Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 979458 times)

norrina

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4260 on: June 10, 2013, 12:42:53 PM »
Bye bye to our local credit union...

We opened our accounts with a credit union initially because there were no fees. After we had been with them maybe 6 months they announced that they would start assessing fees on their checking accounts. They were going to offer a free "self-serve" account though, which meant the branch and contact center services would be limited. As part of this deposits were intended to be made at the ATM with your debit card, or by use of a mobile phone app. Since we hardly ever went to the branch anyhow, this seemed perfect.

A couple months after switching over, I changed my last name. I went to the branch with the necessary paperwork to have the name on my account changed. At that time I inquired as to their policy on any checks I received made out to my previous name, and was told that that wouldn't be a problem at all, because my previous name was still in their system.

Maybe a month after that I received a check made out to my previous name. I endorsed the back of it "by mobile deposit", and scanned and deposited it from my mobile phone app. A couple days later I got an email that the deposit was rejected because the name didn't match the name on my account. So I went to the branch to get it taken care of, and they fixed it but gave me a lecture about how I had a self-serve account and wasn't supposed to come into the branch. They didn't have an answer for how I was supposed to make a self-serve deposit when their system was rejecting the deposit...

At some point in the last couple months they also decided that as a "security precaution", any time you tried to login to online banking from an "unrecognized device" they would call or text the phone number they had on file for you with a security code. Often they would not recognize a previously verified device, even if we were logging in from the same network, and had not cleared our cookies.

All of this led up to today's total frustration. DF is out of the country right now, has been for 3 1/2 weeks and won't be back for another 10 days. We recently found out that there was going to be an unexpected charge posted to his account. We couldn't log in to his online banking to check if there was enough money in the account to cover the charge because the bank wanted us to provide them with a security code, and his phone (the only number associated with the account) won't work in the country he is in. I can't make a mobile deposit for him because his account isn't set up on my device, and we can't get it set up without verifying the device with that security code that we can't receive. I can't make an ATM deposit because his debit card is with him 4,000+ miles away; he asked the bank for a duplicate card before he left and they said they couldn't do that (my previous bank was happy to provide me with a spare card, FWIW). So I went into the branch with a deposit in hand, figuring any "convenience fee" for using branch services was going to be a lot better than a potential NSF charge. But no, I was informed that I couldn't make a teller deposit at all, for any reason, because "It isn't [the teller's] fault that [your fiance] decided to sign up for this type of account."   ::) ??? >:(

In the end, I contacted the source of the upcoming draft, and was able to make a pre-payment to prevent the draft from occurring.

CakeBeret

« Reply #4261 on: June 10, 2013, 02:10:50 PM »
Norrina, I have never heard of such awful behavior from a credit union.

I can't say enough good things about my credit union, so I hope you can find a better one.
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4262 on: June 10, 2013, 02:29:53 PM »

We opened our accounts with a credit union initially because there were no fees. After we had been with them maybe 6 months they announced that they would start assessing fees on their checking accounts. They were going to offer a free "self-serve" account though, which meant the branch and contact center services would be limited. As part of this deposits were intended to be made at the ATM with your debit card, or by use of a mobile phone app. Since we hardly ever went to the branch anyhow, this seemed perfect.

A couple months after switching over, I changed my last name. I went to the branch with the necessary paperwork to have the name on my account changed. At that time I inquired as to their policy on any checks I received made out to my previous name, and was told that that wouldn't be a problem at all, because my previous name was still in their system.

Maybe a month after that I received a check made out to my previous name. I endorsed the back of it "by mobile deposit", and scanned and deposited it from my mobile phone app. A couple days later I got an email that the deposit was rejected because the name didn't match the name on my account. So I went to the branch to get it taken care of, and they fixed it but gave me a lecture about how I had a self-serve account and wasn't supposed to come into the branch. They didn't have an answer for how I was supposed to make a self-serve deposit when their system was rejecting the deposit...

At some point in the last couple months they also decided that as a "security precaution", any time you tried to login to online banking from an "unrecognized device" they would call or text the phone number they had on file for you with a security code. Often they would not recognize a previously verified device, even if we were logging in from the same network, and had not cleared our cookies.

All of this led up to today's total frustration. DF is out of the country right now, has been for 3 1/2 weeks and won't be back for another 10 days. We recently found out that there was going to be an unexpected charge posted to his account. We couldn't log in to his online banking to check if there was enough money in the account to cover the charge because the bank wanted us to provide them with a security code, and his phone (the only number associated with the account) won't work in the country he is in. I can't make a mobile deposit for him because his account isn't set up on my device, and we can't get it set up without verifying the device with that security code that we can't receive. I can't make an ATM deposit because his debit card is with him 4,000+ miles away; he asked the bank for a duplicate card before he left and they said they couldn't do that (my previous bank was happy to provide me with a spare card, FWIW). So I went into the branch with a deposit in hand, figuring any "convenience fee" for using branch services was going to be a lot better than a potential NSF charge. But no, I was informed that I couldn't make a teller deposit at all, for any reason, because "It isn't [the teller's] fault that [your fiance] decided to sign up for this type of account."   ::) ??? >:(

In the end, I contacted the source of the upcoming draft, and was able to make a pre-payment to prevent the draft from occurring.

I can't say enough good things about my credit union, so I hope you can find a better one.

Pod..I love my credit union
My Photography Gallery
http://www.ctartisticphotos.com/

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #4263 on: June 10, 2013, 02:38:07 PM »

Nothing works. I've tried the lot. Clean clothes and jungle baths are the only solution

Back to the scheduled thread . . . . .

What about dress sheilds?  You could pin them in and change them part way through the day instead of needing a new shirt and then launder them at home.

I use panty liners for dress shields in my Ren Faire gowns. They work like a charm!

exitzero

« Reply #4264 on: June 10, 2013, 02:50:19 PM »

That reminds me of the comedian George Wallace, who used to do a routine about opening a new back account, and they asked him who was authorised to deposit money in it.  He pondered then answered, "Anybody...anyone who wants to put money in my account is welcome to."

But that a joke, for Pete's sake!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4265 on: June 10, 2013, 02:53:29 PM »

Likewise.

I once gave up a bank because of their fees to talk to a teller. Actually, I didn't care about the fee itself, as I almost never actually went into the bank. It was the fact that they tried to charge ME the teller fee after someone went in to cash a check I had written to them.

I explained to them that I had no control over how the recipient received the funds the check represented, and would certainly NOT be the one penalized because she had chosen to go to the bank and talk to a teller.

As soon as my company got approved to join a credit union, I moved my money.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

norrina

« Reply #4266 on: June 10, 2013, 02:58:55 PM »

Pod..I love my credit union

Unfortunately for me, this is the second CU I've had trouble with (my parents have been with their CU for 30 years though, and have loved them). My last CU:
  • Processed a sizable paypal transaction as a debit instead of a credit. I only avoided an NSF because I had just made a deposit in preparation for an out-of-town vacation. I wasn't so put out about the error itself, because mistakes happen. However, this all occurred on a Friday morning and I was told it could not be corrected until Monday. Meanwhile, I didn't have enough money left to get to my destination and pay my expenses for the weekend. After enough pushing they did finally figure out a way to put the money back in my account.
  • When I opened my account, the CU operated on "realtime", so deposits and debits were both processed when they were made, and there was no cutoff time for deposits. I had 2 EFTs that came out on the first of each month. I made a deposit mid-afternoon on the 31st, and when I checked my account on the 1st I saw that the deposit had not posted, and the EFTs had therefore caused a negative balance. The bank informed me that they had switched to a 2pm cutoff for deposits. They conceded that they had not sent out notice of this change, and I requested reimbursement of all fees due to the lack of notification. After much pushing they agreed to honor this request, as a "show of good faith". Days went by and no reimbursement was forthcoming. I would call every so often to check and be told that it was being processed and I would see the credit by [date/time], but then [date/time] would pass with no credit and the cycle would repeat. Finally I decided I needed a paper record of our conversations, and sent a fax memorializing our most recent conversation. For convenience purposes I just grabbed one of the fax cover sheets I used for my job, which just happened to be as a paralegal. I had my credit within 2 hours.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4267 on: June 10, 2013, 03:32:38 PM »
I would not recommend Dermablend makeup.  And, as soon as I either get my money back or my exchanged product, I will never use them again.

