Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1251061 times)

Wulfie

• I'm so pretty! Oh so pretty! - Morgan the Cat
    • Unique Weddings for Unique Couples
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4605 on: September 05, 2013, 01:19:51 PM »
One thing that always puzzles me about the "you can't use our bathroom" policy is when the store says "We don't have a bathroom."  Not "We don't have a bathroom for customers", but a lack of bathroom, period.  That can't be right, can it?

Yes it can. Some business centers do not have bathrooms at all. It stinks for employees who have to figure out somewhere else to go if nature calls especially if it is a small store and you are the only employee. I have watched the store for the owner of a bookstore we go to a lot so she can run across the parking lot to the fast food joint to use theirs.

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4606 on: September 05, 2013, 04:38:10 PM »
I stopped by a fabric (chain) store yesterday - needing to use the bathroom before I started shopping.....the only thing working was the sink....I felt sorry for the employees - but headed out to find a working bathroom elsewhere....

It wasn't that I didn't want to shop - it was that I had about five minutes to spare before embarrassing myself - I did pick up a small roll of ribbon (went by the display on the way from the bathroom at the back to the cash register/exit at the front). 

But leisurely shopping....was not happening.
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4607 on: September 06, 2013, 02:39:33 AM »
I have IBS, and any store or restaurant that refuses to let me use their bathroom, even if I've bought something, will lose my business forever.

Why does your chronic disease trump corporate or store policies?
I'll answer this. :) It's my policy not to have accidents in my pants while out in public. There have been many, many times where, if a store refused to let me use their bathroom, they would force me to violate my policy. And yes, complying with a store policy is quite a bit lower on my list of priorities than complying with MY policy. For that matter, a store that would tell a customer (or potential customer) 'We'd rather have you have an accident than let you use our loo', is not a store that I'd like to give my hard-earned money to.

From the POV of a both a once retail manager and a sufferer of IBS...I am not losing my job because of your chronic illness but I will tell you where the closest public restroom is and hope you make it. The staff restroom is in the back where my employees keep their personal belonging and we keep inventory. Further, I am not taking staff off the floor to stand back there while you do your thing then have that staff check the restroom to make sure nothing is missing.

That being said, if it was simply a "you have to be a customer" policy, I'd easily violate it so you could use the restroom.

No one has said they expect the retailer to break their policy, only that they reserve the right to not give them their business if their policy won't allow them to use their restroom.

I understand that and think it is absolutely your right to choose to not patronize the store.  All I was pointing out was my POV from the retail side of things.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Xandraea

« Reply #4608 on: September 07, 2013, 03:34:57 PM »
One thing that always puzzles me about the "you can't use our bathroom" policy is when the store says "We don't have a bathroom."  Not "We don't have a bathroom for customers", but a lack of bathroom, period.  That can't be right, can it?

I worked in a small store in a dying mall that did not have an in-store restroom.  We had at tiny storage area and that was it.  I often worked open-to-close shifts and if I needed to go I had to put the gate down with a sign on it saying "Back in 10" and walk down the mall into one of those deserted-feeling hallways to use the mall's restroom.

Reika

« Reply #4609 on: September 07, 2013, 06:02:18 PM »

I worked in a small store in a dying mall that did not have an in-store restroom.  We had at tiny storage area and that was it.  I often worked open-to-close shifts and if I needed to go I had to put the gate down with a sign on it saying "Back in 10" and walk down the mall into one of those deserted-feeling hallways to use the mall's restroom.

Yepyep, I worked in a little closet of a store in a mall and had the same thing. Most of the stores, even the big ones, didn't have any bathrooms, not even for the employees. So running to the bathroom was never a simple thing.

LadyClaire

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4610 on: September 07, 2013, 06:15:58 PM »

The store manager I worked for many years ago told us to tell customers we didn't have a bathroom. We did have a bathroom, but saying "we don't have one" tended to stop people from arguing that they should've been allowed to use it.

Jocelyn

« Reply #4611 on: September 07, 2013, 09:29:54 PM »

From the POV of a both a once retail manager and a sufferer of IBS...I am not losing my job because of your chronic illness but I will tell you where the closest public restroom is and hope you make it. 

That wouldn't change my resolve not to patronize your store. And yes, I've worked retail, and was told to tell customers that. But I knew, whenever I did, that we DID let customers use the staff bathroom from time to time. 

« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 09:34:25 PM by Jocelyn »

Mental Magpie

• Super Hero!
  • ...for the dark side looks back.
« Reply #4612 on: September 07, 2013, 09:46:01 PM »

From the POV of a both a once retail manager and a sufferer of IBS...I am not losing my job because of your chronic illness but I will tell you where the closest public restroom is and hope you make it. 

That wouldn't change my resolve not to patronize your store. And yes, I've worked retail, and was told to tell customers that. But I knew, whenever I did, that we DID let customers use the staff bathroom from time to time.

Which is absolutely fine.  I'm just saying it won't change my resolve to not let you use my bathroom.  We NEVER let customers do it in my store.  Some people are willing to break some rules for some circumstances, others aren't.  It doesn't mean we're callous and unsympathetic, though.
The problem with choosing the lesser of two evils is that you're still choosing evil.

