Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1094179 times)

Cami

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4425 on: July 30, 2013, 10:37:38 AM »
Are you sure you didn't end up at LaGuardia by mistake?
Haha! I'd rather end up in LaGuardia than the Delta counters at JFK.

ica171

• Must Add Fabric Softener
« Reply #4426 on: July 30, 2013, 10:43:58 AM »
Two weeks ago, DH and I went out for our 19th anniversary of being a couple. We went to see a movie, I had bought the tickets earlier via the Fandango app. I had no trouble getting the passes printed at the terminal, then giving them to the ticket taker, but once we got to the concession stand, it was a nightmare.

The concession stand had two people manning registers, a manager, and a floater who was filling orders and helping. We placed our order, then waited and waited. Because I had ordered popcorn, I wanted napkins. The napkin dispensers were empty. I told the man who was "helping" me, who looked at me like he didn't know where to get more. I then steadily increased my volume from low to moderate and asked for the manager. How do you not know where napkins are kept? He seemed to want us to go away, so he could "help" the next person even though we didn't have our items yet. Finally, DH went into the restroom and got paper towels for us. Sheesh.  :(

So when we went Sunday to see RED 2, we went to a different theater and operator. They had plenty of napkins.  :P

A while ago, DH and I went to see a movie. When you have three young kids, going out alone for a few hours takes a decent amount of coordination, plus I was nursing at the time so there was that to plan for, etc. We went, got our tickets, sat down and waited for the movie to start, and...the wrong movie played. We hadn't looked at our tickets after we bought them to verify the title, because why should we need to? But the clerk had sold us tickets for a movie that had the same word in the title but was not anything we were even remotely interested in seeing. We went and got a refund (the manager didn't even apologize, just gave us our money back without a word), but the next showing for our movie was in three hours. We ended up going to a different theater and seeing the original movie, and we will never go back to the first theater. Listening for key words when you're selling movie tickets is not even close to a good way to do your job.

Barney girl

« Reply #4427 on: July 30, 2013, 12:39:18 PM »
I had similar with people not listening to key words. I had a visitor from Germany staying with me recently while another German was staying with others in the town. I'd picked them both up from the airport, but had said that I wouldn't be able to take them back because of work commitments (it's a four hour round trip). I found trains for them and, as the connections were tight, suggested they would be safer catching the train which went an hour earlier. Normally if I'm buying tickets I would buy on-line, but in this case as she was paying we went to the station the day before and I did the talking as, although her English is good, this was simpler.
I asked for two single tickets to Birmingham International for the relevant time.
What day did we want to come back?
Reminded her I'd said single tickets. I then asked if the trains from Birmingham New Street [the main line station] to the airport are frequent, as it had occurred to me that if the connections worked out my friends could spend the extra time in Birmingham, rather than hanging around the airport. She confirmed they were. She then told us the price for the two tickets.
My friend paid and I had some query, about the airport train, at which point the woman in the ticket office told me that the price she'd given was to Birmingham New Street, not the airport. When I reminded her I'd said International she put the blame back on me saying I'd then asked about the trains from New Street, so she had assumed we didn't need the tickets to include travel from New Street to International.
So, in the course of a simple transaction she hadn't listened when I'd said single, not return, and had sold tickets to the wrong destination.
I did double check that she had the day right, but fortunately that was OK.

CakeBeret

« Reply #4428 on: July 30, 2013, 02:21:43 PM »
A local dealership.

My brother is an auto mechanic and works at an auto parts store. Our grandmother's car needs work, and my brother was going to take a look at it. He needed a copy of the owner's manual for her car, and since her car is old and unpopular, he couldn't find a manual anywhere but a dealership. He called the dealership from his work phone to purchase a manual. I was lucky enough to listen to his call with the MANAGER of the dealership:

Dealership: I can't sell you a manual.
Bro: Why?
Dealer: Because you're a competitor.
Bro: What? I work at an auto parts store but I just want to fix my grandmother's car.
Dealer: Well, I can't sell you the manual.
Bro: I don't understand why.
Dealer: You work for a competitor and you're not the owner of the car.
Bro: So? I just want to buy a manual for my grandmother, who owns the car.
Dealer: We can only sell manuals to the person who owns the car.
Bro: If I have my grandmother call to buy a manual, will you sell it to her?
Dealer: No. You could be trying to scam us. You *do* work for a competitor.
Bro: Are you accusing me of lying?
Dealer: You might be.
Bro: So, because I work for an auto parts store, my grandma can't have a manual for her car?
Dealer: That's correct. It's a *car manufacturer* mandate and we can't do anything about it.
Bro: That's bull hockey, I used to work for *car manufacturer* and there's no such rule.
Dealer: I'm still not going to sell you the manual.

Miraculously enough, the dealership in the next town over had no problem selling Bro the manual, and even mailed it to him for free.

It's not like owner's manuals contain trade secrets or anything either. ::)
"From a procrastination standpoint, today has been wildly successful."

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
« Reply #4429 on: July 30, 2013, 04:47:52 PM »
Huh.  When our washing machine went wonky, DH found the relevant pages of the manual to fix it by searching on-line.

now, a car is a bit bigger, but  I have to wonder what trade secrets the manager thought he was guarding!
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4430 on: July 30, 2013, 08:23:14 PM »
Huh.  When our washing machine went wonky, DH found the relevant pages of the manual to fix it by searching on-line.

now, a car is a bit bigger, but  I have to wonder what trade secrets the manager thought he was guarding!
The trade secret that he is a big, fat, lying, horses' behind.  >:D

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4431 on: July 30, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »
...  I have to wonder what trade secrets the manager thought he was guarding!

The trade secret he was guarding was "If I won't give you the information on how to fix it or how to get the parts to fix it, then you'll have to bring the car to me to get it repaired and I will charge your Dear Grandmother a trillion times cost.  Just think of the money I'll lose if I just hand over the manual!  That's my trade secret way of getting rich off of little old ladies.  You can't expect me to give that up!"

Snooks

« Reply #4432 on: August 03, 2013, 07:01:32 PM »
I had similar with people not listening to key words. I had a visitor from Germany staying with me recently while another German was staying with others in the town. I'd picked them both up from the airport, but had said that I wouldn't be able to take them back because of work commitments (it's a four hour round trip). I found trains for them and, as the connections were tight, suggested they would be safer catching the train which went an hour earlier. Normally if I'm buying tickets I would buy on-line, but in this case as she was paying we went to the station the day before and I did the talking as, although her English is good, this was simpler.
I asked for two single tickets to Birmingham International for the relevant time.
What day did we want to come back?
Reminded her I'd said single tickets. I then asked if the trains from Birmingham New Street [the main line station] to the airport are frequent, as it had occurred to me that if the connections worked out my friends could spend the extra time in Birmingham, rather than hanging around the airport. She confirmed they were. She then told us the price for the two tickets.
My friend paid and I had some query, about the airport train, at which point the woman in the ticket office told me that the price she'd given was to Birmingham New Street, not the airport. When I reminded her I'd said International she put the blame back on me saying I'd then asked about the trains from New Street, so she had assumed we didn't need the tickets to include travel from New Street to International.
So, in the course of a simple transaction she hadn't listened when I'd said single, not return, and had sold tickets to the wrong destination.
I did double check that she had the day right, but fortunately that was OK.

This reminds me of my local station, I needed to renew my railcard which gives me money off travel but isn't a ticket.  I queued up in the very long queue got to the front of the line where on each window they have leaflet holders full of the application forms for these cards and when I said "I need to renew my railcard" the reply was "You can't do that here you need to go to the travel centre, go outside and turn right then left".  I had left plenty of time to get the train (my parents were getting on at the next stop to meet me) but that little palaver meant I was bolting for the train which of course was on the furthest away platform.  Luckily the man in the travel centre was very efficient and I managed to jump the queue slightly by picking up a ticket which had been abandoned.

Cherry91

« Reply #4433 on: August 08, 2013, 11:57:44 AM »
Not a shop but a company:

When I was about 17, my parents gave me a beautiful new laptop. It worked for everyone - one less person on the family computer, I could do schoolwork on it and so on. It came with a year's free McCaffrey's antivirus and firewall on it.

A year passes, and McCaffrey send me an email telling me that I need to pay for another year's protection (I didn't know as much about computers as I do now). However, being a mostly online company, they wanted the payment done by card, so I asked my father to put the payment on his card and I'd give him the money.

Fast forward another year, and I get an email from them telling me that they'd taken the next year's payment from the card I'd paid with! Without even consulting me or asking my consent! I was at university by this point, so I had to ring my father up the second I received the email to tell him that he hadn't been the victim of credit card fraud and shouldn't cut up his card.  >:(

Turns out, McCaffrey sets all its customers's accounts to just take the next installment out of their bank account as default, doesn't tell the customers that this is the current set up and makes it really difficult to change your account settings to stop it happening. I had them delete my account, and I will never use them again as long as I live.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4434 on: August 08, 2013, 01:16:05 PM »
Not a shop but a company:

When I was about 17, my parents gave me a beautiful new laptop. It worked for everyone - one less person on the family computer, I could do schoolwork on it and so on. It came with a year's free McCaffrey's antivirus and firewall on it.

A year passes, and McCaffrey send me an email telling me that I need to pay for another year's protection (I didn't know as much about computers as I do now). However, being a mostly online company, they wanted the payment done by card, so I asked my father to put the payment on his card and I'd give him the money.

Fast forward another year, and I get an email from them telling me that they'd taken the next year's payment from the card I'd paid with! Without even consulting me or asking my consent! I was at university by this point, so I had to ring my father up the second I received the email to tell him that he hadn't been the victim of credit card fraud and shouldn't cut up his card.  >:(

Turns out, McCaffrey sets all its customers's accounts to just take the next installment out of their bank account as default, doesn't tell the customers that this is the current set up and makes it really difficult to change your account settings to stop it happening. I had them delete my account, and I will never use them again as long as I live.

That's pretty standard. I always assume this is the case when I purchase any kind of subscription online.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4435 on: August 08, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.  I agree that it is pretty standard way to operate.  Doesn't mean it is right.  It is one of the main reasons I won't sign up with a particular dating service.  If you don't cancel, they just keep charging you.

I will never deal with Norton AV again.  I don't think I actually paid for it but it was a complete pain.  It was a total pig and completely bogged down my computer and then when I tried to remove it, I had a really hard time doing so.  I ended up taking it to my computer guy to have it removed.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4436 on: August 08, 2013, 02:02:10 PM »
I think the company is called 'McAfee'.  I agree that it is pretty standard way to operate.  Doesn't mean it is right.  It is one of the main reasons I won't sign up with a particular dating service.  If you don't cancel, they just keep charging you.

I will never deal with Norton AV again.  I don't think I actually paid for it but it was a complete pain.  It was a total pig and completely bogged down my computer and then when I tried to remove it, I had a really hard time doing so.  I ended up taking it to my computer guy to have it removed.

This is one that frequently gets included in the software packages that new computers come with, and it is a BEAR to try and get rid of.  We actually had a subscription to Norton once upon a time, but never again.  Once it's on your computer, it's like you're infected with it. 

MrTango

« Reply #4437 on: August 08, 2013, 02:26:31 PM »

I had Norton on my old desktop computer.  It was free because they had a deal with my college (I was still in school when in installed it), and the never tried to charge me for updates.  It was a major memory hog, and there were numerous occasions where I had to force-stop the process in order to get any real work done on the computer.

Now, I use Kaspersky (~$40/year) on my laptop and MS Security Essentials (Free) on my current desktop PC and my tablet PC.

Outdoor Girl

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4438 on: August 08, 2013, 02:48:37 PM »
I use AVG Free on a laptop that is used minimally on the internet (for work as secretary of my union local).  My personal laptop is a Mac so I don't have anything there.

I turned my computer guy onto AVG Free and he now recommends it for people who aren't doing heavy duty stuff on their computers.
I have CDO.  It is like OCD but with the letters in alphabetical order, as they should be.
Ontario

magicdomino

« Reply #4439 on: August 08, 2013, 03:15:21 PM »

To add insult to injury, a virus got by Norton AV anyway.  I ended up taking the computer to a repair shop to get the hard drive wiped and reloaded.  The computer guy put AVG Free on it, and I added Malwarebytes, since it plays well with other antivirus programs.