I ordered a product from them several months ago to cover up a place on my leg (I posted about this place here at EHell and asked for advice - some of you may remember).  I ordered what I thought was the right color.  But they do have what sounds like a good return/exchange policy, so I knew that I could return it if I guessed wrong on the color.

Sure enough, the one I chose was too light for my skin.  Easy enough.  I found another one that will work.  Sent the product back and specified the one I wanted instead.

It's now been over 6 weeks since I did that.  They have a record of the return.  But they're taking their sweet time in getting me the new one.

I've emailed them using the Contact Us on their website - to no avail.  Apparently, there is only one person that answers their mail.  And, she's decided to go on strike, I guess?  Because she's not responding at all.

I've called several times.  The representatives that I've spoken with have been rude and unhelpful.  They refuse to look into the situation and see what's wrong.

At this point, I'm not sure what to do.  If they're not going to send me the exchanged product, I want my money back.  Right now, they have my money, and I have nothing.

The more I think about this, the angrier I get.  If nothing else, I expect Customer Service to ACT like they care and are working on solving the problem with my account.  But I'm getting only rude, surly people responding to me.

I'm going to try calling them again this afternoon.  I'll try asking for a supervisor or manager to see if I can work up the chain a bit.  But I don't have a lot of hope.

Regardless, I absolutely would not recommend this company's product to anyone.  If they don't care about their customers any more than this, I don't trust them.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #4268 on: June 10, 2013, 03:35:22 PM »
Did you pay by credit or debit card? If so, call your bank and see about contesting the charge. Do it soon, though - there is often a time limit for when you can do that.
"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4269 on: June 10, 2013, 03:47:13 PM »
Did you pay by credit or debit card? If so, call your bank and see about contesting the charge. Do it soon, though - there is often a time limit for when you can do that.

Yes, it's usually around 60 days, and it sounds like you're coming up on that. I'd give them one more chance then just go through the card.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4270 on: June 10, 2013, 03:49:02 PM »
That reminds me of the comedian George Wallace, who used to do a routine about opening a new back account, and they asked him who was authorised to deposit money in it.  He pondered then answered, "Anybody...anyone who wants to put money in my account is welcome to."

In Denmark, all you need in order to deposit money into an account is the account number. Makes making money transfers wonderfully easy :)

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
« Reply #4271 on: June 10, 2013, 03:54:52 PM »

In Denmark, all you need in order to deposit money into an account is the account number. Makes making money transfers wonderfully easy :)

Heck, here in Colorado, I don't even need that. I pay my rent by taking the cash and stopping by my landlady's bank. I give the teller her name and address, and the teller looks up the account info and deposits the money. Works like a charm.

DottyG

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4272 on: June 10, 2013, 04:02:58 PM »
Ok, amending my Dermablend post a bit.

I may have found someone that can help.  She was, at least, a little more friendly than the others have been.  I think she's closed out my previous order and then put a new one through.  We'll see if it works.

But at least I wasn't steaming when I got off the phone with her, like I have been in the past.

mime

« Reply #4273 on: June 10, 2013, 05:47:32 PM »
Huge chain of baby stores (in USA). I online-ordered about $300 of stuff for my last baby. My credit card was charged 3 times on 3 different days.

I talked to CreditCardCompany, who suggested I call the store and try to resolve the problem. So I did. They said their process is to
1. Charge my account to make sure the credit card isn't rejected
2. Reverse that initial charge when the shipment is ready to go
3. Re-charge the amounts for each shipment
I told them that's not what was showing on my credit card statement, and that no charges were ever reversed, and now they have charged me $900 for my $300 purchase. The woman's response was 'you must not understand your credit card statement'. (Insulting your customers' competence is unwise. Numbers don't confuse me.)

CreditCardCompany then sent me to their fraud department which took care of everything in less than five minutes, and said they would follow up with BabyStore. CreditCardCompany has a happy customer. BabyStore lost one.

dawnfire

« Reply #4274 on: June 10, 2013, 08:38:25 PM »

Heck, here in Colorado, I don't even need that. I pay my rent by taking the cash and stopping by my landlady's bank. I give the teller her name and address, and the teller looks up the account info and deposits the money. Works like a charm.

my old landlord did something similar. he just gave us a deposit book for his bank. he didn't care how frequently we paid wether it was weekly, fortnightly or monthly as long as it was paid by the date he was ok.