Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1131697 times)

snowdragon

Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4485 on: August 20, 2013, 08:30:11 PM »
Gramma Dishes, I already have emailed them.

gramma dishes

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4486 on: August 20, 2013, 08:32:54 PM »
Gramma Dishes, I already have emailed them.

Good! 

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4487 on: August 20, 2013, 08:47:20 PM »
After telling her I only use the name I have already given her - she tells me "I know that's not true - I know you have another name here, I am seeing a "Andrew" at your address, so you need to tell me your real name."  ( My  name is Carole.)
 At this point I reached across her and got my ID - and told her that she "obviously does not want to deal with me" and left.
So the idiot woman was looking at another woman (I'm assuming, since Carole is almost always a female name) and saying that you also use the male name 'Andrew'?  She thinks there can't possibly be a husband/brother/BIL/nephew/son at that address with that name?   ::)   And I agree, they have NO reason to have your SSN.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4488 on: August 20, 2013, 08:52:31 PM »
Is this a place that pays for your blood donation?  Because the only reason I can see for them being so suspicious is if they pay for donations and people try to donate more often than they ought because of it.  Not that this in any way justifies it, just that it explains it.  Otherwise?  She's just bat-poo crazy!

snowdragon

« Reply #4489 on: August 20, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
Is this a place that pays for your blood donation?  Because the only reason I can see for them being so suspicious is if they pay for donations and people try to donate more often than they ought because of it.  Not that this in any way justifies it, just that it explains it.  Otherwise?  She's just bat-poo crazy!

No - this is the American Red Cross http://www.redcross.org/...part of the International Red Cross they do not pay for donations.

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
« Reply #4490 on: August 20, 2013, 09:09:58 PM »
Okay.  I didn't realize they never did.  I've heard of places paying for blood, didn't know what those places are.  That's just weird.

When I was in college, I vowed never to give blood to a certain local hospital's blood drives.  I'd given blood a number of times to the Red Cross and not had a problem (other than people assuming that I'm anemic or terrified when I go to give blood, due to my very light skin color).  I had given blood a number of times and was pretty comfortable doing so.

First, they refused to take the blood from my left arm and insisted on doing it from my right.  Why?  Because the chair they'd assigned me to had the (movable) arm rest on the right, and they didn't feel like moving it.  I always prefer my left because it's my non-dominant hand, and because it has a large and highly visible vein right at the elbow that everybody finds very easy to stick.  But, they insisted on my right.  Well, my right doesn't have a nice clear vein like that.  It has a branch of them near the elbow, and they're all fairly small.  So they told me I had bad veins on that arm and that they'd probably end up collapsing one, but they'd go ahead and give it a try anyway.  (They didn't agree to my suggestion of switching to the left arm.)

Then, after they did manage to stick the needle in, the guy realized he needed something under my chair in order to finish the process.  So, with his hand still holding the needle in my vein, he leaned forward to dig under my chair for whatever it was.  What tends to happen when you lean forward?  Yes, you put some weight on your hand as you lean in.  So he shoved the needle deeper into my arm.  And of course then it wasn't in the vein anymore, so the bleeding slowed.  Which apparently was my fault, because he kept trying to fix it, and he and his coworkers kept coming by and checking the blood flow and telling me that I just wasn't bleeding fast enough, and this was taking FOREVER.  In a tone that implied that I should somehow fix this.  The needle hurt constantly, and every moment it was in.  That had never happened before.

Anyway, the experience was so awful I went back to my dorm and cried and cried.  This was as a 21-year-old who was experienced at giving blood.  I stopped giving blood for years after that, I just couldn't stomach it.  If that hospital can't train their staff better than that, they don't get my blood.  Ever again.

LeeLee88

« Reply #4491 on: August 20, 2013, 09:21:22 PM »
Red Cross pulled some sneaky stuff with me as well.  I can't donate blood because of the specific time period I lived in Germany.  Found that out when I was in high school, tried to donate, and the woman loudly informed me I couldn't donate because they couldn't trust that I wasn't carrying diseases. She said it so loudly that everyone on my side of the gym heard her, and were fortunately disgusted by her actions.  Being a bit of a twit, I helped myself to a large stack of cookies and a big chug of orange juice for compensation. 

A few years after that, Red Cross calls the house wanting donations, and I tell them none of us can, for the reason I stated before.  Woman says it's not like that anymore, I should come down.  I do, and after they find out about my disqualifiers, I was told if I or any of my family tried to donate again, we'd be arrested for biological terrorism.  They say none of their people would have ever said it was fine for me to donate.  Yeah.  Sure.  Of course that's insane, but that was twice in a row I dealt with stupidity from them, and my family and I decided we were done trying, even though my mom has a rare and hot-commodity blood type.  I know not all of them are like that, but why chance it a third time, you know?

squeakers

« Reply #4492 on: August 20, 2013, 09:59:49 PM »
Not a store. But the Red Cross.
(snip)
  Then I got to the person doing the health questionnaire got in the act...first she wanted my Social Security Number, and told me she wanted to"run" it when I refused. (This is something that has never been in all the years I have been donating with the red cross. ) and then told me "if you don't want it run, then you must have something to hide."
(snip)

My niece just went to give blood for the first time. She found out that her SS# showed she had donated quite a few times previously.  Yeah, her egg donor had her SS# and must have needed some cash.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4493 on: August 20, 2013, 10:01:35 PM »
(snip)
  Then I got to the person doing the health questionnaire got in the act...first she wanted my Social Security Number, and told me she wanted to"run" it when I refused. (This is something that has never been in all the years I have been donating with the red cross. ) and then told me "if you don't want it run, then you must have something to hide."
(snip)

My niece just went to give blood for the first time. She found out that her SS# showed she had donated quite a few times previously.  Yeah, her egg donor had her SS# and must have needed some cash.

I hope that discovery was quickly followed by a check of niece's credit reports and possibly a police report.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

squeakers

« Reply #4494 on: August 20, 2013, 10:12:34 PM »
(snip)
(snip)

I hope that discovery was quickly followed by a check of niece's credit reports and possibly a police report.

I only heard about this secondhand but that is exactly what I told the person telling me this bit of family gossip.  The police report, no (because the odds of any one center remembering who/what the SS# looked like is slim) but yes on the checking her credit report.

If I happen to see niece I will tell her that myself. She already has a restraining order on her parents.. sad that they just keep doing things to her.
"I feel sarcasm is the lowest form of wit." "It is so low, in fact, that Miss Manners feels sure you would not want to resort to it yourself, even in your own defense. We do not believe in retaliatory rudeness." Judith Martin

BB-VA

« Reply #4495 on: August 20, 2013, 10:24:38 PM »
A dear friend and his brother had been Red Cross donors for years and each had their multi-gallon pins.

They stopped donating when friend's grandson needed major surgery, and Grandpa and Uncle went down to donate for the kid.  They were told it would cost $150 each to donate for the kid.  They rolled down their sleeves and walked out, never to return.

Basically, they could donate to strangers for free - but to donate to a family member would cost them.
"The Universe puts us in places where we can learn. They are never easy places, but they are right. Wherever we are, it's the right place and the right time. Pain that sometimes comes is part of the process of constantly being born."
- Delenn to Sheridan: "Babylon 5 - Distant Star"

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4496 on: August 20, 2013, 10:59:39 PM »
(snip)
(snip)

I only heard about this secondhand but that is exactly what I told the person telling me this bit of family gossip.  The police report, no (because the odds of any one center remembering who/what the SS# looked like is slim) but yes on the checking her credit report.

If I happen to see niece I will tell her that myself. She already has a restraining order on her parents.. sad that they just keep doing things to her.

I think the police report would be useful just for documenting a pattern, if nothing else.

That is very sad that they keep doing that.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

MrTango

« Reply #4497 on: August 20, 2013, 11:46:05 PM »
I'm right-handed, and I refuse to have blood drawn from my right arm for that reason.

It doesn't matter what the situation: Doctor's office for lab tests, donations, whatever.  They will draw from my left arm or they will not draw at all.

Usually, they'll insist on seeing my right arm to verify that I don't have evidence of illegal drug use ("tracks"), but that's it.

No matter how far along you are in the donation process, if they want to do something you're uncomfortable with, you absolutely 100% have the right to speak up and say "no."  If they don't listen, walk away.  If they try to pressure you or prevent you from leaving, make a scene.

MariaE

• So many books, so little time
« Reply #4498 on: August 21, 2013, 12:54:13 AM »
I'm right-handed, and I refuse to have blood drawn from my right arm for that reason.

It doesn't matter what the situation: Doctor's office for lab tests, donations, whatever.  They will draw from my left arm or they will not draw at all.

Usually, they'll insist on seeing my right arm to verify that I don't have evidence of illegal drug use ("tracks"), but that's it.

No matter how far along you are in the donation process, if they want to do something you're uncomfortable with, you absolutely 100% have the right to speak up and say "no."  If they don't listen, walk away.  If they try to pressure you or prevent you from leaving, make a scene.

I'm left handed and I always have my blood drawn from the right arm for the same reason. I don't care too much if it's just a single test, but anything more than that - absolutely.

Here it's standard to give out our SSN when donating blood (or the Danish equivalent anyway), but blood donations are only done by doctors/nurses here, so it's not like we're giving it to somebody who doesn't have access to it already. Also, I think identity theft based on SSN is a much lesser risk here.

Dane by birth, Kiwi by choice

medowynd

« Reply #4499 on: August 21, 2013, 01:45:37 AM »
I have donated several gallons of platelets and after twenty years, I know what works. When the notes on the file say, keep the tourniquet loose, then follow the instructions.  Don't tighten it up and then come over a few minutes later and comment that the blood is escaping the needle and now my arm is filling up with blood.  Not only is the donation now worthless, I get to walk around with a very, painful swollen arm.  Wow, maybe next time, they will believe me about the tourniquet and how to adjust it.  It got to the point, that the donations were further and further apart.  Now I very rarely donate.