Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1274282 times)

crs1881

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4350 on: June 25, 2013, 03:59:03 PM »
Lack of volunteers perhaps?

Not really a store but I'm just giving up on the little train museum that's in our park.  It's not a huge museum really but they have an old steam engine and coal tender.  I've taken the older two there but I'd like for the little guy to get to see it up close as well. 

But they are NEVER open!  They have hours posted for the summer and we've gone during those hours but the gates are always locked.   Last time they were locked and there was someone sitting on a bench just outside the building near the engine.

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4351 on: June 26, 2013, 11:03:30 AM »
Piratelvr1121 wrote:

"Not really a store but I'm just giving up on the little train museum that's in our park.  It's not a huge museum really but they have an old steam engine and coal tender.  I've taken the older two there but I'd like for the little guy to get to see it up close as well.

But they are NEVER open!  They have hours posted for the summer and we've gone during those hours but the gates are always locked.   Last time they were locked and there was someone sitting on a bench just outside the building near the engine."

I'd bet my dollar that they're running out of money (or they have run out) and so they can't open the museum to the public.

crs1881 wrote:

"Lack of volunteers perhaps?"

I'd bet it's funding.  Even with volunteers they wouldn't be able to open to the public without some sort of liability coverage, so the person that Piratelvr1121 saw probably wasn't allowed to let them in.

I'd suggest calling them or asking whoever's there if you see someone sitting there why they're closed, and odds are good they'll tell you.  If it's money, then you're stuck unless you're willing to help them raise funds.

Virg

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4352 on: June 26, 2013, 12:20:15 PM »
The small cafeteria in my building. While they are nice, they are just kind of slow, and very disorganized. i went down today, and ordered a grilled chicken wrap. the chicken is cooked, but frozen, so takes maybe 5-7 minutes on the grill to thaw, etc. in the meantime, FOUR people came in, ordered, paid and left, and only then did she start getting my sandwich ready (wrap, roasted peppers, fresh mozz balls) they don't have any sense of urgency, and will start one person's order, then go to something else, leaving yours unfinished, when it would make more sense to say, prep my sandwich, sans chicken, then move onto the next person, and so on. But they jump around and it took me 20+ minutes to get my lunch, which i wasn't too happy about.

Sadly, i'm lazy so I won't follow through but will make more of an effort to bring my lucnh

Pen^2

« Reply #4353 on: June 26, 2013, 12:57:36 PM »
Miss Tickle, that is insane. I mean holy flying fresh coprolites.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4354 on: June 26, 2013, 01:34:23 PM »

When I was newly married Sears let DH use my account without permission. I opened a bill where the charges were listed as overdue,

I do not understand. Miss Tickle was married. They should have had the charge on a bill before it went overdue/to collections so it should have been settled before it went overdue between Mr. and Ms. Tickle if it needed to be.

I'm sorry there is so much stress here, but I just don't get the problem. Thank you for explaining this to me - and please be nice to me.

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4355 on: June 26, 2013, 01:48:21 PM »
Piratelvr1121 wrote:

"Not really a store but I'm just giving up on the little train museum that's in our park.  It's not a huge museum really but they have an old steam engine and coal tender.  I've taken the older two there but I'd like for the little guy to get to see it up close as well.

But they are NEVER open!  They have hours posted for the summer and we've gone during those hours but the gates are always locked.   Last time they were locked and there was someone sitting on a bench just outside the building near the engine."

I'd bet my dollar that they're running out of money (or they have run out) and so they can't open the museum to the public.

crs1881 wrote:

"Lack of volunteers perhaps?"

I'd bet it's funding.  Even with volunteers they wouldn't be able to open to the public without some sort of liability coverage, so the person that Piratelvr1121 saw probably wasn't allowed to let them in.

I'd suggest calling them or asking whoever's there if you see someone sitting there why they're closed, and odds are good they'll tell you.  If it's money, then you're stuck unless you're willing to help them raise funds.

