Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1209519 times)

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4500 on: August 21, 2013, 06:32:02 AM »
A dear friend and his brother had been Red Cross donors for years and each had their multi-gallon pins.

They stopped donating when friend's grandson needed major surgery, and Grandpa and Uncle went down to donate for the kid.  They were told it would cost $150 each to donate for the kid.  They rolled down their sleeves and walked out, never to return.

Basically, they could donate to strangers for free - but to donate to a family member would cost them.

I have heard of people getting paid to donate blood, but I've never heard of having to pay to give blood.  In fact blood that is going to be used for a transfusion HAS TO come from a volunteer donor. 

It's so weird to hear of places where money changes hands when donating blood.

Iris

« Reply #4501 on: August 21, 2013, 07:18:29 AM »
A dear friend and his brother had been Red Cross donors for years and each had their multi-gallon pins.

They stopped donating when friend's grandson needed major surgery, and Grandpa and Uncle went down to donate for the kid.  They were told it would cost $150 each to donate for the kid.  They rolled down their sleeves and walked out, never to return.

Basically, they could donate to strangers for free - but to donate to a family member would cost them.

I have heard of people getting paid to donate blood, but I've never heard of having to pay to give blood.  In fact blood that is going to be used for a transfusion HAS TO come from a volunteer donor. 

It's so weird to hear of places where money changes hands when donating blood.

Just did a quick search of my local Red Cross - no money changes hands, ever, for blood around here. But they were quite discouraging of directed blood donations so maybe that's why the charge in this case(?) The reasons given were that there is no evidence that directed blood is safer than volunteer blood, the same testing regime has to be undertaken as for non-directed blood, and that what they called 'societal pressures' made people less honest on background/health questions for directed donations. Interesting.

On the other hand they were quite welcoming to the people who wanted to donate blood to *themselves* except that you had to make an appointment, not just show up.
"Can't do anything with children, can you?" the woman said.

Poirot thought you could, but forebore to say so.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4502 on: August 21, 2013, 08:17:53 AM »
I also did a search for blood donation centers and it seems that there are places that pay for plasma, but no one pays for blood.  The places that do pay people are not Red Cross Facilities, but they do have "medical" sounding names

Here in MD and DC, if you want to do an Autologous donation you have to get a prescription.  Otherwise, the hospital can tack the cost of blood onto your bill.  Not sure about other parts of the US.

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #4503 on: August 21, 2013, 09:23:34 AM »

A few years after that, Red Cross calls the house wanting donations, and I tell them none of us can, for the reason I stated before.  Woman says it's not like that anymore, I should come down.  I do, and after they find out about my disqualifiers, I was told if I or any of my family tried to donate again, we'd be arrested for biological terrorism. 

Um, HUH? Biological terrorism?

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

exitzero

« Reply #4504 on: August 21, 2013, 09:38:14 AM »

A few years after that, Red Cross calls the house wanting donations, and I tell them none of us can, for the reason I stated before.  Woman says it's not like that anymore, I should come down.  I do, and after they find out about my disqualifiers, I was told if I or any of my family tried to donate again, we'd be arrested for biological terrorism. 

Rob

I would think that someone donating blood on the off chance that they may have caught an undetected disease, hoping on the even greater chance that this disease would be passed on undetected to someone else and maybe that person would get sick should probably be listed under the "Professional Darwinism" thread as the worst terrorist ever.

Goosey

« Reply #4505 on: August 21, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »

Rob

I would think that someone donating blood on the off chance that they may have caught an undetected disease, hoping on the even greater chance that this disease would be passed on undetected to someone else and maybe that person would get sick should probably be listed under the "Professional Darwinism" thread as the worst terrorist ever.

And telling them that they may or may not have exposure to foreign diseases up front kind of ruins their chances as well!

I've had troubles with the red cross as well - mostly due to the poor training of their nurses.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4506 on: August 21, 2013, 09:48:27 AM »

Rob

DH can't donate for the same reasons. After I realized our local blood bank is very much for-profit, I only donate for a specific drive.

pierrotlunaire0

• I'm the cat's aunt!
« Reply #4507 on: August 21, 2013, 12:26:10 PM »
I stopped donating blood about 15 years ago.  I have O negative blood (universal donor), and also CMV negative (can't remember what that was, but it meant my blood was safe for newborns)>

There was the time when another donor had just been told he could leave.  He stood up and his vein opened up and blood started gushing everywhere.  Okay, but things happen.

But the last time I went, I am lying down, the nurse is digging in my arm (and I mean digging - it hurt!  Then she abruptly said, "Yeah, well, that didn't work," in a fairly loud voice and walked away.  Since she had spoke loudly and was looking at the other side of the room, I wasn't sure who she was speaking to and what didn't work.  After a few minutes, a different nurse came over.  It seems that the first nurse couldn't hit the vein.  Second nurse pulls out the needle and announces, "You missed the vein and got a chunk of tissue stuck in it!" as she waved it around.  She looks down at me and says, "Should we try again, or do you want to leave?"

I was out of there, and I have never gone there again.
I have enough lithium in my medicine cabinet to power three cars across a sizeable desert.  Which makes me officially...Three Cars Crazy

NyaChan

« Reply #4508 on: August 21, 2013, 07:49:45 PM »
My friend shared this story with me. 

She had been referred to a specialized gynecologist for some issues.  She got ready, got into the stirrups and the doctor walks in.  He does the greeting, then sits, leans down and just as he begins the examination suddenly exclaims - "I KNOW YOU!"

Awkward pause...

"You used to be on news!" Cue moment of  :o for her as she wonders what the heck in his line of sight triggered this recognition as, yes, she did use to be on the news.  She is not too keen on returning.

Petticoats

« Reply #4509 on: August 22, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »

She had been referred to a specialized gynecologist for some issues.  She got ready, got into the stirrups and the doctor walks in.  He does the greeting, then sits, leans down and just as he begins the examination suddenly exclaims - "I KNOW YOU!"

Awkward pause...

"You used to be on news!" Cue moment of  :o for her as she wonders what the heck in his line of sight triggered this recognition as, yes, she did use to be on the news.  She is not too keen on returning.

Bwahaha! I had a friend who had a very similar story, only she was recognized because she's an actress. Still, the weirdness of being recognized at that moment...

LeeLee88

« Reply #4510 on: August 22, 2013, 03:13:38 PM »

Rob

And telling them that they may or may not have exposure to foreign diseases up front kind of ruins their chances as well!

I've had troubles with the red cross as well - mostly due to the poor training of their nurses.

It was a horrid little vortex of madness and stupidity the likes of which I had never before seen.

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #4511 on: August 23, 2013, 10:46:10 AM »

Awkward pause...

Bwahaha! I had a friend who had a very similar story, only she was recognized because she's an actress. Still, the weirdness of being recognized at that moment...

Tacky I know but...    is your friend Sharon Stone?

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4512 on: August 23, 2013, 11:37:20 AM »
I can't give blood because of Meds I take and very mild heart condition. This was when AIDS was first making the news and there was confusion about transmission. I was chased through the Gallery by a guy that was bound and determined that I donate. He kept trying to explain how I couldn't get AIDS from donating something I knew.

1. I had 2 small kids with me
2. We were going ice skating

So not the best time to donate even if I could.

3. I had them because their father had had a heart attack and their Mom was taking their Dad in for tests. So I didn't want to discuss my heart condition in their hearing.

Fortunately a security at the Galleria responded quickly to my Loud I've told you 3 times to leave us alone - STOP FOLLOWING US.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

Jocelyn

« Reply #4513 on: August 24, 2013, 12:41:09 PM »
On a lighter note, the first time I gave blood, I was underage. I went in and got in line for screening. About halfway through, a nurse realized I didn't have the proper paperwork signed, and I told her my dad would be there any minute to sign it. She wanted to stop processing me, and asked her supervisor, who laughed and replied,  'Keep on going, her dad's our #1 donor, we set our watches by him, and there's no way he's not going to sign for his daughter to give blood when he gets here.' Sure enough, Dad walked in in a couple of minutes, and came over into the screening area to sign for me. (The nurse also knew that with my dad, no WAY would I have dared to have shown up without asking for his permission at home, and no WAY would I have dared to lie to them if I didn't have his permission!  ::) )
(fwiw, in our home state, a teen of my age could consent for medical testing, so it was legal to do the screening procedures on my own say-so, they just couldn't start the donation without parental signature).
I was well on the way to equalling his record, when I developed a health problem that makes me ineligible now.

MissRose

« Reply #4514 on: August 24, 2013, 02:22:27 PM »
Back to "Never shopping there again" ...  I would place this Chinese restaurant on the list that is in a tourist town.  I requested the dish be made a certain way and it was not made the way I asked special, and it was too hard to get into and out as it was right near a busy road to return back to complain as I was staying in a hotel down the road from them.  I simply picked the veggies out of the dish (as I am not a veggie person) anyways.