can't donate them (having the entire homless population in my area wearing my employers logo = problematic).  I don't want to regale them all to rags.  Can't burn them.  Cant give them out to people who attend our events (here, have a t-shirt from 2001)...they're in t-shirt limbo-hell.
[/quote]

Could you donate them our of your area? Might be less of an issue if a lot of people in another state are wearing your employers logo? (Of course, you need someone who is travelling a distance away and willing to haul a big box of shirts to heir local goodwill store on a arrival, but it could work...

dawbs

« Reply #4119 on: May 13, 2013, 08:36:58 AM »
<snip>[quote author=dawbs link=topic=83832.msg2941963#msg2941963 date=1368446218

Could you donate them our of your area? Might be less of an issue if a lot of people in another state are wearing your employers logo? (Of course, you need someone who is travelling a distance away and willing to haul a big box of shirts to heir local goodwill store on a arrival, but it could work...
[/quote]
Cost of shipping makes it not very cost effective, pretty quickly.
And I have tried to convince my employer to let me send them someplace and been vetoed, still, for the moment.

Xandraea

« Reply #4120 on: May 13, 2013, 08:41:38 AM »

And I have tried to convince my employer to let me send them someplace and been vetoed, still, for the moment.
[/quote]

Wouldn't having the company logo out there be good advertising, regardless who wore it?  As long as it didn't look like an employee uniform,  having droves of homeless people wearing the company logo may just make the company look generous for its donation.

dawbs

« Reply #4121 on: May 13, 2013, 08:48:14 AM »

Wouldn't having the company logo out there be good advertising, regardless who wore it?  As long as it didn't look like an employee uniform,  having droves of homeless people wearing the company logo may just make the company look generous for its donation.
[/quote]

Not really.
my employer is a nonprofit in a severely depressed area.  We already have the recognition, we are constantly fighting the stereotype that we're overrun w/ homeless people, dangerous people, etc.

cattlekid

« Reply #4122 on: May 13, 2013, 08:49:12 AM »
RE:  A&F - this is SO not E-Hell approved but I have a scheme that evil Cattlekid would love to carry out some day. 

I would take my 200 lb. self into A&F and start browsing the smallest clothes, daring an employee to come up to me and tell me that I wouldn't fit in anything in their store (which did happen to me once at Chico's).  Then I would proceed to tell them that I was shopping for a cousin (I have cousins who are less than half my age and in the A&F target market) and proceed to ask for a manager and start into a calm but long tirade about how staff should not assume anything about their customers except that they are in the store to spend money and staff should be helpful, not hurtful.  My entire goal would be to have the manager and the staff member in a heap on the floor by the time I was done. 

Like I said, SO not E-Hell approved, but it would be oh so cathartic. 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4123 on: May 13, 2013, 08:51:34 AM »
Destroying leftover stock rather than marking it down isn't uncommon. I know that a lot of floral stores puncture & toss balloons, throw out candy & stuffed animals, etc. after a holiday rather than mark them down. The thought behind it is, if people know they can get it the day after for half off why would they pay full price in the days before? The florists I knew hated it but that's the way it is. I could see "high end" boutiques and such subscribing to the same policy.

mmswm

« Reply #4124 on: May 13, 2013, 09:02:49 AM »
When my size 0 niece was in high school her group of friends refused to wear A&F because of the exclusionary attitude of the CEO.  My niece was one of the popular kids, so that's an awful lot of "beautiful people" and "cool kids" who were disgusted by the company. He has a right to market however he likes, but if my niece's friends are any indication, his brand is losing ground in the very market he wants to attract.
Some people lift weights.  I lift measures.  It's a far more esoteric workout. - (Quoted from a personal friend)