Virg

I agree with this. Small musea (and big) are really struggling for funding and for non-financial help. Give them a call.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

Jocelyn

« Reply #4356 on: June 26, 2013, 01:49:36 PM »

When I was newly married Sears let DH use my account without permission. I opened a bill where the charges were listed as overdue,

I do not understand. Miss Tickle was married. They should have had the charge on a bill before it went overdue/to collections so it should have been settled before it went overdue between Mr. and Ms. Tickle if it needed to be.

I'm sorry there is so much stress here, but I just don't get the problem. Thank you for explaining this to me - and please be nice to me.
Luci,
I think the upsetting part of it was that the cardholder had not authorized anyone else to use the card. A person should not be able to go into a store and use a card by saying, 'It's my wife's.' 
The store couldn't know for sure that they were married, nor could the store know if they had recently split up. If the only authorized user on the account is the wife, a clerk shouldn't just assume that it would be OK to let a man saying he's her husband, use her card.

Asharah

« Reply #4357 on: June 26, 2013, 01:55:40 PM »

Luci,
I think the upsetting part of it was that the cardholder had not authorized anyone else to use the card. A person should not be able to go into a store and use a card by saying, 'It's my wife's.' 
The store couldn't know for sure that they were married, nor could the store know if they had recently split up. If the only authorized user on the account is the wife, a clerk shouldn't just assume that it would be OK to let a man saying he's her husband, use her card.
I kinda wonder if hubby realized he screwed up and hid the first bill. Maybe intended to pay it himself and then forgot about it.
Asharah

thedudeabides

« Reply #4358 on: June 26, 2013, 03:30:55 PM »

Luci,

Right. Just because someone *says* they're my spouse does not make it so. And while they allowed her actual spouse to make the charge this time, there is nothing in a policy like that to guarantee the next person claiming to be her spouse instead of a thief.

Luci

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4359 on: June 26, 2013, 04:44:25 PM »
Thanks. I don't trust anyone except my family, so I guess if I had been a clerk I would have checked.

Sometimes credit card numbers are taken over the phone or online. That would be easy to sneak past in some instances.

You all also explained how Miss Tickle maybe didn't know about the charge right away. That's really one than never occured to me. It rarely occurs to me that a spouse could really betray his partner. You'd think I have been on eHell long enough and seen enough TV shows and news reports to not be surprised

Too many rainbows and unicorns in my world ?   :).

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4360 on: June 26, 2013, 04:58:34 PM »

Luci,
I kinda wonder if hubby realized he screwed up and hid the first bill. Maybe intended to pay it himself and then forgot about it.
Well, I know I've been guilty of delaying the opening of bills because I knew there weren't charges on there, even though I know I should be checking just to make sure everything says what it's supposed to say. Maybe that's what happened here; she "knew" there was a zero balance so she set it aside for later, then only found out about DH's charges after the second bill came.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #4361 on: June 27, 2013, 11:20:09 AM »
Cracker Barrel - Abilene, TX

We always time our trips to hit there around a meal time, everyone in our family loves Cracker Barrel and until recently did not have one close to us.

Sunday afternoon - 5:20 pm arrive for dinner.  They are not packed and that's unusual and it should have been a warning.  We were seated immediately. 

At 5:40 I flagged down a waitress to try and take our order (we had not been served water nor our drink order taken).  She was not our server but would find ours.  The table next to us immediately commented that they had to flag down a server to order also and were still waiting on their check.  (2nd Red flag!)

At 5:45 our server took our drink and food order.  Drinks arrived a few minutes later.  At 6:15 having not seen our server again, I went in search of the manager.  At 6:20 the front cashier paged him and I explained the situation to him and showed him where we were sitting, he immediately brought us a plate of biscuits & muffins.  At 6:40 our food arrived.  Except for my fried chicken livers, everything ordered should have been premade - their famous roast beef, macaroni & cheese, potato casserole and applesauce.  I don't see what the delay might have been and then our food was not HOT, it was warm and it was edible but it wasn't hot like it just came out of the kitchen.

In the meanwhile, two tables that had come in, gave up and left after several minutes of trying to get a server to take their orders.  Also, the table two up from us had the manager comp their dinner they were so unhappy and loudly let him know. (bright red blanket waving in the breeze!)   

We saw our server again at 7:00 when she dropped off our ticket.  Now we wanted dessert but at that point, rather than wait longer for poor service I just wanted to be back on the road.  When I checked out the cashier asked if everything had been resolved and I said, "well we did finally get our food, it wasn't hot but it was edible.  And having now been here over an hour and a half we are getting back on the road."  She gave me my ticket with the survey information attached and we left.  I had her close out the amount on my credit card and tipped my waitress in cash 10% only.  I am usually at least 15% but not for that crappy service. 

I filled out the survey online and detailed the exact sequence of events.  We won't stop there again.  It may have been a one time only bad experience but we have a CB closer to us now that likes our business and takes good care of us.  There are plenty of places in Abilene that will be happy to see us and take our money while providing good service, so we will stop elsewhere next time we pass through there.   I have never had bad service at Cracker Barrel until this one experience.   

nayberry

« Reply #4362 on: June 27, 2013, 11:35:21 AM »

We always time our trips to hit there around a meal time, everyone in our family loves Cracker Barrel and until recently did not have one close to us.

Sunday afternoon - 5:20 pm arrive for dinner.  They are not packed and that's unusual and it should have been a warning.  We were seated immediately. 

At 5:40 I flagged down a waitress to try and take our order (we had not been served water nor our drink order taken).  She was not our server but would find ours.  The table next to us immediately commented that they had to flag down a server to order also and were still waiting on their check.  (2nd Red flag!)

At 5:45 our server took our drink and food order.  Drinks arrived a few minutes later.  At 6:15 having not seen our server again, I went in search of the manager.  At 6:20 the front cashier paged him and I explained the situation to him and showed him where we were sitting, he immediately brought us a plate of biscuits & muffins.  At 6:40 our food arrived.  Except for my fried chicken livers, everything ordered should have been premade - their famous roast beef, macaroni & cheese, potato casserole and applesauce.  I don't see what the delay might have been and then our food was not HOT, it was warm and it was edible but it wasn't hot like it just came out of the kitchen.

In the meanwhile, two tables that had come in, gave up and left after several minutes of trying to get a server to take their orders.  Also, the table two up from us had the manager comp their dinner they were so unhappy and loudly let him know. (bright red blanket waving in the breeze!)   

We saw our server again at 7:00 when she dropped off our ticket.  Now we wanted dessert but at that point, rather than wait longer for poor service I just wanted to be back on the road.  When I checked out the cashier asked if everything had been resolved and I said, "well we did finally get our food, it wasn't hot but it was edible.  And having now been here over an hour and a half we are getting back on the road."  She gave me my ticket with the survey information attached and we left.  I had her close out the amount on my credit card and tipped my waitress in cash 10% only.  I am usually at least 15% but not for that crappy service. 

I filled out the survey online and detailed the exact sequence of events.  We won't stop there again.  It may have been a one time only bad experience but we have a CB closer to us now that likes our business and takes good care of us.  There are plenty of places in Abilene that will be happy to see us and take our money while providing good service, so we will stop elsewhere next time we pass through there.   I have never had bad service at Cracker Barrel until this one experience.   

^^ now this is where i don't understand tipping,  why would you tip at all after such awful service?

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4363 on: June 27, 2013, 11:42:30 AM »

^^ now this is where i don't understand tipping,  why would you tip at all after such awful service?

I agree.  I wouldn't have left ANY tip. 

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4364 on: June 27, 2013, 11:46:30 AM »

I thought the same thing.  Particularly if we remember that the word TIP is an acronym for "to insure promptness".  There certainly was no "promptness" anywhere in sight! 

I'd have notified the home office of Cracker Barrel, letting them know how much you've always enjoyed this place in the past -- so much so that you were careful to integrate it into your trip schedule.   I like Cracker Barrel too, and I'm pretty sure the execs wouldn't want this particular one to affect their current and potential customers' feelings about the whole chain.