Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1131009 times)

rose red

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4305 on: June 20, 2013, 08:04:17 AM »
My local mall never has good parking spaces open......except at the Sears entrance.  So I typically park there and go through a usually almost empty Sears to get to the main mall.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4306 on: June 20, 2013, 08:08:50 AM »
I've noticed that at our mall too.   Any other entrance will have lots full but Sears is like a ghost town.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

Kiara

• My dragons!
« Reply #4307 on: June 20, 2013, 09:08:00 AM »
Only thing I buy at Sears is Lands' End....actually, it's mostly where I return my Lands' End stuff so I don't have to pay shipping.  (Plus then you get 10% off if you buy something else.)

Hillia

« Reply #4308 on: June 20, 2013, 09:18:22 AM »
I worked for Sears many years ago taking catalog orders, back when they still had a catalog.  We wore headsets, and were alerted to an incoming call by a pleasant female voice saying, 'Catalog, catalog'.

While I worked there, it was decided to centralize telephone customer service by having the catalog reps also take service calls and schedule appointments rather than having each repair center handle their own.  Oh my heavens.  First off, the incoming service calls were announced by a harsh male voice barking, 'Service! Service!' so you started off every call with a start and a rush of adrenaline.  Second, the appointment calendar for each service center was available to us.  It blocked off time as appointments were scheduled, but we had the ability to override the blocks and double, triple, quadruple book the center.  So if someone had a customer screaming about the washing machine, it was not unheard of for the harried phone rep to unlock the calendar and make an appointment, telling the customer 'Well, I'll squeeze you in...'.  Of course this resulted in service centers booked for way more work than they could physically handle, and even angrier customers when their service calls didn't materialize. 

Finally (and this was what we all hated the most), at the end of each call, we were supposed to upsell this Sears laundry detergent.  So we have someone who is upset that their appliance doesn't work, even more upset that the call won't happen until two weeks from next Thursday, close to the breaking point at hte news that it will cost $45 just to have a Sears repair truck park in front of their house...and now I'm supposed to sell them laundry soap?  This was one of the quality indicators on our phone audits, so if you didn't try to sell the doggoned soap you were in trouble, but I don't think I ever heard of anyone actually selling any.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #4309 on: June 20, 2013, 09:28:03 AM »
We bought a new oven from Sears a month or so ago after ours got fried.  (We really didn't have a choice - the cutout for the oven in our kitchen is a weird size, and it would have taken 4-6 weeks to special order something our size from anyone else because nobody carries 27" ovens anymore.  Sears happened to have one someone returned because it was the wrong color, for 1/4 the price of what everyone else was charging, and they were willing to deliver it the next day.  Sold!)

The  ::) ::) ::) part - the very next week, I got an advertising email from Sears saying something like "Hi Slartibartfast!  Since you recently bought an oven, here are some other products we think you might like!" - with links to a dozen other ovens they sell.  Seriously, Sears, how many ovens do you think I need?  Does oven-buying really have a huge repeat business within the first month?   ::)

Well it's been my experience that ovens work better when they don't suffer from the anxiety that loneliness can cause.

Ovens are like cats that way. Better in pairs.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #4310 on: June 20, 2013, 09:53:21 AM »
Roto-Rooter.

A piece in our shower broke and needed to be replaced.

DH knew exactly what was wrong and how to fix it, but he hates plumbing work so he wanted to pay someone else to deal with it. First he called a bunch of small local places but they were all booked up and it would take a few days for them to get to our house, so he begrudgingly called Roto-Rooter.

The guy shows up within an hour. Great! He asks DH what brand our current set-up is, DH tells him it's Kohler and guy exclaims that will be HUGELY expensive to try to fix! After a couple minutes, DH remembers it's actually Price-Fister. Oh, guy says, that will be even MORE expensive! The reason it would be so expensive is that the set-up we have (installed 5 years ago, mind you) is no longer up to code, therefore the part we need is no longer being manufactured. Even if we could find one, it would be terribly pricy since it's so rare nowadays. It would be cheaper just to replace the entire shower plumbing. All for the low, low price of $1000. That quote does NOT include retiling the pieces that would need to be ripped out.

