Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1245003 times)

dawbs

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4320 on: June 20, 2013, 12:59:28 PM »
Since my local ACE started carrying Craftsman tools, I no longer shop at Sears. Too many bad experiences.
Really? I am going to have to go check out my local ACE.

FWIW, when I worked there (a while ago now, but my old boss says it hasn't changed), the ACE brand tools have the same warranty as Craftsman--as in, bring in the broken one, they'll replace it.

Amara

« Reply #4321 on: June 20, 2013, 01:41:48 PM »
I haven't been in Sears for more than 30 years except for one time several years ago. I was returning some Lands' End things--the last things I have ever bought from them--and what I was forced to witness made me sick to my stomach.

I was at a register with two women working with customers checking out. The woman helping me was in her mid or late sixties (or possibly slightly older). She was small with a kind of blond beehive hairdo. Seemed nice but had some trouble with the returns. She tried a couple of times while apologzing to me for the wait. I assured her that it was fine. At some point, probably between her first and second or her second and third attempts a young guy with an assistant manager badge came over and stood there. He had a hateful look on his face as he stared at the woman without offering any help or encouragement. Just as if he hated her. Finally, after ten or fifteen long and painful minutes, he told the younger woman to help me and sent the older woman off to the floor.

You had to have been there to have heard the utter contempt in his voice and the nonverbal treatment of her. I burned with humiliation for her as she stood near the door and used a forced cheerful voice to greet entering customers. I could see how hurt she felt, and I hated him so much so I almost went to the store manager that moment to report him. But knowing Sears it would have done no good.

I still feel quite badly for her and wish so much I had spoken to her on my way out--I just wanted to be away from the store--and tried to give her some comfort. I cannot bear to see anyone humiliated but especially in a public work place. When I say Sears will never get any of my business I mean it mostly because of this. I hate that company and I will dance madly on their frigging grave for what they did that day.

Pen^2

« Reply #4322 on: June 20, 2013, 02:01:55 PM »
I was once buying some things from a nice little bakery. The high school-aged girl at the register was very pleasant, but inadvertently handed me too much change. She mixed up two similar coins because one was stained and was a different colour, making it an easy mistake. I always count my change, and pointed this out to her. She was embarrassed, but I assured her it was no big deal while she opened the register to get the correct coin out.

Her manager loomed up behind her and suddenly started berating her, loudly (it was a tiny shop, so everyone could hear). He called her school ground names while gesticulating violently and basically went waaay over the top making a mountain out of a mole hill. I was appalled. I expressed, very clearly and forcefully, the fact that the girl was fantastic and one of the best employees I've ever met, but because of his lack of professionalism and horrible bullying of his employees, I could not bear to be in the same shop as him, and my business was now lost. I made a point of finding out his superior's name so I could put in a good word for the girl, since I felt certain he'd try to blame it on her somehow.

I moved shortly afterwards, so I never found out if she got to keep her job or if he fired her for making him look bad. But at least it was obviously a temporary, part-time gig for her, which she could replace elsewhere easily enough.

Jones

« Reply #4323 on: June 20, 2013, 02:04:26 PM »
I was once buying some things from a nice little bakery. The high school-aged girl at the register was very pleasant, but inadvertently handed me too much change. She mixed up two similar coins because one was stained and was a different colour, making it an easy mistake. I always count my change, and pointed this out to her. She was embarrassed, but I assured her it was no big deal while she opened the register to get the correct coin out.

Her manager loomed up behind her and suddenly started berating her, loudly (it was a tiny shop, so everyone could hear). He called her school ground names while gesticulating violently and basically went waaay over the top making a mountain out of a mole hill. I was appalled. I expressed, very clearly and forcefully, the fact that the girl was fantastic and one of the best employees I've ever met, but because of his lack of professionalism and horrible bullying of his employees, I could not bear to be in the same shop as him, and my business was now lost. I made a point of finding out his superior's name so I could put in a good word for the girl, since I felt certain he'd try to blame it on her somehow.

I moved shortly afterwards, so I never found out if she got to keep her job or if he fired her for making him look bad. But at least it was obviously a temporary, part-time gig for her, which she could replace elsewhere easily enough.
Wasn't Amy's Baking Company was it?

:P >:D

Pen^2

« Reply #4324 on: June 20, 2013, 02:28:10 PM »

Wasn't Amy's Baking Company was it?

:P >:D

Naw, then there would have been a big YouTube spat over it where they cry and declare that everyone is going to hell except them because they are the insanest. Holy cow man that stuff is hilarious.

Spring Water on Sundays

• We will never rest, fighting the battle of who could care less.
« Reply #4325 on: June 20, 2013, 02:47:43 PM »
Regarding Roto Rooter.

Wow that's sad. I love our Roto Rooter guy. He and my husband went to school together, he was DH's bully until DH whipped him back; he's incredibly fair to work with. I don't think he thinks DH will fight him or anything, he just outgrew the bully stage.

