Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1143613 times)

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4335 on: June 22, 2013, 08:17:43 PM »
It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Ah, but Ehellions buy computers regularly. I'm in the market for one myself. Any name-specific recommendations?

Me too!  So I'd like names too, please.

Reika

« Reply #4336 on: June 22, 2013, 09:06:15 PM »

We decided to abandon any place that lied at all, and thus quickly found the two places (out of 9) that weren't run by Voldemort Inc. DH bought a computer that was on special, had all the specs he needed, and he got a free mouse and keyboard. It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

I will admit that your story is similar to what ultimately pushed me into building my own rigs. Too many places thought a woman shopping for computers was easy prey.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4337 on: June 22, 2013, 09:08:34 PM »
DH went to buy a new computer today. Due to the nature of his job which he'll be using the computer for, he needs some pretty specific things, since not just We were both quite shocked at how blatantly they were trying to con him: saying things like, "actually, because it's hexadecimal, 16GB RAM is less than 8GB, that's why you'll want the 8GB model, which is of course more expensive," "the wireless only activates if you decide to pay for the extended warranty, so you'll need to buy it to get internet," "all graphics cards are pretty much the same so let's just ignore that one on your list, shall we?" and so on. The sheer volume of lies they were willing to tell was astounding. These weren't the kinds of lies that someone who is out of their depth spits out; these were lies that someone who knows what they're talking about makes.

I had to re-read the bolded several times. Now, if someone tries to sell me the Brooklyn Bridge or some swamp land in Florida, I can laugh at them. This one, though would provoke an extremely hostile response from me. Please post that on any online review site that you can. A mention at your local jurisdiction's fraud unit might be in order, too.

Like Reika, I've built my last 3 machines. Even if I didn't do that, I'd order online to avoid computer salespeople who make the worst used-car dealers look honest.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4338 on: June 22, 2013, 10:30:56 PM »
DH went to buy a new computer today. Due to the nature of his job which he'll be using the computer for, he needs some pretty specific things, since not just anything will cut it. If he tried to use my laptop to run some of the things he needs to, for example, it would die a quick and painless blue death.

He went to a mall famous for being a computer heavy place. DH knows next to nothing about computers (he can program like anything but doesn't know how much hard disk space is considered too little, for example) so I got to be the 'bad cop' on the end of the phone. The first half-a-dozen salesmen tried to rip him off: selling him something that met few or none of the minimum requirements I had jotted down on a post-it for DH, yet cost more than the recommended price online (I had Google helping me here). We were both quite shocked at how blatantly they were trying to con him: saying things like, "actually, because it's hexadecimal, 16GB RAM is less than 8GB, that's why you'll want the 8GB model, which is of course more expensive," "the wireless only activates if you decide to pay for the extended warranty, so you'll need to buy it to get internet," "all graphics cards are pretty much the same so let's just ignore that one on your list, shall we?" and so on. The sheer volume of lies they were willing to tell was astounding. These weren't the kinds of lies that someone who is out of their depth spits out; these were lies that someone who knows what they're talking about makes.

We decided to abandon any place that lied at all, and thus quickly found the two places (out of 9) that weren't run by Voldemort Inc. DH bought a computer that was on special, had all the specs he needed, and he got a free mouse and keyboard. It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Yikes - you should post negative reviews for the Death Eater Neighbors and a positive one for the place that was honest.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Pen^2

« Reply #4339 on: June 22, 2013, 11:39:25 PM »
It's a pity computers aren't the kind of thing you buy frequently, because I'd love to give that place frequent business at the expense of its Death Eater neighbours.

Ah, but Ehellions buy computers regularly. I'm in the market for one myself. Any name-specific recommendations?

Unless you live close to Funan Digital Mall, Singapore, I don't think this place will be lucky enough to have your business, sadly. It was a tiny little shop, too--not even part of a chain.

There were many more lies, which we had a good laugh about afterwards. One guy tried to push a laptop onto DH, despite DH wanting a desktop so he I can tinker with it a bit. To top it off, he then claimed that the monitor had to be purchased separately and would be an extra arm and leg. I kind of want to go there myself and tell him that I don't want the monitor, just the computer part of the laptop, thanks. Oh man, there were so many weird things these scumballs came up with.