DH knows a thing or 2 about DIY and is quite handy, so he knows for a fact the guy is full of it. As the guy is talking, DH pulls out his iPhone and goes onto the Lowes website. He immediately sees the part we need for $60. DH dismisses the guy with an insincere "Yeah, I'll call you." I don't know if the guy was a liar or just incredibly clueless about plumbing, but neither is a quality I want in someone working in my home.

After he left, DH went to a local plumbing supply store and found the part for $35, had it installed within an hour. With the DIY re-tiling, the entire $1000 project cost us about $50. Never again, Roto-Rooter! I am so grateful my DH is handy, otherwise we would have taken a $1000 bath (literally!). It makes me sick to think how many people who don't know better are being taken advantage of like that.

Oh, the best part - even if we did have to replace the whole shower, parts shouldn't have cost more than about $250 retail - meaning he was going to charge us at least $800 in labor!

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
« Reply #4311 on: June 20, 2013, 11:12:34 AM »
Another Sears story from a couple of years ago.

We have a non-mall based Sears and just across the street from it is a Home Depot.   Our washer went out and so we needed to get a new one. We figured we could check out both stores in one stop so WulfieMan and WulfieWoman went on their way home from work.  WulfieMan was the one who was spoken to by the clerk; it was pretty obvious that due to his culture (Middle Eastern) the salesman did not feel comfortable talking to a woman with her husband there.   That really put a bad taste in everyone’s mouth to start off with. WulfieWoman had some very valid questions but it was obvious that the clerk was very uncomfortable with talking to her.   He told them that they could buy the machine and pay for delivery, then submit a rebate request to get the delivery and haul away of the old machine refunded.  It was about $60.00.

They went across the street and found the exact same machine at Home Depot for $5.00 less and it included free delivery that was not a rebate.  The clerk was helpful and answered the couple of questions that WulfieWoman had not been able to get answered from the Sears Clerk.  Bad news, Home Depot was sold out of that model but would have more in the following week.  They could pay for it now and it would be delivered as soon as it came in (about 6 days).  We didn’t really want to wait that long on a new one so they went back to Sears. 

Mr SearsClerk was happy to see them come back and yes, they have plenty in stock and could deliver the next day. WulfieMan asked if they would match the Home Depot deal.  Not only would he not match it, he went off on WulfieMan about being cheap and not being willing to do the paperwork for the refund.  Never mind that it is at least a 6 week wait for the refund vs not having to pay for it in the first place. The guy’s whole attitude was one of “you are cheap and that is what is wrong with you Americans” WulfieMan has no patience with that kind of attitude and told him that we would be going across the street for our purchase and would not darken their storefront again.

Jones

« Reply #4312 on: June 20, 2013, 11:18:43 AM »
Regarding Roto Rooter.

Wow that's sad. I love our Roto Rooter guy. He and my husband went to school together, he was DH's bully until DH whipped him back; he's incredibly fair to work with. I don't think he thinks DH will fight him or anything, he just outgrew the bully stage.

The sad thing is, my brother in law is a plumber and charges quite a bit more than Roto guy, even with the "family discount." He lived in a home my parents owned and fixed the sink one month "in lieu of rent". Then he presented a bill to my parents for the amount not covered by his monthly rent charge.

So. I'll be sticking with DH's grade school nemesis for the time being. ;)

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4313 on: June 20, 2013, 11:31:58 AM »
The problems encountered with service at Sears are mostly down to the corporate culture these days.  The CEO is functionally operating the company as though it's in receivership and separating what he's described as sellable assets (things like the Craftsman, Kenmore and Land's End brands) from the rest of the corporation.  As a result, investments in store upgrades and staffing have been held to a minimum and sadly, it looks like that's never going to change.  It's too bad for me since our local Sears is still run pretty well, but the brand is imploding so it's not likely to get any better.

Virg

magicdomino

« Reply #4314 on: June 20, 2013, 11:49:26 AM »
When Mother contacted the repair department, she told you exactly what part was broken. The repairman showed up without the appropriate part in spite of knowing exactly what was wrong. He then informed her that it would be more than a week before the machine could be repaired.

I ran into this when I had a Craftsman lawn tractor.  It was too big to haul to a repair shop, so repairs had to be done at my house.  Which in my area is pretty much just Sears.

No matter what was wrong with the mower, the repairman didn't have the right parts.  Even though I gave the model and serial numbers, and even occasionally knew exactly what was wrong with it, the part had to be ordered and another appointment made after the part arrived.  That was two days off from work, because the appointment was for sometime between 8:00 am and 5:00 pm.  Plus, if it was spring (and it often was), I'd have to wait weeks for the closest appointment.  Meanwhile, the grass is growing tall enough to need a scythe to cut it.

Now, I do have to give the repairman credit because he knew what he was doing, but apparently he was the only small engine repairman Sears had in the area. I now own a very nice Toro self-propelled lawn mower that I bought from a store catering to professional landscapers.

The dishwasher that I bought from Sears a couple of years ago is still running well (crossing my fingers here).  However, the other, less expensive models were noticably more cheaply made.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4315 on: June 20, 2013, 11:52:12 AM »
I have mixed feelings about Sears.

We have a Samsung refrigerator that I absolutely LOVE, but it need a repair and we knew it would be a costly one but I loved the fridge so much that I was happy to pay it rather than go buy a new one.

Sadly, most of the repair places I called don't "do" Samsung, so I called Sears.  They do.  There were date mix-ups like others have described, but the repairman was competent and did a great job for what we think was a reasonable amount of money.  But what became obvious in the process is that Sears (at least locally) no longer has its own staff of repairmen.  All they do is match up another repair company with whatever product you have that needs to be repaired.  In other words, they just act as "middlemen" to hook you up with the right repair person.

I preferred it the old way, but since they did come through with someone making the repair, I was ultimately happy.

Valentines Mommy

« Reply #4316 on: June 20, 2013, 12:31:55 PM »
Since my local ACE started carrying Craftsman tools, I no longer shop at Sears. Too many bad experiences.

Jones

« Reply #4317 on: June 20, 2013, 12:41:40 PM »
Since my local ACE started carrying Craftsman tools, I no longer shop at Sears. Too many bad experiences.
Really? I am going to have to go check out my local ACE.

norrina

« Reply #4318 on: June 20, 2013, 12:49:22 PM »
We bought a new oven from Sears a month or so ago after ours got fried.  (We really didn't have a choice - the cutout for the oven in our kitchen is a weird size, and it would have taken 4-6 weeks to special order something our size from anyone else because nobody carries 27" ovens anymore.  Sears happened to have one someone returned because it was the wrong color, for 1/4 the price of what everyone else was charging, and they were willing to deliver it the next day.  Sold!)

The  ::) ::) ::) part - the very next week, I got an advertising email from Sears saying something like "Hi Slartibartfast!  Since you recently bought an oven, here are some other products we think you might like!" - with links to a dozen other ovens they sell.  Seriously, Sears, how many ovens do you think I need?  Does oven-buying really have a huge repeat business within the first month?   ::)

Facebook advertising seems to be fond of suggesting I might want things that I already have too.

Immediately after updating my information upon receiving my advanced degree in Y (and having previously posted my bachelors degree in X), I received a sponsored post suggesting I pursue an online degree in X or Y.

Changing my relationship status to "engaged" spurred an on-slot of links to great savings on engagement rings.

Bexx27

• Striving to meet the minimum requirements of social acceptability
« Reply #4319 on: June 20, 2013, 12:58:27 PM »
Ugh, Sears is the worst. I posted earlier in the thread about my own terrible customer service experience with them. After hours of trying, we never could manage to actually speak with someone who could help us; everyone we got on the phone just said "someone will call you back within 48 hours" and we never got a call back, ever. Eventually we gave up, bought a washing machine elsewhere, and disputed the charge with my credit card. Sears didn't bother to respond to the disputed charge, so I got the refund.
How far you go in life depends on your being tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of the weak and strong. Because someday in life you will have been all of these. -George Washington Carver