Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1271726 times)

Julia Mercer

• Country Gals Fan Page
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4155 on: May 16, 2013, 02:02:19 AM »
Can we please take the A&F talk to another thread, don't want to see this great thread get closed down, like a lot of others!

twiggy

• wonder what this thing is
« Reply #4156 on: May 16, 2013, 02:20:25 AM »
I'm done with our nearest IHOP. Service is slow, and we never get everything we order. We went last week, and spent 25 minutes waiting for pancakes. I've never worked at IHOP, but when I was at Cracker Barrel, our target was 8 min for breakfast foods, and 13 min for lunch/dinner. It wasn't terribly crowded either. I suspect that our waitress forgot to put in our order because a table with a much larger party that was seated and ordered after us got their food first.  >:(  When our food finally came, DH's meal was missing a side, my hash browns were burned black, and we didn't get the milks we had ordered for the kids. After dropping the food off, our server was MIA. We finally just went up front to pay the bill, and I let the manager know everything that had gone badly. She was very sympathetic, but in the end her reaction boiled down to "wow, that sucks, well you have a good day now"
In the United States today, there is a pervasive tendency to treat children as adults, and adults as children.  The options of children are thus steadily expanded, while those of adults are progressively constricted.  The result is unruly children and childish adults.  ~Thomas Szasz

BB-VA

« Reply #4157 on: May 16, 2013, 07:45:11 AM »
I'm done with our nearest IHOP. Service is slow, and we never get everything we order. We went last week, and spent 25 minutes waiting for pancakes. I've never worked at IHOP, but when I was at Cracker Barrel, our target was 8 min for breakfast foods, and 13 min for lunch/dinner. It wasn't terribly crowded either. I suspect that our waitress forgot to put in our order because a table with a much larger party that was seated and ordered after us got their food first.  >:(  When our food finally came, DH's meal was missing a side, my hash browns were burned black, and we didn't get the milks we had ordered for the kids. After dropping the food off, our server was MIA. We finally just went up front to pay the bill, and I let the manager know everything that had gone badly. She was very sympathetic, but in the end her reaction boiled down to "wow, that sucks, well you have a good day now"

This sounds familiar - but I thought it was just our local IHOP.   I have had decent service at others, but locally - meh.  I had a similar experience to yours (server forgot to put in the order) but at least the manager gave us a 50% discount.  We have been several times - but the experience has never been good.   And the parking lot seems to be awfully empty.

"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

cattlekid

« Reply #4158 on: May 16, 2013, 09:07:12 AM »
I had a bad experience (my first!) at Panera Bread last night.  They just started offering cold soba noodles with chilled shrimp as a summer special.  So of course, that's what I wanted to try as our knitting group goes to Panera every other Wednesday night so new items are welcomed! 

I placed my order and noticed that there were at least a dozen people waiting for their food even though I was the only one ordering.  After about 20 minutes of waiting, I went up to the counter and asked about my salad.  The expediter didn't say much except that the noodles had to be prepped and now he is waiting for shrimp.  I told him that was not really acceptable and he didn't say anything but kept working on his other orders. 

At this point, I was getting frustrated as I had never had to wait that long for an item at Panera before, even at their busiest on a Saturday morning.  I did find the manager who was apologetic as she was in the back (prepping shrimp!) and wasn't aware that there were such long waits (I checked the expediter monitor and there were others waiting as long as I was for differing items).  She also mentioned that they were so busy this past week that they were running out of everything.  Being that I work in the restaurant industry, I could see her point, but it still didn't explain the long wait for an item that was clearly advertised as a new product and should have been overstocked, if anything.

She did offer another item as a replacement, but I told her that since I was already there, and planning on staying for a while, it wasn't necessary but that I just wanted to bring it to her attention as it was such an anomaly. 

I can't say that I won't ever go to Panera again because it's where our knitting group typically meets, but there are several other restaurants in the vicinity that I might suggest until Panera gets over their supply issues.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4159 on: May 16, 2013, 09:27:51 AM »

This sounds familiar - but I thought it was just our local IHOP.   I have had decent service at others, but locally - meh.  I had a similar experience to yours (server forgot to put in the order) but at least the manager gave us a 50% discount.  We have been several times - but the experience has never been good.   And the parking lot seems to be awfully empty.

The IHOPs here are pretty good with quick and friendly service. I think you should complain to corporate.

rose red

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4160 on: May 16, 2013, 10:28:45 AM »
We've talked about IHOP before but I don't remember if I said this already.  The IHOP by my house was so awesome.  Friendly and fast service.  Sparkling clean.  Balloons for the children.  Food was always fresh and perfectly made.  The line was out the door on weekends.