I'm going to have some fun with online reviews now, if you'll excuse me >:D

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4340 on: June 23, 2013, 07:51:12 PM »
We just upgraded our desktop rig, adding a solid state drive and upgrading the case and graphics card. No bloatware on a machine that is built at home either!

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4341 on: June 24, 2013, 07:14:22 AM »
We just upgraded our desktop rig, adding a solid state drive and upgrading the case and graphics card. No bloatware on a machine that is built at home either!

I really want to replace my C drive with a solid state.  Boot-- oh, you're done.

Piratelvr1121

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4342 on: June 24, 2013, 07:47:07 AM »
Not really a store but I'm just giving up on the little train museum that's in our park.  It's not a huge museum really but they have an old steam engine and coal tender.  I've taken the older two there but I'd like for the little guy to get to see it up close as well. 

But they are NEVER open!  They have hours posted for the summer and we've gone during those hours but the gates are always locked.   Last time they were locked and there was someone sitting on a bench just outside the building near the engine.
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars.  You have a right to be here. Be cheerful, strive to be happy. -Desiderata

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4343 on: June 24, 2013, 12:03:46 PM »

I really want to replace my C drive with a solid state.  Boot-- oh, you're done.

I can't believe how fast it is!

snappylt

« Reply #4344 on: June 24, 2013, 12:28:11 PM »
Ugh, Sears is the worst. I posted earlier in the thread about my own terrible customer service experience with them. After hours of trying, we never could manage to actually speak with someone who could help us; everyone we got on the phone just said "someone will call you back within 48 hours" and we never got a call back, ever. Eventually we gave up, bought a washing machine elsewhere, and disputed the charge with my credit card. Sears didn't bother to respond to the disputed charge, so I got the refund.

A few years ago we made the mistake of buying a washing machine online from Sears.com .  When it arrived and we started using it, we found that it shredded our clothing!  Sears.com had a wonderful return policy in writing at that time.  But in real life their policy seemed worthless because nobody would accept responsibility for actually authorizing our return.  The human operators who answered the phones at Sears.com agreed that we had a legitimate return, but they insisted that we had to contact the local Sears store to arrange the return.  The local Sears store said that it was too bad we had used the online Sears because they couldn't help us at the local store with an online return.

Round and around we went.

Finally we filed a dispute with our credit card bank, and that seemed to get someone's attention at Sears.com.  They finally sent a truck to pick up their washing machine that shredded clothes.

Never again.  No more shopping at Sears or Sears.com for us.

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4345 on: June 25, 2013, 10:33:38 AM »
If only I had a choice, but Fed Ex Smartpost. Which is anything but. I order quite a bit online, and really have never had any issue with this method of delivery. But recently, I ordered some stuff from Kohls, which I do pretty regularly. First the tracking number they gave me was for something that was delivered a month ago, to Michigan (I’m in NJ). So I called them. Oh, oh, apparently they “recycle” tracking numbers, and since it’s a weekend, by Monday it should reconcile.

So Monday comes, and now there are two shipments with the same number. the one I saw initially, and another. Which only says where it left FROM, but not where its going. So I’m not sure if its my shipment or not!! and my order conform from Kohls says “delivery between today and the 28th” but the actual fed ex delivery says delivery by Sat, 6/29.  Argh.

Miss Tickle

« Reply #4346 on: June 25, 2013, 11:47:50 AM »
I've debated posting this because it totally shoots my blood pressure through the roof.

When I was newly married Sears let DH use my account without permission. I opened a bill where the charges were listed as overdue, and as I was freaking out about identity theft he remembered and told me what happened. I paid immediately and admonished the cashier about the lack of permission. She told me I have to tell them who CAN'T use the account. I said that's the most asinine thing I'd ever heard, but since she brought it up, did she have a Sears Card? And does her account say I can't use it? She replied she doesn't know me, and I said Sears didn't "know" my husband either! I closed the charge card that day.

Then I got a collection call from Sears. I've never been in collections in my life. I told them I paid off the bill and was still very angry they let an unauthorized user charge to my account. Oh, no, they were calling because the late charge went into collections, and I owed that fee. I explained the situation to the agent and suggested for the sake of my continued patronage they drop the late fees, but because it was in collections I had to pay.  I said, that's fine, but it's the last penny Sears would ever get out of me.