Elfmama

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4613 on: September 07, 2013, 10:33:30 PM »
Let's not get so heated about the bathroom thing that this thread gets locked, OK?
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~
It's true. Money can't buy happiness.  You have to turn it
into books first.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

kherbert05

• Super Hero!
    • Trees downed in my yard by Ike and the clean up
« Reply #4614 on: September 07, 2013, 10:45:14 PM »
Grammarnerd I have two similar stories

1. We were in a local chain TexMex place. Big family meal. I complain my coke tastes funny. I'm ignored. I keep complaining. Finally my Mimmi takes a sip - about the same time the guy at the next table complains his rum and coke has no kick. Mr. Sam (the waiter) and Mary Neil (the owner) apologize figure out the Bartenders were making the drinks for both tables and there was a mix up. They changed policies so that all "plain" sodas and virgin drinks had white napkins and all mixed drinks with soda or could be mistaken for a "kids drink" had red napkins. (Mary Neil told Dad -they were did business together)

2. National chain franchise. I think I was underaged again (I've been legal 3 times due to changing laws). But my cousins were in ELEMENTARY SCHOOL. We ordered Virgin Daiquiris. I run to the restroom come out the drinks and appetizer is on the table. The kids whisper they made a mistake these taste like Daddy's and Mommy's not ours.  The waitress  bartender, and Manager refuse to fix the problem. Our drinks are fine - until some collage girls complain about getting our virgin drinks. Then they remade their drinks. I paid for the served food but only the price of our virgin drinks, (wasn't trusting them not to tamper with our food) left - and called Dad and asked how to report them to the TABC. Dad called the agent in charge of the Galleria area - that place was under a microscope till they got busted serving underaged patrons. (Just hope they weren't 7 and 10 like my cousins). Never went back - they closed but so did a bunch of restaurants around there.
Don't Teach Them For Your Past. Teach Them For Their Future

JolieFille

• I'm a Pixie! With Fangs! =P
« Reply #4615 on: September 08, 2013, 04:42:13 PM »
If I could not use FedEx ever again I wouldn't.  ; >:(

On Wednesday I had a very expensive package out for delivery. An Alienware computer. I waited. The guy shows up and starts digging about in his truck. Finally he looks at me, shrugs, and says he can't find it he'll be back later.

What?! Long conversation with customer support later and he shows back up in 20 minutes. He was pissed, and I could hear his supervisor on the phone and he didn't sound happy. I don't know what the issue was, I mean my box was only 20lbs and they load their truck in delivery order for the most part. I had no guarantee that he'd be back. He was even ruder when he took my ID # and saw that I'm pretty young and I could detect a bit of 'how can she afford this!?' attitude from him.   

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4616 on: September 08, 2013, 05:14:54 PM »
If I could not use FedEx ever again I wouldn't.  ; >:(

On Wednesday I had a very expensive package out for delivery. An Alienware computer. I waited. The guy shows up and starts digging about in his truck. Finally he looks at me, shrugs, and says he can't find it he'll be back later.

What?! Long conversation with customer support later and he shows back up in 20 minutes. He was pissed, and I could hear his supervisor on the phone and he didn't sound happy. I don't know what the issue was, I mean my box was only 20lbs and they load their truck in delivery order for the most part. I had no guarantee that he'd be back. He was even ruder when he took my ID # and saw that I'm pretty young and I could detect a bit of 'how can she afford this!?' attitude from him.

I think the issue was the driver was lazy and couldn't be bothered to keep looking :) glad you got your package though!

VorFemme

• Super Hero!
  • Strolls with scissors! Too tired to run today!
« Reply #4617 on: September 08, 2013, 06:38:44 PM »
Reminds me of the video someone posted of a deliver driver tossing his new computer (monitor? big screen tv?) over the locked wrought iron gate into his driveway...instead of ringing for someone to come sign for it.....

I understand that it got a LOT of views on YouTube and the guy had his expensive equipment replaced by the delivery company....and that driver is no longer working for them.

But, seriously, why are they so over scheduled that they literally don't have thirty seconds to wait for someone to come to the door to sign for things?
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 06:43:31 PM by VorFemme »
Let sleeping dragons be.......morning breath......need I say more?

cattlekid

« Reply #4618 on: September 08, 2013, 07:13:13 PM »
Good question.  I have definitely had instances where a package has been dropped that didn't require signing and between the time the driver rings the doorbell and I get to the door (we don't have a big house), he is either literally RUNNING to his truck or is already in the truck and driving off. 

Reminds me of the video someone posted of a deliver driver tossing his new computer (monitor? big screen tv?) over the locked wrought iron gate into his driveway...instead of ringing for someone to come sign for it.....

I understand that it got a LOT of views on YouTube and the guy had his expensive equipment replaced by the delivery company....and that driver is no longer working for them.

But, seriously, why are they so over scheduled that they literally don't have thirty seconds to wait for someone to come to the door to sign for things?

siamesecat2965

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4619 on: September 08, 2013, 07:36:12 PM »
Good question.  I have definitely had instances where a package has been dropped that didn't require signing and between the time the driver rings the doorbell and I get to the door (we don't have a big house), he is either literally RUNNING to his truck or is already in the truck and driving off. 

I call that the "ring and run' i live in an apt. Upstairs. You walk in my door, and along that wall is my couch, where I'm normally parked after work. UPS will buzz my apt, and i get up, open the door, and head down the stairs. 3 seconds tops. i open my door for teh package, and he's halfway down the sidewalk! thankfully, my complex is pretty safe and its only sitting there for maybe 30 seconds, but really?