The sad thing is, my brother in law is a plumber and charges quite a bit more than Roto guy, even with the "family discount." He lived in a home my parents owned and fixed the sink one month "in lieu of rent". Then he presented a bill to my parents for the amount not covered by his monthly rent charge.

So. I'll be sticking with DH's grade school nemesis for the time being. ;)

Yep, I'm sure there are lots of talented, honest people who work for Roto-Rooter, but they'll never step foot in my home after what that guy they sent over tried to pull. I'm just not willing to risk it now that I know the kind of people my local RR hires and sends into people's homes.

8cowwife

• Come to the dark side, we have cookies.
« Reply #4326 on: June 20, 2013, 03:51:54 PM »
I worked for Sears many years ago taking catalog orders, back when they still had a catalog.  We wore headsets, and were alerted to an incoming call by a pleasant female voice saying, 'Catalog, catalog'.

While I worked there, it was decided to centralize telephone customer service by having the catalog reps also take service calls and schedule appointments rather than having each repair center handle their own.  Oh my heavens.  First off, the incoming service calls were announced by a harsh male voice barking, 'Service! Service!' so you started off every call with a start and a rush of adrenaline.  Second, the appointment calendar for each service center was available to us.  It blocked off time as appointments were scheduled, but we had the ability to override the blocks and double, triple, quadruple book the center.  So if someone had a customer screaming about the washing machine, it was not unheard of for the harried phone rep to unlock the calendar and make an appointment, telling the customer 'Well, I'll squeeze you in...'.  Of course this resulted in service centers booked for way more work than they could physically handle, and even angrier customers when their service calls didn't materialize. 

Finally (and this was what we all hated the most), at the end of each call, we were supposed to upsell this Sears laundry detergent.  So we have someone who is upset that their appliance doesn't work, even more upset that the call won't happen until two weeks from next Thursday, close to the breaking point at hte news that it will cost $45 just to have a Sears repair truck park in front of their house...and now I'm supposed to sell them laundry soap?  This was one of the quality indicators on our phone audits, so if you didn't try to sell the doggoned soap you were in trouble, but I don't think I ever heard of anyone actually selling any.

I had that exact same job.  I hated the service calls!  It never went well when the service schedule was full 3 weeks out and you were the lucky one who had to tell them that.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "WOW!! What a ride!"

Ginger G

« Reply #4327 on: June 21, 2013, 11:04:35 AM »
Not so much a store but a specific brand.  I bought a brand new Whirlpool side-by-side fridge almost 3 years ago.  The only people that use the fridge are me and my significant other and we don't overload the shelves or abuse it in any way. 

About a year ago, the plastic side pieces on the vegetable drawer that make it slide in and out broke off.  Then the plastic border surrounding one of the glass shelves started to crack and break off, then a second shelf started to do the same thing.  The shelves were still usuable and staying in place, but it looked bad and I knew it was just a matter of time before the plastic broke completely rendering the shelves useless.  So, I looked around for replacement parts and discovered that the replacement drawer cost $40 (no too bad), but the stupid shelves cost $95 each to replace.  On some models, you could replace just the plastic border but of course not my particular model, it was all or nothing.  So, I had to spend $230 + shipping and handling to replace parts on a still fairly new fridge.  I will not buy a Whirlpool fridge again.

alkira6

« Reply #4328 on: June 21, 2013, 10:32:39 PM »
I used to work for Whirlpool *cough* years ago and that experience influenced the purchase of our first fridge. We bought a Roper, low end, basic - essentially a box with a compressor attached.  We've had it for 7 years without a single problem. It matches nothing at all, but the fewer parts, the fewer things to go wrong. 

I absolutely drool over the nice fridges with the spiffy electronics and different "cool zone" temp settings but will never buy one.  Every time I'm tempted I remember all of the recalls on electronic components that customers were not made aware of and I back off.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4329 on: June 21, 2013, 10:53:35 PM »
I used to work for Whirlpool *cough* years ago and that experience influenced the purchase of our first fridge. We bought a Roper, low end, basic - essentially a box with a compressor attached.  We've had it for 7 years without a single problem. It matches nothing at all, but the fewer parts, the fewer things to go wrong. 

I absolutely drool over the nice fridges with the spiffy electronics and different "cool zone" temp settings but will never buy one.  Every time I'm tempted I remember all of the recalls on electronic components that customers were not made aware of and I back off.

When we bought our house, the previous owners took the old fridge with them. They weren't supposed to, but they did. We went out and bought a $400 Haier. I know it's a bit of an off brand, but I'd owned things from them before and been happy, plus we needed a fridge and we couldn't afford much.

Just before the year warranty was up it stopped working. The repairman came out and said that the screws the company used to hold the compressor fan in place were cheap and had snapped. Super quick fix, but definitely a sign of the quality of the product.

Two years later, it died. Now, this is not to say that it was good for the entire two years. The plastic gasket around the door shredded at the bottom and the magnet strip that held the door closed would pop out. If you wanted the door to close, you had to reach down and push the magnetic strip back in every time you used the fridge. The temperature control knobs were marked backwards, so for instance it said 1 was cold and 7 was coldest, but really 1 was coldest and 7 was cold. Sometimes things would freeze or thaw even though it was on the same number it had always been on. Just a crappy fridge in general.

When it died, I didn't want to get a fancy new fridge with tons of electronics, nor could we afford to. But I certainly didn't want another Haier, and there's not a whole lot of in between these days. We decided on a fridge with no more bells and whistles than ice and water in the door. We love it so far, but then again we've only had it for a few months. And it's a name brand, although I don't remember which right now. I would definitely never buy another Haier, though.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4330 on: June 22, 2013, 09:37:47 AM »
Off topic, but I have totally decided that my next fridge will be a stainless steel, French door with icemaker and water dispenser, bottom freezer drawer fridge.  Other than that, I'm not too choosy.  ;D

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #4331 on: June 22, 2013, 02:31:46 PM »
I have another Sears story that isn't major, but just goes to show you that they just don't care.

I was looking to by room darkening curtains for the kid's room, as I was tired of being woken up at 4:30  with the sun.  The very snobby Macy's salesperson informed me that they don't "do" curtains in the store, and it's online only. (It was odd, b/c Macy's is usually a great place for me. Oh well.)

I took the kid and trucked across the huge mall to Sears, where, yay, they do have curtains! I found basic ones and went to pay. No one was at the register kiosk, but all lights were on, indictating that it was open.  A lady came out from some racks, wearing a Sears name tag. I asked if I could pay, and she said "I guess so."  I responded (ok, slightly put out by the attitude) that I guessed I could go to another kiosk.  She sighed and said no, it was fine. 

I bought my curtains (on sale!) and left. One curtain out of 4 was the wrong shade, though they all said taupe. Oh well. It's not worth returning to that store.  But really-she guessed she could help me? 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
  • Super Hero!
« Reply #4332 on: June 22, 2013, 05:38:30 PM »
I have another Sears story that isn't major, but just goes to show you that they just don't care.

I was looking to by room darkening curtains for the kid's room, as I was tired of being woken up at 4:30  with the sun.  The very snobby Macy's salesperson informed me that they don't "do" curtains in the store, and it's online only. (It was odd, b/c Macy's is usually a great place for me. Oh well.)

I took the kid and trucked across the huge mall to Sears, where, yay, they do have curtains! I found basic ones and went to pay. No one was at the register kiosk, but all lights were on, indictating that it was open.  A lady came out from some racks, wearing a Sears name tag. I asked if I could pay, and she said "I guess so."  I responded (ok, slightly put out by the attitude) that I guessed I could go to another kiosk.  She sighed and said no, it was fine. 

I bought my curtains (on sale!) and left. One curtain out of 4 was the wrong shade, though they all said taupe. Oh well. It's not worth returning to that store.  But really-she guessed she could help me?

No kidding! You should have replied "Oh, is paying optional? If so there are several more things I'd like to get."  :P

Pen^2

« Reply #4333 on: June 22, 2013, 07:21:30 PM »
DH went to buy a new computer today. Due to the nature of his job which he'll be using the computer for, he needs some pretty specific things, since not just anything will cut it. If he tried to use my laptop to run some of the things he needs to, for example, it would die a quick and painless blue death.

He went to a mall famous for being a computer heavy place. DH knows next to nothing about computers (he can program like anything but doesn't know how much hard disk space is considered too little, for example) so I got to be the 'bad cop' on the end of the phone. The first half-a-dozen salesmen tried to rip him off: selling him something that met few or none of the minimum requirements I had jotted down on a post-it for DH, yet cost more than the recommended price online (I had Google helping me here). We were both quite shocked at how blatantly they were trying to con him: saying things like, "actually, because it's hexadecimal, 16GB RAM is less than 8GB, that's why you'll want the 8GB model, which is of course more expensive," "the wireless only activates if you decide to pay for the extended warranty, so you'll need to buy it to get internet," "all graphics cards are pretty much the same so let's just ignore that one on your list, shall we?" and so on. The sheer volume of lies they were willing to tell was astounding. These weren't the kinds of lies that someone who is out of their depth spits out; these were lies that someone who knows what they're talking about makes.

We decided to abandon any place that lied at all, and thus quickly found the two places (out of 9) that weren't run by Voldemort Inc. DH bought a computer that was on special, had all the specs he needed, and he got a free mouse and keyboard. It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4334 on: June 22, 2013, 07:39:04 PM »
It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Ah, but Ehellions buy computers regularly. I'm in the market for one myself. Any name-specific recommendations?