Then the manager left.  After that, everything went downhill and I haven't been back in over a year.  Driving past, I don't see those lines anymore either.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4161 on: May 16, 2013, 02:20:56 PM »

The one nearest me is always packed, and given that the pancakes are like cardboard disks, I can't for the life of me figure out why. I only go there in times of desperation.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Snooks

« Reply #4162 on: May 17, 2013, 05:55:20 PM »
I can't remember if I've mentioned this place before but I will not be going to the independent coffee shop near me again.  DH and I went in and the girl behind the counter stared at us blankly, no welcome or acknowledgement of our presence.  This place boasts about how it roasts all it's own beans and offers different types of coffee - no choice was offered when we gave her our order (questions didn't seem welcome).  We asked about the cake which again they boast about being local and independent, she told us it was coffee, it turned out to be coffee and walnut and was dry and tasteless.  After we ordered she stared at us blankly again so we went and sat down.  Despite there being no-one in front of us it took over five minutes to bring us two coffees.

I posted a review on trip advisor and a few other reviews on there made similar comments.  The owner's response is basically "You don't understand coffee, we're local and independent you should support us".  No response to the comments about staff rudeness.  Think I'll be sticking with Starbucks, at least the staff are friendly and capable of offering some customer service.

Thipu1

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4163 on: May 17, 2013, 08:17:47 PM »
Don't you hate when you're told that you 'don't understand' simple food items?

We went to a new Italian place that looked good.  When the food came to the table, it also looked good.  The problem was that my ziti was crunchy. 

We politely complained and were informed that Americans like their pasta mushy and don't understand what 'al dente' means.  We understood 'al dente' well enough.  we just didn't understand 'al raw'. Unless the recipe includes nuts, ziti should not crunch.     

Library Dragon

« Reply #4164 on: May 18, 2013, 12:54:17 AM »
Don't you hate when you're told that you 'don't understand' simple food items?

We went to a new Italian place that looked good.  When the food came to the table, it also looked good.  The problem was that my ziti was crunchy. 

We politely complained and were informed that Americans like their pasta mushy and don't understand what 'al dente' means.  We understood 'al dente' well enough.  we just didn't understand 'al raw'. Unless the recipe includes nuts, ziti should not crunch.   

Ha! Reminds me of my first trip to Egypt. The common refrain was, "That's the way we serve in this part of Egypt." Okay.

In Luxor we ordered fish in a restaurant next to the river.  It was frozen in the middle.  When my husband pointed this out we were told this was a regional variation.  We told everyone in our group and the group parralleling our tour not to go there.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

MissRose

« Reply #4165 on: May 18, 2013, 07:28:03 AM »

Only 1 IHOP I have had a good experience out of town, but my local one, the service is slower than molasses, and my 89 year old grandmother with a walker could get me my meal fast.   So I do not go to my local IHOP.

MissRose

« Reply #4166 on: May 18, 2013, 02:36:16 PM »
I would say the current car dealership my sister has been going to for some warranty work they are doing for her recent used car purchase.  I am sure the work is being done right but their idea of estimated times is beyond me.   My sister was told to drop off the car at 10 am, and it would be a couple of hours to get the stuff done.  I met her at the dealer, then we went and did some shopping, then she rang up the dealer, and was told they had not yet gotten to her car around 12:30pm.  So me and my sister headed back to her home, she made dinner, the kids (ages 11 and 13) arrived from school and then after a few house things were sorted then she got ready for her evening shift at work.   

The car was done by 5pm.   They did not call her, she called them first on the way there (20 minute drive there).  I am not impressed to say the least. Neither is she!

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #4167 on: May 18, 2013, 02:46:30 PM »
The Dunkin Donuts (in a gas station) near my house.

I did the drive through yesterday at 6:30 am. They open at 5 am, according to the DD website and the posted hours on the window. 

I pull up, and this conversation happens:

Female Employee (FE):  "Hi. Please hold."
Me: Okay."
FE: "What would you like to order?"
Me: A coffee coolata with a...
FE: "The machine is off."
Me: "Okay....a wake up wrap with..."
FE: Those take too long to make. SIGH.
Me: A bagel? non toasted?
FE: Those are FROZEN.
Me: Croissant?
FE: FROZEN
Me: Do you have anything besides donuts for breakfast today?
FE: No. This is DUNKIN DONUTS. We have DONUTS.
Me: Yeah. Thanks.

Drives away to another DD 2 minutes away, on the same road.  There I asked for and received my wake up wrap, coolata and donut. 

CakeBeret

« Reply #4168 on: May 18, 2013, 05:20:14 PM »
The Dunkin Donuts (in a gas station) near my house.

I did the drive through yesterday at 6:30 am. They open at 5 am, according to the DD website and the posted hours on the window. 

I pull up, and this conversation happens:

Female Employee (FE):  "Hi. Please hold."
Me: Okay."
FE: "What would you like to order?"
Me: A coffee coolata with a...
FE: "The machine is off."
Me: "Okay....a wake up wrap with..."
FE: Those take too long to make. SIGH.
Me: A bagel? non toasted?
FE: Those are FROZEN.
Me: Croissant?
FE: FROZEN
Me: Do you have anything besides donuts for breakfast today?
FE: No. This is DUNKIN DONUTS. We have DONUTS.
Me: Yeah. Thanks.

Drives away to another DD 2 minutes away, on the same road.  There I asked for and received my wake up wrap, coolata and donut. 

That is one situation where I think you absolutely should write to corporate. That's terrible!
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4169 on: May 18, 2013, 05:39:18 PM »
I'd post it on Not Always Working.