Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1249624 times)

RegionMom

• Super Hero!
  • ♪♫ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪♫ ♪ ♪♪♫ ♪♫ ♪♫
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4545 on: August 28, 2013, 10:40:29 PM »
wow, that makes me glad I chose laminate flooring!  One and a half days for two large rooms, one with odd cut-outs, including carpet removal and moving furniture around, and done!

But, the new smooth floors will be nice for a new baby and all their explorations and messes!

did you at least get a good price?

And, you and baby should be fine.  We were flooded out at 8 mos pregnant and the landlord tried to move us back in too soon, still had those big blue floor fans going!  Child is now 17 and absolutely fine. 
« Last Edit: August 28, 2013, 10:42:09 PM by RegionMom »
Fear is temporary...Regret is forever.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4546 on: August 28, 2013, 10:53:33 PM »
I hope you're asking contractor to pay for the hotel time!
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

GrammarNerd

« Reply #4547 on: August 29, 2013, 01:28:24 AM »
Was on a quick trip with the kids several years ago.  Stopped at a Burger King for a quick bite.  Oldest DS complained that his milk tasted funny.  I thought he was being dramatic so I told him to cut it out.  THEN my eye happened to catch sight of the expiration date, which was EIGHT DAYS before that date!  I took it up to the counter and they had to search high and low (going into a back refrigerator) for 'good' milk. 

The guy just handed me the new milk with a casual 'sorry about that', like he was kind of annoyed or something that I had brought it to his attention and that he had to go hunt for good milk.  So I took it back to the table, and my youngest complained about his apples tasting funny.  Just on a lark b/c of what had happened with the milk (and not thinking that this could possibly happen again), I checked the expiration date.  Well, yup, it did happen again.  The apples had expired 9 days before!  Made another trip to the counter and the guy gave me new apples and the casual 'sorry about that' and tried to send me on my way. 

I stayed there and said how in one order, I'd gotten TWO expired items, and they weren't expired by just a day or two either!  It was more than a week in both cases!  He acted very....unconcerned.  Not the kind of customer service I'd expect when my kids are given bad food.   (One time we got a chicken tender that was part of an appetizer platter at a perkins.  It wasn't cooked fully.  We asked to have it fully cooked, which they did, and the manager came out to talk to us, and they comped the whole platter.)  I finally got a handwritten phone number of the restaurant out of him, and that was only b/c I asked him what I do if my kids get sick from the bad food that they'd already consumed.  (Having had food poisoning twice, this was a concern for me.)  He just looked at me with an 'oh, brother' type of look and wrote down the number.

Frankly, I expected a lot more in terms of customer service and concern for their customers' well-being than they showed.  Yes, I did expect something to be comped or refunded, or for them to give a free dessert to the kids.  Something. SOMETHING other than them just basically blowing me off.  A show of goodwill, if you will.  They showed no concern for their mistakes, and that's what bothers me about the whole thing.  The attitude I got was like 'so the milk is expired.  Big deal.  I found you a different one, okaaaaay? (sarcasm)'

When I got home, I called their corporate complaint line.  They listened to the whole thing and said they'd investigate and get back to me.  After that, I got a very nice email from corporate saying that the store was owned by XYZ group and here's their number.  Have a good day and thanks for calling!

Um....no.

I've already explained this twice.  That store made a BIG mistake, not once, but twice.  They blew me off in the store.  Then corporate blows me off?  No.  I don't care if the store is owned by corporate or not.  They're branded with the corporate brand.  If the individual store isn't holding up their responsibility to customers, then corporate should do something to ensure that the customer is happy and that the very real complaint is handled in an acceptable fashion.  I'm not going to put in any more of MY time to make sure that they see the complaint.  If they don't care to escalate it, why should I?

I haven't been back to a Burger King in 4 years.

They've (the chain) lost lots of potential revenue from my family, not to mention the other people that I've told who said they're not patronizing their stores either.  I'm certain the my kids tell their friends, b/c boy, they remember.  They now associate BK with bad food b/c of this.  Will we close down a store?  Probably not.  But I'm glad we're not adding to their bottom line in any small way.

(I did post this on this site at the time, and people pretty much thought I was being unreasonable and that they (store and corporate) handled it fine and had no obligation to do any more than they did.  But obviously, it still burns me up.)

dawnfire

« Reply #4548 on: August 29, 2013, 04:50:13 AM »
I hope you're asking contractor to pay for the hotel time!

that my thought too!

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
« Reply #4549 on: August 29, 2013, 09:14:37 AM »
Wait, Grammarnerd:  The store not only gives you well-past-expired items twice, acts like you're being difficult when you complain about it, and people think that the store handled it "fine?" Do you live next door to the doormat factory, or something? Sheesh. Once, I can understand -- mistakes happen -- if the store is apologetic about it. But to act like you're giving them a hard time?

Yeah. You're not overreacting. Your friends were underreacting.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Shalamar

« Reply #4550 on: August 29, 2013, 10:00:42 AM »
A few years ago, a brand-new Arby's opened up close to my house.  I liked Arby's, so I paid them a visit about two weeks after they'd opened.  Well ... they got my order wrong.  The fries were ice-cold.  The final straw was when I asked for the toys that should have come with my kids' meals - the guy looked irritated, then he pulled out a big dusty box, flung it on the counter (with dust flying all over the food), and said "Here.  Take whatever you want."

We didn't go back, and I wasn't surprised when they closed a few months later.

Edited to add:  I wrote to the head office to complain.  Never heard back.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 10:02:52 AM by Shalamar »

Hillia

« Reply #4551 on: August 29, 2013, 10:57:47 AM »
DH and I stopped at a Wendy's one night.  It was around 9:30pm; the sign on the door said the dining room was open til 10.  They had already begun closing for the night; the dining room chairs were all on top of tables, trash bags taken out of the bins, etc.  When we ordered our food, I couldn't get a baked potato because they were out, and something else (chili, maybe?) had already been cleaned up for the night.  We finally managed to get hamburgers and fries, all stale and near cold, and were told the dining room was closed, so we'd have to take the food to go.  Essentially, the employees had already shut the store down for the night and weren't interested in getting anything dirty again to make us fresh food, or risk having to clean up trash from two people eating.  I emailed Wendy's corporate with the details, and by noon the next day had the owner of that particular franchise location calling me and falling all over himself to apologize.  He said that all the staff would be retrained on proper closing procedures, and offered me a free meal, or vouchers for a free meal, or just about anything I wanted.  We were visiting DH's family at the time and weren't going to be near the store again, so I declined, but I did send a follow up email to corporate to let them know that the franchisee did take the complaint seriously and we were satisfied with the resolution.

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4552 on: August 29, 2013, 11:10:04 AM »
The best way to deal with the apathetic attitude that GrammarNerd encountered is to call in the big guns.  If I'd been in her position, getting two expired food items and then being blown off when I complained, I'd make a call to the local health department.  They can and will shut down a restaurant for this sort of thing, and in cases where the staff proves unconcerned with the error they'll even walk in with a sheriff in attendance and tell them to close the doors on the spot.  You'd be amazed how fast the owner will make it right when his food license is on the line.

Virg

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4553 on: August 29, 2013, 01:19:30 PM »
The best way to deal with the apathetic attitude that GrammarNerd encountered is to call in the big guns.  If I'd been in her position, getting two expired food items and then being blown off when I complained, I'd make a call to the local health department.  They can and will shut down a restaurant for this sort of thing, and in cases where the staff proves unconcerned with the error they'll even walk in with a sheriff in attendance and tell them to close the doors on the spot.  You'd be amazed how fast the owner will make it right when his food license is on the line.

Virg

My thoughts exactly.  Our local paper occasionally prints the health department reports for local restaurants. It does affect their business.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4554 on: August 29, 2013, 02:03:26 PM »
DH and I stopped at a Wendy's one night.  It was around 9:30pm; the sign on the door said the dining room was open til 10.  They had already begun closing for the night; the dining room chairs were all on top of tables, trash bags taken out of the bins, etc.  When we ordered our food, I couldn't get a baked potato because they were out, and something else (chili, maybe?) had already been cleaned up for the night.  We finally managed to get hamburgers and fries, all stale and near cold, and were told the dining room was closed, so we'd have to take the food to go.  Essentially, the employees had already shut the store down for the night and weren't interested in getting anything dirty again to make us fresh food, or risk having to clean up trash from two people eating.  I emailed Wendy's corporate with the details, and by noon the next day had the owner of that particular franchise location calling me and falling all over himself to apologize.  He said that all the staff would be retrained on proper closing procedures, and offered me a free meal, or vouchers for a free meal, or just about anything I wanted.  We were visiting DH's family at the time and weren't going to be near the store again, so I declined, but I did send a follow up email to corporate to let them know that the franchisee did take the complaint seriously and we were satisfied with the resolution.

Couldn't put your finger on it, huh?

Asharah

« Reply #4555 on: August 29, 2013, 02:06:53 PM »

Virg

My thoughts exactly.  Our local paper occasionally prints the health department reports for local restaurants. It does affect their business.
I remember a story where a person received a slice of pie that tasted funny and realized there was mold on the bottom.  :P Restaurant manager claimed he didn't know how to deduct it from bill or refund her money or some other such nonsense. I responded by speculating how fast he would have learned the necessary skill if she mentioned calling the health department and started dialing.
Asharah

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4556 on: August 29, 2013, 02:11:32 PM »

BWAHAHAHA - point to Diane.

ladyknight1

• Super Hero!
  • Operating the logic hammer since 1987.
« Reply #4557 on: August 29, 2013, 02:34:06 PM »
My family and I once visited an Asian buffet restaurant in the middle of tourist central.

It was not clean. The tables weren't clean, the buffet wasn't clean. The prices were not posted, so we asked before ordering drinks. We got one plate of food each, and then realized the chicken wings were hot, but the interiors were completely raw. When I asked to speak to a manager, two teenagers came up and said they manage the buffet. I pointed out the chicken and they waved off the concerns and never removed the raw chicken from the buffet, then gave us our bill with a mandatory service fee of $2 per person added to the amount we had been given before ordering.

I took lots of pictures, reported them to our state's department of professional regulation and the local health department. They were shut down a week later.

Shoo

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4558 on: August 29, 2013, 02:37:07 PM »

I must be really stoopid 'cuz I don't get it!

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4559 on: August 29, 2013, 03:02:00 PM »

I must be really stoopid 'cuz I don't get it!
Several years ago a woman claimed to find a human finger in Wendy's chili.  There was a finger, all right, but she had planted it there in order to sue the restaurant chain.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~