Author Topic: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!  (Read 1093676 times)

MommyPenguin

• My blog!
Re: "I'm never shopping THERE again!" Share your story!
« Reply #4650 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:06 PM »
I feel sort of bad, sometimes, because I hear so many bad stories about delivery companies, and we have such good luck in general!  We order a *ton* of stuff from Amazon--we often have a delivery every few days.  They always arrive, safe, and in good condition.  FedEx, UPS, even the mail delivery. 

We did have an issue in our previous house with USPS, though.  We were working on the roof over the door and the gutters were removed, so the little outside mailbox would get wet.  When we went on vacation, we put a hold on our mail, asking them to hold it and then delivery it on Saturday.  They'd deliver it Friday, in the rain, and it would all get soaking wet.  So the next time, we were going to get home on Monday, so I asked them to deliver it on Wednesday, giving myself a buffer just in case.  Nope, didn't work.  They still delivered it on Monday (or maybe Saturday?) and it was soaking wet when we got home.  <sigh>  The next time I added like 4 days of buffer and it arrived the day after we got home, finally.

PastryGoddess

• My Image Portfolio and Store
« Reply #4651 on: September 10, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
UPS MyChoice has been my lifesaver.  They send me a notification the day before I am supposed to get a package and I can either tell them where to leave it or tell them to hold it at the depot for pickup.  You sign up online and it is free.

What is this choice you speak of???

suzieQ

« Reply #4652 on: September 10, 2013, 11:11:21 PM »
UPS MyChoice has been my lifesaver.  They send me a notification the day before I am supposed to get a package and I can either tell them where to leave it or tell them to hold it at the depot for pickup.  You sign up online and it is free.

What is this choice you speak of???

I started to sign up but there is a fee if I want to have it delivered somewhere else. Read the terms of service carefully.

Slartibartfast

• Super Hero!
    • Nerdy Necklaces - my Etsy shop!
« Reply #4653 on: September 11, 2013, 01:08:37 AM »
I ordered something from Amazon which turned out to be not what I wanted, so I had to return it.  The only option was UPS - I don't think I've ever actually shipped anything from other than the post office, so I wouldn't know where to go.  Luckily, Amazon/UPS offered home pick-up - all I had to do was to have it in a box and they'd show up with a shipping label and everything, so it was free.  Sounds good!

Yeah, the confirmation email I got told me they'd be by my house sometime in the next three days, and to have the box ready.  That's "sometime 8 AM - 8 PM," not any specific hours, and no, they didn't call ahead or give any warning.  I was lucky that the driver did show up the next day at a time I was home - I wasn't planning to sit around for three days straight waiting for them!

jedikaiti

• Swiss Army Nerd
  • A pie in the hand is worth two in the mail.
« Reply #4654 on: September 11, 2013, 01:17:40 AM »
You couldn't just drop it off?

I once ordered a few items from a website that sells pilot supplies - aviation headsets, flight bags, flying charts, etc.

I got a box with a 3-roll of white curling ribbon.

Seems their warehouse contractor made a mistake. They told me to keep the ribbon and they had the warehouse re-ship the correct stuff. <G>
What part of v_e = \sqrt{\frac{2GM}{r}} don't you understand? It's only rocket science!

"The problem with re-examining your brilliant ideas is that more often than not, you discover they are the intellectual equivalent of saying, 'Hold my beer and watch this!'" - Cindy Couture

Pen^2

« Reply #4655 on: September 11, 2013, 01:24:30 AM »
I ordered something from Amazon which turned out to be not what I wanted, so I had to return it.  The only option was UPS - I don't think I've ever actually shipped anything from other than the post office, so I wouldn't know where to go.  Luckily, Amazon/UPS offered home pick-up - all I had to do was to have it in a box and they'd show up with a shipping label and everything, so it was free.  Sounds good!

Yeah, the confirmation email I got told me they'd be by my house sometime in the next three days, and to have the box ready.  That's "sometime 8 AM - 8 PM," not any specific hours, and no, they didn't call ahead or give any warning.  I was lucky that the driver did show up the next day at a time I was home - I wasn't planning to sit around for three days straight waiting for them!

Ooh I can't stand this. I really feel it isn't reasonable to expect people to be at home all day for several days for something like this. If you think it's okay to expect me to take three days off work for something that could easily be organised with a more specific time, then I think it's okay to expect you to reimburse me the three days of wages I'll lose. Plumbers, handymen, etc. are more reasonable because their schedule changes during the day based on how long each job takes--but generally it's a "I'll be over sometime Tuesday afternoon, between 2pm and 7pm", not three flipping days. Although I did once have an electrician who kept insisting that he'd need me to keep the whole day clear, and then wouldn't find time to show up, and would need me to take yet another day off, for several days. My job just isn't that flexible: I can't just not come in at a day's notice, and this isn't unusual for many occupations.

He wasn't my electrician for very long.

Not every household has an adult in it who neither works nor has no commitments during the day. I would suspect that most homes, actually, don't.

lady_disdain

• Super Hero!
    • Contemporary Jewelry
« Reply #4656 on: September 11, 2013, 06:54:58 AM »
There is a new metal smithing magazine, Australian Goldsmith. Stay away - the people there are jerks.

I was looking over their website, wondering if there was a way to buy a single issue instead of subscribing. I came across their "News" sessions and I was very unimpressed - it read like something that Google translate had "written". For example, "For as long time, 1967 to be more exact, I entered the family jewelry business"

I decided to send them an email, mentioning how disappointing that is and how I hoped it was just a hiccough (ahem) since they had only printed their first issue a month ago.

Their charming response:

"Piotr
Trzeba skasowac ten text i dodac inny...
Ten o perlach trzeba poprawic..."

Sorry, nothing in the world would make me subscribe after that. I am irritated to be motivated to spread that little gem around the internet to their potential subscribers.

Carotte

« Reply #4657 on: September 11, 2013, 07:11:33 AM »
Not every household has an adult in it who neither works nor has no commitments during the day. I would suspect that most homes, actually, don't.

That's what I still find very baffling about our postal system.
I live in an apartment in a two building set up. You have the first set of doors from the street with a digicode (or just a button to press before 8pm) that gets you in a lobby with the mail box for the 2 buildings. right next to that you have the first building (with digicode) and after a small courtward my building, again with digicode. No where do you have a buzzer that lets you call for an apt and there will never be one; ever (buildings are way too old).

Normal course of action is postman gets there, buzz you, brings you your package if you're here or leave a note that he'll try again tomorrow if you're not, the package will only be available in two days at the post office.
Since he'll never be able to buzz (or even want to, poor postman if he has 20 packages and 187 floors to get up to!) and that it's absolutely useless to come by again, why in the ehell doesn't they just leave a note 'come pick it up, available today'?
I don't even know if they bother leaving the postoffice with the packages or not or if they do 'try again' (and do what, stand in the lobby for 10sec and leave?).
And that's the case for roughly 97% of the neighbourhood.

True, I've never went to the local postoffice and asked them if they had it from the first day, because there's a good chance it's not stored there yet.
I should ask next time.
They're only now starting to offer (only with very few merchants) the ability to just have it mailed to the postoffice.
They also built little hubs in train stations and big subway stations where they'll put your package, give you the code to the door and you just have to swing by and the way to work. It's not even manned so it's probably cheaper and more convenient for them too.
Another option sometimes is to have it delivered to your bakery or local café.
But all those are only for 'national' packages paid/sent by the post, it's not an option if I order from abroad.

Mel the Redcap

• Scheming Foreign Hussy!
« Reply #4658 on: September 11, 2013, 08:13:06 AM »
There is a new metal smithing magazine, Australian Goldsmith. Stay away - the people there are jerks.

I was looking over their website, wondering if there was a way to buy a single issue instead of subscribing. I came across their "News" sessions and I was very unimpressed - it read like something that Google translate had "written". For example, "For as long time, 1967 to be more exact, I entered the family jewelry business"

I decided to send them an email, mentioning how disappointing that is and how I hoped it was just a hiccough (ahem) since they had only printed their first issue a month ago.

Their charming response:

"Piotr

Sorry, nothing in the world would make me subscribe after that. I am irritated to be motivated to spread that little gem around the internet to their potential subscribers.

...they Google Translate-d their response to you? Did you work out what it said? :o
"Set aphasia to stun!"

Carotte

« Reply #4659 on: September 11, 2013, 08:21:14 AM »

Their charming response:

"Piotr

...they Google Translate-d their response to you? Did you work out what it said? :o

Peter
You have to delete the text and add other ...
This should be corrected by Süd ... "

:o

So Piotr is Peter, seems ok as far as names equivalents goes, but I don't know where Süd comes from and I get that in english, french and portuguese.
I'd say that answer wasn't meant for you lady-disdain
« Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 08:23:56 AM by Carotte »

Virg

• Super Hero!
« Reply #4660 on: September 11, 2013, 10:25:38 AM »
lady_disdain, I have to agree with Carotte that this message wasn't meant for you.  My guess is that your email got to the web site administrator, and he sent an email to the content people about doing something to the site text.  Somewhere during the conversation, someone accidentally addressed an email to you instead of (or in addition to) Piotr.  I actually think it's a good sign that a discussion about text is happening, because it's evidence that they're taking your comment seriously.

As a side note, from context I got the feeling that "Süd" is an abbreviation for a day, like one of us commenting about getting something done by "Sat" where a translator program wouldn't be able to come up with a reasonable conversion for such a thing.

Virg

artk2002

• Super Hero!
    • The Delian's Commonwealth
« Reply #4661 on: September 11, 2013, 11:00:59 AM »

Around where I live, there are several "UPS Store." In fact, there's one right across the street. I just returned something to Amazon by printing the label, taping it to the package and dropping it at the UPS Store.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bow lines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover. -Mark Twain

LadyJaneinMD

« Reply #4662 on: September 11, 2013, 11:59:30 AM »
I feel sort of bad, sometimes, because I hear so many bad stories about delivery companies, and we have such good luck in general!  We order a *ton* of stuff from Amazon--we often have a delivery every few days.  They always arrive, safe, and in good condition.  FedEx, UPS, even the mail delivery. 

It really does depend on where you live.  As an apartment dweller, I've lived in a lot of different apartments, in different towns.  One place, the UPS guys were all incompetent idiots and FedEx was a dream.  Next apartment, only 15 miles away, FedEx was miserable and UPS was wonderful!!  At least at my current place, it can all go to the office and I never have that problem again. 

Redneck Gravy

« Reply #4663 on: September 11, 2013, 01:04:42 PM »
I am very interested in this dropping off at the UPS store...

I have two packages to return to Amazon (one their error, one mine)

I was specifically told to drop it off at a UPS drop box, that dropping off at a store or having UPS pickup would incur a $6 charge

Of course one of the darn boxes won't fit in a UPS drop box, sigh...

So can I really drop it off at a store?

Goosey

« Reply #4664 on: September 11, 2013, 01:10:40 PM »
Check online - in my neighborhood, you can leave the boxes on your doorstep and USPS will pick it up. You just have to measure the size of the box and pay shipping online.