They continued to call to offer their services, and every time they called I told my story.  I made sure they got through the whole spiel, and wasted as much of the salespersons time as possible. Each time I warned them to take me off their list or I'd do it to the next caller, and for months they kept calling.  Eventually I got snippy and started shouting at them. "STOP CALLING! I WILL NEVER GIVE YOU MONEY! I HATE SEARS!" which devolved to repeated "I HATE SEARS, I HATE SEARS, I HATE SEARS!" until they hung up.

I think I got two more sales calls after the shouting started,. Finally I was called by a supervisor or someone who wanted to "talk to me" about my abusing his telemarketers. Can you believe the nerve? I explained the WHOLE story again, and said if you don't have the authority to take my name off your list find someone who does. If not, I will keep a whistle by the phone just for Sears. He told me I couldn't do that, it could harm their hearing, which would be assault. I said that's on you, dude, take my name off your list. He said he'd be taking this up with the police. (Because that's the best way to get me to give you money, threaten me with the cops!)

That was the last call. I guess the police didn't agree with him.

16 years later I still feel like yelling I HATE SEARS!! (Hulk smash!) every once in a while.

Gyburc

« Reply #4347 on: June 25, 2013, 11:49:10 AM »
Ugh, Sears is the worst. I posted earlier in the thread about my own terrible customer service experience with them. After hours of trying, we never could manage to actually speak with someone who could help us; everyone we got on the phone just said "someone will call you back within 48 hours" and we never got a call back, ever. Eventually we gave up, bought a washing machine elsewhere, and disputed the charge with my credit card. Sears didn't bother to respond to the disputed charge, so I got the refund.

A few years ago we made the mistake of buying a washing machine online from Sears.com .  When it arrived and we started using it, we found that it shredded our clothing!  Sears.com had a wonderful return policy in writing at that time.  But in real life their policy seemed worthless because nobody would accept responsibility for actually authorizing our return.  The human operators who answered the phones at Sears.com agreed that we had a legitimate return, but they insisted that we had to contact the local Sears store to arrange the return.  The local Sears store said that it was too bad we had used the online Sears because they couldn't help us at the local store with an online return.

Round and around we went.

Finally we filed a dispute with our credit card bank, and that seemed to get someone's attention at Sears.com.  They finally sent a truck to pick up their washing machine that shredded clothes.

Never again.  No more shopping at Sears or Sears.com for us.

Regarding washing machines, our old one died a couple of years ago. DH had been doing quite a lot of DIY, and we hadn't been as careful as we should have been when we checked his trouser pockets before loading the machine. There was a nail in there, and it punctured the drum.

We read the warranty information, and it was pretty clear that this fell under the heading of 'accidental damage' which was covered. When DH phoned up, the lady he spoke to tried really really hard to convince him that this was some previously unknown kind of accidental damage that mysteriously wasn't covered... Fortunately, DH is extremely persistent, and we got our money back.  ::)
When you look into the photocopier, the photocopier also looks into you

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4348 on: June 25, 2013, 11:52:03 AM »
There is a commercial on TV right now that is cracking me up, because of this thread.  It is a family and the voice over says, we are going to take away your washer and dryer for 2 weeks.  The husband says OK while the wife looks on in horror.  It goes through their two weeks of wearing every last article of clothing they have, etc.  And then it goes on to talk about the great washer and dryer they got from, you guessed it, SEARS.  All I can think every time I see that commercial is that if you buy it from Sears, not having your washer and dryer for 2 weeks is going to be a regular occurence if it ever breaks down.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4349 on: June 25, 2013, 01:40:31 PM »
DH needed a new windshield, and had it done by the guys who do repairs at his favorite full-service car wash.

They sent two guys, one of whom was apparently inebriated (unsure which substance), and who managed to put a rather nice ding in DH's hood. Then tried to tell DH "that'll buff out". No, this wasn't a scuff, it's a pretty good ding. So DH calls the shop to complain. He's going to have to run to Big City 45 Min Away (we live in Smaller City with plenty of places that can do this kind of work) to get it fixed on Shop's dime.

I told him next time, he's calling the place that replaced my windshield - the guys who replaced mine FIVE TIMES in 2 months without complaint or snark when it turned out the windshields they had for my model car had a minor defect that prevented the rain sensors from working (a defect that went unnoticed because it would not have been a problem on most cars, but Mini Coopers are fussy like that).
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture