News: IT'S THE 2ND ANNUAL GUATEMALA LIBRARY PROJECT BOOK DRIVE!    LOOKING FOR DONATIONS OF SCIENCE BOOKS THIS YEAR.    Check it out in the "Extending the Hand of Kindness" folder or here: http://www.etiquettehell.com/smf/index.php?topic=139832.msg3372084#msg3372084   

• August 22, 2017, 08:17:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 2457870 times)

Mediancat

• Shibboleth of Shadowland
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4530 on: August 29, 2013, 08:14:37 AM »
Wait, Grammarnerd:  The store not only gives you well-past-expired items twice, acts like you're being difficult when you complain about it, and people think that the store handled it "fine?" Do you live next door to the doormat factory, or something? Sheesh. Once, I can understand -- mistakes happen -- if the store is apologetic about it. But to act like you're giving them a hard time?

Yeah. You're not overreacting. Your friends were underreacting.

Rob
"In all of mankind's history, there has never been more damage done than by someone who 'thought they were doing the right thing'." -- Lucy, Peanuts

Shalamar

« Reply #4531 on: August 29, 2013, 09:00:42 AM »
A few years ago, a brand-new Arby's opened up close to my house.  I liked Arby's, so I paid them a visit about two weeks after they'd opened.  Well ... they got my order wrong.  The fries were ice-cold.  The final straw was when I asked for the toys that should have come with my kids' meals - the guy looked irritated, then he pulled out a big dusty box, flung it on the counter (with dust flying all over the food), and said "Here.  Take whatever you want."

We didn't go back, and I wasn't surprised when they closed a few months later.

Edited to add:  I wrote to the head office to complain.  Never heard back.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2013, 09:02:52 AM by Shalamar »

Hillia

« Reply #4532 on: August 29, 2013, 09:57:47 AM »
DH and I stopped at a Wendy's one night.  It was around 9:30pm; the sign on the door said the dining room was open til 10.  They had already begun closing for the night; the dining room chairs were all on top of tables, trash bags taken out of the bins, etc.  When we ordered our food, I couldn't get a baked potato because they were out, and something else (chili, maybe?) had already been cleaned up for the night.  We finally managed to get hamburgers and fries, all stale and near cold, and were told the dining room was closed, so we'd have to take the food to go.  Essentially, the employees had already shut the store down for the night and weren't interested in getting anything dirty again to make us fresh food, or risk having to clean up trash from two people eating.  I emailed Wendy's corporate with the details, and by noon the next day had the owner of that particular franchise location calling me and falling all over himself to apologize.  He said that all the staff would be retrained on proper closing procedures, and offered me a free meal, or vouchers for a free meal, or just about anything I wanted.  We were visiting DH's family at the time and weren't going to be near the store again, so I declined, but I did send a follow up email to corporate to let them know that the franchisee did take the complaint seriously and we were satisfied with the resolution.

Virg

« Reply #4533 on: August 29, 2013, 10:10:04 AM »
The best way to deal with the apathetic attitude that GrammarNerd encountered is to call in the big guns.  If I'd been in her position, getting two expired food items and then being blown off when I complained, I'd make a call to the local health department.  They can and will shut down a restaurant for this sort of thing, and in cases where the staff proves unconcerned with the error they'll even walk in with a sheriff in attendance and tell them to close the doors on the spot.  You'd be amazed how fast the owner will make it right when his food license is on the line.

Virg

jayhawk

• my organizing website
« Reply #4534 on: August 29, 2013, 12:19:30 PM »
The best way to deal with the apathetic attitude that GrammarNerd encountered is to call in the big guns.  If I'd been in her position, getting two expired food items and then being blown off when I complained, I'd make a call to the local health department.  They can and will shut down a restaurant for this sort of thing, and in cases where the staff proves unconcerned with the error they'll even walk in with a sheriff in attendance and tell them to close the doors on the spot.  You'd be amazed how fast the owner will make it right when his food license is on the line.

Virg

My thoughts exactly.  Our local paper occasionally prints the health department reports for local restaurants. It does affect their business.

Diane AKA Traska

• Or you can just call me Diane. (NE USA EHellion)
« Reply #4535 on: August 29, 2013, 01:03:26 PM »
DH and I stopped at a Wendy's one night.  It was around 9:30pm; the sign on the door said the dining room was open til 10.  They had already begun closing for the night; the dining room chairs were all on top of tables, trash bags taken out of the bins, etc.  When we ordered our food, I couldn't get a baked potato because they were out, and something else (chili, maybe?) had already been cleaned up for the night.  We finally managed to get hamburgers and fries, all stale and near cold, and were told the dining room was closed, so we'd have to take the food to go.  Essentially, the employees had already shut the store down for the night and weren't interested in getting anything dirty again to make us fresh food, or risk having to clean up trash from two people eating.  I emailed Wendy's corporate with the details, and by noon the next day had the owner of that particular franchise location calling me and falling all over himself to apologize.  He said that all the staff would be retrained on proper closing procedures, and offered me a free meal, or vouchers for a free meal, or just about anything I wanted.  We were visiting DH's family at the time and weren't going to be near the store again, so I declined, but I did send a follow up email to corporate to let them know that the franchisee did take the complaint seriously and we were satisfied with the resolution.

Couldn't put your finger on it, huh?

Asharah

« Reply #4536 on: August 29, 2013, 01:06:53 PM »

Virg

My thoughts exactly.  Our local paper occasionally prints the health department reports for local restaurants. It does affect their business.
I remember a story where a person received a slice of pie that tasted funny and realized there was mold on the bottom.  :P Restaurant manager claimed he didn't know how to deduct it from bill or refund her money or some other such nonsense. I responded by speculating how fast he would have learned the necessary skill if she mentioned calling the health department and started dialing.
Asharah

Lorelei_Evil

« Reply #4537 on: August 29, 2013, 01:11:32 PM »

BWAHAHAHA - point to Diane.

ladyknight1

• Not all those who wander are lost
« Reply #4538 on: August 29, 2013, 01:34:06 PM »
My family and I once visited an Asian buffet restaurant in the middle of tourist central.

It was not clean. The tables weren't clean, the buffet wasn't clean. The prices were not posted, so we asked before ordering drinks. We got one plate of food each, and then realized the chicken wings were hot, but the interiors were completely raw. When I asked to speak to a manager, two teenagers came up and said they manage the buffet. I pointed out the chicken and they waved off the concerns and never removed the raw chicken from the buffet, then gave us our bill with a mandatory service fee of $2 per person added to the amount we had been given before ordering.

I took lots of pictures, reported them to our state's department of professional regulation and the local health department. They were shut down a week later.
ďAll that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost."
-J.R.R Tolkien

Shoo

« Reply #4539 on: August 29, 2013, 01:37:07 PM »

I must be really stoopid 'cuz I don't get it!

Elfmama

• Derailing threads since 2001!
« Reply #4540 on: August 29, 2013, 02:02:00 PM »

Several years ago a woman claimed to find a human finger in Wendy's chili.  There was a finger, all right, but she had planted it there in order to sue the restaurant chain.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
Common sense is not a gift, but a curse.  Because then
you have to deal with all the people who don't have it.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Morticia

• Stepmonster's Travels
« Reply #4541 on: August 29, 2013, 02:04:42 PM »

Several years ago a woman claimed to find a human finger in Wendy's chili.  There was a finger, all right, but she had planted it there in order to sue the restaurant chain.
From whence did she get the finger?
Now our mom says she's changed her mind about the devil's brood, they may be evil so she thinks, but at least they're never rude...
                                        -- Big Rude Jake

My travel blog: http://www.stepmonster.ca

Outdoor Girl

« Reply #4542 on: August 29, 2013, 02:07:40 PM »
Shoo, you aren't the only one who didn't get it.  I'm a little slow on the uptake sometimes...
After cleaning out my Dad's house, I have this advice:  If you haven't used it in a year, throw it out!!!!.
Ontario

artk2002

• The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4543 on: August 29, 2013, 02:11:24 PM »
Wait, Grammarnerd:  The store not only gives you well-past-expired items twice, acts like you're being difficult when you complain about it, and people think that the store handled it "fine?" Do you live next door to the doormat factory, or something? Sheesh. Once, I can understand -- mistakes happen -- if the store is apologetic about it. But to act like you're giving them a hard time?

Rob

I agree.

GrammarNerd, time to call the health department. They get *very* excited when stores sell expired food.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4544 on: August 29, 2013, 02:15:27 PM »

Rob

I agree.

GrammarNerd, time to call the health department. They get *very* excited when stores sell expired food.

Oh yea.
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture