News: IMPORTANT UPDATE REGARDING SITE IN FORUM ANNOUNCEMENT FOLDER.

• May 20, 2018, 11:21:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2991809 times)

alkira6

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4290 on: June 21, 2013, 09:32:39 PM »
I used to work for Whirlpool *cough* years ago and that experience influenced the purchase of our first fridge. We bought a Roper, low end, basic - essentially a box with a compressor attached.  We've had it for 7 years without a single problem. It matches nothing at all, but the fewer parts, the fewer things to go wrong. 

I absolutely drool over the nice fridges with the spiffy electronics and different "cool zone" temp settings but will never buy one.  Every time I'm tempted I remember all of the recalls on electronic components that customers were not made aware of and I back off.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4291 on: June 21, 2013, 09:53:35 PM »
I used to work for Whirlpool *cough* years ago and that experience influenced the purchase of our first fridge. We bought a Roper, low end, basic - essentially a box with a compressor attached.  We've had it for 7 years without a single problem. It matches nothing at all, but the fewer parts, the fewer things to go wrong. 

I absolutely drool over the nice fridges with the spiffy electronics and different "cool zone" temp settings but will never buy one.  Every time I'm tempted I remember all of the recalls on electronic components that customers were not made aware of and I back off.

When we bought our house, the previous owners took the old fridge with them. They weren't supposed to, but they did. We went out and bought a $400 Haier. I know it's a bit of an off brand, but I'd owned things from them before and been happy, plus we needed a fridge and we couldn't afford much.

Just before the year warranty was up it stopped working. The repairman came out and said that the screws the company used to hold the compressor fan in place were cheap and had snapped. Super quick fix, but definitely a sign of the quality of the product.

Two years later, it died. Now, this is not to say that it was good for the entire two years. The plastic gasket around the door shredded at the bottom and the magnet strip that held the door closed would pop out. If you wanted the door to close, you had to reach down and push the magnetic strip back in every time you used the fridge. The temperature control knobs were marked backwards, so for instance it said 1 was cold and 7 was coldest, but really 1 was coldest and 7 was cold. Sometimes things would freeze or thaw even though it was on the same number it had always been on. Just a crappy fridge in general.

When it died, I didn't want to get a fancy new fridge with tons of electronics, nor could we afford to. But I certainly didn't want another Haier, and there's not a whole lot of in between these days. We decided on a fridge with no more bells and whistles than ice and water in the door. We love it so far, but then again we've only had it for a few months. And it's a name brand, although I don't remember which right now. I would definitely never buy another Haier, though.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4292 on: June 22, 2013, 08:37:47 AM »
Off topic, but I have totally decided that my next fridge will be a stainless steel, French door with icemaker and water dispenser, bottom freezer drawer fridge.  Other than that, I'm not too choosy.  ;D

A.P. Wulfric

« Reply #4293 on: June 22, 2013, 01:31:46 PM »
I have another Sears story that isn't major, but just goes to show you that they just don't care.

I was looking to by room darkening curtains for the kid's room, as I was tired of being woken up at 4:30  with the sun.  The very snobby Macy's salesperson informed me that they don't "do" curtains in the store, and it's online only. (It was odd, b/c Macy's is usually a great place for me. Oh well.)

I took the kid and trucked across the huge mall to Sears, where, yay, they do have curtains! I found basic ones and went to pay. No one was at the register kiosk, but all lights were on, indictating that it was open.  A lady came out from some racks, wearing a Sears name tag. I asked if I could pay, and she said "I guess so."  I responded (ok, slightly put out by the attitude) that I guessed I could go to another kiosk.  She sighed and said no, it was fine. 

I bought my curtains (on sale!) and left. One curtain out of 4 was the wrong shade, though they all said taupe. Oh well. It's not worth returning to that store.  But really-she guessed she could help me? 

JenJay

• I'm a nonconformist who doesn't conform to the prevailing standards of nonconformity.
« Reply #4294 on: June 22, 2013, 04:38:30 PM »
I have another Sears story that isn't major, but just goes to show you that they just don't care.

I was looking to by room darkening curtains for the kid's room, as I was tired of being woken up at 4:30  with the sun.  The very snobby Macy's salesperson informed me that they don't "do" curtains in the store, and it's online only. (It was odd, b/c Macy's is usually a great place for me. Oh well.)

I took the kid and trucked across the huge mall to Sears, where, yay, they do have curtains! I found basic ones and went to pay. No one was at the register kiosk, but all lights were on, indictating that it was open.  A lady came out from some racks, wearing a Sears name tag. I asked if I could pay, and she said "I guess so."  I responded (ok, slightly put out by the attitude) that I guessed I could go to another kiosk.  She sighed and said no, it was fine. 

I bought my curtains (on sale!) and left. One curtain out of 4 was the wrong shade, though they all said taupe. Oh well. It's not worth returning to that store.  But really-she guessed she could help me?

No kidding! You should have replied "Oh, is paying optional? If so there are several more things I'd like to get."  :P

Pen^2

« Reply #4295 on: June 22, 2013, 06:21:30 PM »
DH went to buy a new computer today. Due to the nature of his job which he'll be using the computer for, he needs some pretty specific things, since not just anything will cut it. If he tried to use my laptop to run some of the things he needs to, for example, it would die a quick and painless blue death.

He went to a mall famous for being a computer heavy place. DH knows next to nothing about computers (he can program like anything but doesn't know how much hard disk space is considered too little, for example) so I got to be the 'bad cop' on the end of the phone. The first half-a-dozen salesmen tried to rip him off: selling him something that met few or none of the minimum requirements I had jotted down on a post-it for DH, yet cost more than the recommended price online (I had Google helping me here). We were both quite shocked at how blatantly they were trying to con him: saying things like, "actually, because it's hexadecimal, 16GB RAM is less than 8GB, that's why you'll want the 8GB model, which is of course more expensive," "the wireless only activates if you decide to pay for the extended warranty, so you'll need to buy it to get internet," "all graphics cards are pretty much the same so let's just ignore that one on your list, shall we?" and so on. The sheer volume of lies they were willing to tell was astounding. These weren't the kinds of lies that someone who is out of their depth spits out; these were lies that someone who knows what they're talking about makes.

We decided to abandon any place that lied at all, and thus quickly found the two places (out of 9) that weren't run by Voldemort Inc. DH bought a computer that was on special, had all the specs he needed, and he got a free mouse and keyboard. It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4296 on: June 22, 2013, 06:39:04 PM »
It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Ah, but Ehellions buy computers regularly. I'm in the market for one myself. Any name-specific recommendations?

gramma dishes

« Reply #4297 on: June 22, 2013, 07:17:43 PM »
It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Ah, but Ehellions buy computers regularly. I'm in the market for one myself. Any name-specific recommendations?

Me too!  So I'd like names too, please.

Reika

« Reply #4298 on: June 22, 2013, 08:06:15 PM »

We decided to abandon any place that lied at all, and thus quickly found the two places (out of 9) that weren't run by Voldemort Inc. DH bought a computer that was on special, had all the specs he needed, and he got a free mouse and keyboard. It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

I will admit that your story is similar to what ultimately pushed me into building my own rigs. Too many places thought a woman shopping for computers was easy prey.

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4299 on: June 22, 2013, 08:08:34 PM »
DH went to buy a new computer today. Due to the nature of his job which he'll be using the computer for, he needs some pretty specific things, since not just We were both quite shocked at how blatantly they were trying to con him: saying things like, "actually, because it's hexadecimal, 16GB RAM is less than 8GB, that's why you'll want the 8GB model, which is of course more expensive," "the wireless only activates if you decide to pay for the extended warranty, so you'll need to buy it to get internet," "all graphics cards are pretty much the same so let's just ignore that one on your list, shall we?" and so on. The sheer volume of lies they were willing to tell was astounding. These weren't the kinds of lies that someone who is out of their depth spits out; these were lies that someone who knows what they're talking about makes.

I had to re-read the bolded several times. Now, if someone tries to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge or some swamp land in Florida, I can laugh at them. This one, though would provoke an extremely hostile response from me. Please post that on any online review site that you can. A mention at your local jurisdiction's fraud unit might be in order, too.

Like Reika, I've built my last 3 machines. Even if I didn't do that, I'd order online to avoid computer salespeople who make the worst used-car dealers look honest.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

kherbert05

• Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4300 on: June 22, 2013, 09:30:56 PM »
DH went to buy a new computer today. Due to the nature of his job which he'll be using the computer for, he needs some pretty specific things, since not just anything will cut it. If he tried to use my laptop to run some of the things he needs to, for example, it would die a quick and painless blue death.

He went to a mall famous for being a computer heavy place. DH knows next to nothing about computers (he can program like anything but doesn't know how much hard disk space is considered too little, for example) so I got to be the 'bad cop' on the end of the phone. The first half-a-dozen salesmen tried to rip him off: selling him something that met few or none of the minimum requirements I had jotted down on a post-it for DH, yet cost more than the recommended price online (I had Google helping me here). We were both quite shocked at how blatantly they were trying to con him: saying things like, "actually, because it's hexadecimal, 16GB RAM is less than 8GB, that's why you'll want the 8GB model, which is of course more expensive," "the wireless only activates if you decide to pay for the extended warranty, so you'll need to buy it to get internet," "all graphics cards are pretty much the same so let's just ignore that one on your list, shall we?" and so on. The sheer volume of lies they were willing to tell was astounding. These weren't the kinds of lies that someone who is out of their depth spits out; these were lies that someone who knows what they're talking about makes.

Yikes - you should post negative reviews for the Death Eater Neighbors and a positive one for the place that was honest.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Pen^2

« Reply #4301 on: June 22, 2013, 10:39:25 PM »

Unless you live close to Funan Digital Mall, Singapore, I don't think this place will be lucky enough to have your business, sadly. It was a tiny little shop, too--not even part of a chain.

There were many more lies, which we had a good laugh about afterwards. One guy tried to push a laptop onto DH, despite DH wanting a desktop so he I can tinker with it a bit. To top it off, he then claimed that the monitor had to be purchased separately and would be an extra arm and leg. I kind of want to go there myself and tell him that I don't want the monitor, just the computer part of the laptop, thanks. Oh man, there were so many weird things these scumballs came up with.

I'm going to have some fun with online reviews now, if you'll excuse me >:D

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4302 on: June 23, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
We just upgraded our desktop rig, adding a solid state drive and upgrading the case and graphics card. No bloatware on a machine that is built at home either!
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4303 on: June 24, 2013, 06:14:22 AM »
We just upgraded our desktop rig, adding a solid state drive and upgrading the case and graphics card. No bloatware on a machine that is built at home either!

I really want to replace my C drive with a solid state.  Boot-- oh, you're done.

Piratelvr1121

« Reply #4304 on: June 24, 2013, 06:47:07 AM »
Not really a store but I'm just giving up on the little train museum that's in our park.  It's not a huge museum really but they have an old steam engine and coal tender.  I've taken the older two there but I'd like for the little guy to get to see it up close as well. 

But they are NEVER open!  They have hours posted for the summer and we've gone during those hours but the gates are always locked.   Last time they were locked and there was someone sitting on a bench just outside the building near the engine.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata